2 replies to this topic

#1 stjohn99

stjohn99

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 01:48 PM

I am in need of a new antivirus program for our home computers. Ours is just not working.

I want something with all the components (antivirus, spyware, malware, firewall, anti phishing, e-mail security, etc, etc)

What are your recommendations and why?

If you suggest a "free" one, can you tell me why it might be better than one that you pay for?

Thanks for any help you can give. There is a lot of confusing/conflicting information out there, It is difficult to figure out which one is the best.

#2 A Former Geek

A Former Geek

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,476 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 03:31 PM

I really like the ESET products for a paid solution. They have both a Anti-Virus program and a Smart Security suite which adds anti spam and a firewall. A comparison of the 2 products can be found here: http://www.eset.com/...e-eset-products

The best firewall is a router (hardware) which is normally used to share a internet connection between multiple computers, but it also acts as a inbound firewall. Because it is hardware, the firewall protection cannot be turned off 2nd party software firewalls provide both inbound and outbound protection. The outbound protection is of little value since its only purpose is to provide protection if a bad guy is already on your computer. If the bad guy is on the computer, the first thing it does is turn off the software firewall. 2nd party software firewalls can cause internet access problems as well as file sharing and printer sharing problems.

I think the best free AV product available is Microsoft Security Essentials which can be found here: http://www.microsoft...rity_essentials My only problem with it is that it will not always performed scheduled scans and scheduled updates which means you have to manually tell it to update and scan. I use this on my computer and AVG Free on my wife and kid's computers.

#3 stjohn99

stjohn99

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 03:53 PM

Thanks! I really appreciate it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics