21 replies to this topic

#1 meandada

meandada

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 12:09 AM

I am glad to say that Thomas is leaving and they were smart enough to give the head coaching job to Napier who should have gotten it when the last coach left. Does anyone agree with me? Mr. Napier will do a good job and let winning get in the way of doing what is right and what is in the best interest of the students at HJMS. Is anyone as happy as I am about the coaching change?

#2 DieHard

DieHard

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,553 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 12:53 AM

QUOTE (meandada @ Apr 3 2005, 12:09 AM)
I am glad to say that Thomas is leaving and they were smart enough to give the head coaching job to Napier who should have gotten it when the last coach left.  Does anyone agree with me?  Mr. Napier will do a good job and let winning get in the way of doing what is right and what is in the best interest of the students at HJMS.  Is anyone as happy as I am about the coaching change?

What was the problem with the old coach? This is middle school football, just not in tune with it but love the sport and wish I could coach.

#3 meandada

meandada

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 01:04 AM

I have had the misfortune of seeing the old coach hurt kids carelessly, but I am confident that Mr. Napier will do an excellent job. I know I will be challenged for specifics so...he breaks rules, plays ineligible players, plays favorites, and he teaches his kids to act with conduct that is unsportsman like.

#4 JYD

JYD

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 09:54 AM

When my children were at HJMS,the coach taught fairness and played fairly.They also won region trophies.Of course this was 10 years ago.

#5 JetBeauty32

JetBeauty32

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 12:22 PM

QUOTE (JYD @ Apr 3 2005, 09:54 AM)
When my children were at HJMS,the coach taught fairness and played fairly.They also won region trophies.Of course this was 10 years ago.

My son is a 6th grader at HJMS and he raves about Coach Thomas. I've only met him briefly and do not know much about him, but he seems to be ok. I saw a few of the football games last year and I didn't notice anything so terribly different than normal about the coaching staff. I hope it's not true, because Coach Thomas also coaches basketball and he's already talking with my son about playing for him.

#6 Almighty Munchkin

Almighty Munchkin

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,771 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 12:28 PM

Now if we could only change coaches at EPMS biggrin.gif
ohmy.gif Did I say that?! blush.gif ninja.gif
Posted ImageIt's not necessarily about you....or is it....Posted Image

epMomHF

#7 REV

REV

Super Icon

• Membr
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,510 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 01:10 PM

QUOTE (epMomHF @ Apr 4 2005, 12:28 PM)
Now if we could only change coaches at EPMS  biggrin.gif
ohmy.gif Did I say that?! blush.gif  ninja.gif

Yes, and you said it aloud too epmom!! (That is one of my favorite sayings, especially when I am at my bluntest.) Is bluntest a word?
He said/She said.....Who gives a sheeze?

#8 Almighty Munchkin

Almighty Munchkin

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,771 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 01:32 PM

QUOTE (REV @ Apr 4 2005, 02:10 PM)
Yes, and you said it aloud too epmom!!  (That is one of my favorite sayings, especially when I am at my bluntest.) Is bluntest a word?

I am confused.....are you agreeing with what I said or not? huh.gif
BTW: You can use "bluntest"......if it wasn't a word before, we will make it officially one now biggrin.gif wink.gif
Posted ImageIt's not necessarily about you....or is it....Posted Image

epMomHF

#9 satellite

satellite

Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,603 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 02:55 PM

That is one of my favorite sayings, especially when I am at my bluntest.

Sounds good to me! I am the world's worst about inventing words.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

-sat

Gangsta rap made me do it.

#10 Lost Boy

Lost Boy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 11:28 PM

Tell me more about this Napier guy. Does anyone know him? I have heard the name before, but I can't say much more than that.

#11 sharkboy

sharkboy

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 05:36 AM

mr. napier is a good guy, great with kids and seems to be a genuinely concerned educator. The kids should be just fine.

However, this year at Jones' middle school, my child in the gifted venture program "lost" their certified gifted science teacher over the holidays. She just left, with no explanation from the administration. My kids' education took a hit. Last year, my kids' math teacher was out five weeks and no qualified gifted math teacher was found as a replacement.
While it's important to worry about what amounts to little league football at a middle school, putting it in perspective, teachers, not coaches should be the concern of our community.

And, before I catch ANY heat about how important athletics are, for more than ten years I worked for one of the nation's most recognized collegiate athletics departments. I was directly involved with big-time football, basketball,and 22 "other" sports, so I know exactly what I'm talking about.

Worry more whether any "coach" gets his kids to class and teaches them about being a good student and person.
Posted Image

#12 TDD

TDD

Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 10:57 PM

QUOTE (meandada @ Apr 3 2005, 12:09 AM)
I am glad to say that Thomas is leaving and they were smart enough to give the head coaching job to Napier who should have gotten it when the last coach left.  Does anyone agree with me?  Mr. Napier will do a good job and let winning get in the way of doing what is right and what is in the best interest of the students at HJMS.  Is anyone as happy as I am about the coaching change?

I am also happy Mr. Napier got the head Coach postion at Jones. I also agree that he should have gotten it a couple a years ago when the last coach left. I know Mr. Napier to be a very ethical person and will do a great job with the kids at Jones. The kids really seemd to respond to him and his positive approach. He will not embarass the kids or Jones. I have seen Thomas pitch such a "fit" during games his own players were asking him to be quiet so they could play. This won't happen with Mr. Napier. Jones not only got a good coach but they hired a quality person to coach their football team.
If you see someone waving their hands, they may not be waving at you...Especially at church

Images removed too large.

#13 C0ACH

C0ACH

Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 11:03 PM

I cannot believe that I am responding to the last post. I am impressed with the possibility that the writer was directly involved with big-time football, but I am not sure that you know exactly what you are talking about.

I may be a little biased since I coach and since I have known Nape for at least 27 years, but I think you might be hard pressed to find a better educator in Paulding County than Jason Napier.

I would also like to add that out of the ten best teachers I have ever had nine were coaches, and this would include my AP Calculus instructor, Coach Gene Quarles, 8th grade "gifted" science teacher Coach Gary Joines, and my advanced math survey teacher Coach Jeff Kinsler. This list would go on for a while.

Now that I teach, I often notice that the most dedicated teachers also coach whether it be band chorus, junior Beta, football, academic team or whatever.

I wonder if your child's science teacher coached? I bet she didn't.

I just wonder if coaches aren't exactly what this community needs.

And at the same time, the teachers for whom I have the most respect would make great coaches regardless of the sport.

Of course it is just my opinion, but I wish people would stop separating extra-curriculars and academics. They are both important. I can't separate or even distinguish them at times. I do have my priorities, and my classes never suffer due to the fact that I coach. If it were not for coaching I would probably make a move to a more lucrative career.

Anyway I am getting off topic. I know that Coach Napier will get his students to class and will develop good people. Congratulations, Nape. I know you are proud to be a coach.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes. - Walt Whitman

#14 C0ACH

C0ACH

Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 11:07 PM

G. M. and B. C. , this is a dig directed to you and other Dawg Fans, but I wanted to add that I did not know that there were any big time football programs in the area. I though one would have to travel N. to TN, W. to ALA., or South to Florida to be involved in a big time athletic program.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes. - Walt Whitman

#15 C0ACH

C0ACH

Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 11:08 PM

Shark boy must have moved here from Tuscaloosa.

#16 TDD

TDD

Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 11:10 PM

QUOTE (coachleecollins @ Apr 6 2005, 11:07 PM)
G. M. and B. C. , this is a dig directed to you and other Dawg Fans, but I wanted to add that I did not know that there were any big time football programs in the area.  I though one would have to travel N. to TN, W. to ALA., or South to Florida to be involved in a big time athletic program.

You talkin to me?
If you see someone waving their hands, they may not be waving at you...Especially at church

#17 C0ACH

C0ACH

Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 11:12 PM

I couldn't resist.

#18 TDD

TDD

Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 11:13 PM

QUOTE (coachleecollins @ Apr 6 2005, 11:12 PM)
I couldn't resist.

biggrin.gif

#19 C0ACH

C0ACH

Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 11:21 PM

go to live chat ditch!

#20 sharkboy

sharkboy

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 06:26 AM

wow, first off Iain't from around these parts (imagine, if you will, places outside georgia, alabama, tennesee, florida? In fact, there are fifty states in all, but of course being an educator, you would know that.

I was an athlete straight through college and have had dozens of coaches who were also the most important people in my life.

I never missed a jones football game in the past three seasons and their coach was wound a bit too tight. It is junior high school football - that's all.

Put junior highschool football in perspective with one of my favorite sports quotes of all time -

When asked during super bowl week how he felt about playing in the "ultimate game" dallas cowboy great Drew Pearson said "If it's the ultimate game, why are they going to play it again next year?"

Some, not all, but nonetheless too many coaches at this level take things way too seriously. Thankfully, Mr. Napier isn't one of those guys
Posted Image

#21 Coach Napier

Coach Napier

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 12:14 PM

I just finished reading all the posts, and I appreciate the compliments. I would like to add to the comment of coaching and educating though. I try my best to coach all my kids and not just the athletes. I find that the strategies I use out on the football field work just as well in the classroom. Creating an environment built on coaching strategies is actually a solid technique. If an athlete doesn't get a skill, agility, or a play it's obvious it needs to be coached again. Same in the classroom when a student doesn't get the lesson. Most great teachers are like great coaches.

I would also like to take an issue with the comment that it's "Just Middle School Football". I don't look at it that way at all. I can't tell you what an impact middle school sports has made on some of my former players. I have coached so many kids that if not for middle school sports, they would have never felt the need to excell in the classroom. I guess I take offense to those people that say middle school sports aren't that important because I see first hand the difference it makes.

Anyway, I am looking forward to this great opportunity to be the head coach this next year, and I will try my best not to dissapoint anyone with my behavior! lol

P.S. Go to class kids! lol

Edited by Coach Napier, 08 April 2005 - 12:15 PM.

#22 AnnaC

AnnaC

Paulding Com member

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:46 PM

This is an old post. I wonder if he misses it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics