Paulding.com

Stout wins with 59.9% of vote in 19th District Special Election Results

For one, no one knew until Feb. 14th when it was presented in the comment section of a news article I posted. I didn't even know of this issue as well.

And second, as Tom Crawford told me, I did better pre-coverage of the 19th District election than the mainstream news. Since I don't have reporters, cameras and all of that, the mainstream is the one who didn't get it out there although I am sure they knew about it. However, the news was also on another Paulding County website nearly the same day as the comments were posted.

Whoever spilled the beans is unknown at this time as they are anonymous. So it was out there to some extent.

I think it's inaccurate to say "no one" knew until 2/14. It obviously wasn't general knowledge, and there isn't any way to know for sure how many in the Stout campaign even knew about it. Considering the circumstances of this special election, if Mr. Stout had political goals, perhaps the community would have been better served if he had chosen to serve more locally prior to entering a race with statewide impact. This would have given the voters the opportunity to get to know him, see how he would serve the community and then make a decision. Instead I think he has put the community in a position that it will be difficult to recover and that is the part that will be more difficult to forgive.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It reinforces the fact to the rest of the state that, in Paulding County, many important elections will continue to be won by those who can out-Conservative and out-Christian the opposition, no matter

Nope. We arm them to protect us all from those people who carry the firearms.

This has got to be the biggest "journalistic joke" I have ever seen Pubby (that is my humble opinion and I am sticking to it).   By the way, is it just my imagination or has THIS site been pretty

Not enough to change the results I'm afraid. Looks like your guy won.

sad.gif

Instead of Paulding county being "embarrassed" by these results,

let's just show the world that we are forgiving of the irresponsible acts of a 19 year old boy.

Since that time he has (from what I gather) made apologies and restitution to those hurt by his immaturity. None of his exploits happened while he was in public office. He has shown himself to be a fine fellow in the way that he has tried to correct a past wrong. In fact it looks as if this was the

reason he began to re-examine his life. Some still need to.

How many of us would like the exploits of our adolescence

opened to the scrutiny of the press? The words "don't throw stones" and "ivory castle" come to mind.

What happened to forgiveness and redemption?

Paulding has an opportunity to set the example.

Let's "walk the walk" and not just "talk the talk".

I think it's inaccurate to say "no one" knew until 2/14. It obviously wasn't general knowledge, and there isn't any way to know for sure how many in the Stout campaign even knew about it. Considering the circumstances of this special election, if Mr. Stout had political goals, perhaps the community would have been better served if he had chosen to serve more locally prior to entering a race with statewide impact. This would have given the voters the opportunity to get to know him, see how he would serve the community and then make a decision. Instead I think he has put the community in a position that it will be difficult to recover and that is the part that will be more difficult to forgive.

I'm referring to the general population and certainly, I didn't know either.

Daniel Stout sent me this statement after his election:

I’m thankful to the voters of the 19th district for giving me the opportunity to represent the home I love in the Georgia House of Representatives. I’m looking forward to working with respected men such as Representative Howard Maxwell, Senator Bill Heath, Commission Chairman Austin, and our other elected officials to bring to a realization the bright future of Paulding County.

We’re in tough times right now. We need to bring jobs to this county. We need to improve our transportation infrastructure. I will work hard to make sure every cent we pay in taxes is reinvested into our area. I am ready to go to work.

The citizens of Paulding County have said they are ready for principled representation that will put the needs of our area first.

It also appears on the original story that is the OP in this topic.

pubby

Ok. Hebrews 8:12 "and I will remember their sins no more."

I agree.

Jesus also said to the adulterous woman "Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more."

Unless Mr. Stout persisted in this behavior in his later years

I don't see the relevance in re-hashing it.

By the way as we are so busy trying to trash the reputation

of Mr. Stout, who was 19 at the time, is the mother-in-law not also culpable? Why is her name not included in the story?

The fact that she is not running for office now should not make any difference. If we are so intent on re-hashing this story let's produce the full cast of characters.

Why is the name of "Mrs. Robinson" not on our lips as well?

:drinks:

Party like it's 1776

I agree.

Jesus also said to the adulterous woman "Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more."

of Mr. Stout, who was 19 at the time, is the mother-in-law not also culpable? Why is her name not included in the story?

The fact that she is not running for office now should not make any difference. If we are so intent on re-hashing this story let's produce the full cast of characters.

drinks.gif

Party like it's 1776

Pubby already played that song for us. I did have a favorite line in that. It was in another thread!

Party like it's 1776

Re-posting, just for you.

I agree.

drinks.gif

Party like it's 1776

Stout was the candidate not the MIL or Mrs. Robinson.

Here it is straight from Mrs. Robinson:

Sitting on a sofa on a Sunday afternoon

Going to the candidates debate

Laugh about it, shout about it

When you've got to choose

Ev'ry way you look at it, you lose

Thanks again Pubby!

