15 replies to this topic

#1 TROUBLES

TROUBLES

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 03:36 PM

An trying to compose this correspondence it is difficult to know how to begin. I am the 2nd oldest and only daughter of Sargent Major Lewis W. Leary. My Father was a War hero. He served in WWII, Korea ( twice) and the Vietnam War(twice). Retired after 28 years and died in 1981 of 7 different types of Cancer. I was 25 years old when he passed away. My two youngest brothers were left in my care. My youngest brother Sean had a good deal of difficulties with the loss of our Father as he was so young and I was not as mature as I am now. So, for the past 12 years he has lived in Kentucky- on & off the streets. Each Christmas I would give myself the gift of seeing him by paying his way here to Hiram. This past December my husband and I agreed that if he would apply himself to a differnt live-style we would give him a roof over his head and food. He has lost his social security card and we have tried since January 2005 to help him get a new card. Problem is- he does not have a photo ID and you can not get a photo ID without a Social Security card. We have been to the Social Security office and had a difficult time finding someone that spoke English. Once we did, they quickly brushed us off. My previous experience with the SSI office was not well a happy one. I had to "produce" the "Child Born Abroad" miltary records in order to get my maiden name changed to my married name so I knew going into the office it would be difficult. But by Dad, even though he has been gone for so long- had the paper work in an old Army footlocker. (thank you Daddy)

I need some assistance. There must be some way the youngest son of this man who gave so much to this Country can get a Social Securty Card- HE WANTS TO WORK. He is a great masonary and lays brick. Most importantly, he is my brother and I love him and want to do whatever I can to help. If anyone knows how to get the card Please Please help.

It seems so unfair. He did not have our Father around as long as I did- there is a 10 year difference in our ages. My brother is very nice, always helpful to everyone - he needs to work. How or what can we do to get the SSI card? I have my Dad's miltary records, birth certificate and my brother birth certificate and we know his SSI number. When we showed them the birth certificate- we were told this was not proof that he was Sean it only proves he was born. Go figure.

It seems so sad that after all these years without any assistance from the Army or social services that we find ourselves back in a catch 22 position.

Someone please just point us in the right direction and we will march right up to the answer.

Thank you for any assistance and if you read this whole thing- thank you for your time.

Elizabeth (Troubles)

#2 PsychoMom

PsychoMom

La La La . . . I can't hear you!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,903 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 03:40 PM

I'm not sure. I'll see what I can find out though. I mean you can get a child's SSN card replaced without a photo ID. so there has to be a way.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old we grow old because we stop playing."
(George Bernard Shaw)

#3 PsychoMom

PsychoMom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,903 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 03:43 PM

Check out these 2 links.

http://ssa-custhelp....li=&p_topview=1

http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.html

"We don't stop playing because we grow old we grow old because we stop playing."
(George Bernard Shaw)

#4 Guest_PPS_*

Guest_PPS_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2005 - 03:50 PM

If an illegel immigrant can get a Driver's Liscense...then he should be able to get another copy of his SS card!

#5 Ernnnnnnnn

Ernnnnnnnn

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,758 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 03:55 PM

Can it be any type of photo ID? Go get a BJ's card?

No, on a serious note, pose that to Smokin or Bravo. They might know.

#6 TROUBLES

TROUBLES

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE (PsychoMom @ Apr 1 2005, 03:43 PM)

#7 TROUBLES

TROUBLES

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 04:02 PM

Thank you - I printed out the forms- sadly the Marietta office is the same one we have been to before. And yes, it makes me wonder what the trick is- good golly- it is not like I am asking them for money or anything. And let me tell you Spanish is the language spoken not Englist at this facility. Don't even get me started. I was able to get one of his former Employer's to give me a copy of one of his pay checks. I know in my heart there is a way to get R done. And just having you reply so quickly has meant so much-thank you

#8 TROUBLES

TROUBLES

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 04:14 PM

And the SSI story continues- you must provide proof of identity- they need this to determine your continued existence. Yeah, they actually state that in writing. They prefer to see a document with a photo- I did try and get him a card at SAMS- they require a driver's ID before they will provide a card.
I even tried to get Comcast to add him under my name- they will accept a utility bill- but Comcast was unable to put in on the bill- they have it in what they call "notes." So, much for thinking too hard.

#9 TROUBLES

TROUBLES

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 04:16 PM

QUOTE (PsychoMom @ Apr 1 2005, 03:40 PM)
I'm not sure.  I'll see what I can find out though.  I mean you can get a child's SSN card replaced without a photo ID.  so there has to be a way.

#10 Ernnnnnnnn

Ernnnnnnnn

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,758 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 04:17 PM

QUOTE (TROUBLES @ Apr 1 2005, 05:14 PM)
And the SSI story continues- you must provide proof of identity- they need this to determine your continued existence. Yeah, they actually state that in writing. They prefer to see a document with a photo- I did try and get him a card at SAMS- they require a driver's ID before they will provide a card.
I even tried to get Comcast to add him under my name- they will accept a utility bill- but Comcast was unable to put in on the bill- they have it in what they call "notes." So, much for thinking too hard.

Well, My hubby got a card in his name and added me and I didn't have to show ID. This was BJ.

Go to Walmart and have a ID made, if all else fails

#11 PsychoMom

PsychoMom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,903 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 04:22 PM

Hey! I just thought of something! You can take your birth certificate and something else and at the DMV get an ID card made.

It looks kinda like a driver's license, but it is just an ID card. Check this and see:

http://www.dmvs.ga.g...ntification.asp

(George Bernard Shaw)

#12 Puddle Jumper

Puddle Jumper

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 05:46 PM

You should be able to use a birth certifiacte. You can call vital recaords at 404-679-4701 or www.vitalcheck.com. That is for Georgia births. Also you might be able to get the phone in his name or transfer the electric bill into his name. I know you can add a name on cingular cell. I have actually done that. Our cell phone was in my mother in laws name and we could never get any type of help with the account. So we called and added our name so when the bill comes it has my mom in law and my husband name on it. Good Luck! I know how hard it can be but it can be done!

#13 rednekkhikkchikk

rednekkhikkchikk

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 06:04 PM

Birth certificate and something else was what I'd suggest too, or the photo ID from the state. He ever been married? I think a certified marriage license or divorce decree would work...and used to be I think you could use your immunization record but I may be wrong on that.
"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion". - Sir Francis Bacon

"The mystery of government is not how Washington works but how to make it stop". -P. J. O'Rourke

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." ~Frank Zappa

"All persons ought to endeavor to follow what is right, and not what is established." -Aristotle

"No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another, and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him." -Thomas Jefferson

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority." -Noah Webster

"The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking". - AA Milne

#14 Braves' Dave

Braves' Dave

Paulding Com member

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 08:12 PM

Where there's a will, there's a way!

You seem to have the love and the will - someone here will find you the way.

Sad to hear your problems with the Marietta office - they have always been so helpful to me - though it was always over the phone.

Hope neither you or your brother lose your courage smile.gif

Dave

#15 Riograce

Riograce

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,480 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 10:23 PM

It's *possible* that he could get a GA ID card.

If he ever had a license or state-issued ID in another state, he *would* have to either produce it or get a motor vehicle record from that state.

He would also need his certified birth certificate, his Social Security number (NOT the card, just the number!), and proof of residence. If he is living with you, go get one of those lease agreement forms that they sell at office supply stores and fill it out completely. *Both* of you (as the lessor and lessee) need to sign it. ID cards are $10 (cash only!), and are good for 4 years. That would solve the problem with Social Security's requirements.

FWIW, I've never had a problem with the folks at the Marietta SS office --- they've always been very courteous and helpful. And they've always spoken English. wink.gif

Good luck!

#16 TROUBLES

TROUBLES

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 08:08 AM

Thank you all so much. I have printed all the information and will utilize it to accomplish thjs task. I have never used this site to ask questions- I have read many things that were useful- you might guess or feel how thankful and what a delight it was to see that someone out there answered my questions. I will give the Marietta office another chance and maybe it was my own outlook at the time that caused the young lady to be defensive. Either way I intend on having a nice experince next go around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics