52 replies to this topic

#41 momof 3

momof 3

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,626 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:21 PM

Publix has BOGO pasta, all kinds, and BOGO pasta sauce. If you only buy one, it's getting it half off.

Edited by momof 3, 18 August 2010 - 04:22 PM.

#42 Madea

Madea

Diary of a Mad Black Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,484 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:26 PM

http://www.kraftreci...nners/main.aspx

Forgot to add . . . if you add coupons and use www.SouthernSavers.com, this will really stretch your food budget.
And for the record, I am not/will not be in any way responsible for your child in any way, shape or form. You had this child, I did not. And if you get to judge me as a person then I get to judge you as a parent. ~Rockysmom (8/11/10)

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson.

Your judgments don't define me, they define you.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

"Justice cannot be for one side alone, but must be for both." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself."

#43 Mariposa

Mariposa

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:06 PM

Cheapest of the cheap...RAMEN

You can dress it up a little for better flavor and for a whole meal. It sort of like Hot and Sour soup.

My version:
-1 tsp Sesame Oil (adds lots of flavor and I've had 1 bottle for over 6 mos)
-add little lemon juice or vinegar to taste (go light and you can add more at the end, if needed)
-a couple of shakes of hot sauce
-put in a handful of shredded cabbage and carrot as the noodles are boiling
cole slaw mix from the salad section works great, you can even use the broccoli slaw
-Cut a chicken breast into very small, thin pieces and saute for just a minute or two while the soup is coming to a boil and add to the soup near the end
-add some sliced green onion at the end

If I don't have chicken or don't want to take the time, I scramble an egg and pour it in slowly over the simmering soup as I stir slowly. It's sort of like egg drop soup.
Chopped peanuts are also good in it

#44 Mariposa

Mariposa

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:12 PM

Southern Staples--Cheap and Quick

Pinto beans (from dry beans or canned--only Lucks brand)
corn bread (cheap to make or buy cheap at Ingle's--old Ingles in Dallas unless you want sweet)
sauteed cabbage or greens
slice of tomato
slice of onion

This was supper tonight except I threw in a couple of Lil' Smokies for beans n weenies

#45 Mariposa

Mariposa

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:19 PM

I also do the tomato soup and grilled cheese except I put a little salsa in the soup and make the grilled cheese a quesadilla (corn or flour tortilla in a med hot skillet, add cheese, put another tortilla on top and flip until brown) (add peppers,mushrooms, chicken, sausage, etc if you want)

#46 TheLeCroyGang

TheLeCroyGang

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:33 PM

I haven't read through all the postings, but I have done this several times when money is tight.
Night 1: pot of pinto beans..with corn bread, potatoes (whatever you have on hand, cooked however you want), mac and cheese.
Night 2: use left over pintos to make chili.
Night 3: hot dogs with chili and slaw.
Night 4: chili cheese burgers.

A note on the "dicky d's"..we always called this potatoe-weiner casserole. Fry potatoes with onion, when potatoes start getting tender, put hot dogs in it and cook until done. Goes great with mac and cheese and jiffy corn muffin mix. =) My kids have a fit if we don't have it often. It's a cheap, but quick meal.
Don't tell God about your storms, Tell the storms about Your God!

#47 Squiggle

Squiggle

Paulding Com member

• +PC CofCommerce
  • 594 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:37 PM

I forgot, when I first moved out on my own we made cream of chicken soup and poured it over rice. If you have leftover chicken you can add it in. A meal for 3 of us cost about $2.00.
My kids also liked pancakes for dinner sometimes. VERY cheap. I would cut up a banana or some other fruit to go on top.

french toast or eggs and toast are an inexpensive meal, too.
Squiggle

#48 Blondiega1

Blondiega1

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,902 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:55 PM

5 can stew: (turns out like a brunswick stew)

1 can whole kernal corn
1 can cream corn
1 can bbq beef
1 can bbq pork
1 can chicken
1/2 cup ketchup

dump everything in a pot, mix and heat.
My kids loved to eat it over cornchips and topped with shredded cheese.

Hamburger pie:

Ground beef browned
Cream o'mush
Can of sweet peas

Mix all. put in a casserole dish. top with shredded cheese and tater tots.
bake at 400 till bubbly and tots are brown. (about 30 mins)

I.I.T.Y.W.I.M.W.Y.B.M.A.D.

You shall find me waiting for you in the old cemetery, under the shade of the magnolia tree.............

Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.

#49 Mommy2Three

Mommy2Three

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:12 AM

I need really cheap recipes to make this week. I need to try to buy the weeks meals for around 20.00. So far I have a recipe dbf's mom used to cook which is just cut up hot dogs and potato slices cooked together with seasonings. Any more suggestions?!

I just remembered my mom used to do this! but it was with Smoked sausage instead of hotdogs, and we'd top it with sliced cheese. YUM!
Posted Image
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Rest in Peace Dillan Alexander Porter and Gina Marie Laird 1-23-2007
Rest in peace J.B. Blinkhorn 7-5-2008
Rest in peace Grandma Joan 2-14-2009

#50 Brad_W

Brad_W

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:31 AM

Here's a few hints and recipes to save you some money.

Don't buy chicken pieces, buy the whole chicken and cut it up yourself. The price difference between two chicken breasts and a whole chicken is minimal, and you get the whole rest of the chicken to go with it.

Bread is cheap and easy to make. http://www.nytimes.c...ng/081mrex.html is a no-knead bread recipe, just needs a few ingredients and time.

Fried Chicken Recipe (only if you have the spices sitting around)
2 tablespoons Cayenne Pepper
3 tablespoons Black Pepper
4 tablespoons Kosher Salt
2 teaspoons Onion Powder
2 teaspoons Garlic Powder
2 cups All-Purpose Flour
1 chicken cut into 8 pieces
1 quart Buttermilk

Mix all the spices together, then split into two bowls. Add flour to one bowl and sit aside. Rub the chicken with the spices (non flour mix) and then poke chicken with fork. Pour buttermilk into a stainless bowl, add spice mix and then chicken. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refridgerate for one hour.

Pour vegetable oil into skillet, enough to cover the chicken and heat. Dip chicken into the seasoned flour, then fry. Turn chicken as it browns and remove once done.

#51 shan06

shan06

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,526 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:57 AM

Baked Spaghetti (good for 2 or 3 nights...It's a LOT of food)
  • 2 cups canned diced tomatoes(I used generic...75 ea)
  • 2 cups tomato sauce (again, use generic...less than $1 for a large can)
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup diced onion
  • 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves(You can use dried if you already have it)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons seasoning salt
  • 2 Tablespoons sugar
  • 2 small bay leaves
  • 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
  • 8 ounces uncooked angel hair pasta(or spaghetti)
  • 1 cup grated cheddar
  • 1 cup grated Monterey Jack
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a stockpot, combine the tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, onions, peppers, garlic, parsley, seasoning mixtures, sugar, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil over high heat, and then reduce the heat and let simmer, covered, for 1 hour. Crumble the ground beef in a large skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until fully cooked, with no pink color remaining. Drain the fat from the meat, and then add the ground beef to the stockpot. Simmer for 20 more minutes. Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Cover the bottom of a 13 by 9 by 2-inch pan with sauce. Add a layer of pasta and then a little less than 1/2 of each cheese; repeat the layers, ending with the sauce. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Top the casserole with the remaining cheese, return it to the oven, and continue to cook until the cheese is melted and bubbly, about 5 more minutes. Cut into squares before serving.

Edited by shan06, 19 August 2010 - 10:57 AM.

I'm married to my best friend and have 4 children that are my world. Life couldn't be much more perfect!

#52 JSC

JSC

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:02 PM

I need really cheap recipes to make this week. I need to try to buy the weeks meals for around 20.00. So far I have a recipe dbf's mom used to cook which is just cut up hot dogs and potato slices cooked together with seasonings. Any more suggestions?!

Cheap, easy & delicious.

Hamburger potatoe casserole
1 lb hamburger meat
1-2 lrg oinions
abt 6 med potaoes
1 can cream chicken soup
1/4th can water (the soup can)
S&P

preheat oven to 375
crumble raw hamburger meat in bottom of greased 2 qrt cassreole dish.
slice ions & layer over meat.
slice potatoes & layer over onions
pour soup (I usually use 2 cans) over layers.
add the water, S&P.
bake 1 to 1 & 1/2 hours or til potatoes are tender

Edited by JSC, 19 August 2010 - 05:48 PM.

#53 Monkeytail

Monkeytail

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:20 PM

5 can stew: (turns out like a brunswick stew)

1 can whole kernal corn
1 can cream corn
1 can bbq beef
1 can bbq pork
1 can chicken
1/2 cup ketchup

dump everything in a pot, mix and heat.
My kids loved to eat it over cornchips and topped with shredded cheese.

Hamburger pie:

Ground beef browned
Cream o'mush
Can of sweet peas

Mix all. put in a casserole dish. top with shredded cheese and tater tots.
bake at 400 till bubbly and tots are brown. (about 30 mins)

Dude I was just saying yesterday that I wanted some 5 can brunswick stew. Haven't had it in a while.

Little change up to hamburger pie.... use a can of drained corn instead of sweet peas. Layer the meat/mushroom soup/corn mixture with shredded cheddar cheese, then top with the tots. YUM!

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant." - The Doctor

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity." - Einstein

"A great fire burns within me, but no one stops to warm themselves at it, and passers-by only see a wisp of smoke - Vincent Van Gogh
"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics