21 replies to this topic

#1 nativeson1

nativeson1

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:05 PM

Heard that PC Hired former Elbert County Head Man (Brent Miller)? But its not offical yet and they are tring to keep it quiet until it is voted on by the BOE .Anyone know if there's any truth to it?
Support Paulding Schools

#2 Elrod

Elrod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:06 PM

Heard that PC Hired former Elbert County Head Man (Brent Miller)? But its not offical yet and they are tring to keep it quiet until it is voted on by the BOE .Anyone know if there's any truth to it?

I saw that he resigned his coaching position at Elbert. Don't know if that means anything or not.

#3 Elrod

Elrod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:09 PM

I saw that he resigned his coaching position at Elbert. Don't know if that means anything or not.

My bad. That was the coach at Effingham I was thinking about that resigned, not Elbert.

#4 nativeson1

nativeson1

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:14 PM

My bad. That was the coach at Effingham I was thinking about that resigned, not Elbert.

Here's a article about Miller from back in December The former Head Coach at Rome Sid Fritts took the job at Elbert County after Miller left. Sorry so long but the short cut to the link does not work!
ELBERTON, GA

News

Head Devils dumped

By Gary Jones
Elbert County Board of Education Chairman Ben Baker said Monday night he will abide by any recommendation the board gets from School Superintendent Abe Plummer concerning Elbert County football coach Brent Miller and athletic director Bobby McAllister.

“We don’t have anything official and we didn’t hear from the superintendent tonight,” said Baker at Monday’s school board work session, which didn’t include Plummer. “But I do think we are going to hear something about it (at the board’s Dec. 14 meeting). This is coming from (Elbert County Principal) Rick (Higginbotham) and Coach Plummer. This is not a board directive.”

Baker said Plummer had indicated to him that Higginbotham would not be making a recommendation to renew Miller’s or McAllister’s contract.

And, Baker said, he has not been given a reason why Miller or McAllister won’t be recommended.

Baker said he had heard from Miller but that he would not comment on the matter.

Miller, Region 8AAA co-Coach of the Year this year, and McAllister were told Dec. 1 - the day after the Elbert County High School football banquet - that their contracts would not be renewed next year.

Higginbotham told McAllister and Miller, who combined have almost 60 years of coaching experience, that he would not be recommending them for a contract renewal next year.

Miller, whose Blue Devils finished 7-4 and made the state playoffs for the first time since 2005, confirmed that he was told he would not be recommended for renewal but that he couldn’t “get into specifics.”

McAllister, representing Elbert County at the Georgia High School Association region re-alignment meetings last week, said he was told by Higginbotham that a decision had been made to combine the athletics director position with the head football coach position.

According to McAllister, Higginbotham did not say who made that decision.

McAllister said as an executive officer of the Georgia Athletics Coaches Association he would be in meetings this week and that he would find out more details on a transition when he returns to Elberton.

In 2004, shortly before he was named 8AAA Athletic Director of the Year, Elbert County Football Coach Jeff Arnette was told that the Elbert County School Board felt that the head football coach and the athletic director’s position should be divided, and Arnette was relieved of AD duties.

Higginbotham did not return calls about the matter Dec. 2 and Plummer said Dec. 2 that neither he nor Higginbotham would comment on reports that Miller and McAllister had been fired.

“The principal (Higginbotham) has not made a recommendation to me and I have not made a recommendation to the school board, and the school board has the final authority,” said Plummer. “I know what is being said but I’m not going to add anything to it ... the school board won’t meet again until Dec. 14.”

Since 1995 Blue Devil State Championship coach T. McFerrin’s resignation in 1996 (13 years ago), Elbert County’s school boards have offered the head football coaching position to seven different coaches and hired five.

After McFerrin’s resignation, the school board has hired Brady Sigler, Mike Falleur, Jeff Arnette, Eddie Roberts and Miller. The position was also offered to former Arnette assistant David Wagner and current Stephens County assistant coach Ronnie Royston, who turned the position down before Roberts was hired.

[Home][News][Sports][ Education][Calendar][Legal Ads][First FAX][About Us][Contact Us ][Links][Subscribe][Classifieds][Suggestion Box][Archives][ARA][Advertising]

More Great Deals

Edited by nativeson1, 02 March 2010 - 04:20 PM.

Support Paulding Schools

#5 Vote Democrat

Vote Democrat

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:41 PM

The PCHS football program has been struggling for the last couple of years. Perhaps the new coach can get the program back on track. I'm already ready for football season!
"I think we agree, the past is over."
George W. Bush

#6 smy34

smy34

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:27 PM

J R Ewing...do you really believe that a change with coaching will bring change? I respect your opinion, but really do not believe this is the cure..

#7 LGM

LGM

Crafting and ninja raising extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,433 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:36 PM

J R Ewing...do you really believe that a change with coaching will bring change? I respect your opinion, but really do not believe this is the cure..

Worked for East Paulding. :unsure:
  • Palm Trees Rock likes this

"I'm not raising a child...I'm raising an adult" - LGM

'you get mega cool points for being a rare breed of woman who knows how to keep her mouth closed!!!!'

- Anonymous, awesome p.commer.

#8 AnnaC

AnnaC

Paulding Com member

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:39 PM

Wait...did you just ask if change would bring change? Good one.

#9 LindaB

LindaB

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 12:37 PM

My son was at the meeting yesterday for the new coach and seemed to like him.

#10 RaidersRock

RaidersRock

Boo Yah!!

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,364 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 04:14 PM

Wait...did you just ask if change would bring change? Good one.

I'm confused :wacko:
Posted Image

#11 AnnaC

AnnaC

Paulding Com member

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 12:01 AM

I'm confused :wacko:

The person asked if one really thought a change would bring change. It is like asking if all this rain will bring rain. Crazy.

-L

#12 RaidersRock

RaidersRock

Boo Yah!!

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,364 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 08:32 AM

The person asked if one really thought a change would bring change. It is like asking if all this rain will bring rain. Crazy.

-L

thats what confused me :rofl:
Posted Image

#13 champsbbcoach

champsbbcoach

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:46 AM

I heard that they hired the Elbert County head coach as well, and I also heard that he's had a losing record at every school he's coached at. Several people around the immediate area, including Hiram, E Paulding and others applied for the job but were turned away. Word is, they took the cheapest offer. Just what I'm hearing.

#14 LindaB

LindaB

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 12:30 PM

He told the kids in the meeting that it takes him three years but he's taken every team he coached to Regionals and some to state.

How can you check out a claim like that?

:pardon:

#15 LindaB

LindaB

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 12:37 PM

OK according to http://www.ballchart...ueDevilFootball they were the regional champs for 8-AAA football last year. PCHS is in a AAAA region - so isn't that an improvement?

#16 joby

joby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 06:50 AM

I heard that they hired the Elbert County head coach as well, and I also heard that he's had a losing record at every school he's coached at. Several people around the immediate area, including Hiram, E Paulding and others applied for the job but were turned away. Word is, they took the cheapest offer. Just what I'm hearing.

You definitely got some bad information. They got a coach that has won everywhere he has coached and known for turning programs around.

#17 nativeson1

nativeson1

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 01:02 PM

You definitely got some bad information. They got a coach that has won everywhere he has coached and known for turning programs around.

For what its worth. Here's ya Boy Millers track record . From the looks of his 20 year career He's a .500 Coach. Here's the link !
http://ghsfha.org/co...e=Miller, Brent BTW Dont shoot the messenger ! Just givin you the facts ! 8)

Edited by nativeson1, 08 March 2010 - 01:05 PM.

Support Paulding Schools

#18 Palm Trees Rock

Palm Trees Rock

Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 01:08 PM

I only see one trip past the elite 8. I wish him luck, but it makes you wonder.

#19 Brent/NH

Brent/NH

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 06:35 AM

For what its worth. Here's ya Boy Millers track record . From the looks of his 20 year career He's a .500 Coach. Here's the link !
http://ghsfha.org/co...e=Miller, Brent BTW Dont shoot the messenger ! Just givin you the facts ! 8)

LOL, good one. One point I would like to make is look deeper at the numbers. I mean that he has always taken over teams that were in trouble and turned them around so that makes his record a little decieving. He doesnt come in after one year, go to the dome and then every subsoquent season drop of a little.
He has a track record of turning programs around and making them better. He does this over the course of time and has done it every where he has been. He gets programs headed in the right direction and that is the exciting part.
I'm not saying there will or will not be a dramatic turn around this season but based on the facts I can say that he appears to be the right person over the LONG haul or atleast I hope so.
I just hope people will give him a chance before bashing him here.

#20 Captain Rhett Butler

Captain Rhett Butler

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 08:26 AM

LOL, good one. One point I would like to make is look deeper at the numbers. I mean that he has always taken over teams that were in trouble and turned them around so that makes his record a little decieving. He doesnt come in after one year, go to the dome and then every subsoquent season drop of a little.
He has a track record of turning programs around and making them better. He does this over the course of time and has done it every where he has been. He gets programs headed in the right direction and that is the exciting part.
I'm not saying there will or will not be a dramatic turn around this season but based on the facts I can say that he appears to be the right person over the LONG haul or atleast I hope so.

Brent makes a good point. Getting a program turned around and pointed in the right direction can take time.
I've always thought a good lashing with a buggy whip would benefit you immensely.
(Rhett Butler speaking to Miss Scarlett)

#21 methyl1

methyl1

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 01:05 PM

One things for sure. He's gotta be an improvement.
It times of universa deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
George Orwell

#22 Cuteyellowbug

Cuteyellowbug

Textually Active

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,422 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 02:54 PM

<snicker>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics