Paulding.com

By not going public she showed she has a sense of what her responsibilities were and knew what her role was. Who would want to hire someone who did not. Sounds to me like she was damned if she did and damned is she didn't! Wow! What a position to be pushed into.

Sounds to me like she should have been thinking "Do I want this job or do I want a future in politics?"

I want to elect people that are painfully honest. That means honesty being at the top of the list even if it hurts me or you.

And by the way, that not going public crap only works when you have been sworn to secrecy because of the nature of your job, such as CIA agents. Being a county manager and not exposing an action that has the smell of corruption does not qualify.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So does this mean you will keep your whining to yourself about your lawsuit? Sure hope so.

First off I am not endorsing anyone in this commissioners race, Secondly if posting what I know about any candidate in any of the races make me a "mean, grumpy old man" Then so be it, I can accept tha

No one has said anything about your right to fight back, they are just tired of reading about it 2 or 3 times a day here. This is not the place to air your legal rights and I would bet if it ever goes

Sounds to me like she should have been thinking "Do I want this job or do I want a future in politics?"

I want to elect people that are painfully honest. That means honesty being at the top of the list even if it hurts me or you.

And by the way, that not going public crap only works when you have been sworn to secrecy because of the nature of your job, such as CIA agents. Being a county manager and not exposing an action that has the smell of corruption does not qualify.

I doubt she was thinking about running for office and I am sure most folks would have been concerned about whether the next employer would want to hire someone who did not know when to answer questions and when not too. It seems to me the Chairman spoke for himself and that was all the voters needed. Why should she have butted in, and answered something she was not asked to answer, and apparently did not need to answer. The end result was what YOU wanted wasn't it?

I doubt she was thinking about running for office and I am sure most folks would have been concerned about whether the next employer would want to hire someone who did not know when to answer questions and when not too. It seems to me the Chairman spoke for himself and that was all the voters needed. Why should she have butted in, and answered something she was not asked to answer, and apparently did not need to answer. The end result was what YOU wanted wasn't it?

No, the end result was the 2008 bond millage increase needed to start paying for the TajMahal Courthouse and Administrative Complex was swept under the carpet and scrapped.

Instead, King Jerry used surplus funds to service the bonds for 2008.

So, when David Austin picked up the reins 6 months later, there was no surplus. As an end result, the bond rate still had to be increased in 2009, and the county had to make drastic cuts to the overall budget and as a result is also not in a financial position now to be able to try to help out the BOE shortfalls.

Trying to hide all of this June/July of 2008 was wrong, by all who were in on it.

I personnally want county employees who are willing to tell their boss when they think he is doing something unethical, wrong, and/or illegal. By quietly sitting there they are endorsing what is taking place, and this one was wrong. And it backfired on King Jerry as well when he showed what an ass he could be telling Todd Pownall he had been made a fool of.

Oh I see. You are trying to make this look like she only knew about it when Todd Pownall brought it up at the BOC meeting? Clever but most of us are way smarter than that.

I'm thinking I would have been in Shearin's office a day or two before saying "I am not going to be a part of this. Either come clean or count me out."

We all make (and pay for) mistakes.

I like the fact that Todd persisted until he got answers. Not saying anyone else has or hasn't but Todd has proven his character and that is a big leg up for me.

And I think that persistance was influential in the outcome of the elections in which Shearin was served up with his walking papers.

Oh I see. You are trying to make this look like she only knew about it when Todd Pownall brought it up at the BOC meeting? Clever but most of us are way smarter than that.

I'm thinking I would have been in Shearin's office a day or two before saying "I am not going to be a part of this. Either come clean or count me out."

We all make (and pay for) mistakes.

No, I think that we need to look at what the candidates bring to the table just as BS is looking at what Todd has done and where he thinks he will lead Paulding. I don't think we should fault a candidate for something someone else did. I don't think it was her place to speak for the BOC. Jerry was quite capable of doing that and he did. I do think Mr. Pownall played a part in that election and he was not sitting in her chair.

No, I think that we need to look at what the candidates bring to the table just as BS is looking at what Todd has done and where he thinks he will lead Paulding. I don't think we should fault a candidate for something someone else did. I don't think it was her place to speak for the BOC. Jerry was quite capable of doing that and he did. I do think Mr. Pownall played a part in that election and he was not sitting in her chair.

Are you saying she knew nothing of the scheme to keep taxpayers in the dark until after the elections?

You got any proof of that?

Are you saying she knew nothing of the scheme to keep taxpayers in the dark until after the elections?

I don't have a clue what she did or did not know but she did her job and she did not betray that trust. She was not asked the question and maybe Todd should have asked her. Her answer would have been important in this race. Since he did not ask her it has NO PLACE in this race! JMO

I am really not into mud slinging. I think it just gets everyone dirty. If there are relevant facts then I want to hear them. If some one wants to win by tarnishing another candidate, just because they can, then I don't want to go there with them.

feelip/Surepip/etc.

I don't think it is relevant or not whether Beverly Cochran had knowledge of the approach that Jerry Shearin was using to avoid a tax increase during the election year. Whether or not she knew, she was not even a credible source on the maneuverings.

There are many who would not have judged her actions as anything but a noble expression of loyalty every boss hopes to have from their employees.

Certainly, she did not have a reputation as a 'deep throat' with the press. However, backgrounding folks on what was really happening was simply not her job. Rather, she did what the commission wanted, which was prepare and distribute the information they wanted prepared and distributed. She was a technician and they were the policy makers.

I would think, however, that as the clerk of the 'commission,' she would have been forthcoming with the sitting post commissioners, assuming they had the requisite curiosity to ask relevant and probing questions.

I would think one of the retiring post commissioners might provide insight on whether her loyalty was primarily to the chairman or whether it was well balanced with information provided broadly to the post commissioners.

Hence, her relationship with the balance of the commission as a trusted source of information is one legitimate question as is her perception of her position as a prospective post commissioner who would presumably have the authority to say what needs to be said up to and including blowing the whistle.

Of course those questions resonate for all the candidates.

pubby

I don't have a clue what she did or did not know but she did her job and she did not betray that trust. She was not asked the question and maybe Todd should have asked her. Her answer would have been important in this race. Since he did not ask her it has NO PLACE in this race! JMO

I am really not into mud slinging. I think it just gets everyone dirty. If there are relevant facts then I want to hear them. If some one wants to win by tarnishing another candidate, just because they can, then I don't want to go there with them.

The only tarnish that sticks is of the self-inflicted variety. Can't blame anyone else for that.

Todd Pownell has shown his ability to make the roaches scurry and Paulding County has been needing someone with this ability for many years now.

JMO too.

Do you have proof of what she knew and that she turned a blind eye? NO.

feelip/Surepip/etc.

I don't think it is relevant or not whether Beverly Cochran had knowledge of the approach that Jerry Shearin was using to avoid a tax increase during the election year. Whether or not she knew, she was not even a credible source on the maneuverings.

There are many who would not have judged her actions as anything but a noble expression of loyalty every boss hopes to have from their employees.

Certainly, she did not have a reputation as a 'deep throat' with the press. However, backgrounding folks on what was really happening was simply not her job. Rather, she did what the commission wanted, which was prepare and distribute the information they wanted prepared and distributed. She was a technician and they were the policy makers.

I would think, however, that as the clerk of the 'commission,' she would have been forthcoming with the sitting post commissioners, assuming they had the requisite curiosity to ask relevant and probing questions.

I would think one of the retiring post commissioners might provide insight on whether her loyalty was primarily to the chairman or whether it was well balanced with information provided broadly to the post commissioners.

Hence, her relationship with the balance of the commission as a trusted source of information is one legitimate question as is her perception of her position as a prospective post commissioner who would presumably have the authority to say what needs to be said up to and including blowing the whistle.

Of course those questions resonate for all the candidates.

pubby

Where is that video Pubby. My favorite part is where Crook comes clean and you can be heard laughing from behind the camera. Can you post a link?

The only tarnish that sticks is of the self-inflicted variety. Can't blame anyone else for that.

Todd Pownell has shown his ability to make the roaches scurry and Paulding County has been needing someone with this ability for many years now.

JMO too.

I have always liked the fact that you stand up for your beliefs. I will always respect your right to have your own opinion.smile.gif I like them both and I admire Todd for taking on

City Hall and proving his case. I also think in her own way even though it cost her Beverly did not betray the trust that the BOC expected from an employee.

They don't have to necessarily make comments on MY case.

The issue I asked to be addressed is whether they would go along with spending over $1Million Dollars of tax payer money to try to prevent a citizen from obtaining their day in court ? And refusing to even consider sitting down with them and attempting to negotiate a settlement.

Our case has reached the stage now that we really no longer care to negotiate with them. We want a jury to decide instead.

So wouldn't that now make you just as guilty of wasting taxpayer dollars as the BOC? (Sorry, couldn't resist). :rofl:

Unfortunately, none of us know what the attorneys' strategy or legal theories are in this case or in others that might occur. Why are they willing to spend so much money? I could guess that maybe they truly believe they are right or maybe they are trying to protect the county from a precedent setting lawsuit - who knows. I could make tons of guesses as to why they are doing what they are doing, but only the parties who are privvy to the legal defenses of the case know the real answer and I guess we'll just have to wait and see how your lawsuit turns out to find out. :pardon:

Based on the fact that Todd Pownall stood up for the voters and stood up to King Jerry, it sounds like Todd is a better candidate than Beverly Cochran.....

As for the other guy running Gregory something, does anyone have info on his campaign?

(Adam Gregory)

I know him and I like him. He has been active in a number of County issues. He does the Paulding County Rodeo and has a beautiful family.

So wouldn't that now make you just as guilty of wasting taxpayer dollars as the BOC? (Sorry, couldn't resist). :rofl:

Unfortunately, none of us know what the attorneys' strategy or legal theories are in this case or in others that might occur. Why are they willing to spend so much money? I could guess that maybe they truly believe they are right or maybe they are trying to protect the county from a precedent setting lawsuit - who knows. I could make tons of guesses as to why they are doing what they are doing, but only the parties who are privvy to the legal defenses of the case know the real answer and I guess we'll just have to wait and see how your lawsuit turns out to find out. :pardon:

Well, since we offered to sit down and discuss a settlement, a year ago March, we have had to spend another $100,000 and another year of waiting and expended time. So at this stage we would prefer to see what a jury will award us based on all the evidence and how hard the BOC has worked to prevent us from having our day in court.

Basically we are dealing with a case where the defendant was found standing over the deceased with a smoking gun in one hand and a knife dripping blood in the other, with 2 witnesses and the murder caught on the security camera.

The defense attorneys are not arguing any of the merits of the case though.

They question the legality of the video tape since the defendent was not aware of the camera, and they try to dismiss any accounts from the witnesses since they have not had an eye exam in the past 12 months. They then try to show the gun was owned by the deceased and that he shot himself after he stabbed himself 5 times.

There is no concern on their side as to what was right or wrong, they are simply expending time and money seeking loopholes to get out of ending up in the courtroom with us and doing everything they can to bleed us to try to stop us from getting to the courtroom.

And a good sized portion of the money paid to Holland & Knight law firm by the county ends up back in the campaign coffers of various georgia and paulding politicians.

I have no problem commenting on it in a public forum, SUREPIP SHOULD HAVE HIS DAY IN COURT AND HAVE HIS PEER'S MAKE THE DECISION ON THE VALADITY OF HIS LAW SUIT ASAP And quit wasting taxpayers dollars by delaying his day in court

No need for shouting, I agree with you on this 100%. He should get his day in court! But this is not the place to discuss legal actions.

You should not pass judgement on Beverly without knowing the great person she is. She was in the BOC for almost 13 years. Which means she was there before "king Jerry" as some of you like to call him. I do not have knowledge of the incident you all are referring to, but I really don't need to . Beverly is a strong Christian woman with integrity. She sincerely cares about the people and this county. If you do not know her, you are missing out. Do not associate her with someone you don't like just because she had a job. If we crucified everyone who worked for a crooked politican, no one would hold an office. Go to her website or facebook page and get to know who she is and then pass your judgement.

• Like 1

No need for shouting, I agree with you on this 100%. He should get his day in court! But this is not the place to discuss legal actions.

And just what is wrong with asking BOC candidates if they would lean the same way the current BOC has ? TO spend over $1Million Dollars to prevent a citizen from have their day in court? Is that not a reasonable question of our new candidates?

This is tax payer dollars that could be going to prop up the BOE....How many teachers could they keep on staff if the County kicked over a Million ?

Not to mention the fact the county is defending the developer with tax payer dollars. Is that right ?

The county administrator was Pat Crook. Beverly's role other than admin assistant to the commissioners was County Clerk - that is to take MINUTES at the meetings. Beverly was not the county manager.

Several posts on here suggests things about the candidate that are not proven or backed up with facts. All voters should beware of those with skewed views that are posted and search out the candidates to get their answers. I know Beverly uses facebook, and her number is available for those that want to ask her directly about any questions they may have. I assume other candidates may do this as well.

I believe this topic was for ALL BOC candidates - was that a cover to slam Beverly, because no one is discussing the topic any longer? And many of the negative posters claim they are not in the Post 2 district. I'm curious as to the motivations of these posts, as they tend to be so negative towards 1 candidate.

I'm sure it's not beneath some candidates to already start throwing jabs. I think a clean, honest campaign is really what the posters and readers here prefer - and the residents of Paulding County deserve.

Back on topic - These candidates are available to answer the questions - and probably won't respond about a pending lawsuit or a "hypothetical" one that is just like a real one that exists today. All Post Commissioner Candidates for each Post will be speaking at the Republican Party meeting 1 week from Saturday (May 15th I believe). The meeting is open to the public. Whitey, Feelip, Surepip, All others - feel free to come here from them and meet them there.

Edited by MEvans
  • Like 2

JMO too.

Throwing "power" around to those who are in positions under you isn't a real attractive feature either. It takes more to be a leader than just making people/roaches scurry.

I recommend everyone look into each candidate, what they've done in their previous lives (not just at one BOC meeting challenging the Chairman) - for ALL Candidates. See what those that worked with them in previous roles thought of them.

I've heard various opinions from normal folks for all of these candidates - and have some of my own personal experiences with each of them. I'll use that to help make a decision, as well as the opportunities afforded me by groups that have these candidates speak or debate between now and the election.

And just what is wrong with asking BOC candidates if they would lean the same way the current BOC has ? TO spend over $1Million Dollars to prevent a citizen from have their day in court? Is that not a reasonable question of our new candidates?

This is tax payer dollars that could be going to prop up the BOE....How many teachers could they keep on staff if the County kicked over a Million ?

Not to mention the fact the county is defending the developer with tax payer dollars. Is that right ?

You know as well as I do that was an open ended question and there are no right answers. No two legal cases are the same and there is no way to answer that question and you know it. And having workeed for a neighboring County, I doubt seriously the County is defending anyone other then the County! All you are trying to do is bait someone to answer you so you can use it again later if needed!

The county administrator was Pat Crook. Beverly's role other than admin assistant to the commissioners was County Clerk - that is to take MINUTES at the meetings. Beerly was not the county manager.

Several posts on here suggests things about the candidate that are not proven or backed up with facts. All voters should beware of those with skewed views that are posted and search out the candidates to get their answers. I know Beverly uses facebook, and her number is available for those that want to ask her directly about any questions they may have. I assume other candidates may do this as well.

I believe this topic was for ALL BOC candidates - was that a cover to slam Beverly, because no one is discussing the topic any longer? And many of the negative posters claim they are not in the Post 2 district. Curious if anyone has been paid to be so negative towards 1 candidate?

I'm sure it's not beneath some candidates to already start throwing jabs. I think a clean, honest campaign is really what the posters and readers here prefer - and the residents of Paulding County deserve. People shouldn't throw out their religion one minute, and do dirty, underhanded tricks to win a position the next.

Back on topic - These candidates are available to answer the questions - and probably won't respond about a pending lawsuit or a "hypothetical" one that is just like a real one that exists today. All Post Commissioner Candidates for each Post will be speaking at the Republican Party meeting 1 week from Saturday (May 15th I believe). The meeting is open to the public. Whitey, Feelip, Surepip, All others - feel free to come here from them and meet them there.

Good post! But you are still new here, right? This happens every election by a select few who have an agenda. They are not hard to pick out!

You have the right attitude and it sounds like you do know whats really going on!

Thank you! good.gif

I have had an opportunity to speak to Beverly and get to know her a little. I believe she is a capable caring person who loves Paulding County. I also believe she would do a good job if elected. It is not fair to try to turn a job she apparently did very well into anything other than just that.

I think we have some excellent candidates running for this post.

I have had an opportunity to speak to Beverly and get to know her a little. I believe she is a capable caring person who loves Paulding County. I also believe she would do a good job if elected. It is not fair to try to turn a job she apparently did very well into anything other than just that.

The folks in Post 2 should be proud that have such a good pool of candidates to choose from instead of throwing crap.

The folks in Post 2 should be proud that have such a good pool of candidates to choose from instead of throwing crap.

We should be thankful that they have had the courage to stand for office. You are right!

Good post! But you are still new here, right? This happens every election by a select few who have an agenda. They are not hard to pick out!

You have the right attitude and it sounds like you do know whats really going on!

Thanks! I have been on and off of here since the great flood.

You are right, it appears the "bad apples" are a select few. And yes, I can sense an agenda or greater calling for the purpose of their posts.

I only hope the innocent readership that really don't engage in posting here will take this to heart. They should not let the few comments that can get a little nasty on here discourage finding the truth for themselves.

As mentioned, I know a little about all of these candidates. If you don't investigate for yourself, you may not find out who the best candidate is.

I've seen and heard from other residents that don't really have an agenda. I respect those opinions.

I don't want a chauvinistic "good 'ol boy" candidate. I don't want a candidate who is already so busy they can't find time for citizens. I don't want a conceited candidate. I don't want a candidate who plans to run a negative campaign - or who plants seeds out there in the community to do it for them.

Best of luck to all voters. Call the candidates. Go meet them. You can make a responsible choice if you do that.

I saw where Mr. Pownall Has a website at toddPownall.com

I saw where Mrs. Cochran has a facebook page and she encourgaes folks to look her up.

What is the deal with Mr. Gregory? Does he have a web site where folks can look at his resume and get a feel of what he's like.

I certainly want the best candidate to win, but voters need to be informed.

This is so true, and it is refreshing! After having to make choices between candidates who don't seem at all qualified (on every level of politics) I'm pleased to be able to find a candidate that I can support 100%, among others who also seem committed to do an excellent job!

I have a problem with her not speaking up about the proposed delayed tax increase,that was exposed by Todd Pownall,At a BOC meeting. This certaintly fell into her responsibilty and knowledge as an Adminstrative Assistant to the BOC, Sure she was a County employee and her salary was paid for by our tax dollars She worked for all the citizens of Paulding County, Not for Jerry Shearin and the other County Commissioners who desired to keep this from the general public.

Maybe Beverly will come onto P.Com and explain her involvement??? I am not trashing Beverly for working for the County under the Jerry Shearin regime, I AM SIMPLY POINTING OUT HER INVOLVEMENT IN THE DECEPTION OF THE TAX SCHEME :angry:

She was clerical support to the Chairman Commissioner. Whether she agreed will the board or not she couldn't speak freely about what she was for or against.

She was their ASSISTANT not someone to RAT them out.... Your comments are being very unfair to her and her responsilities in her job title. Shame on you!!!!

I saw where Mr. Pownall Has a website at toddPownall.com

I saw where Mrs. Cochran has a facebook page and she encourgaes folks to look her up.

What is the deal with Mr. Gregory? Does he have a web site where folks can look at his resume and get a feel of what he's like.

I certainly want the best candidate to win, but voters need to be informed.

http://www.beverlycochran.com/Post2Commissioner/Home.html

http://www.gregory2010.com/

I've looked at all three web sites and they all seem to be for lower taxes. My question to the candidates would be in regards to commercial/industrial development. Currently, the economy here in Paulding is heavily affected by retail sales and residential construction. The market downturn has affected tax revenues and now the BOC & BOE are both in a huge budget crunch. There is very little diversification as far as industrial, manufacturing, etc.

What will each candidate do to attract new types of businesses to diversify our tax base, and to bring good paying jobs to Paulding County?

She was clerical support to the Chairman Commissioner. Whether she agreed with the board or not she couldn't speak freely about what she was for or against.

She was their ASSISTANT not someone to RAT them out.... Your comments are being very unfair to her and her responsilities in her job title. Shame on you!!!!

clapping.gif clapping.gif clapping.gif clapping.gif clapping.gif clapping.gif

I've looked at all three web sites and they all seem to be for lower taxes. My question to the candidates would be in regards to commercial/industrial development. Currently, the economy here in Paulding is heavily affected by retail sales and residential construction. The market downturn has affected tax revenues and now the BOC & BOE are both in a huge budget crunch. There is very little diversification as far as industrial, manufacturing, etc.

What will each candidate do to attract new types of businesses to diversify our tax base, and to bring good paying jobs to Paulding County?

A good question and were will the money come from to build the infra structure to attract them.

Everyone pays taxes, I find people object to them most strenuously when they don't like what they are being spent on, or when there are lies about how they are spent.

Growing a county is like growing a business you have to invest were it will help you grow and give you the best returns.

The growth of this county was not an entirely bad thing, it was a lack of balance in that growth and of course the economy.

We were not the only ones to get hurt by this, many believed the real estate bubble would not burst and were going full steam ahead right up until the end.

We are stretched so thin now covering services, I don't see where we have enough left to grow infrastructure unless we can get federal funds for this rather than raising taxes.