155 replies to this topic

#41 patriot

patriot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:46 PM

I just saw this story on Fox 5. This is muck raking at it's best. I know nothing about the relationship between the mayor and former Captain Shirley, but it sounds like sour grapes to me.

Hubby has been looking at Springfield 45's for ages and ages and he refuses to come off the hip for one, they are expensive. He said that if the city got 3 of these guns for less than $3,000.00, that nobody got ripped off. The last one he saw on Gunbroker that he wanted was $1200.00.

Granted, there should have been bidding, but Fox couldn't prove that there hadn't been. There just wasn't any paperwork to prove that they had...which there should been.

Also, when they said that they found other items bought at the pawn shop cheaper on the internet. Example an item on the internet was $82.00 plus shipping and handling and at the pawn shop it was $102.00. Thats not 'cheaper' to me.

It just seemed to me that somebody is angry and is trying to get back at the person he thinks is responsible for his firing...oh excuse me....his resignation.

Maybe your husband should have submitted a bid!!!!! I don't know about you but in this economy and tight times $20.00 difference in price, is significant, you are talking 25% difference in price. That money came from taxpayers, other business owners and went into her pocket. I don't know about you but if I found a twenty dollar bill on the ground I would certainly pick it up. It was Chief of Police Shirley. Fox 5 attempted to contact Pep, the Mayor who refused to be seen in person, and found several others on ambushes.

#42 gardengirl66

gardengirl66

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:47 PM

I personally do not believe the mayor should be selling anything to any department that comes from her store. that is like someone being in office in Dallas or anywhere else and has a close relative/spouse that works in Planning and zoning and giving them inside info on property to buy because there is a big land purchase coming up by a big chain inquiring about a location. It is just wrong.

#43 tbird

tbird

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,600 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:59 PM

I personally do not believe the mayor should be selling anything to any department that comes from her store. that is like someone being in office in Dallas or anywhere else and has a close relative/spouse that works in Planning and zoning and giving them inside info on property to buy because there is a big land purchase coming up by a big chain inquiring about a location. It is just wrong.

It is a HUGE conflict of interest. Any body that holds an office should not do any type of office businees with any family member.

Heck--we have to turn folks down all the time at work because of conflicts.

#44 Glenn's Mowers (SUBBY)

Glenn's Mowers (SUBBY)

An old fart just doing his part to make this a better place to l

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,184 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:23 PM

PLEASE tell, we know they do not like competition, everybody else better have a permit or they "the owners" send the law after ya

That's one thing I love about this county. I know several mower guys around here, and to all of us, there is NO competition. We hand each other work according to who is best at what they do. Who wins??? The people in this county do. Maybe it's a Sling Blade mentality, but frankly, none of us mower folks do this to get rich.....we do it to pay bills, and to make the best deals possible for yall. Fact is, WE enjoy doing this.

It's ironic in a certain way...but none of our bottom lines are about taking people for granted......even if it means "sharing our business" to others....especially when it means that people's waiting times could be shortened. I do co-op with 3 mower folks out here....and we all have the same attitude...to make YOU happy, and try to get you fixed up as quickly as possible. ;)
Business Phone: 678-315-8794 Email: glennsmowerrepair@gmail.com Website: http://glennsmowerrepairs.webs.com/

#45 cherokeewoman

cherokeewoman

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,589 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:37 PM

No matter the cost of the guns and equipment, she should have had enough sense, can you say conflict of interest? It was wrong to buy county equipment from her hubby's pawn shop, I don't care what the cost was..... can you say good ole boy?

#46 Greatma

Greatma

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 05:19 AM

This probably should be another topic, but while we are on the conflict of interest. Should a councilman for a city that
has a landscaping business do all the work for the city. Not Hiram. Just asking.

#47 momof 3

momof 3

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,626 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 06:14 AM

Maybe your husband should have submitted a bid!!!!! I don't know about you but in this economy and tight times $20.00 difference in price, is significant, you are talking 25% difference in price. That money came from taxpayers, other business owners and went into her pocket. I don't know about you but if I found a twenty dollar bill on the ground I would certainly pick it up. It was Chief of Police Shirley. Fox 5 attempted to contact Pep, the Mayor who refused to be seen in person, and found several others on ambushes.

So, you think things are shipped free if you buy them off of the internet? The price of whatever item they were talking about was $82.00, the cost of shipping was $17.00, that equals $99.00. How is $99.00 25% less than $102.00?

#48 gardengirl66

gardengirl66

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 06:20 AM

This probably should be another topic, but while we are on the conflict of interest. Should a councilman for a city that
has a landscaping business do all the work for the city. Not Hiram. Just asking.

No he should not and if that is going on too, then he should be reported. I believe in keeping money and business in the county you live in and co-oping business. but A city official that owns a business should not be able to do business at their OWN business. I say the whistle should be blown for all that thinks this is o.k. besides we have an interest in this . IT'S OUR MONEY THEY ARE USING.

#49 gardengirl66

gardengirl66

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 06:24 AM

So, you think things are shipped free if you buy them off of the internet? The price of whatever item they were talking about was $82.00, the cost of shipping was $17.00, that equals $99.00. How is $99.00 25% less than $102.00?

I have to ask.ARE YOU KIN FOLK. ONLY KIN WOULD DEFEND PEOPLE DOING THINGS LIKE THIS.they are spending our money that we struggle every year to pay. Our kids do not even have school books.

#50 Georgia Dawg

Georgia Dawg

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,243 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:19 AM

Not according to the report. All of the stuff they price checked they found cheaper ... both brick and mortar and online.

Of course, those were 'current' quotes and not prices that they would have been at the time of those purchases. Again, faulty, one-sided reporting from Fox5.

Posted Image

The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure.

It is a sign that the U.S. Government can't pay its own bills.

It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies…

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better.

Senator Barack Obama

#51 UnionMom

UnionMom

Super Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,245 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:24 AM

It is a huge conflict of interest, regardless of how small the difference is on each item. And with the guns ... FOX said that every single local shop they talked to could have done the same price or better.

The Mayor, by signing the purchase orders and allowing items to be bought from her husband's business, created a huge conflict of interest. Period.

I'm not going to get into any discussion of possible pressures from anywhere to make the purchases there ... that is speculation at this point.

#52 Georgia Dawg

Georgia Dawg

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,243 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:44 AM

It is a huge conflict of interest, regardless of how small the difference is on each item. And with the guns ... FOX said that every single local shop they talked to could have done the same price or better.

The Mayor, by signing the purchase orders and allowing items to be bought from her husband's business, created a huge conflict of interest. Period.

I'm not going to get into any discussion of possible pressures from anywhere to make the purchases there ... that is speculation at this point.

I wonder what "local shop" they talked to that sells Glocks? I'd like to compare prices myself. I didn't know there were any other 'local' as in 'Hiram' gun shops.
Of course, if I was a different local gun shop owner in Hiram and was being asked by a news crew what price I would charge for a gun, of course I would say that I would sell it for the same or less than my competition.

As far as being a conflict or interest, maybe, but definitely noting even close to the stuff that King Jerry has pulled off during his tenure. It pales in comparison.

Edited by Georgia Dawg, 24 March 2010 - 07:46 AM.

Posted Image

The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure.

It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies…

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better.

Senator Barack Obama

#53 momof 3

momof 3

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,626 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:46 AM

I have to ask.ARE YOU KIN FOLK. ONLY KIN WOULD DEFEND PEOPLE DOING THINGS LIKE THIS.they are spending our money that we struggle every year to pay. Our kids do not even have school books.

Nope no kin here. I didn't defend them, if you'll read the post as written, I said the prices they were charging weren't overinflated, I also said that bids should have been taken and there should have been paperwork to back it up. It seems that all involved here are pretty slimy, but the report on Fox 5 wasn't as truthful as they want you to believe they were. You don't even know if they were comparing apples to apples, just because the reporter on TV said so, that makes it true? $3.00 less for an internet purchase isn't going to make a difference one way or the other especially if the quality of the one from the internet is less than the one bought face to face... like thats never happened.

As I said, it sounds like sour grapes to me because if the captain hadn't lost his job, I'll bet none of this would have ever come out.

#54 Adam&Jessica

Adam&Jessica

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:46 AM

I wonder what "local shop" they talked to that sells Glocks? I'd like to compare prices myself. I didn't know there were any other 'local' as in 'Hiram' gun shops.
Of course, if I was a different local gun shop owner in Hiram and was being asked by a news crew what price I would charge for a gun, of course I would say that I would sell it for the same or less than my competition.

Patriot sells glocks. Does C3 armory? I don't think south side does...

#55 momof 3

momof 3

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,626 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:50 AM

As far as being a conflict or interest, maybe, but definitely noting even close to the stuff that King Jerry has pulled off during his tenure. It pales in comparison.

There used to be one in the Kmart shopping center, but I don't think they are still there. Past that, I know of no other one. And you're right, who is going to say, 'No way, my guns are WAY more expensive then the ones they bought'? Really!!

#56 UnionMom

UnionMom

Super Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,245 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:51 AM

Local does not have to mean Hiram only and there is no getting around the conflict. If they have to broaden to all of Paulding and then look into surrounding counties vs. going out of state ... if there is a notable savings, it is their duty to protect the taxpayers' money.

As for Jerry, et al ... I have no black and white factual knowledge of anything but if there are areas that need investigating (which it sounds as if there may be), I would love to see it checked into. It seems that Paulding is well behind the curve when it comes to recognizing the need to clean up the fuzzy lines.

And before anybody gets bent out of shape ... I like Paulding very much. It is for that reason that these things bother me. No witch hunt ... no friends in places getting screwed ... pure and simple, there are things here that are not as they should be and I hate to see this wonderful county hurt by them.

#57 Madea

Madea

Diary of a Mad Black Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,484 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:52 AM

Just wondering out loud if the "Patriot" in this thread is Patriot Pawn . . . Posted Image
And for the record, I am not/will not be in any way responsible for your child in any way, shape or form. You had this child, I did not. And if you get to judge me as a person then I get to judge you as a parent. ~Rockysmom (8/11/10)

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson.

Your judgments don't define me, they define you.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

"Justice cannot be for one side alone, but must be for both." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself."

#58 Georgia Dawg

Georgia Dawg

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,243 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:55 AM

There used to be one in the Kmart shopping center, but I don't think they are still there. Past that, I know of no other one. And you're right, who is going to say, 'No way, my guns are WAY more expensive then the ones they bought'? Really!!

Yeah, it's kinjd of the like the reporter asking the gentleman "Have you stopped beating your wife?"
What are you going to say???

Posted Image

Senator Barack Obama

#59 momof 3

momof 3

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,626 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:55 AM

Just wondering out loud if the "Patriot" in this thread is Patriot Pawn . . . Posted Image

I think so, it's in Dallas.

#60 UnionMom

UnionMom

Super Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,245 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:57 AM

Yeah, it's kinjd of the like the reporter asking the gentleman "Have you stopped beating your wife?"
What are you going to say???

Nevermind that they also found them online cheaper.

#61 fitfabandfree

fitfabandfree

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:59 AM

There is still one in there called Gold and Guns.

#62 momof 3

momof 3

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,626 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:03 AM

Yep, that its. I'm glad they are still open.

#63 Grayce

Grayce

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,454 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:04 AM

I thought the Mayor owned the Pawn Shope and the Husband run it!
Sometimes I just want to be left alone.........And sometimes I don't!

Georgia is always on my mind......Dawg Fan, Falcons on Sundays and Hawks on the nights they play and I can't leave out the Braves.......love them all EXCEPT Tech...lol

#64 patriot

patriot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:18 AM

No matter what you think. What kind of person has the audacity to take taxpayer money, that she has complete control of, and authorize purchases and profit from her own business? Face it folks,,,,her business solicited the purchases from the police and she signed the purchase approval and the checks. This goes in the face of every taxpayer and citizen. When will we ever have someone in office that will stick to what they say they are there for?

#65 patriot

patriot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:22 AM

you should talk to the owner of that business and see what trouble he went through with the mayor when he tried to open.

#66 fitfabandfree

fitfabandfree

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:32 AM

I am going to play devil's advocate here for a minute. I have not watched the story, but I do know from experience, that these "Investigative Reporters" don't always tell the whole story.

They did a report on my company one time. We made a delivery to a house that was having A LOT of work done. Building and repairing different things even in a pasture behind the house. Homeowner's were there when we arrived, and told us to come through a driveway, and then take a path across the pasture to the back. Our driver did as he was instructed. While he was there, he witnessed several other trucks doing the same thing, bringing in other items.

Next thing you know, we are being accused of cracking their driveway with our truck, and running over and breaking a water line. We were also accused of knocking down a mailbox.

We spoke to our driver and went out to take a look at what they claim we did. First of all, the very corner of the driveway was cracked, but the ground beneath was completely washed away. Any one of the trucks coming in and out that driveway could have done this, not just ours, not to mention that we were following the homeowner's instructions on how to get to the drop off spot.

The place where the water line was busted, was not even in the same path they had OUR truck take through the pasture, and the tire marks that went through the area could not have been ours because there were only tire tracks for 2 back tires, and the back of our trucks have 4 tires.

As for the mailbox, it was not even at the end of the driveway where we came in and out, it was in the middle of their front yard. No way our truck hit it.

We took pictures of every thing and did an incident report showing that we were not responsible and submitted it to our corporate office. They agreed with us, and refused to pay them anything. The homeowner's then called one of these reporters. They ambushed our office, and stuck a camera in boss' face. When he tried giving our side of the story, he would cut him off, and when it came time to showing his "findings" on the news, my boss was edited out most of the time. It was totally one sided, in favor of the person who called them.

I have worked at the company and for these owner's for 3 1/2 yrs now. Our driver's have knocked down a mailbox or two, or backing in hit a tree limb, or other minor things. It happens. But when it does happen, my bosses are the first to make it right, each and every time, if we are at fault. But these people came after US, because we were the BIG guys, and the others out there were the little people. They thought they could get something from us, even though we did nothing wrong.

Fact is, since being on the other side of these reports, I tend to not believe everything they show on their segments.

#67 UnionMom

UnionMom

Super Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,245 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:41 AM

Fact is, since being on the other side of these reports, I tend to not believe everything they show on their segments.

I don't generally trust the media but they showed the purchase orders with her signature. Her business should cease to do any business with the city while she is in office. Conflict of interests, plain and simple.

#68 NewsJunky

NewsJunky

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,524 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:08 AM

I don't generally trust the media but they showed the purchase orders with her signature. Her business should cease to do any business with the city while she is in office. Conflict of interests, plain and simple.

I think that would be a very good idea and wise advice for the Mayor.

“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” ~~George Orwell

There is no elevator to success. You have to take the stairs.........

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."~~ Edward R. Murrow   

#69 fitfabandfree

fitfabandfree

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:09 AM

Like I said, I have not even watched the report yet. I was just speaking from my personal experience with them. Until I do watch it (and I am at work right now), I don't want to make any comments specifically to this report. I only know what I have read here this morning.

#70 Iam Noone

Iam Noone

Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:15 AM

Agreed! :good:
A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Life is what happens to you while you are planning to do something else.

#71 ProudMawMawof5

ProudMawMawof5

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:25 AM

I'm not defending the Mayor, I don't even know her, but this happens everywhere. Some get caught and some don't. I think if Johnny Shirley is going to put the dirt out there about the Mayor then he needs to let the people know why he resigned. Don't air someone's dirty laundry and expect yours not to be.

#72 UnionMom

UnionMom

Super Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,245 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:40 AM

I'm not defending the Mayor, I don't even know her, but this happens everywhere...

But that's just it ... it doesn't happen "everywhere." Not where people are paying attention and doing what is right.

And it's not just about using her business ... according to the report, the city's own policy requires bids for such purchases (the guns, at least) and there's no record of any bids. Now that could and should have been caught at a number of points in the process so we don't know yet what the story is there.

#73 gardengirl66

gardengirl66

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:45 AM

I'm not defending the Mayor, I don't even know her, but this happens everywhere. Some get caught and some don't. I think if Johnny Shirley is going to put the dirt out there about the Mayor then he needs to let the people know why he resigned. Don't air someone's dirty laundry and expect yours not to be.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Amen sister!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#74 onlyA

onlyA

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,931 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:46 AM

Where would one go to report such an abuse of the system? Just out of curiosity...
Just tryin' to stay warm.

#75 gardengirl66

gardengirl66

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:46 AM

But that's just it ... it doesn't happen "everywhere." Not where people are paying attention and doing what is right.

And it's not just about using her business ... according to the report, the city's own policy requires bids for such purchases (the guns, at least) and there's no record of any bids. Now that could and should have been caught at a number of points in the process so we don't know yet what the story is there.

they always seem to cover thier butts some how!

#76 NewsJunky

NewsJunky

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,524 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:47 AM

WHO was responsible for getting the bids and WHO MADE the purchases and WHO resigned? I think you have to take this story with a grain of salt. There is always more than one side and Fox 5 told one side. I am not defending anyone here either but I think we should not make any judgements without knowing all of the facts. I do think you gave the Mayor good advice about doing business with the Pawn Shop.

“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” ~~George Orwell

#77 UnionMom

UnionMom

Super Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,245 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:51 AM

WHO was responsible for getting the bids and WHO MADE the purchases and WHO resigned? I think you have to take this story with a grain of salt. There is always more than one side and Fox 5 told one side. I am not defending anyone here either but I think we should not make any judgements without knowing all of the facts. I do think you gave the Mayor good advice about doing business with the Pawn Shop.

I wasn't pointing any fingers on the bid issue. We don't have enough info on that one. Shirley should have known ... mayor should have known ... heck, even the secretaries should have known. These kinds of stories, heck most any stories, are rarely reported without some degree of bias.

#78 onlyA

onlyA

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,931 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:53 AM

I could spin it in the other direction, too.

Maybe the police chief felt cornered by the Mayor. She's higher up the ladder, clearly makes the financial decisions for the city - who's to say she couldn't have some serious hold on him?

I'm fairly certain the Mayor is responsible for getting multiple bids for anything the city purchases; however.

#79 NewsJunky

NewsJunky

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,524 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:58 AM

I could spin it in the other direction, too.

Maybe the police chief felt cornered by the Mayor. She's higher up the ladder, clearly makes the financial decisions for the city - who's to say she couldn't have some serious hold on him?

I'm fairly certain the Mayor is responsible for getting multiple bids for anything the city purchases; however.

Not trying to spin it at all. I am just saying we do not know the whole story and there is always more than one side. Your comments are pretty much the ones that were made on the Fox news story.

#80 onlyA

onlyA

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,931 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:03 AM

Not trying to spin it at all. I am just saying we do not know the whole story and there is always more than one side. Your comments are pretty much the ones that were made on the Fox news story.

I haven't seen it.

:pardon:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics