Paulding.com

A good question and were will the money come from to build the infra structure to attract them.

Everyone pays taxes, I find people object to them most strenuously when they don't like what they are being spent on, or when there are lies about how they are spent.

Growing a county is like growing a business you have to invest were it will help you grow and give you the best returns.

The growth of this county was not an entirely bad thing, it was a lack of balance in that growth and of course the economy.

We were not the only ones to get hurt by this, many believed the real estate bubble would not burst and were going full steam ahead right up until the end.

We are stretched so thin now covering services, I don't see where we have enough left to grow infrastructure unless we can get federal funds for this rather than raising taxes.

That would depend on what kind of strings are attached to the Federal money.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So does this mean you will keep your whining to yourself about your lawsuit? Sure hope so.

First off I am not endorsing anyone in this commissioners race, Secondly if posting what I know about any candidate in any of the races make me a "mean, grumpy old man" Then so be it, I can accept tha

No one has said anything about your right to fight back, they are just tired of reading about it 2 or 3 times a day here. This is not the place to air your legal rights and I would bet if it ever goes

I've looked at all three web sites and they all seem to be for lower taxes. My question to the candidates would be in regards to commercial/industrial development. Currently, the economy here in Paulding is heavily affected by retail sales and residential construction. The market downturn has affected tax revenues and now the BOC & BOE are both in a huge budget crunch. There is very little diversification as far as industrial, manufacturing, etc.

What will each candidate do to attract new types of businesses to diversify our tax base, and to bring good paying jobs to Paulding County?

I had an hour of one on one with Todd about that very question. I will withhold my comments for now but I will say we agreed on the new approach and how past decisions can't sustain this county and its current tax burdens on homeowners. The economy may hinder short term progress but at least the vision is in the right direction.

The primary question we should be asking the candidates is what they won't do, not what they will do. The entire globe is over-leveraged and it will be a very slow path back to 5% unemployment. Beware of politicians who promise to do things they have absolutely no control over.

She was clerical support to the Chairman Commissioner. Whether she agreed will the board or not she couldn't speak freely about what she was for or against.

She was their ASSISTANT not someone to RAT them out.... Your comments are being very unfair to her and her responsilities in her job title. Shame on you!!!!

So it is okay with you for an employee of the county being paid with our tax dollars to remain silent on issues that affect all tax paying citizens.

It would be most helpful if she came onto P.Com and explianed her silence on this matter

So it is okay with you for an employee of the county being paid with our tax dollars to remain silent on issues that affect all tax paying citizens.

It would be most helpful if she came onto P.Com and explianed her silence on this matter

What was the core issue at hand? I wasn't here back then. An mill-rate increase for an existing bond debt?

I had an hour of one on one with Todd about that very question. I will withhold my comments for now but I will say we agreed on the new approach and how past decisions can't sustain this county and its current tax burdens on homeowners. The economy may hinder short term progress but at least the vision is in the right direction.

I agree that our current commissioners seem very focused on development in this area, I am on board with this.

I personally am looking at those running that will be on board with this also.

I am very interested in the specifics of where they intend to invest in growth, if it provides good jobs that pay a living wage then I am fine with our county investing in the infra structure.

If it is going to provide 100's of more min. wage jobs I am going to have a problem with it.

Or creates more maintenance burdens such as a park.

People will come for good jobs and they will be able to afford the existing housing we have.

I agree that our current commissioners seem very focused on development in this area, I am on board with this.

I personally am looking at those running that will be on board with this also.

I am very interested in the specifics of where they intend to invest in growth, if it provides good jobs that pay a living wage then I am fine with our county investing in the infra structure.

If it is going to provide 100's of more min. wage jobs I am going to have a problem with it.

Or creates more maintenance burdens such as a park.

People will come for good jobs and they will be able to afford the existing housing we have.

Government doesn't control what types of jobs are created. Unless you want government jobs.

Government doesn't control what types of jobs are created. Unless you want government jobs.

As far as I know they do control the size of roads and where they are upgraded, they also control the size and type of infrastructure built.

Large businesses and industries look at these things when considering where to locate.

We already did the 1/2 the county working for the gov years ago that didn't work out well neither did the growth explosion in retail.

All the counties that have good infrastructure will be seriously considered, we will be overlooked yet again, and off my children go to fight traffic to work in Atlanta, and buy homes there when they are tired of wasting 4 hours of their day on a hwy.

If I were any of the candidates, I wouldn't come into this shark tank! lol.

Perhaps you can call her and get your information and questions answered. Then, like Blazing Saddles, you may want to provide a brief summary.

I've looked at all three web sites and they all seem to be for lower taxes. My question to the candidates would be in regards to commercial/industrial development. Currently, the economy here in Paulding is heavily affected by retail sales and residential construction. The market downturn has affected tax revenues and now the BOC & BOE are both in a huge budget crunch. There is very little diversification as far as industrial, manufacturing, etc.

What will each candidate do to attract new types of businesses to diversify our tax base, and to bring good paying jobs to Paulding County?

Very good questions and thought provoking ideas for us to consider - from you and LPPT.

There will be several opportunities to see the candidates in an open forum and during public appearances.

I again invite you all to come to the Paulding GOP meeting on Saturday, May 15th at 9am (come early for snacks if you'd like). All commission candidates have been invited to speak that day.

June 19th there will be a meet & greet at White Oak Park. The Republican Party hosted one of these a few years ago. I wasn't aware of that one, but I heard it was fun and informal way to spend time getting to know the candidates.

More details to follow for that one.

Why don't you contact her instead of waiting for her to come to Pcom? How about the Repub meet and greet coming in June? You can ask her personally. 8)

Very good questions and thought provoking ideas for us to consider - from you and LPPT.

There will be several opportunities to see the candidates in an open forum and during public appearances.

I again invite you all to come to the Paulding GOP meeting on Saturday, May 15th at 9am (come early for snacks if you'd like). All commission candidates have been invited to speak that day.

June 19th there will be a meet & greet at White Oak Park. The Republican Party hosted one of these a few years ago. I wasn't aware of that one, but I heard it was fun and informal way to spend time getting to know the candidates.

More details to follow for that one.

The last one was very successful and look forward to this year's. I compiled a list of contacts for every candidate to Joe so it should be a good one this year.

If I were any of the candidates, I wouldn't come into this shark tank! lol.

Perhaps you can call her and get your information and questions answered. Then, like Blazing Saddles, you may want to provide a brief summary.

I agree, I don't see where an employee should be held responsible for anything an elected official did.

Now if we write laws where hired employees that work for gov. are required to report the goings on to citizens then that is another matter.

It looks to me as those that are angry at the previous admin. are looking for a scapegoat.

And honestly gives the points you are making less credibility.

You basically are looking for someone to undue what the previous admin did, I don't think that is possible.

This election is about our future here in this county.

I really wish candidates could come on here and state their positions.

More times than not they are attacked for the sole purpose of pushing them to edge making them paint themselves in a corner.

This is great venue for people to really get to know a candidate.

unfortunately a handful ruin it for the majority.

County employees are NOT employed by the county to be moles to the public, they are employed to perform duties that pertain to their job discription, make a living and support their families.

It was not Beverly's responsibilty to report what goes on behind the scenes in the County Commission whether good OR bad. It's your elected officals that are held accountable, NOT the administrative staff. She performed a clerical duty to the Board of Commissioners for Bill Carruth and Jerry Shearin. Don't talk about her like she was a part of any kind of corpution. I don't remember you ever dogging her out or blaming her on here during all of your other rants and raves....

Plus I don't know what you are griping about now. You play dirty anyways. I feel sorry for whoever your endorsing in the commission race, because all your going to do is hinder there campaign...You talk out of both sides of your mouth. Your just a mean, grumpy old man.....

Its all on the video of the BOC meeting where Todd Pownall directly asked Jerry Shearin about the email from Pat Crook discussing having Richardson office attempt to get an exemption form the state revenue department so the BOC would not have to hold special meetings to discuss the proposed bond payment increase. Shearin and company sat there and denied knowing anything about it. And Beverly was sitting right there with the BOC not saying a thing to the contrary.

If you want to put Jerry back on the BOC then elect Beverly.

You more ignorant that what I thought....She would be ruled "Out of Order if she spoke. What do you expect her to do, jump up and say I know, I know, I know, I can answer that....You obviously don't know the rules of ANY board meeting. It's called the Rules of Decorum, look it up. :blink:

Sounds to me like she should have been thinking "Do I want this job or do I want a future in politics?"

I want to elect people that are painfully honest. That means honesty being at the top of the list even if it hurts me or you.

And by the way, that not going public crap only works when you have been sworn to secrecy because of the nature of your job, such as CIA agents. Being a county manager and not exposing an action that has the smell of corruption does not qualify.

Beverly Cochran was NOT the county manager, she was the Exectuive Administrative Assistant to the Board of Commissioner. Pat Crook was the County Manager.

Beverly Cochran was NOT the county manager, she was the Exectuive Administrative Assistant to the Board of Commissioner. Pat Crook was the County Manager.

Can't see that it makes any difference actually.

It will be interesting to see if she can beat the Shearin kiss of death AND defeat someone that played a large role in defeating Shearin. Yep, that will be interesting to see.

The primary question we should be asking the candidates is what they won't do, not what they will do. The entire globe is over-leveraged and it will be a very slow path back to 5% unemployment. Beware of politicians who promise to do things they have absolutely no control over.

Amen!! That is how we got "Hope and Change". We have had change all right . Change for the worse!dry.gif

I disagree whole heartedly.

If the BOC had spent half the time and effort the past 10-15 years courting industrial buisness park developers as they did dancing with the ROBBER BARON MEGA DEVELOPERS and their High Density Housing we would have local jobs in private industry.

Instead of partnering with the big industrial developers with joint ventures where the county is an actual partner in the development, helping with the roads, sewer, utilities and grading instead of throwing up road blocks we would see developers here building office and industrial parks to bring in businesses with high paying jobs.

County employees are NOT employed by the county to be moles to the public, they are employed to perform duties that pertain to their job discription, make a living and support their families.

It was not Beverly's responsibilty to report what goes on behind the scenes in the County Commission whether good OR bad. It's your elected officals that are held accountable, NOT the administrative staff. She performed a clerical duty to the Board of Commissioners for Bill Carruth and Jerry Shearin. Don't talk about her like she was a part of any kind of corpution. I don't remember you ever dogging her out or blaming her on here during all of your other rants and raves....

Plus I don't know what you are griping about now. You play dirty anyways. I feel sorry for whoever your endorsing in the commission race, because all your going to do is hinder there campaign...You talk out of both sides of your mouth. Your just a mean, grumpy old man.....

First off I am not endorsing anyone in this commissioners race, Secondly if posting what I know about any candidate in any of the races make me a "mean, grumpy old man" Then so be it, I can accept that criticism and move on.

Regardless of what I say, Beverly can not hide from the fact that she was part and parcel of the Jerry Shearin Adminstration, If the citizens of Paulding County want ro elect someone that was part of the good ole boy's network, They certaintly have that right, I also have the right to voice my opposition to her being elected.

It would be a total waste of my time to meet Beverly, Since I have knowledge of what her positions are and what she stands for.

Having been a County employee for many years, And particularly a part of a adminstration that raised taxes every year except the last year of her employment with the county, That is really all that I need to know.

As previously stated Beverly Cochran seems to be a very nice person, But......That does not qualify her to be a Commissioner,Now does it?

Furthermore the present Paulding County Commissioners chose not to continue her employment with the County, As well as other high level personnell , I wonder why?? :angry: :angry: :angry: Just for you :angry:

Can't see that it makes any difference actually.

It will be interesting to see if she can beat the Shearin kiss of death AND defeat someone that played a large role in defeating Shearin. Yep, that will be interesting to see.

What does that mean?

You should not pass judgement on Beverly without knowing the great person she is. She was in the BOC for almost 13 years. Which means she was there before "king Jerry" as some of you like to call him. I do not have knowledge of the incident you all are referring to, but I really don't need to . Beverly is a strong Christian woman with integrity. She sincerely cares about the people and this county. If you do not know her, you are missing out. Do not associate her with someone you don't like just because she had a job. If we crucified everyone who worked for a crooked politican, no one would hold an office. Go to her website or facebook page and get to know who she is and then pass your judgement.

Look:

If it walks like a duck, smells like a duck, and talks like a duck; Odds are pretty damn good its a duck.

If you want to elect Jerry Shearin's protege of 8 years to the BOC then by all means that is your choice and you can do so when voting.

But to expect Beverly Cochran to be all her own person as a politician after sitting in on all the executive sessions concerning property deals, litigation, bonds, building the TajMahal, etc., and to not have picked up some of King Jerry's fleas in the process is in my humble opinion far-fetched and absurd.

For those who have dealt with the BOC, and Beverly in the process, then you understand she was part of the Good 'Ol Boy system just as much as was King Jerry and his merry band of puppeteers.

Whitey and surepip, if you can bad mouth someone that easily just for working a job that she most likely needed then I won't put much faith in any candidate you do support. I thought we might have supported the same one for post 3. Now I will have to rethink my original choice.

• Like 1

What does that mean?

One of the other candidates for the Post 2 Commissioner is Todd Pownall. And Todd is who "Outed" King Jerry at a BOC meeting a month or so before the primary vote for trying to sneak in a back door bond tax increase to pay for the TajMahal complex and greenspace.

An email surfaced which was sent to all the commissioners by Pat Crook the county manager describing how an old Roy Barnes law meant to prevent back door tax increases was going to require the BOC to advertise the millage increase for the bonds to pay for the new courthouse and admin buildings plus the greenspace purchased.

She then goes on to describe how she has requested Glenn Richardson and Lani Skipper the county attorney to get involved with the Department of Labor and get them to allow the BOC to raise the rates WITHOUT having to advertise the increase. And she goes on to tell them how "They won't be able to go out in public" if they have to advertise the increase.

This is the email Todd refers to in the video:

Which Shearin then denies knowing anything about. Cute...

And in the election which was a week or 2 after the meeting, King Jerry lost his throne by like 71% to 29%.

Like I said before.....If you want King Jerry's influence back on the BOC, then elect Beverly.

Whitey and surepip, if you can bad mouth someone that easily just for working a job that she most likely needed then I won't put much faith in any candidate you do support. I thought we might have supported the same one for post 3. Now I will have to rethink my original choice.

Right! If I'm Todd Pownall I'd tell Whitey and Surepip to shut the heck up. I don't have a horse in the race but this is disgusting what they're doing to this lady. From the folks I've talked to she is a stand-up Christian mother and grand-mother. If they have allegations of specific illegalities then please name them but this guilt by association routine is a typical leftist technique and Todd Pownall should denounce it and denounce them.

That is your choice as well. Tommie Graham has done an outstanding job the past 2 years and was the first commissioner to actually question, out loud, in public what was going on and vote to put things on hold until he could become more aware of what was involved. He was a thorn in Shearin's rear more than once while King Jerry finished out his lame duck term the end of 2008.

I had substantial dealings with the BOC and Beverly Cochran continually from 2002 until we entered our suits in June 2006. I wish I could say some nice things but I can't. I wish I could say we were treated fairly, but I can't. I wish the BOC had chosen to do us right, and follow the law, but they didn't. So we sued them and the BOC has spent over $1million of your tax payer dollars to fight us and protect and cover up wrong doings.

It was the Good 'Ol Boys and their ROBBER BARON MEGA DEVELOPER puppeteers putting on a show.

And Beverly was very much an integral part of the regime, not just an uninterested county employee. As was Pat Crook.

If you want them on your BOC, that is your right. I will do all I can to not let it happen.....again.

Right! If I'm Todd Pownall I'd tell Whitey and Surepip to shut the heck up. I don't have a horse in the race but this is disgusting what they're doing to this lady. From the folks I've talked to she is a stand-up Christian mother and grand-mother. If they have allegations of specific illegalities then please name them but this guilt by association routine is a typical leftist technique and Todd Pownall should denounce it and denounce them.

There is also Adam Gregory in that race as well. Comments on him ?

I have a bad taste over my experiences with King Jerry and his entire administration so Yes, I am very much biased and down right myoptic when it comes to discussing them.

So I will just bow out of this one for now.

That is your choice as well. Tommie Graham has done an outstanding job the past 2 years and was the first commissioner to actually question, out loud, in public what was going on and vote to put things on hold until he could become more aware of what was involved. He was a thorn in Shearin's rear more than once while King Jerry finished out his lame duck term the end of 2008.

I had substantial dealings with the BOC and Beverly Cochran continually from 2002 until we entered our suits in June 2006. I wish I could say some nice things but I can't. I wish I could say we were treated fairly, but I can't. I wish the BOC had chosen to do us right, and follow the law, but they didn't. So we sued them and the BOC has spent over $1million of your tax payer dollars to fight us and protect and cover up wrong doings.

It was the Good 'Ol Boys and their ROBBER BARON MEGA DEVELOPER puppeteers putting on a show.

And Beverly was very much an integral part of the regime, not just an uninterested county employee. As was Pat Crook.

If you want them on your BOC, that is your right. I will do all I can to not let it happen.....again.

Yeah I know! It has cost us $1 million or so you have told us. Actually I know both men in that race. I am not sure either of them wants to ride into that seat because mud was thrown on their opponent. I think your support is of a variety that can hurt more than help. I don't know anything about Todd except what I saw of him in the last election. Yes he did help Austin win. That is what he set out to do wasn't it? I do know he has a good reputation in the business field. I think Beverly is also a good candidate in spite of the fact that you are trying to make her out to be something that she isn't. I think she would be every bit as good in that job as Mr. Pownall. I will be looking closer at the election in my Post now too. I thought I had my choice made.

Look:

If it walks like a duck, smells like a duck, and talks like a duck; Odds are pretty damn good its a duck.

If you want to elect Jerry Shearin's protege of 8 years to the BOC then by all means that is your choice and you can do so when voting.

But to expect Beverly Cochran to be all her own person as a politician after sitting in on all the executive sessions concerning property deals, litigation, bonds, building the TajMahal, etc., and to not have picked up some of King Jerry's fleas in the process is in my humble opinion far-fetched and absurd.

For those who have dealt with the BOC, and Beverly in the process, then you understand she was part of the Good 'Ol Boy system just as much as was King Jerry and his merry band of puppeteers.

:wacko: Hmmmm....

GOP rules.... Whitey, Surepip, and Feelip did this before with a major bs smear campaign with Jerry and wouldn't surprise me if they do it again with Beverly. For them, it is personal(has nothing to do with what she can do for Post 2 in a positive way, let alone know her well enough) and to attack her is correctly absurd.

Neither of them will give anyone a chance if they came from the previous board as you say, guilt by association is what they are playing on.

GOP rules.... Whitey, Surepip, and Feelip did this before with a major bs smear campaign with Jerry and wouldn't surprise me if they do it again with Beverly. For them, it is personal(has nothing to do with what she can do for Post 2 in a positive way, let alone know her well enough) and to attack her is correctly absurd.

Neither of them will give anyone a chance if they came from the previous board as you say, guilt by association is what they are playing on.

Well?

Guest amazed

There is also Adam Gregory in that race as well. Comments on him ?

I have a bad taste over my experiences with King Jerry and his entire administration so Yes, I am very much biased and down right myoptic when it comes to discussing them.

So I will just bow out of this one for now.

So does this mean you will keep your whining to yourself about your lawsuit? Sure hope so.

• Like 3

Yeah, why should anyone whine about $400,000 pissed away by us, and another $1,000,000+ by the county in lawsuits trying to protect your land and home. And the BOC lawyer even commented in his arguments at the last hearing how any homeowner should be able and willing to spend $500,000 to litigate their elected representatives.

Tax payer waste of money, and a much bigger tax payer waste of money when we win.

Yeah, why should anyone whine about $400,000 pissed away by us, and another $1,000,000+ by the county in lawsuits trying to protect your land and home. And the BOC lawyer even commented in his arguments at the last hearing how any homeowner should be able and willing to spend $500,000 to litigate their elected representatives.

Tax payer waste of money, and a much bigger tax payer waste of money IF we win.

There, I corrected your statement to reflect reality!

Oh, I thought you said you were bowing out of this?

Look Ithy, Jerry smeared himself. As soon as he lost his adviser and financier he was going in circles in the bottom of the toilet. When he got caught lying about the email, the undecided voters in the county finally saw that what mean ol' Whitey, Suepip and Feelip had been screaming was the gospel.

Back anyone you like little guy, but lay off my ass when it comes to pointing out that someone was part of a former regime. Those people damn near destroyed the county. It will take good, honest leaders many years to straighten out the mess they left. I WILL NEVER VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT WAS A PART OF THAT REGIME. I don't care if they were the damn janitor! Now you starting to see the picture?

Look Ithy, Jerry smeared himself. As soon as he lost his adviser and financier he was going in circles in the bottom of the toilet. When he got caught lying about the email, the undecided voters in the county finally saw that what mean ol' Whitey, Suepip and Feelip had been screaming was the gospel.

Back anyone you like little guy, but lay off my ass when it comes to pointing out that someone was part of a former regime. Those people damn near destroyed the county. It will take good, honest leaders many years to straighten out the mess they left. I WILL NEVER VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT WAS A PART OF THAT REGIME. I don't care if they were the damn janitor! Now you starting to see the picture?

OKAY NOW INNOCENT READERS/POSTERS PAY ATTENTION.

The negative words posted in this lengthy topic are because 1 man would not vote for the facilities guy or janitor that worked while Jerry Shearin was in office. Take notice of this, and don't let that nasty attitude keep you from reaching out to the candidates and making your own decision.

As others posted too, just because you work there doesn't mean you agree with everything that happens there.

I didn't agree with everything my old company did. Do any of you agree with all the decisions made at your place of work by the people in charge?

Take notice that this bad attitude rears it's ugly head to remind us all of the lawsuit about once every 4-6 months or so.

Not that re-posting it changes anything. I've always been told to try to let things go and move on. It helps with healing and peace of mind and health.

I certainly hate it when people I know keep bringing up stuff over and over and over again. Take these posts with a grain of salt.

Edited by MEvans