Recent Topics Recent Topics

Photo

Anyone lknow of college funding for those with aspergers?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bh67

bh67

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,694 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:36 PM

I know of a very bright young man accepted to a great college but can't attend as Hope and Pell will not cover enough and the roughly 10k they need to get started is not affordable for them. If you know of any resources I will pass them along, he has been accepted to start in the Fall.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Bruce

Please excuse the typo, got a little rushed

Edited by BH87, 30 March 2010 - 12:35 PM.

We only have one life, so live it to the fullest!

#2 Elwood

Elwood

Paulding Com member

• +MPS extra
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:36 PM

He'll be eligible for federal loans

Posted Image

Of course the government keeps its promises! Don't worry about a thing...

If you need a list to protect your children you're not a very good parent.

Life is not sterile.
Just because bad things happen to good people doesn't mean they didn't deserve it.

Even the best fall down sometimes.

Stay away from broken people.

#3 bh67

bh67

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,694 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:43 PM

He'll be eligible for federal loans

I think the issue is more that there are places that cost less where he can go with little to no $ out of pocket. This was his dream college and he has worked so hard to make it come true.

#4 Elwood

Elwood

Paulding Com member

• +MPS extra
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:55 PM

I think the issue is more that there are places that cost less where he can go with little to no $ out of pocket. This was his dream college and he has worked so hard to make it come true.

If he gets loans, there is no money out of pocket...

Posted Image

Of course the government keeps its promises! Don't worry about a thing...

If you need a list to protect your children you're not a very good parent.

Life is not sterile.
Just because bad things happen to good people doesn't mean they didn't deserve it.

Even the best fall down sometimes.

Stay away from broken people.

#5 cobbobig

cobbobig

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 02:09 PM

I know of a very bright young man accepted to a great college but can't attend as Hope and Pell will not cover enough and the roughly 10k they need to get started is not affordable for them. If you know of any resources I will pass them along, he has been accepted to start in the Fall.
Bruce

Go to gacolleg411.org and create an account (not hard) then do a scholarship search.

You can PM me a little detail on the young man and I'll search for you. What college? Major? GPA? Any special relationships in the family like son of a firefighter, military personnel, etc.?

Edited by cobbobig, 30 March 2010 - 02:11 PM.

“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.” Ronald Reagan

#6 overit

overit

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 02:23 PM

Bruce

Did he an IEP, or considered ESEP in highschool? If so, that has alot of options for help with college.

#7 GGinGA

GGinGA

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 02:30 PM

Did he an IEP, or considered ESEP in highschool? If so, that has alot of options for help with college.

Can you please give more detail about this? My son has Aspergers and he wants to go into culinary arts when he graduates (2 years from now). Thanks!
"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."
-John Wayne

If stress burned calories, I'd be a supermodel.

The Water Giver: "Motherhood is about raising and celebrating the child you have, not the child you thought you'd have. It's about understanding he's exactly the person he's supposed to be. And if you're lucky, he might be the teacher who turns you into the person you're supposed to be."

#8 fishnthec

fishnthec

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,234 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 06:34 PM

There are options for people with special needs but the ones that I know of will only help with state colleges.

#9 bellaprincess

bellaprincess

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 06:37 PM

There are options for people with special needs but the ones that I know of will only help with state colleges.

Could you post those? That would be a good option for many!

Posted Image

#10 bh67

bh67

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,694 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 07:13 PM

It is a state college, I did not want to name it as I did not want folks sending then hate mail or bashing. The school has already offered so much for this young man. He was going to attend a 5 week summer program I work with, kind of like a boot camp for college but the Mom let me know today they did not get some aid they thought they would get. I am sure there are loans and things but I am not in a position to get into their personal business but did suggest some things. I have just been sending any links I find as I know she and her son are heart broken. I am a sucker for kids and just wanted to try, please pray for this family as I know it will be hard on him since this was his dream and he worked so hard for it. It really stinks that so often it comes down to money.

#11 fishnthec

fishnthec

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,234 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 07:28 PM

His school should have referred him to Vocational Rehab. They can help find funds for him.

#12 overit

overit

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:05 PM

His school should have referred him to Vocational Rehab. They can help find funds for him.

Glad you posted this, I had forgotten the name.

#13 jdabbs65

jdabbs65

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 05:03 PM

I have more info if this isnt enough: I cant fit it all on here. Sent: .ExternalClass .ecxhmmessage P{padding:0px;}.ExternalClass body.ecxhmmessage{font-size:10pt;font-family:Verdana;}IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR INDIVIDUALS WHO CARE FOR SOMEONE WITH SPECIAL NEEDS:

Follow up notes from transition meeting hosted by Paulding County School District

THIS APPLIES TO INDIVIDUALS OF ALL AGES

• Cave Spring center Workforce Development: This facility offers a comprehensive program to train and prepare individuals with disabilities to become gainfully employed and permanently self supporting, they offer Independent living skills, Residential services and a lot more. For Detail info Contact Michelle Pierce at GA Dept of Labor Rehab services: 706-777-2341 or Denise Puckett 706-777-2341.
  • Parent to Parent: Statewide organization that provides support and info services to parents of children with disabilities or special health needs. 1-800-229-2038 or 770-451-5484 website www.parenttoparentofga.org. Info on Medicaid and waivers, IEP’s financial assistance and a lot more.
  • Further education with programs for individuals with disabilities that have a regular ED Diploma: Kennesaw State university 770-423-6500. or www.kennesaw.edu. Chattahoochee Tech College 770-443-3600 or www.chattahoocheetech.edu.
  • The Frazer Center: Individuals over 18 with disabilities to help in areas of education, work training, recreation, and to provide family resources& life skills: 404-377-3836 or www.thefrazercenter.org.
  • Briggs & Associates: Employment services for special individuals. 770-993-4559 or www.briggsassociates.org.
  • Roosevelt Warm Springs: Another Vocational rehab that provides employment preparation services to a wide range of disabilities, develop interpersonal skills, independent living skills & more. 706-655-5057 or www.rooseveltrehab.org .
  • Youth Challenge Academy: Between 16 & 18 high school drop out along with other requirements: www.ngycp.org or 912-876-1724 to be directed.
  • Developmental Disabilities Ministries: www.DDMga.org 1-888-340-5820.
  • Paulding County Parks and REC: NEW Special Population Programs: 770-505-3885 or www.paulding.gov and choose 2010 program guide.
  • CFII: The center for financial Independence & innovation: FREE Financial Education Workshops for individuals with Disabilities. www.thecfii.org or 404-541-9005.
  • Special Needs Planning: FREE Strategic Planning & also some free attorney advice: Danny Umali 678-471-2902 or umali.d@pennmutual.com
  • Tools for life Georgia’s Assistive Technology Act Program www.gatfl.org or404-638-0390 Increases access to assistive technology devices and services for all age disabilities.
  • Tech Able Empowering & Enriching Lives through Assistive Technology: www.techable.org or770-922-6768.
  • Vocational Rehabilitation: Georgia Dept of Labor1-866-489-0001 or go to www.dol.state.ga.us and click on Rehabilitation services.

There is a lot of info and if you need more info on anything that is unclear please e-mail me. I hope that I have provided you with the numbers or websites needed. The attachments to this e-mail contain very important documentation. So please be sure to read them. Also it is very important that to avoid a gap in services that you contact Region One Intake and Evaluation before the age of 18 or 22!!! Up to 2 years prior!!! This is extremely important!!!! 770-387-5440.

I hope you all have a great day and thank you for waiting so patiently.

Jenine Dabbs
jdabbs65@hotmail.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics