Paulding.com

Lets see how the election is looking

Some questions on the July 20 ballot  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Voters are being asked to renew the SPLOST (one cent sales tax). How are you leaning?

• Favor renewal of the SPLOST
    • Reject renewal of the SPLOST
    • Undecided
  2. 2. Do you plan to vote in the Republican or Democratic Primary?

• I plan to vote in the Republican Primary
    • I plan to vote in the Democratic Primary
    • undecided
  3. 3. Republican primary voters, who do you support for the District 19 House Seat?

• Paulette Rakestraw Braddock
    • Steve R. Golden
    • Daniel Stout (I)
    • Undecided
    • NA: Voting in Democratic primary
  4. 4. Republican primary voters will choose the next District Attorney. Who do you support for this office

• Dick Donovan
    • Drew Lane (I)
    • Chad Plumley
    • Undecided
  5. 5. Republican Primary voters within the various districts will choose the next Post 2 commissioner. Who do you support?

• Beverly Cochran
    • Adam Gregory
    • Todd Pownall
    • Undecided
  6. 6. Republican Primary voters within the various districts will choose the next Post 3 commissioner. Who do you support?

• H.V. Collett II
    • Tommie Graham (I)
    • Undecided
  7. 7. Republican Primary voters within the various districts will choose the next Post 4 commissioner. Who do you support?

• Jason Anavitarte
    • David Barnett
    • Earl Cosgrove
    • Tony Crowe
    • Undecided
  8. 8. There is but one local candidate running as a Democrat. Will Avery is running for District 19. What do you think about that?

• I think it is good, we should all encourage a two-party system.
    • I think that everyone should be a Republican in Paulding
    • He hasn't a chance of getting my vote in November
    • Depending on who gets the Republican nomination, I might vote for him.
    • I wish there were more Democrats running

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not that it matters but I will be voting in the July election; however, I SURE AS HECK will not be voting in this poll.

You obviously don't know or understand anything about Steve Golden. He claims to be a christian but I have serious reservations about that. Have you ever met someone who would sale their grandma a roc

Why the HECK not?

Care to share why you are so impressed with mr Golden

(1) Small businessman who knows what the issues are for business and jobs.

(2) Has served the County in the past and knows the issues affecting schools and teachers

(3) Has experience with the budgets in Paulding County and the challenges in trying to balance budgets.

(4) Understands the issue of Federal Mandates and the strings they bring

(5) Seems to be able to get his ideas across and speak so he is understood.

(6) Seems to care about Paulding County and her citizens and does not have any other agenda.

These are a few of my reasons. I will be looking for more info on him. I think I know enough about the other candidates to compare them and what they will bring to this office.

It is my understanding that the school systems doubled in size due to Paulding Countys growth explosion between the years of 1999 & 2008. Goldens term on BOE was previous to those years, please do not quote me but I believe the years he served were between 88 - 99 which would contradict the fact that he consistently voted for tax increases in order to build new schools.

Having said that, I also agree with the earlier statement that we should not be basing this election on the voting history of the BOE.

Getting to know the individual candidates goals & interests for Paulding County would always be done best by contacting them personally or attending any of the local Meet & Greets.

I am not sure when the School system Doubled in size But I am sure when two of the largest bond issues were issued to Build the new schools The first one was issued under the current school SPLOST, And the second was for $125 million voted down in 2006 and passed in 2007 Which so happened to coincide with another Candidate who is running in the District 19 race who served on the School Board during this period of time (Paulette Braddock) I also recall that during Braddock tenure GYMS, Auditoriums, And the Taj Mah Hal was built during her term Does not appear to be fiscally conservative to me.

The record will also reflect that while Mr. Golden was serving on the school board when The first School SPLOST was passed and has renewed and passed every time since

I am not sure when the School system Doubled in size But I am sure when two of the largest bond issues were issued to Build the new schools The first one was issued under the current school SPLOST, And the second was for $125 million voted down in 2006 and passed in 2007 Which so happened to coincide with another Candidate who is running in the District 19 race who served on the School Board during this period of time (Paulette Braddock) I also recall that during Braddock tenure GYMS, Auditoriums, And the Taj Mah Hal was built during her term Does not appear to be fiscally conservative to me.

The record will also reflect that while Mr. Golden was serving on the school board when The first School SPLOST was passed and has renewed and passed every time since

PLEASE explain to the good folks of Paulding how you can possibly relate the "Taj Mah Hal" to the school board????

PLEASE explain to the good folks of Paulding how you can possibly relate the "Taj Mah Hal" to the school board????

I believe Whitey is referring to the Taj Mahal I, aka BOE Building on Business 6/Merchants Drive.

Taj Mahal II, and III would be the Administration Complex/Courthouse on 278.

At the time the BOE building was completed, the BOE was out of money. They stonewalled the open records requests with absurd amounts demanded to provide a paper trail for invoices from The Facility Group less than 6 months prior on the BOE building work. It "appeared" the last invoices were paid with funds from the newer SPLOST, which did not include any funding for the BOE building.

Actually there were two Taj Mah Hal's Built in Paulding County One Was the Courthouse Built by the County without voter approval. By the Previous county commissioners?adminstration.

The other was the New Administration Building built by the Board of education on Atlanta Hwy. Using School SPLOST/ Bond dollars to build.

To jog your memory a bit During the most recent school bond election one of the main issues in that election was the use of bond/SPLOST dollars was the School Board agreed to use those dollars to build them a fancy (TAJ MAH HAL) instead of building classrooms for the kids in addition to the three gyms and auditoriums

Do you remember this?

YES, there are posts that involve allegations regarding the local builder, Steve Golden, who is running for a House Seat in District 19 and THEY ARE NOT TRUE!!!!!

Steve Golden has never filed bankruptcy, NOR has his company filed bankruptcy.

Almost everything that has been posted about Steve is FALSE. He is not a developer. The earnest money $8000 was non-refundable earnest money. He started a pre-sale in Chestnut Hills Subdivision and he remembers it very well. His real estate agent (who has been in business for many, many years and like Steve, is very well respected) remembers it very well also. The buyer kept on spending $$$ on EXTRAS as he built the home. He paid invoices with the $8000 for expenses incurred from the upgrades. They were never able to sell their current home, so they could not qualify for a loan. The lender tried and tried but could not get them qualified. This occured when the market began to crash. The original sales price per the contract was over $300,000. Twelve months later that home sold for approx $225,000 and Mr. Golden still has a copy of the original contract. The contract clearly stated the earnest money was NON-REFUNDABLE!!!

He did vote to raise the milleage rate when he was on the school board. It was always a unanimous vote! As Paulding County was at the time the 7th fastest growing county in the country and he felt like (after being supplied all the necessary information to make an informed decision), had no choice, but to vote to build new schools - the children had to be provided an education and he simply felt like he was fulfilling his obligations as a responsible school board member to ensure that ALL of our Paulding County students received the education they deserve. Regardless of what anyone thinks, it is not a simple task to make decisions that involve the 7th fastest growing county in the nation and to make sure our children are being taken care of.

You know what the sad thing of this entire issue is? All I had to do is to send Mr. Golden an email to get all my questions answered as would anyone here on paulding.com that chooses to do so. It is not complicated, it is actually quite simple and I truly am appalled that some here would just believe what they read on paulding.com without checking it out.

Come on people, call the guy - get the REAL FACTS, rather than what someone is posting here here while hiding behind anonymous screen names. I'm sure Mr. Golden will be glad to share the TRUE FACTS with you if you will simply PICK UP THE PHONE, CALL HIM OR SEND HIM AN EMAIL.

I am not by any stretch of the imagination blasting or attempting to insult any of the other candidates for this position. I sincerely admire anyone who runs for public office these days as you can all well see what happens on websites such as this when untruths are sometimes posted. And we wonder why we have a shortage of candidates............

The truth is that 1999-2006 is the time period when Paulding was the 7th fastest growing county, and also was the highest growth period for schools (can be documented on state website archives). As a matter of fact, during THIS period,25 new schools were built, which does not coincide with Golden's reason for tax increases, as his last year of 12, was in 2000,on BOE. Apparently, he has at least acknowledged voting for many tax increases and to “some” level of baggage regarding his building career. I think he would also agree that the over building of homes by him and other builders, is what has led in part,to the some of the problems that Paulding is now facing. I guess my thought is that we don’t need controversy and discontent! We need someone who doesn't NEED this job to affect the direction of his own industry’s special interests,(as I am beginning to fear he might), based on some of those who are supporting him and his relationship with the old Paulding commission folks. When he said on the video that he would back the commission when given a chance,it gave me great pause. We need someone who WANTS the job in order to be an effective voice for Paulding citizens. Right now, if the only mud you can sling at Braddock is that she voted once, for a tax increase that would have passed anyway, during the REAL time of most growth 2000-2008, then I'd say she's well ahead of the rest of this crew. Stout is a whole other story, (an not a very good one.)

The truth is that 1999-2006 is the time period when Paulding was the 7th fastest growing county, and also was the highest growth period for schools (can be documented on state website archives). As a matter of fact, during THIS period,25 new schools were built, which does not coincide with Golden's reason for tax increases, as his last year of 12, was in 2000,on BOE. Apparently, he has at least acknowledged voting for many tax increases and to “some” level of baggage regarding his building career. I think he would also agree that the over building of homes by him and other builders, is what has led in part,to the some of the problems that Paulding is now facing. I guess my thought is that we don’t need controversy and discontent! We need someone who doesn't NEED this job to affect the direction of his own industry’s special interests,(as I am beginning to fear he might), based on some of those who are supporting him and his relationship with the old Paulding commission folks. When he said on the video that he would back the commission when given a chance,it gave me great pause. We need someone who WANTS the job in order to be an effective voice for Paulding citizens. Right now, if the only mud you can sling at Braddock is that she voted once, for a tax increase that would have passed anyway, during the REAL time of most growth 2000-2008, then I'd say she's well ahead of the rest of this crew. Stout is a whole other story, (an not a very good one.)

Now this is a good post supported by some facts I relly would like to see the e-mail that BB alleged to have sent/received it would certaintly seperate the wheat from the chafe.

I still disagree that Paulette only voted for one tax increase though

I believe Whitey is referring to the Taj Mahal I, aka BOE Building on Business 6/Merchants Drive.

At the time the BOE building was completed, the BOE was out of money. They stonewalled the open records requests with absurd amounts demanded to provide a paper trail for invoices from The Facility Group less than 6 months prior on the BOE building work. It "appeared" the last invoices were paid with funds from the newer SPLOST, which did not include any funding for the BOE building.

I would add that they ran out of money without building a SINGLE school classroom that had been promised in the campaign during the original SPLOST vote.

While a new BOE building was needed (the old one was a dump), my complaint was that they seemed to have put a high priority on the BOE building and the showplace completion gyms and theaters ("like Cobb County has") rather than on the new schools and classrooms they promised during the SPLOST campaign. The classrooms would have been qualified for matching funds from the state, which then could have been used for the gyms and theaters. But instead, they blew all the SPLOST Bond money in one wad and that was it.

The North Paulding Complex (Elem,Middle and High) funding was to be included in the last SPLOST vote. However, construction wasn't even STARTED when the BOE came hat in hand to the property tax payers of the county saying they had no money and the schools were overcrowded and they would be forced to double sessions if we didn't give them the the $125,000,000 Bond.

The BOE of that time showed a definite lack of a sense of priority and financial sense to me.

Anybody on the BOE at that time would be highly suspect. I don't think I'd want them handling any more of my money.

Actually there were two Taj Mah Hal's Built in Paulding County One Was the Courthouse Built by the County without voter approval. By the Previous county commissioners?adminstration.

The other was the New Administration Building built by the Board of education on Atlanta Hwy. Using School SPLOST/ Bond dollars to build.

To jog your memory a bit During the most recent school bond election one of the main issues in that election was the use of bond/SPLOST dollars was the School Board agreed to use those dollars to build them a fancy (TAJ MAH HAL) instead of building classrooms for the kids in addition to the three gyms and auditoriums

Do you remember this?

I recall. I guess I didn't realize you lacked the creativity to come up with 2 different names so that it would be easier to distinguish which one you are referring to. It's still my opinion that neither building is above and beyond or anywhere near "Taj Mahal" status. But hey, that's just me.

I would add that they ran out of money without building a SINGLE school classroom that had been promised in the campaign during the original SPLOST vote.

While a new BOE building was needed (the old one was a dump), my complaint was that they seemed to have put a high priority on the BOE building and the showplace completion gyms and theaters ("like Cobb County has") rather than on the new schools and classrooms they promised during the SPLOST campaign. The classrooms would have been qualified for matching funds from the state, which then could have been used for the gyms and theaters. But instead, they blew all the SPLOST Bond money in one wad and that was it.

The North Paulding Complex (Elem,Middle and High) funding was to be included in the last SPLOST vote. However, construction wasn't even STARTED when the BOE came hat in hand to the property tax payers of the county saying they had no money and the schools were overcrowded and they would be forced to double sessions if we didn't give them the the $125,000,000 Bond.

The BOE of that time showed a definite lack of a sense of priority and financial sense to me.

Anybody on the BOE at that time would be highly suspect. I don't think I'd want them handling any more of my money.

I am more concerned with the relationship between the county (BOE and BOC) and The Facilities Group. I feel that a lot was swept under the rug. I want to ask Roy Barnes if part of his "scrubbing corruptness out of the gold dome" includes investigating the state representative from Powder Springs and his business deals with Georgia counties when he was also employeed by The Facilities Group. There sure appears to be a conflict of interest. But then I am just a dumb ol' country boy.

I recall. I guess I didn't realize you lacked the creativity to come up with 2 different names so that it would be easier to distinguish which one you are referring to. It's still my opinion that neither building is above and beyond or anywhere near "Taj Mahal" status. But hey, that's just me.

I agree 100%. BUT, we could have built the same building for less money had the design been competitively bid to an architectural firm and the construction awarded to a general contractor through a typical bidding process.

Now this is a good post supported by some facts I relly would like to see the e-mail that BB alleged to have sent/received it would certaintly seperate the wheat from the chafe.

I still disagree that Paulette only voted for one tax increase though

Could actually have been written by an opposing candidate! Sounds like a try at deflecting the issues of today back to the issues of yesterday. The question seems to be are we going to judge two of these candidates based on their BOE records. I don't remember having the taxes even in 2000 that we have now. I don't think Golden was on the BOE when those went so high. I think a large portion of our property taxes go to the school system. The big ones were voted in before the 2008 election. I personally, am getting rather sick of hearing some try to demonize Golden because he is a small builder. Last time I looked it is a business that is needed and should be respected. I don't think he deserves to be painted with the same brush that some have used to paint the big developers and builders.

I agree 100%. BUT, we could have built the same building for less money had the design been competitively bid to an architectural firm and the construction awarded to a general contractor through a typical bidding process.

Feelip it could not be bid competively, Thw good old boy'd would of lost the campaign contributions if that had occured :lol:

Could actually have been written by an opposing candidate! Sounds like a try at deflecting the issues of today back to the issues of yesterday. The question seems to be are we going to judge two of these candidates based on their BOE records. I don't remember having the taxes even in 2000 that we have now. I don't think Golden was on the BOE when those went so high. I think a large portion of our property taxes go to the school system. The big ones were voted in before the 2008 election. I personally, am getting rather sick of hearing some try to demonize Golden because he is a small builder. Last time I looked it is a business that is needed and should be respected. I don't think he deserves to be painted with the same brush that some have used to paint the big developers and builders.

yea If I had made that post it would be called bashing :D

Feelip it could not be bid competively, Thw good old boy'd would of lost the campaign contributions if that had occured laugh.gif

yea If I had made that post it would be called bashing biggrin.gif

I tried very hard not to bash anyone. I just stated the facts as I see them. I can state this as fact because I have lived here for a long long time and remember. I guess I could pull my property tax bills since 1990 or so and really see what the difference is. I know that they did not bother me much and Paulding had some of the lowest taxes around until 2005 or 2006 maybe. That was part of the reason that people started to buy here. Oh well I will have to go look now to be sure. unsure.gif

I checked and they have almost doubled since 2000. They really started to take off about 2003. Don't think Golden did that!!!rolleyes.gif

I am more concerned with the relationship between the county (BOE and BOC) and The Facilities Group. I feel that a lot was swept under the rug. I want to ask Roy Barnes if part of his "scrubbing corruptness out of the gold dome" includes investigating the state representative from Powder Springs and his business deals with Georgia counties when he was also employeed by The Facilities Group. There sure appears to be a conflict of interest. But then I am just a dumb ol' country boy.

I agree 100% with you there. I remember reading in the BOE minutes about them approving another couple of hundred thousand $$$ to TFG on South Paulding High when the contract they signed was a "Absolute Maximum Cost" or something like that. Even a BOE member was complaining of why they were paying more with a signed contract. But they did it anyway. Lack of competitive bidding always worries me.

Of course, even *with* a bidding process, the bid can be rigged big time, my old company did bids all the the time where the specs were written where only one company's equipment would meet it.

I doubt we'll ever get any answers now, the documents are buried in the BOE archives and if Whitey's experience was any guide, they'd ask a king's ransom to get to them.

What she fails to tell you all is that I followed the rules regarding the order of cases to which I was to report, arrived on schedule to try her case (a temporary matter) and her problem is that she didn't like the judge's decision. The file is in order. I spoke to her new attorney yesterday and there's no problem other than her dissatisfaction with the judge's ruling.

If so many people are dissatisfied with me, why do many come to me after my having been highly recommended? Not everyone gets what he or she wants when he or she goes to court, but the vast majority of the more than 4,000 people I've represented are ore than happy with my services.

Sour grapes are just sour grapes.

Edited by deadeye
  • Like 1

Just asking, not really offering an opinion here.

Does anyone care about these guys being builders/developers and tied to that industry?

I think NewsJunky said something about that bringing jobs to the county.

I know a few old timers that harbor bad feelings towards builders/developers. Some used to live here. Made their money and moved away. My uncle believes that they scratched each others backs, got rich, and left us with the "mess" we have today.

If there was just one running, that would be okay I assume. But what do you guys and gals think of all the ones that are running - along with the ones that are already in office with ties to that industry?

I'd like to think they would serve fairly, but in reality, don't most people do what they can for themselves and their personal agenda before concerning themselves with anyone elses needs? (ex - some say Daniel will only push the RTL agenda). David had a residential development trying to go through before he became chairman. Comments were made already I think about Todd Pownall for Post 2 being a Developer. Then we have this issue with a builder running for District 19 seat. I don't really know all of these people but others are also tied to the industry right?

Was just curious if it really matters to any voters? I assume it matters more to the ones that have lived here a long time and feel like my uncle.

I'm really undecided.

Does anyone care about these guys being builders/developers and tied to that industry?

I know a few old timers that harbor bad feelings towards builders/developers. Some used to live here. Made their money and moved away. My uncle believes that they scratched each others backs, got rich, and left us with the "mess" we have today.

If there was just one running, that would be okay I assume. But what do you guys and gals think of all the ones that are running - along with the ones that are already in office with ties to that industry?

I'd like to think they would serve fairly, but in reality, don't most people do what they can for themselves and their personal agenda before concerning themselves with anyone elses needs? (ex - some say Daniel will only push the RTL agenda). David had a residential development trying to go through before he became chairman. Comments were made already I think about Todd Pownall for Post 2 being a Developer. Then we have this issue with a builder running for District 19 seat. I don't really know all of these people but others are also tied to the industry right?

Was just curious if it really matters to any voters? I assume it matters more to the ones that have lived here a long time and feel like my uncle.

I'm really undecided.

I think the issue at hand you are addressing is the fact the ROBBER BARON MEGA DEVELOPERS have had their way with Paulding for the past 10-15 years and they are who we need to "Thank" for our current situation, economically.

Yes, the home building industry is a business, and is really the only business that fuels Paulding. But if you look at the situation pragmatically, it is a win-win situation for the developers; a reasonable industry for the home builder, but, and this is the crux of the matter. it does not really fuel the economy. It recycles the local money, pays an enormous amount to the developer, and on hell of a lot to suppliers and contractors/laborers outside of Paulding and that money is never seen again.

Now, compare that to a local company the warehouses goods which come in from the intermodal yards in Powder Springs, and they sell these goods to all of the USA, and some exports. Along with any possible local manufacturing, these sorts of business employee local workers, pay ad valorum taxes on the goods, buy goods and services locally such as office supplies, shipping supplies, materials to build pallets and crates, etc. And they then sell these goods to other areas of the country and world so the money coming in to their business is from outside of Paulding but is going back into the Paulding economy.

We have an 85% residential tax base. Cobb has a 40-50% residential tax base. That sums it up.

Industry does not tax the school system, very little on public safety, less on parks and recs. But they pay a much larger pro-rata share of taxes than residents do. If we had a reasonable mix of industrial, commerical and residential taxes it would provide substantial tax relief for the homeowners.

I think the issue at hand you are addressing is the fact the ROBBER BARON MEGA DEVELOPERS have had their way with Paulding for the past 10-15 years and they are who we need to "Thank" for our current situation, economically.

Yes, the home building industry is a business, and is really the only business that fuels Paulding. But if you look at the situation pragmatically, it is a win-win situation for the developers; a reasonable industry for the home builder, but, and this is the crux of the matter. it does not really fuel the economy. It recycles the local money, pays an enormous amount to the developer, and on hell of a lot to suppliers and contractors/laborers outside of Paulding and that money is never seen again.

Now, compare that to a local company the warehouses goods which come in from the intermodal yards in Powder Springs, and they sell these goods to all of the USA, and some exports. Along with any possible local manufacturing, these sorts of business employee local workers, pay ad valorum taxes on the goods, buy goods and services locally such as office supplies, shipping supplies, materials to build pallets and crates, etc. And they then sell these goods to other areas of the country and world so the money coming in to their business is from outside of Paulding but is going back into the Paulding economy.

We have an 85% residential tax base. Cobb has a 40-50% residential tax base. That sums it up.

Industry does not tax the school system, very little on public safety, less on parks and recs. But they pay a much larger pro-rata share of taxes than residents do. If we had a reasonable mix of industrial, commerical and residential taxes it would provide substantial tax relief for the homeowners.

So does that mean that we would or would not want a bunch of builders/developers in office to influence our future? I would try to read between the lines that you would be more inclined to want a variety of elected officials, right? I need to figure out how to do some digging around - as I would not want to post bad info. But if you know - isn't Larry Ragsdale, Tommie Graham, and David Austin's other business/income tied to building?

And if we add more to that list, will it impact the decisions made like you referenced when it was all a bunch of developers in charge before?

So does that mean that we would or would not want a bunch of builders/developers in office to influence our future? I would try to read between the lines that you would be more inclined to want a variety of elected officials, right? I need to figure out how to do some digging around - as I would not want to post bad info. But if you know - isn't Larry Ragsdale, Tommie Graham, and David Austin's other business/income tied to building?

And if we add more to that list, will it impact the decisions made like you referenced when it was all a bunch of developers in charge before?

The following candidates for office are members of the Paulding County Builders Association:

Steve Golden, 19th district State Representative

Todd Pownall, Post 2, BOC

Tommie Graham, Post 3, BOC

David Barnett, Post 4, BOC

Edited by Madea

I'm really undecided.

I think what I said was that the people elected should care about the economy and jobs among other things. I can't see how being a builder or tied to that business would stop a candidate from caring about bringing those things to Paulding. It is the kind of building that is important. In the past I do not think it was done wisely. I believe the BOC has to approve the building done here. To demonize someone for the way they make an HONEST living is just not something I think we should be doing. I can't understand why some folks can't focus on the qualities and qualifications the person they choose to support bring to the office rather than trying to cast stones at the other guy and make him look bad because of his profession. I didn't like it when folks were doing it to Beverly any more than I like it being done to folks who had nothing to do with the decisions the past BOC made.

Tommie Graham is as close to being an industrial developer as I know of in the county. I believe the Paris brothers have also done some. Tommie did the industrial development seen at the end of Cadillac Boulevard. Drive down to the end of the road and take a look. There are full time 40 hours a week jobs at several industrial business there. He also has the Alpha-Omega Mini-Warehouses.

I do not believe he has any ties to the home building industry since he sold of Jariel Building Supplies many years ago and before that Railroad Lumber. I for one welcome anyone connected with industrial development which will bring long term high paying jobs to Paulding.

David Austin, best I recall, was involved with the ATM and copier business. Although from my experience with copier salesmen back in the 1990s when you had to have one if you had a reasonable size business, I would not brag to be one.

His only tie to "development" was to have the foresight, when things were going well for the home building industry years ago, to rezone property he/his wife's family owned to be able to develop it later should they choose to. Last I saw of the land it was still an overgrown farm from 50+ years ago that could now be called a tree farm. I do not believe David Austin ever "developed" any property, although Jerry Shearin tried to pin that on him in the elections 2 years ago.

On the other side of the coin, David and his daughter both are licensed realtors so I guess that does give him a relationship of sorts with the housing industry. I also have to point out, again to the best of my knowledge, when he ran against Shearin 2 years ago none of the big money developers supported him, although the majority of them did support Shearin. The campaign disclosure forms are public. Ask Whitey, he has copies.

Todd Pownall is a realtor. Period. I have never heard of him developing anything other than Relay for Life and his foster kids. We used to call him and Jeff Israel both, Mr. Relay. And for what it is worth, Todd, with Jeff's help was steering Relay for Life back 6-7 years ago when Paulding was the Number 1 county of its size in the nation to raise money for the American Cancer Society.

Correct me if I am mistaken but I don't know of anything Todd has ever been involved with as a real estate developer other than selling the land, or trying to sell the houses afterwards, and if you are familiar with the National companies we have building houses in Paulding now [like D R Horton] they use their own salaried agents.

While we are at it, I will mention David Barnett who is running for Post 4 owns the Lighting Works and Floor Works, which sells lighting fixtures and flooring materials for houses. I know David and I know he had the foresight when things started getting tough locally to look elsewhere for business and that he has been doing a large amount of his business in the Auburn/Opelika area, where they are still building. So yes, he has ties to the building industry, but not so much in Paulding.

I will hold back on any comments towards the other candidates for commission seats other than to suggest you try to check the campaign contributions to see who is bankrolling them. Unfortunately if you are going be doing early voting you won't find much until the week before the actual election date of July 20.

The ROBBER BARON MEGA DEVELOPERS and their puppets ran Paulding with an iron fist from the 1990s until 2 years ago. Ragsdale, Kirby, and Powell have shown themselves to still be "beholding" to those behind the scenes. There are some out there today who will try to get you to believe differently, but a currsory examination of the Carruth and Shearin years of control [1996-2008] are pretty much black and white as to who was in charge. From this we got houses, houses, and houses. Nothing in the way of industry, warehousing, or jobs. And now the residential tax payer is stuck with the bill.

If you can show me any different I am all ears and eyes ready to hear and see what you have.

The following candidates for office are members of the Paulding County Builders Association:

Steve Golden, 19th district State Representative

Todd Pownall, Post 2, BOC

Tommie Graham, Post 3, BOC

David Barnett, Post 4, BOC

Let me clarify. I don't know any of the gentlemen listed above. Their affiliation with the Paulding County Builders Association should not be a blacklist. I love the building industry. My father was a contractor in Cobb for many years. The majority of the people I know are connected to the building industry in some way, as are a good portion of Paulding families. They may, as all of us, simply want to see the people of the county back to work.

Edited by Madea

I am not going to post my personal email information here. Are you going to post any of your personal emails you might have exchanged with any of the candidates?

Just pick up the phone, call him or email him. He is quite accessible and will be happy to answer your questions.

If I had referred to an e-mail in a post, to substantiate a claim in regards to Mr. Golden I would not have a problem posting it, unless I had something to hide =@

I'm really undecided.

Well I am not undecided; I am more concerned about the candidates that are running for this office that was a part of the Administrations between 1996 and 2008 when the massive explosive growth hit this County. And yes others are tied to the Industry.

Beverly was the Administrative Assistant during this period of time.

I guess you forgot the plat that was mailed out the past election about David And his PRD? Well to refresh your memory, David did not have a residential development trying to go through before he got elected for Commission Chairman, I believe that the record will show that this PRD was already approved by the previous administration, And I heard that David Austin had the zoning done to increase the value of the property to keep the County from claiming Imminent Domain and Turing the property into a park for that area, It should be noted that the property is still not developed into a PRD. And the County obtained another piece of property in the area and is presently building a park.

Beverly was the administrative Assistant during this period of time also

Sorry, But my support goes to Todd Pownall I have had enough of the previous administration

Well I am not undecided; I am more concerned about the candidates that are running for this office that was a part of the Administrations between 1996 and 2008 when the massive explosive growth hit this County.

Sorry, But my support goes to Todd Pownall I have had enough of the previous administration

Beverly's past association with Jerry Shearin is reason enough for me to vote for her opponent. It looks like my support goes to Mr. Todd Pownall.

What she fails to tell you all is that I followed the rules regarding the order of cases to which I was to report, arrived on schedule to try her case (a temporary matter) and her problem is that she didn't like the judge's decision. The file is in order. I spoke to her new attorney yesterday and there's no problem other than her dissatisfaction with the judge's ruling.

If so many people are dissatisfied with me, why do many come to me after my having been highly recommended? Not everyone gets what he or she wants when he or she goes to court, but the vast majority of the more than 4,000 people I've represented are ore than happy with my services.

You know Mr. Donovan, you should be ashamed of yourself bringing one of your cases to this board. You did not handle things the way they should have been handled, you chose to let the judge make a decision on what YOU decided should be known.

I for one will never, ever vote for a person that is only in this for himself. You could care less about the people of Paulding. All you want to do is move your personal agenda forward.

You let a great person and her child down, and you said she didn't like what the judge said?? How about you do some prep for your next case???

Some DA you'd make when you fail to prepare for cases. :angry:

• Like 2

Well I am not undecided; I am more concerned about the candidates that are running for this office that was a part of the Administrations between 1996 and 2008 when the massive explosive growth hit this County. And yes others are tied to the Industry.

Beverly was the Administrative Assistant during this period of time.

I guess you forgot the plat that was mailed out the past election about David And his PRD? Well to refresh your memory, David did not have a residential development trying to go through before he got elected for Commission Chairman, I believe that the record will show that this PRD was already approved by the previous administration, And I heard that David Austin had the zoning done to increase the value of the property to keep the County from claiming Imminent Domain and Turing the property into a park for that area, It should be noted that the property is still not developed into a PRD. And the County obtained another piece of property in the area and is presently building a park.

If memory serves me right, the family also had it rezoned to not only protect it from " Imminent Domain" but as well as to have something they could leave undeveloped to pass on to their daughter.

How SO VERY unprofessional of you Mr. Donovan. Unprofessional.

How SO VERY unprofessional of you Mr. Donovan. Unprofessional.

:good:

He mentions some are satisfied with his services, I think what he means is he has been paid well. I know several people that he was supposed to "represent" that are way less than satisfied. I've have seen him in court on several occasions, once on a criminal case........let's just say his client got the maximum sentence. ;)

If memory serves me right, the family also had it rezoned to not only protect it from " Imminent Domain" but as well as to have something they could leave undeveloped to pass on to their daughter.

oops wrong post

Edited by DOT

Seeing a lot of Signs for one candidate. Plan to check to see who is bank rolling that campaign before I vote.

I was thinking the same thing, Better not early vote this one the scheeze is sure to hit the fan near the election day

Thanks to you guys that included information in regards to my last post.

Sorry I was out of town for the last couple of days and didn't get a chance to get back on.

As I had mentioned I wasn't really sharing my opinion these candidates, but only asking if those builder/developer professions would matter to anyone.

Some said that the old crew caused the problems. I think probably the builders and developers before the economic crash would "lobby" so to speak to get what they needed to make their money - and as building was exploding they were able to succeed with ease.

Now some complain that the building explosion is a main reason we have the issues we have - as that just promoted much retail growth but not necessarily a balanced growth in years past.

Again, I have had an opinon shared that if we researched counties that seem to have a good balance of all industries and housing we would see that the housing boom starts first. Without people living in the community the development of industry won't occur. Who really has the answers, right?

I would hate to see that any group representing one industry have majority vote and then have the same problems that were rampant 10 years ago - when decisions were made specifically helping the one industry but without trying to balance all industries coming to Paulding.

Thanks to you guys that included information in regards to my last post.

Sorry I was out of town for the last couple of days and didn't get a chance to get back on.

As I had mentioned I wasn't really sharing my opinion these candidates, but only asking if those builder/developer professions would matter to anyone.

Some said that the old crew caused the problems. I think probably the builders and developers before the economic crash would "lobby" so to speak to get what they needed to make their money - and as building was exploding they were able to succeed with ease.

Now some complain that the building explosion is a main reason we have the issues we have - as that just promoted much retail growth but not necessarily a balanced growth in years past.

Again, I have had an opinon shared that if we researched counties that seem to have a good balance of all industries and housing we would see that the housing boom starts first. Without people living in the community the development of industry won't occur. Who really has the answers, right?

I would hate to see that any group representing one industry have majority vote and then have the same problems that were rampant 10 years ago - when decisions were made specifically helping the one industry but without trying to balance all industries coming to Paulding.

The bolded is the exact reason that I am voting against Beverly Cochran, and speaking out against Jason, Collett, Lane,Paulette,and Golden

[/b]

The bolded is the exact reason that I am voting against Beverly Cochran, and speaking out against Jason, Collett, Lane,Paulette,and Golden

Well I truly hope you aren't holding that vote for Stout