You nailed it Madea!drinks.gif

Thank you Madea for the re-post

"Instead I think he has put the community in a position that it will be difficult to recover and that is the part that will be more difficult to forgive."

That is one way of looking at the situation,

I prefer to see it as an opportunity to show the state what

our county truly believes.

Once again, he was 19, this is not a pattern.

He has made amends to those involved. He was not in office.

I WILL NOT THROW STONES

and I would hope that our community would not either. He may very well prove to be a source of pride for our county this time next year. Whoever would have believed that Saul could become Paul?

This "story" was released for purely political reasons

just before the election. Do we know what the other politicians were doing when they were 19?

I find that deplorable.

Party like it's 1776

It reinforces the fact to the rest of the state that, in Paulding County, many important elections will continue to be won by those who can out-Conservative and out-Christian the opposition, no matter the office.

One of these days there will be a race for dog-catcher and the guy who everyone knows is the best damn dog-catcher in the county, who was born with an incredible God-given dog-catching talent, will be defeated by some guy in a suit who says he will use the power of his position to outlaw aboortzion and deport illegal immigrants.

• Like 3

Thank you Madea for the re-post

"Instead I think he has put the community in a position that it will be difficult to recover and that is the part that will be more difficult to forgive."

That is one way of looking at the situation,

I prefer to see it as an opportunity to show the state what

our county truly believes.

Once again, he was 19, this is not a pattern.

He has made amends to those involved. He was not in office.

I WILL NOT THROW STONES

and I would hope that our community would not either. He may very well prove to be a source of pride for our county this time next year. Whoever would have believed that Saul could become Paul?

This "story" was released for purely political reasons

just before the election. Do we know what the other politicians were doing when they were 19?

I find that deplorable.

drinks.gif

Party like it's 1776

We each see it in our own way and you are entitled to your opinion. I really think this is a moot point as he has been elected! I expect it to come up again in the Primary and it will be up for discussion again then. I am sick of the subject at this point.

It reinforces the fact to the rest of the state that, in Paulding County, many important elections will continue to be won by those who can out-Conservative and out-Christian the opposition, no matter the office.

One of these days there will be a race for dog-catcher and the guy who everyone knows is the best damn dog-catcher in the county, who was born with an incredible God-given dog-catching talent, will be defeated by some guy in a suit who says he will use the power of his position to outlaw aboortzion and deport illegal immigrants.

I pray that you are not correct!

Interesting comment Pat about early voters wishing they could change their votes.

I wonder if this would make people leery of using early voting in the future? I doubt it will for me.

On the topic of early voting, one interesting affect of it seems to be to reduce the effectiveness of political opponents trying to drop "dirty laundry" type stories a few days before an election. They now have to make a choice: Do they drop the story before early voting starts and give the opponent time to respond or do they wait until just before election day and lose the chance to change the minds of those who early vote? Also, an early release of the story would also give time for people to trace the story back to another candidate or their supporters to identify the source of the negative campaign, which many people dislike and could also affect votes.

It seems to me that having a heavier turnout during a longer voting period may turn out to be a good idea to help save our system from negative campaigning.

Thoughts? Will this campaign affect your use of early voting?

I've done early voting but it would be late into the campaign. There really is little difference between it and casting an absentee ballot which is traditionally the way that those who may have a conflict such as being out of town or deployed elsewhere could exercise their franchise to vote.

I personally detest negative campaigning and typically reject the emotional fear they generate. All to often the negative campaign is based on lies rather than truth. The most memorable here was the direct mail piece that successful Sen. Bill Heath ran against Mason Rountree. In it Heath suggests that Rountree was going to open XXX clubs in Dallas, Cartersville, Rockmart and Bremen ... which was ludicrous.

But here was a guy, a CHRISTIAN man that wears it on his forehead saying this claptrap and there were enough folks to believe him that it turned a close election in the two-weeks prior. The direct mail card, btw, would have been delivered in the midst of, or before early voting.

What really is needed is a much more vigorous discussion of the candidates and also the nature of their office.

pubby

I've done early voting but it would be late into the campaign. There really is little difference between it and casting an absentee ballot which is traditionally the way that those who may have a conflict such as being out of town or deployed elsewhere could exercise their franchise to vote.

I personally detest negative campaigning and typically reject the emotional fear they generate. All to often the negative campaign is based on lies rather than truth. The most memorable here was the direct mail piece that successful Sen. Bill Heath ran against Mason Rountree. In it Heath suggests that Rountree was going to open XXX clubs in Dallas, Cartersville, Rockmart and Bremen ... which was ludicrous.

But here was a guy, a CHRISTIAN man that wears it on his forehead saying this claptrap and there were enough folks to believe him that it turned a close election in the two-weeks prior. The direct mail card, btw, would have been delivered in the midst of, or before early voting.

What really is needed is a much more vigorous discussion of the candidates and also the nature of their office.

pubby

I so agree with you about this.

Don't forget hanging the ten commandments in the Courthouse.

I wish Mr. Stout the best, and I really hope that he is the exception to the rule that says that the more an individual tries to impress you with their holiness, instead of their ability, the more they are trying to hide. He has a few weeks to prove that wrong.

Believe it or not, I am also troubled by this perception.

Just for clarification -- in this election, "we" didn't run anyone. The party neither presented nor supported any candidate. Candidates presented themselves and declared affiliation with a party, but that is a different thing from a party "running" a candidate!

Just for clarification -- in this election, "we" didn't run anyone. The party neither presented nor supported any candidate. Candidates presented themselves and declared affiliation with a party, but that is a different thing from a party "running" a candidate!

Do you really think that the media or any Democrat opposition will make that distinction?

WSB gives a great look at Paulding as well. The headline reads, "Man Who Cheated With Mom-In-Law Elected". The comments section, well, I will let you read those.

http://www.wsbtv.com...327/detail.html

that is similar to the article I am referring to - just trying to point out trailer park type antics of the redneck stepchild of metro atlanta

No, I don't think the media will be inclined to notice the difference.

But to my knowledge, the party did not endorse a candidate in the race. Anybody with a pen could sign up and write "R" next to his or her name.

What private individuals did on their own initiative... sure. Some of them are involved in the party. But I didn't think any of them carried the entire endorsement of the party in their individual endorsement.

Of course, there's no reason for anyone hostile to Republicans to notice that detail -- I totally agree.

Any way you look at this, it is a nightmare. I blame Daniel Stout!

I blame 19-year-old Daniel Stout for most of this. Present-day Daniel Stout takes part of the blame.

Present-day Daniel Stout is not the candidate I wanted to see even without the scandal.

That said, I don't think the incident from back then is to be set entirely at his feet.

JMT

I blame 19-year-old Daniel Stout for most of this. Present-day Daniel Stout takes part of the blame.

Present-day Daniel Stout is not the candidate I wanted to see even without the scandal.

That said, I don't think the incident from back then is to be set entirely at his feet.

JMT

Well it either is or it isn't. Blame can't be placed half way. This whole story makes me want to cringe...

right -the devil made him do it or was it a cougar?

I'm certainly not defending his action... or the MIL's actions, either. I'm just saying that it's a lot different to think about a 19-year-old making a dumb sexual choice when presented with the opportunity than if this had happened, say, six months ago. And if it had been a pattern of behavior over time, I think that's different from one stupid mistake as a teenager.

This is not a question of whether the action itself was wrong. Certainly not.

Regardless of what I believe about his teenage adultery, he still did not impress me as a candidate.

What is there to say? What could he possibly say that would make most of the people in this thread feel any better? Beyond what he already said, what is there? "I'm sorry it happened, I've done my best to move on, and even though you didn't vote for me, I'll do the best I can to represent the district's interests the best I can." Heck, we could all write the press release ourselves.

I'm not sure what we could possibly expect him to say. As bad as it was when his and his MIL's sin was first discovered, it must be at least as bad to read all the stonethrowing a decade later knowing that you've honestly made every effort to live a different life since then.

He's certainly not the candidate I would have liked, but neither do I think he is the monstrous hypocrite so many seem determined to portray him as.

I can't imagine what possible benefit he would have from diving into this kind of discussion.

• Like 1

What is there to say? What could he possibly say that would make most of the people in this thread feel any better? Beyond what he already said, what is there? "I'm sorry it happened, I've done my best to move on, and even though you didn't vote for me, I'll do the best I can to represent the district's interests."

I'm not sure what we could possibly expect him to say. As bad as it was when his and his MIL's sin was first discovered, it must be at least as bad to read all the stonethrowing a decade later knowing that you've honestly made every effort to live a different life since then.

He's certainly not the candidate I would have liked, but neither do I think he is the monstrous hypocrite so many seem determined to portray him as.

I can't imagine what possible benefit he would have from diving into this kind of discussion.

You are right JMT. I guess there is nothing left to say other than an apology to the citizens for the embarassement in the media...

You are right JMT. I guess there is nothing left to say other than an apology to the citizens for the embarassement in the media...

I agree... this is just awful media.

I still think he might have had the ability to defuse some of this up front. I still wouldn't have voted for him - on other grounds - but at least this business would be much less "hot."

Here's an interesting question. Let's say the pressure ramps up even more, as we all think it could.

Should the duly elected candidate resign before inauguration, does the office go to the next-highest vote getter? Or since Sibley didn't get 50%, would there then need to be a run-off anyway?

Random question... but if the media pressure intensifies... well, I'm beyond surprises at this point.