Paulding.com

Just WHY? is Beverly Cochran running for the Post 2 Commission Seat ?

Newly elected and/or appointed politicians generally bring in their own staff.

Those who were working for the previous administration have no job security once the new officials take office. The“closer” a job was to any such official, the less security it has when the politician departs.

That is a fact of life forall who work for elected and appointed officials from the city/county level to the State to the Federal levels. It is SOP to be replaced.

It seems Beverly Cochran thought her job was secure, forever, or at least until SHE chose to retire or leave. She had worked as Bill Carruth’s Administrative Assistant and Jerry Shearin kept her for 8 more years when he occupied the Chairman’s seat in 2001 through 2008.

When David Austin took office, in January 2009 he chose to replace Beverly Cochran. Instead of just laying her off, he made arrangements for her to take another job with the DA’s office, and from what I understand, at the same pay level.

So she went to work for Drew Lane at the DA’s Office upon leaving as the BOC Chairman’s assistant winter of 2009.

When it became evident the budget was going to require some MASSIVE cuts, because of the downturn in the economy, and the FACT the previous BOC administration in July/August of 2008chose not to increase the bond millage rate to service the bonds issued for the new Courthouse Administrative Complex and the Green Space purchase.

Instead of having an election year tax increase, Jerry Shearin and the BOC chose to service the bonds for 2008 from the funds in the country surplus account after they got caught publicly trying to SNEAK through a quiet back door tax increase.

So, when 2009 rolled in and David Austin took office, he was left with a depleted surplus account and had no choice but to increase the bond millage rates AND require virtually every county department to make severe and drastic budget cuts as well.

The DA’s Office Budget cutting included eliminating Beverly Cochran’s new job, and she was laid off summer of 2009.

So she hired an attorney and threatened to sue the county as a result of losing her job.

What The Hell?!?!

David Austin agreed to an out of court settlement with Beverly Cochran of $49,999.50 which was finalized and executed on September 1st,2009 “solely to avoid the expense of potential litigation and in compromise of disputed claims”.

And it appears Beverly Cochran then got to draw unemployment from September 1st 2009 until she qualified to run for the Post 2 commission seat in April, AND was paid her salary during the time her attorney and the County negotiated her settlement when she was laid off until September 1st.

Must be nice!

Does this mean any and all other county workers who were laid off can sue the county and collect a settlement agreement ?

How about the almost 300 teachers getting laid off at the end of the school term?

When your job is working for an elected politician there is no job guarantee or security of any sort when that politician gets defeated at the polls or retires. Life goes on. You get over it and hunt a new job.

And now Beverly Cochran wants to be elected to the BOC as the Commissioner for Post 2 ?

WHY?

Vindictive ?

Revenge on those who took her cushy job away ?

The 9 page settlement agreement and release will be posted in this thread once I figure out how if you want to read it.

I have said it before:

If you liked Jerry Shearin and his band of ROBBER BARON MEGA DEVELOPERS and how they have run the county for the past decade plus, then by all means support Beverly Cochran [and Jason Anavitarte ? As well?] and put Jerry’s voice and influence back on the BOC.

If you want to break the Good ‘Ol Boy network. once and for all then re-elect Tommie Graham and elect Todd Pownall to the BOC.

That will leave Larry Ragsdale and whoever replaces Kirby with 2 out of 5 votes to support the RBMDs and the Good ‘Ol Boys.

Beverly got her pound of flesh, and Paulding County needs to move on without the RBMDs continuing to pull the puppeteer strings.

Edited by Boss Hogg
Edited typos only
  • Like 2
  • Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is becoming quite comical isn't it? Surepip just keeps on "digging that hole" a little deeper and deeper - isn't there a song about that? What goes around, comes around..........

Of course they turned you down. Look how you act.

Newly elected and/or appointed politicians generally bring in their own staff.   Those who were working for the previous administration have no job security once the new officials take office. The

Newly elected and/orappointed politicians generally bring in their own staff.

Those who were working for the previousadministration have no job security once the new officials take office. The“closer” a job was to any such official, the less security it has when thepolitician departs.

That is a fact of life forall who work for elected and appointed officials from the city/county level tothe State to the Federal levels. It is SOP to be replaced.

It seems Beverly Cochranthought her job was secure, forever, or at least until SHE chose to retire orleave. She had worked as Bill Carruth’s Administrative Assistant and JerryShearin kept her for 8 more years when he occupied the Chairman’s seat in 2001 through 2008.

When David Austin took office, in January 2009 he chose to replaceBeverly Cochran. Instead of just laying her off, he made arrangements for herto take another job with the DA’s office, and from what I understand, at thesame pay level.

So she went to work for Drew Lane at theDA’s Office upon leaving as the BOC Chairman’s assistant winter of 2009.

When it became evident thebudget was going to require some MASSIVE cuts, because of the downturn in theeconomy, and the FACT the previous BOC administration in July/August of 2008chose not to increase the bond millage rate to service the bonds issued for thenew Courthouse Administrative Complex and the Green Space purchase.

Instead of having anelection year tax increase, Jerry Shearin and the BOC chose to service thebonds for 2008 from the funds in the country surplus account after they gotcaught publicly trying to SNEAK through a quiet back door tax increase.

So, when 2009 rolled in and David Austin took office, he was left with adepleted surplus account and had no choice but to increase the bond millagerates AND require virtually every county department to make severe and drastic budgetcuts as well.

The DA’s Office Budgetcutting included eliminating Beverly Cochran’s new job, and she was laid offsummer of 2009.

So she hired an attorney andthreatened to sue the county as a result of losing her job.

What The Hell?!?!

David Austin agreed to anout of court settlement with BeverlyCochran of $49,999.50 which was finalized and executed on September 1st,2009 “solelyto avoid the expense of potential litigation and in compromise of disputedclaims”.

And it appears BeverlyCochran then got to draw unemployment from September 1st 2009 until she qualified to run for the Post 2commission seat in April, AND was paid her salary during the time her attorneyand the County negotiated her settlement when she was laid off until September 1st.

Must be nice!

Does this mean any and allother county workers who were laid off can sue the county and collect asettlement agreement ?

How about the almost 300teachers getting laid off at the end of the school term?

When your job is working foran elected politician there is no job guarantee or security of any sort whenthat politician gets defeated at the polls or retires. Life goes on. You getover it and hunt a new job.

And now Beverly Cochranwants to be elected to the BOC as the Commissioner for Post 2 ?

WHY?

Vindictive ?

Revenge on those who tookher cushy job away ?

The 9 page settlementagreement and release will be posted in this thread once I figure out how ifyou want to read it.

I have said it before:

If you liked Jerry Shearinand his band of ROBBER BARON MEGA DEVELOPERS and how they have run the countyfor the past decade plus, then by all means support Beverly Cochran [and Jason Anavitarte ? As well?] and put Jerry’s voice and influenceback on the BOC.

If you want to break the Good ‘Ol Boynetwork. once and for all then re-elect Tommie Graham and elect Todd Pownall to the BOC.

That will leave Larry Ragsdale andwhoever replaces Kirby with 2 out of 5 votes to support the RBMDs and theGood ‘Ol Boys.

Beverly got her pound of flesh, and Paulding Countyneeds to move on without the RBMDs continuing to pull the puppeteer strings.

YAWN.... :wacko:

surepip, aren't you afraid you might get sued. I really hope you have not gotten ANY of these facts wrong. I still don't know why you have it in for this lady who seems to be a sweet person. Having worked for the previous administration is just not enough.

• Like 1

surepip, aren't you afraid you might get sued. I really hope you have not gotten ANY of these facts wrong. I still don't know why you have it in for this lady who seems to be a sweet person. Having worked for the previous administration is just not enough.

My thoughts too. Surepip I would seriously consider every single thing you say, because right now your post might have some facts to back it up by some of it does sound like your opinion. If it were about me, I would not be happy. :pardon:

The information I have posted is from an Open Records Request I made last week and received this week.

I asked some simple questions. Can you or someone from Beverly's campaign reply?

I don't have anything to do with her campaign.

I don't have anything to do with her campaign either and don't know any details. I have however worked in the legal industry long enough to know there are circumstances (such as a legal, binding contract of employment) that might have to be taken into consideration here. I don't know, it is just simply something that we ALL might want to take into consideration.......

That is all....time to get back on the beach and live up to my name of Beach Bum - weather is gorgeous, water is beautiful and the fish are biting. Happy Memorial Day weekend everyone! :drinks:

Edited by Beach Bum

YAWN.... :wacko:

Those who were working for the previous administration have no job security once the new officials take office. The“closer” a job was to any such official, the less security it has when the politician departs.

The DA’s Office Budget cutting included eliminating Beverly Cochran’s new job, and she was laid off summer of 2009.

So she hired an attorney and threatened to sue the county as a result of losing her job.

David Austin agreed to an out of court settlement with Beverly Cochran of $49,999.50 which was finalized and executed on September 1st,2009 “solely to avoid the expense of potential litigation and in compromise of disputed claims”.

Blackmail us citizens (indirectly by threatening a law suit)...take taxpayer monies...then ask to be elected by us! :wacko: :nea:

What a nice civic minded citizen!!!!

• Like 1

I don't have anything to do with her campaign either and don't know any details. I have however worked in the legal industry long enough to know there are circumstances (such as a legal, binding contract of employment) that might have to be taken into consideration here. I don't know, it is just simply something that we ALL might want to take into consideration.......

That is all....time to get back on the beach and live up to my name of Beach Bum - weather is gorgeous, water is beautiful and the fish are biting. Happy Memorial Day weekend everyone! :drinks:

I think that Beverly Cochran should come on P.com and defend her actions and explain her reasons for this

Heck this is a serious allegation, And I would hope that her campaign staff/and Beverly would address this issue in front of the 20,000 + members here on P.com

If she saw an opportunity in losing her job to squeeze $50,000 out of the county...how easy would it be for her to be swayed by the offer of other goodies for her vote?

Seems to me we have been down this road before?!!!! :angry2:

Blackmail us citizens (indirectly by threatening a law suit)...take taxpayer monies...then ask to be elected by us! :wacko: :nea:

What a nice civic minded citizen!!!!

She has a Post 2 Commissioner Campaign sign in Douglas County on Hwy 61 South. First driveway on the left, just past Highpoint Rd. I still say wipe the slate clean and start all over!!!!

She has a Post 2 Commissioner Campaign sign in Douglas County on Hwy 61 South. First driveway on the left, just past Highpoint Rd. I still say wipe the slate clean and start all over!!!!

I will nationally, as well as locally, vote for new representation – those who have not made a carrier of being in government or working for the government.

PCOM has now become the springboard of anything goes smear campaign with local candidates whether true or untrue, important or unimportant. Why this is even allowed is beyond me.:angry2:

This is not about Beverly at all.

This is the intentional smear campaign against Beverly because you have not made any headway with your lawsuit against the county of the previous BOC administration. You, Whitey and Feelip have done this before with previous BOC elections, not to mention, the BOE elections.

You are on this campaign due to the fact that Beverly was an employee of the previous administration who had NO powers whatsoever to affect any decisions made by the BOC or did she affect anything illegal or a party of any illegal decisions or activities.

If this is true, and if she won an out of court settlement, which would be within her constitutional rights to pursue if she felt wronged and obviously she did, it was within her rights to do so. Since she must have been right, it appears she won her case. Furthermore, she won outside of court which means, the county might have lost if it went to court as agreements with her employment possibly was the issue regardless. That is how 1/2 the cases work by doing an out of court settlement and IS completely irrelevant.

Surepip, you are pushing this personal vendetta way too far concerning Post 2, an area in which you do not even live in.

You are not attacking anybody else or as fiercly in any of the other Post races including Post 2.

I am disturbed that this site is allowing these attacks on this level based on a personal vendetta with the previous administration and Beverly being caught in the crossfire as a result.

Call it what you will, Surepip, but the past rants in the last elections and now this, the proof is in the pudding.

Your issue belong in the courts, not on here. Just because someone wants to serve the people of the county and in this case, Post 2 which is the post I live in, you come on here attacking her as if she is a party to any lawsuit you have with the county. Anyway you slice it, it is ethically wrong and I will speak up about it as I see fit.

I am not her campaign spokeman and no, she will not come on here to play games with some people trashing her for no reason whatsoever and accusing her of anything you can drum up is not only beyond absurd, but is without merit.

If she filed such a suit or threatened to do so concerning her employment, it is solely her private business, not anyone else's.

YOUR beef is with Jerry, so stick with that and leave Beverly out of this as she has no bearing in your case.

Yes, I am voting for her. However, what I said above has no bearing as such, just stating facts. And no, it is not blackmail. It does not matter whether a person is a government employee or not, they have constitutional rights to file if they feel wronged, period.

Now, let's stick to what she will do for us and leave this petty trashing out of it. :good:

• Like 2

If she saw an opportunity in losing her job to squeeze $50,000 out of the county...how easy would it be for her to be swayed by the offer of other goodies for her vote?

Seems to me we have been down this road before?!!!! :angry2:

Now that is an unfair accusation. She did nothing illegal and if she had NO case, she would not have made an issue about it now would she? :rolleyes:

If it walks like a duck.....talks like a duck.....smells like a duck.....

I but that sucker is a duck.

But for those of you who want to live in NaNa land, go ahead and pretend it is a goose. It's sheeze is still like a duck's.........clapping.gif

• Like 1

Now that is an unfair accusation. She did nothing illegal and if she had NO case, she would not have made an issue about it now would she? :rolleyes:

Is it really ?

I ask again, is it OK for all other county employees who have been laid off to hire an attorney and threaten to sue the county for their job loss?

What makes Beverly SPECIAL?

Or do we know the anwere ?

If it walks like a duck.....talks like a duck.....smells like a duck.....

I but that sucker is a duck.

But for those of you who want to live in NaNa land, go ahead and pretend it is a goose. It's sheeze is still like a duck's.........clapping.gif

Best you can do since you lost the argument? :pardon:

Is it really ?

I ask again, is it OK for all other county employees who have been laid off to hire an attorney and threaten to sue the county for their job loss?

If a contract is involved, yup, you bet or do contracts mean nothing to you?

Again, you lost the accusations. 8)

Edited by PraiseThee

Is it really ?

If I heard it correctly, it took the full commission to fire her and Austin made an agreement with her to transfer her to the DA's office and fund that job until her retirement, which was due to happen in the near future. I would want to get the time in for my retirement too. I think anyone would. They cut her job even after the agreement was made to fund it so she went to an attorney who worked out a settlement and she left after being given said settlement. I did not see anything illegal about it. Did I misunderstand what was said?

• Like 1

If I heard it correctly it took the full commission to fire her and Austin made an agreement with her to transfer her to the DA's office and fund the job until her retirement which was due to happen in the near future. I would want to get the time in for my retirement too. I think anyone would. They cut her job even after the agreement was made to fund it so she went to an attorney who worked out a settlement and she left after being given said settlement. I did not see anything illegal about it. Did I misunderstand what was said?

No, you saw just as I saw and she had a contract that was broken. Any person would sue if they had a contract and it was broken.

And once again, surepip fails to state all the facts...keep on talking surepip as you are beginning to really help out all of those you set out to belittle. Sometimes things just "backfire" on ya don't they? :lol:

Edited by Beach Bum
  • Like 3

If I heard it correctly, it took the full commission to fire her and Austin made an agreement with her to transfer her to the DA's office and fund that job until her retirement, which was due to happen in the near future. I would want to get the time in for my retirement too. I think anyone would. They cut her job even after the agreement was made to fund it so she went to an attorney who worked out a settlement and she left after being given said settlement. I did not see anything illegal about it. Did I misunderstand what was said?

I think you may want to go back and re-read the settlement agreement. There was no prior agreement to fund her job at the BOC or the DA. Just was kind of ironic that her new job at the DA's Office got cut because of oveall budget cuts caused by Sheain's failure to pay off the bond service fees with an increased tax. Instead, he and his entire administration including Beverly Cochran tried to get a SNEAKY back door tax approved. When they got caught doing so, the pulled back and let the tax increase die on the vine and as a result had to service the bonds from the general county budget. Which left us broke.

The BOC as a whole never voted anything concerning Beverly. Austin chose to do so on his own just to get it over with.

I think you may want to go back and re-read the settlement agreement. There was no prior agreement to fund her job at the BOC or the DA. Just was kind of ironic that her new job at the DA's Office got cut because of oveall budget cuts caused by Sheain's failure to pay off the bond service fees with an increased tax. Instead, he and his entire administration including Beverly Cochran tried to get a SNEAKY back door tax approved. When they got caught doing so, the pulled back and let the tax increase die on the vine and as a result had to service the bonds from the general county budget. Which left us broke.

The BOC as a whole never voted anything concerning Beverly. Austin chose to do so on his own just to get it over with.

Uh-ha.....in bold. Doing some backtracking now huh and adding a new accusation? :rolleyes:

Give it up, Surepip, you lost the issue.

That is a fact of life forall who work for elected and appointed officials from the city/county level to the State to the Federal levels. It is SOP to be replaced.

It seems Beverly Cochran thought her job was secure, forever, or at least until SHE chose to retire or leave. She had worked as Bill Carruth’s Administrative Assistant and Jerry Shearin kept her for 8 more years when he occupied the Chairman’s seat in 2001 through 2008.

When David Austin took office, in January 2009 he chose to replace Beverly Cochran. Instead of just laying her off, he made arrangements for her to take another job with the DA’s office, and from what I understand, at the same pay level.

So she went to work for Drew Lane at the DA’s Office upon leaving as the BOC Chairman’s assistant winter of 2009.

When it became evident the budget was going to require some MASSIVE cuts, because of the downturn in the economy, and the FACT the previous BOC administration in July/August of 2008chose not to increase the bond millage rate to service the bonds issued for the new Courthouse Administrative Complex and the Green Space purchase.

Instead of having an election year tax increase, Jerry Shearin and the BOC chose to service the bonds for 2008 from the funds in the country surplus account after they got caught publicly trying to SNEAK through a quiet back door tax increase.

So, when 2009 rolled in and David Austin took office, he was left with a depleted surplus account and had no choice but to increase the bond millage rates AND require virtually every county department to make severe and drastic budget cuts as well.

What The Hell?!?!

And it appears Beverly Cochran then got to draw unemployment from September 1st 2009 until she qualified to run for the Post 2 commission seat in April, AND was paid her salary during the time her attorney and the County negotiated her settlement when she was laid off until September 1st.

Must be nice!

Does this mean any and all other county workers who were laid off can sue the county and collect a settlement agreement ?

How about the almost 300 teachers getting laid off at the end of the school term?

When your job is working for an elected politician there is no job guarantee or security of any sort when that politician gets defeated at the polls or retires. Life goes on. You get over it and hunt a new job.

And now Beverly Cochran wants to be elected to the BOC as the Commissioner for Post 2 ?

WHY?

Vindictive ?

Revenge on those who took her cushy job away ?

The 9 page settlement agreement and release will be posted in this thread once I figure out how if you want to read it.

I have said it before:

If you liked Jerry Shearin and his band of ROBBER BARON MEGA DEVELOPERS and how they have run the county for the past decade plus, then by all means support Beverly Cochran [and Jason Anavitarte ? As well?] and put Jerry’s voice and influence back on the BOC.

If you want to break the Good ‘Ol Boy network. once and for all then re-elect Tommie Graham and elect Todd Pownall to the BOC.

That will leave Larry Ragsdale and whoever replaces Kirby with 2 out of 5 votes to support the RBMDs and the Good ‘Ol Boys.

Beverly got her pound of flesh, and Paulding County needs to move on without the RBMDs continuing to pull the puppeteer strings.

Why did you leave out the fact she had a contract from David Austin? I do believe if you have a contract that you have a right to pursue it.If you had a contract with someone and they did not fulfill their end of said contract would you just say oh well and move on?

I am completley lost as to why this came up, why you are behind it,and especially since you do not even live in that post.

PCOM has now become the springboard of anything goes smear campaign with local candidates whether true or untrue, important or unimportant. Why this is even allowed is beyond me.:angry2:

This is not about Beverly at all.

This is the intentional smear campaign against Beverly because you have not made any headway with your lawsuit against the county of the previous BOC administration. You, Whitey and Feelip have done this before with previous BOC elections, not to mention, the BOE elections.

You are on this campaign due to the fact that Beverly was an employee of the previous administration who had NO powers whatsoever to affect any decisions made by the BOC or did she affect anything illegal or a party of any illegal decisions or activities.

If this is true, and if she won an out of court settlement, which would be within her constitutional rights to pursue if she felt wronged and obviously she did, it was within her rights to do so. Since she must have been right, it appears she won her case. Furthermore, she won outside of court which means, the county might have lost if it went to court as agreements with her employment possibly was the issue regardless. That is how 1/2 the cases work by doing an out of court settlement and IS completely irrelevant.

Surepip, you are pushing this personal vendetta way too far concerning Post 2, an area in which you do not even live in.

You are not attacking anybody else or as fiercly in any of the other Post races including Post 2.

I am disturbed that this site is allowing these attacks on this level based on a personal vendetta with the previous administration and Beverly being caught in the crossfire as a result.

Call it what you will, Surepip, but the past rants in the last elections and now this, the proof is in the pudding.

Your issue belong in the courts, not on here. Just because someone wants to serve the people of the county and in this case, Post 2 which is the post I live in, you come on here attacking her as if she is a party to any lawsuit you have with the county. Anyway you slice it, it is ethically wrong and I will speak up about it as I see fit.

I am not her campaign spokeman and no, she will not come on here to play games with some people trashing her for no reason whatsoever and accusing her of anything you can drum up is not only beyond absurd, but is without merit.

If she filed such a suit or threatened to do so concerning her employment, it is solely her private business, not anyone else's.

YOUR beef is with Jerry, so stick with that and leave Beverly out of this as she has no bearing in your case.

Yes, I am voting for her. However, what I said above has no bearing as such, just stating facts. And no, it is not blackmail. It does not matter whether a person is a government employee or not, they have constitutional rights to file if they feel wronged, period.

Now, let's stick to what she will do for us and leave this petty trashing out of it. :good:

PraiseThee

Since you have included me in your rant against Surepip I will also respond to your post you state

“PCOM has now become the springboard of anything goes smear campaign with local candidates whether true or untrue, important or unimportant. Why this is even allowed is beyond me”
You may think that is a smear but I can assure it is no smear campaign on my part and have nothing to gain or lose if Surepip wins or loses his lawsuit.

I have not posted anything that I cannot back up and will continue to post items that I think is of interest to voters.

I find it quite amusing that almost on a daily basis you and others rant and rave About the Democrats and President Obama But feel that the politicians on the local level should simply get a free ride, And nothing about them should be raised WTH do you think you are, Some kind of god, That has the right to determine was is being said in a public forum. If you do not like what is being said, do not log on and participate, Hell buy the site from Pubby and make your own rules, but please quit your whining

I have just as much right’s to post my opinions in a local race as you do, and intend to continue to do so.

Just think If the affair with Reprehensive Stout and his mother in law had come out prior to the beginning of early voting the outcome of that election could have been entirely different, You supported Stout and that was fine with me and your right, Yet you did not accuse those that brought out the facts on Stout as a smear campaign

Just today in another thread I read where another candidate (Jason Anavitarte) while serving on the City Council in Doraville was coddling to the Gay and Lesbian rights group and attempting to get items passed in the City Council for their benefit, Do you consider that is a smear to bring that out, Nope that is no smear it is facts about a candidate that has offered himself for election in the post 4 commissioners race, And all citizens should be aware of his past actions where they can make an informed choice

I did not encourage Beverly Cochran to run for post 2 commission race, And I am quite sure that she was completely aware that she would be linked to the previous administration, Fact is when I heard her first speak at the women’s republican meeting she attempted to distant herself from that administration And to be quite frank with you she was a part of that administration and she will have to take the good and the bad that comes along for being associated with it.

You might want to go do some more investigation surepip and be ready to back up your claims.

Yes you heard correctly.

But remember there is politics involved in this and there are competing factions in the county.

That there are five votes on the commission and when Chairman Austin came in, three of those five votes wanted to keep Ms. Cochran over the chairman's objection is politics.

That is actually 'pretty strong' in terms of politics. Indeed, in this time of severe government cutbacks, few teachers or state and county employees have the pull to get a letter like the one written for her that would promised them a job through the July 2011.

I think the relevant issue here is that she had the political power to gain leverage enough to get the letter written by someone who really didn't want to write it (Austin.)

But the point as far as the current race is concerned is that she much more than a dutiful assistant to the former chairmen (Shearin and Carruth) but a powerful player with political skills and abilities enough to avoid being pushed into the cold with little to nothing in the way of severence, unlike most in government who lost their jobs and became hapless victims of the economy.

I do understand why David Austin, having already been forced by Ms. Cochran to do something he didn't want to do (sign the letter), would not find her presence on the board a reason for celebration.

But in my interview with David, he acknowledged with a smile that she certainly has the right to run for the post and if elected, the right to sit on the board.

pubby

:good:

Amen. I would rather have a bunch of uneasy enemies on that board than a bunch of too easy friends. At least that way they keep one another honest- and when they do actually do something they agree on it is something that is necessary- and not scratching some buddy's back.

When King J does a $49k deal with the former county manager it is an impeachable offense. When King D does it no one bats an eye? Why would he settle a case for $50k if there wasn't something to it? Obviously, we know that legal expenses mean nothing to the county. Exhibit: Holland and Knight's $750k bill for Surepip's case. Perhaps the open records request that everyone keeps talking about is to find out the details of Beverly's case and settlement?

Amen. I would rather have a bunch of uneasy enemies on that board than a bunch of too easy friends. At least that way they keep one another honest- and when they do actually do something they agree on it is something that is necessary- and not scratching some buddy's back.

When King J does a $49k deal with the former county manager it is an impeachable offense. When King D does it no one bats an eye? Why would he settle a case for $50k if there wasn't something to it? Obviously, we know that legal expenses mean nothing to the county. Exhibit: Holland and Knight's $750k bill for Surepip's case. Perhaps the open records request that everyone keeps talking about is to find out the details of Beverly's case and settlement?

I'd like to see the details of SUREPIP's case. Sure looks like he's cost the taxpayers more money than Beverly did. :) :) :)

• Like 3

Yes you heard correctly.

But remember there is politics involved in this and there are competing factions in the county.

That there are five votes on the commission and when Chairman Austin came in, three of those five votes wanted to keep Ms. Cochran over the chairman's objection is politics.

That is actually 'pretty strong' in terms of politics. Indeed, in this time of severe government cutbacks, few teachers or state and county employees have the pull to get a letter like the one written for her that would promised them a job through the July 2011.

I think the relevant issue here is that she had the political power to gain leverage enough to get the letter written by someone who really didn't want to write it (Austin.)

But the point as far as the current race is concerned is that she much more than a dutiful assistant to the former chairmen (Shearin and Carruth) but a powerful player with political skills and abilities enough to avoid being pushed into the cold with little to nothing in the way of severence, unlike most in government who lost their jobs and became hapless victims of the economy.

I do understand why David Austin, having already been forced by Ms. Cochran to do something he didn't want to do (sign the letter), would not find her presence on the board a reason for celebration.

But in my interview with David, he acknowledged with a smile that she certainly has the right to run for the post and if elected, the right to sit on the board.

pubby

Nice spin on the matter... :rolleyes:

Yes you heard correctly.

pubby

Relevant issue? Did Austin state he was forced to sign that letter or is that your own opinion? (you reiterated that so I would like to know) She received a "severance" (settlement) because the conditions in her contract were not met. I would do the same if I had something guaranteeing (in writing) me a particular thing and then it did not happen. Would you not? If you have a contract with someone and they do not fulfill it, what would you do?

I do not know Cochran, only what I have read on this site. I realize Surpip is hell bent on getting all "new" people in, and that I suspect is because of his pending litigation. A new commission, maybe a better outcome for him. (That is NOT saying he is wrong, he might be totally in the right, just saying this one and the past has not worked with him to work it out) I do not understand you and others acting as if she is some major power player, wheeler dealer, and insinuating that she has done the county wrong.

No way would I every run for office in this county and hats off to anyone that does. It is ugly and just not worth having your name smeared by seemingly vindictive people. It is a shame that local politics has to be like this.