14 replies to this topic

#1 Orwell

Orwell

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:31 AM

There is a rumor that the band is scheduled to go to the Sugar Bowl next year. I thought this was the trip year. What's going on?

#2 naturegirl

naturegirl

Super Icon

• retired
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,190 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:42 AM

There is a rumor that the band is scheduled to go to the Sugar Bowl next year. I thought this was the trip year. What's going on?

You know what they say about rumors, LOL. I think money may be a huge issue for any and every band trip. :D
In history there are people who have had their clothes, food, housing and jobs provided to them.

Those people were called "slaves".

Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.

---Frank Lloyd Wright

#3 lumak

lumak

Super Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:48 AM

maybe a phone call to the school and/or band director could answer your question.

#4 Orwell

Orwell

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:51 AM

I was told by three people it was approved at the last board meeting. What about the cost?

#5 naturegirl

naturegirl

Super Icon

• retired
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,190 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:04 AM

I was told by three people it was approved at the last board meeting. What about the cost?

I think they can't even consider it until they get board approval. Once the approval is in place, there are lots and lots and lots and lots of fundraisers. I won't cost the school or school system anything. The band parents will pay for those that go. :)
In history there are people who have had their clothes, food, housing and jobs provided to them.

---Frank Lloyd Wright

#6 Lady Raider

Lady Raider

Super Icon

• +MPS extra
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77,669 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:20 AM

I hope they have great time if they get to go
"The most dangerous place in the world to be is "Between a Mother and her Child"

Posted Image

In Loving Memory of My Daddy and Mama
3-29-08
and 10-24-2012

*say what you mean, and mean what you say*

#7 JYD

JYD

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:48 AM

What band ? Which school ?

#8 Orwell

Orwell

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:50 AM

What band ? Which school ?

EPHS

#9 Go BLUE!

Go BLUE!

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,233 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:21 PM

That would be a cool experience. My wife's band got to go to London one year and the Rose Bowl one year. What made that trip cool was Michigan was in the game as well.

Posted Image
"If heaven ain't a lot like Detroit, I don't wanna go....if they ain't got no 8 Mile like they do up in the D, then send me to hell or Salt Lake City it would be about the same to me." - Uncle Kracker

#10 edu

edu

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:24 AM

With the job market the way it is; the bad economy;etc, isn't it expensive to be in band ?
Isn't there a large band fee and then you pay a lot for the trip. If parents have trouble with the fees, what about the trip?

#11 naturegirl

naturegirl

Super Icon

• retired
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,190 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:51 AM

With the job market the way it is; the bad economy;etc, isn't it expensive to be in band ?
Isn't there a large band fee and then you pay a lot for the trip. If parents have trouble with the fees, what about the trip?

Band fees are pretty high, but some how, some way with lots of fundraisers and hard work bands make it happen. The experiences,discipline and camaraderie that comes with participating in a marching band are wonderful learning opportunities.

The groups are an amazing team. I rank band directors up there with some of the best. Who the heck wants to take over 100 hormonal teenagers all around the state and country??

I'm glad my child had the opportunity to participate with such an amazing group of people that became like family. :)

---Frank Lloyd Wright

#12 Orwell

Orwell

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:07 AM

Band fees are pretty high, but some how, some way with lots of fundraisers and hard work bands make it happen. The experiences,discipline and camaraderie that comes with participating in a marching band are wonderful learning opportunities.

The groups are an amazing team. I rank band directors up there with some of the best. Who the heck wants to take over 100 hormonal teenagers all around the state and country??

I'm glad my child had the opportunity to participate with such an amazing group of people that became like family. :)

Were your kids in a band? Which? Did you always manage to pay the band fees? (That may be too personal?)

#13 Lucky64

Lucky64

Super Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,745 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:31 AM

My daughter made the Color Guard for next school year at EPHS...for 9th grade. Fee's $350.00. I guess I need to walk to the backyard and see if the money tree grew more.

#14 naturegirl

naturegirl

Super Icon

• retired
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,190 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:32 AM

Were your kids in a band? Which? Did you always manage to pay the band fees? (That may be too personal?)

Only my youngest, I also served as an officer of the band boosters. We had many, many fundraisers to help pay band fees. Those $1.00 candy bars they sold at school were the best fundraiser. We also sold fruit, profit margins were great on that. Cokes, not so much on the profit margin.....but we did sell a lot. There were many others.

If we were planning a big trip, we broke the fees up in more manageable portions.

If the boosters are a non-profit organization, tax deductible donations can be accepted. My son had many "sponsors" over the course of 4 years that included friends, aunts, uncles, grandparents and local businesses. :)

He was at PCHS, graduated in 2005.

---Frank Lloyd Wright

#15 Orwell

Orwell

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:52 AM

Only my youngest, I also served as an officer of the band boosters. We had many, many fundraisers to help pay band fees. Those $1.00 candy bars they sold at school were the best fundraiser. We also sold fruit, profit margins were great on that. Cokes, not so much on the profit margin.....but we did sell a lot. There were many others.

If we were planning a big trip, we broke the fees up in more manageable portions.

If the boosters are a non-profit organization, tax deductible donations can be accepted. My son had many "sponsors" over the course of 4 years that included friends, aunts, uncles, grandparents and local businesses. :)

He was at PCHS, graduated in 2005.

You sound like you worked hard. The PCHS Band was good then and had a good director.

My daughter made the Color Guard for next school year at EPHS...for 9th grade. Fee's $350.00. I guess I need to walk to the backyard and see if the money tree grew more.

I heard that is cheaper then last year when it was $450. That is the cheapest around here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics