27 replies to this topic

#1 LGM

LGM

Crafting and ninja raising extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,433 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:30 PM

I haven't seen anything on it, so I thought I would post. I saw the news last week where the media was switching things around and saying that there would be a 77% increase in tuition to cover $300+ million dollars in the USG budget. I knew straight off it was incorrect information, but scary nonetheless. The amount that the University System of Georgia has to come up with is the total budget for more than 20 of the 35 schools in Georgia. I talked to my bosses, they said 'nobody knows anything yet, don't panic'. About an hour later, the president issued a statement calling a Town Hall meeting for today. I didn't get to go, but I watched part of the video and got some feedback from some friends, and they said nothing was definite but ideas were being tossed around between the students and administration as to what could be cut but were told that nothing had been proposed yet. Get home, go to the USG website, and there's a proposal from each college right on the website already. :rolleyes: Other than being kind of ticked that the students apparently weren't told the specifics of the proposal when the proposal was already in, I'm somewhat happy with the way KSU is trying to disburse the budget cuts across the entire campus instead of just in one highly condensed area (like tuition). It's still very doom and gloom - alot of the cuts are going to turn the school around in a potentially negative way. :(

Here's a link: Proposed Reductions

UGA is talking about cutting more than 1000 positions. :( KSU is pages 63-66, and they're proposing over 200 positions...that's alot for our size. Four of those positions just happens to include yours truly. ~sigh~

"I'm not raising a child...I'm raising an adult" - LGM

'you get mega cool points for being a rare breed of woman who knows how to keep her mouth closed!!!!'

- Anonymous, awesome p.commer.

#2 LGM

LGM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,433 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 09:57 AM

Bumping for the day crowd. ♥

'you get mega cool points for being a rare breed of woman who knows how to keep her mouth closed!!!!'

#3 KArt

KArt

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:10 AM

Thanks LGM. I saw your posting about this on FB last night and didn't get a chance to look then.

For those of you questioning 4H and GA Highlands, all the info is in this document. This is a very sad time for our state with all of these cuts on the table.

#4 LGM

LGM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,433 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:38 AM

Thanks LGM. I saw your posting about this on FB last night and didn't get a chance to look then.

For those of you questioning 4H and GA Highlands, all the info is in this document. This is a very sad time for our state with all of these cuts on the table.

Yup, there are thousands of jobs proposed to be eliminated, and dozens of programs state-wide. It's not just KSU, it's all 35 colleges and universities in the University System of Georgia. People would be surprised at what other things this effect - like the 4-H program.

#5 xxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxx

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,271 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:54 AM

It is a lot of doom and gloom being projected by the regents right now, in an effort to persuade the people of Georgia that they are somehow above the budget fray. They are not used to the concept that one, the state government budget is limited by law and common sense, and two, that their funds come from the same near empty pot that everything else does. The 77% figure was a scare tactic, pure and simple. It assumes that they can not cut their budget, but must replace every cent in lost state revenue with revenue from tuition, which is of course absurd. Even then, that number is very suspect.

We will likely see a modest increase in tuition, some ineffective programs cut, and some expansion and upgrade plans put on the back burner.

#6 sugail

sugail

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,269 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:54 AM

My son has a 9th grade advisement coming up this month at North for his six year academic plan. I just don't know how we're supposed to encourage our children to work toward a future that we as adults aren't even confident in. We're hoping funding will be available for college, but will there be any jobs for them once they graduate?

#7 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,533 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:58 AM

Word is our Georgia Highlands campus in downtown Dallas will be closing. I love the way all the politicians patted themselves on the back for getting us the campus, and now pull the funding. So much for the Paulding 4 year college campus.
When you think they are ganging up against you....."Illigitimus non es carborundum"

#8 LGM

LGM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,433 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:03 PM

It is a lot of doom and gloom being projected by the regents right now, in an effort to persuade the people of Georgia that they are somehow above the budget fray. They are not used to the concept that one, the state government budget is limited by law and common sense, and two, that their funds come from the same near empty pot that everything else does. The 77% figure was a scare tactic, pure and simple. It assumes that they can not cut their budget, but must replace every cent in lost state revenue with revenue from tuition, which is of course absurd. Even then, that number is very suspect.

We will likely see a modest increase in tuition, some ineffective programs cut, and some expansion and upgrade plans put on the back burner.

I keep trying to explain that to the students without saying it in that exact form.

I know without a doubt that *we* do have to come up with the 14.7 million. I also know we cut over 10 million last year, and things are already incredibly tight. I'm talking, shoes two sizes two small kind of tight. Two weeks ago the students were creating 'Wear black to protest a 77% increase in tuition!!!!' facebook groups...now it's 'Wear black to protest the budget cuts!!!' fan pages.

I can't seem to make them understand that there really is a need for funding, and it has to come from somewhere. They're trying to disburse it across the campus the best they can, but they're having to do away with some things in the process.

Not everything they're proposing to cut is 'ineffective' though. The Center for Excellence in Teaching, the Kennesaw Press, and the Collegiate Recovery Center are all very effective, awesome programs. They just don't effect the entire school. The Collegiate Recovery Center, for example, helps students battle addiction and recovery - I'll be sad to see it go if/when it happens.

#9 MeWhoElse

MeWhoElse

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,116 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:05 PM

Word is our Georgia Highlands campus in downtown Dallas will be closing. I love the way all the politicians patted themselves on the back for getting us the campus, and now pull the funding. So much for the Paulding 4 year college campus.

What would be your solution?

Posted Image

~~Just so you know, GNAT is spelled with a G and not a K~~

Disclaimer: I look nothing like my avatar...

#10 K96W8

K96W8

Icon

• +HELPINGHANDS MPX
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:13 PM

Thanks LGM. My son is a freshmen at West Georgia. I didn't read all of it yet--but one thing that jumped out a me is eliminating 4 campus police officers at UWG. I don't think they would be there in the first place if they weren't needed.

I hope your postion will not be elimnated.

#11 xxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxx

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,271 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:55 PM

I keep trying to explain that to the students without saying it in that exact form.

I know without a doubt that *we* do have to come up with the 14.7 million. I also know we cut over 10 million last year, and things are already incredibly tight. I'm talking, shoes two sizes two small kind of tight. Two weeks ago the students were creating 'Wear black to protest a 77% increase in tuition!!!!' facebook groups...now it's 'Wear black to protest the budget cuts!!!' fan pages.

I can't seem to make them understand that there really is a need for funding, and it has to come from somewhere. They're trying to disburse it across the campus the best they can, but they're having to do away with some things in the process.

Not everything they're proposing to cut is 'ineffective' though. The Center for Excellence in Teaching, the Kennesaw Press, and the Collegiate Recovery Center are all very effective, awesome programs. They just don't effect the entire school. The Collegiate Recovery Center, for example, helps students battle addiction and recovery - I'll be sad to see it go if/when it happens.

It will be hard, no doubt about it, but it is necessary. It is surprising how much more efficient any operation is after undergoing these kinds of painful decisions. The trade off is going to be not only staying within this year's budget, but more efficiency and therefore lower tuition in the coming years.

It is sad that the powers that be choose to use scare tactics instead of actually educating the students in the budget process and teaching them what their education actually costs and how it is paid for. If given the opportunity, many of them could probably pinpoint some programs that are of lower value than the administration may suspect.

#12 Just Denise

Just Denise

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:05 PM

Here is the topic I started last week.

I am glad it has come up again. It isn't just about saving jobs in the USG... it is really about education. I hope this helps clear up more of the confusion.

Thanks LGM!

No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it.

~Albert Einstein Posted Image

I'm fat... apparently, that means I am lazy, indignant and unattractive!

#13 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,533 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:20 PM

What would be your solution?

Well, right off the bat I would say Sonny's $9million Equestrian Center can be shelved for a couple of years, along with the Middle Georgia Veternarian College going up in his back yard.

Are they going to do like Georgia Highlands.....spend the money on the buildings and then not staff the class rooms ?

Last Sunday's AJC had a list of the lame duck PORK projects Sonny alone has in the budget that are absolutely absurd, not to mention other pork from other districts.
When you think they are ganging up against you....."Illigitimus non es carborundum"

#14 NewsJunky

NewsJunky

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,524 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:24 PM

I don't pretend to know how much of the funds applied to education in Georgia goes to individual areas. I do know that about 60% of the TOTAL budget goes to fund education. I know that the Pre-K program is funded from the Lottery and I have also wondered if they closed that program if the funds could then be applied to higher education. It might throw more money into the Hope Scholarship program to defray some of the increase in tuition. I think there was a suggestion made to move some of those funds into higher education and it was found to be against the rules about where Lottery funds can be applied. Maybe they need to look at how to change some of that.

“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” ~~George Orwell

There is no elevator to success. You have to take the stairs.........

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."~~ Edward R. Murrow   

#15 NewsJunky

NewsJunky

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,524 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:28 PM

Well, right off the bat I would say Sonny's $9million Equestrian Center can be shelved for a couple of years, along with the Middle Georgia Veternarian College going up in his back yard.

Are they going to do like Georgia Highlands.....spend the money on the buildings and then not staff the class rooms ?

Last Sunday's AJC had a list of the lame duck PORK projects Sonny alone has in the budget that are absolutely absurd, not to mention other pork from other districts.

Have you checked the new budget to see if it is still there? I heard nothing was off the chopping block. Committees are still working on it. Don't think they go back in session to battle it out on the floor until March 8th. I bet they get cut!

“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” ~~George Orwell

#16 soccermom

soccermom

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:33 PM

My daughter is transfering to KSU in the fall.

She's at a private school right now but made the decision
that she doesn't want a bazillion dollars in loans out there when she graduates. Smart girl!

She's kept HOPE but even now there is a deficit when looking
at tutition at KSU. Let's just hope and pray she can
find a job to help offset anymore increases.

#17 NewsJunky

NewsJunky

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,524 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:46 PM

that she doesn't want a bazillion dollars in loans out there when she graduates. Smart girl!

It is hitting all over the state. It is truly a scary time for students and parents in the system (not to mention staff).

Just read this:
http://wsbradio.com/...ding-offer.html

The University of Georgia is considering rescinding admission to 500 freshman who have already been offered a slot in the upcoming class.
It's one of the ways UGA may have to cut $60 million out of its budget.

And This:

http://chronicle.aug...ts?v=1267588208Tuesday, March 2, 2010
Augusta State University and Medical College of Georgia officials joined forces this afternoon in a press conference to denounce potential cuts that could come should $300 million more in state funding be slashed.

#18 soccermom

soccermom

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:17 PM

I heard about UGA rescinding those acceptance letters
on the news this morning.

We've always been a very budget concious family but when
my husband was laid off for 6 months last year...Right
before we had to send her off to college we really got
an eye opener.
She has a deans scholarship where she's at now, but it
still didn't cover all the cost.
Plus KSU has the program she interested in now.
*lets home they don't cut it back too far :(

#19 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,533 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:36 PM

Have you checked the new budget to see if it is still there? I heard nothing was off the chopping block. Committees are still working on it. Don't think they go back in session to battle it out on the floor until March 8th. I bet they get cut!

The students currently enrolled at the Georgia Highlands Dallas Campus were told this past week the campus was shutting down in June and to make other arrangements to take their classes after spring semester.

#20 NewsJunky

NewsJunky

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,524 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:03 PM

The students currently enrolled at the Georgia Highlands Dallas Campus were told this past week the campus was shutting down in June and to make other arrangements to take their classes after spring semester.

surepip and soccermon, I will be hoping and praying that all works out for these kids. I know how hard it was to get the degrees in this family. I truly hate all of this and I hope they find a way to fund all of these schools.

#21 TwoKidCircus

TwoKidCircus

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:18 PM

The difference in funding is all of his pork is bond issued backed by the state. You can't issue bonds to pay for higher education.

#22 Juicy Fruit

Juicy Fruit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:47 PM

This is not true. I attend Georgia Highlands. All my teachers at the Dallas campus have said that IF they do close down the campus we will need to pick another location to attend. There has been no official word on whether or not the Dallas location will close.

#23 LGM

LGM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,433 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:09 PM

HOPE Scholarship covers (@ KSU, specifically, other schools are different) the exact cost of tuition, $150 for books, and $283 in student fees. Your daughter will have anywhere from $200-800 (ish) left in fees to take care of plus the remaining books.

When I first started at KSU, students were paying $40-160 out of pocket after HOPE:(.

#24 soccermom

soccermom

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:40 PM

HOPE Scholarship covers (@ KSU, specifically, other schools are different) the exact cost of tuition, $150 for books, and $283 in student fees. Your daughter will have anywhere from $200-800 (ish) left in fees to take care of plus the remaining books.

When I first started at KSU, students were paying $40-160 out of pocket after HOPE:(.

Huh, We were basing the $$ based on the tuition and fees schedule on the KSU website for 15 hours. We were looking at $5400 for both semesters....I must be missing something. If you can point me in the right direction it will be much appreciated.

Edited by soccermom, 03 March 2010 - 05:45 PM.

#25 LGM

LGM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,433 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:15 PM

Huh, We were basing the $ based on the tuition and fees schedule on the KSU website for 15 hours. We were looking at $5400 for both semesters....I must be missing something. If you can point me in the right direction it will be much appreciated.

1) Just know that the website isn't accurate for the 10-11 school year. The tuition hasn't been set yet. The tuition increase won't matter if she has HOPE, hopefully, because HOPE covers tuition completely. I would go with this one because it's the highest so far:

https://financialser...tes(update).pdf

2) Going to base this on just the Spring:
Tuition is $1998 per semester. That's automatically covered by HOPE. The fees are $673, and HOPE covers $283 of those. That leaves, $390 in fees out-of-pocket, plus the $50 parking pass, plus meal plan (in my original estimate, I forgot about the meal plan) and books. She'll get a $150 book allowance, but if she's going full-time it definitely won't cover all of her books. Meal plan was, I think, around $900 for incoming full-time freshmen, but don't hold me to that one. If she's not a freshmen, she can go with a lower meal plan. I don't have the exact numbers because they only have the Summer meal-plans on the website.

So, assuming she's an full-time freshman, you'll be out-of-pocket around $1340 each semester, plus books. If she's not a freshman, it could be much cheaper. If she's eligible for the Pell Grant, that would also help. There are also meal-plan exemption options for low-income.

Hope this helps! If not, message me. :D

Edited by LGM, 03 March 2010 - 11:18 PM.

#26 jewels

jewels

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:41 AM

I haven't seen anything on it, so I thought I would post. I saw the news last week where the media was switching things around and saying that there would be a 77% increase in tuition to cover $300+ million dollars in the USG budget. I knew straight off it was incorrect information, but scary nonetheless. The amount that the University System of Georgia has to come up with is the total budget for more than 20 of the 35 schools in Georgia. I talked to my bosses, they said 'nobody knows anything yet, don't panic'. About an hour later, the president issued a statement calling a Town Hall meeting for today. I didn't get to go, but I watched part of the video and got some feedback from some friends, and they said nothing was definite but ideas were being tossed around between the students and administration as to what could be cut but were told that nothing had been proposed yet. Get home, go to the USG website, and there's a proposal from each college right on the website already. :rolleyes: Other than being kind of ticked that the students apparently weren't told the specifics of the proposal when the proposal was already in, I'm somewhat happy with the way KSU is trying to disburse the budget cuts across the entire campus instead of just in one highly condensed area (like tuition). It's still very doom and gloom - alot of the cuts are going to turn the school around in a potentially negative way. :(

Here's a link: Proposed Reductions

UGA is talking about cutting more than 1000 positions. :( KSU is pages 63-66, and they're proposing over 200 positions...that's alot for our size. Four of those positions just happens to include yours truly. ~sigh~

Looks to me like the employees all make a pretty decent living, maybe a pay cut across the board is a better option.

#27 soccermom

soccermom

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 08:23 AM

1) Just know that the website isn't accurate for the 10-11 school year. The tuition hasn't been set yet. The tuition increase won't matter if she has HOPE, hopefully, because HOPE covers tuition completely. I would go with this one because it's the highest so far:

https://financialser...tes(update).pdf

2) Going to base this on just the Spring:
Tuition is $1998 per semester. That's automatically covered by HOPE. The fees are $673, and HOPE covers $283 of those. That leaves, $390 in fees out-of-pocket, plus the $50 parking pass, plus meal plan (in my original estimate, I forgot about the meal plan) and books. She'll get a $150 book allowance, but if she's going full-time it definitely won't cover all of her books. Meal plan was, I think, around $900 for incoming full-time freshmen, but don't hold me to that one. If she's not a freshmen, she can go with a lower meal plan. I don't have the exact numbers because they only have the Summer meal-plans on the website.

So, assuming she's an full-time freshman, you'll be out-of-pocket around $1340 each semester, plus books. If she's not a freshman, it could be much cheaper. If she's eligible for the Pell Grant, that would also help. There are also meal-plan exemption options for low-income.

Hope this helps! If not, message me. :D

Thanks LGM you're a real sweetheart :wub: for taking the
time to type all that out for me.

She will be going in as a Sophmore in the Fall.
With her current school being private and $$$$ I guess
that makes a difference in how the Hope is applied.

#28 LGM

LGM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,433 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:14 AM

Looks to me like the employees all make a pretty decent living, maybe a pay cut across the board is a better option.

:blink:

:nea:

Some of them, yes, but not all of them.
Not to mention, we already took a pay cut. They also increased our share of the health insurance by 20 or 30%, and nobody has received a raise in two years.

Thanks LGM you're a real sweetheart :wub: for taking the
time to type all that out for me.

She will be going in as a Sophmore in the Fall.
With her current school being private and $$ I guess
that makes a difference in how the Hope is applied.

No problem!
Talk to Culinary Services and Bursar's about her options for the meal plan as a Sophmore. The HOPE Scholarship is much different for a private school than it is a public school. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics