Paulding.com

Schools may be prohibited from getting early August start

This ought to be a law?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Should the legislature keep schools from starting instruction in early August?

• Yes
    • No

JSYK... it doesn't exactly work like that. Say Sept 1, receives the most votes, yet the BOE decides (for whatever reason, financial..etc) that Sept 1 is not in the best interest of Paulding county, they look at what was voted on, and then they vote for what they think best.

I would venture to guess, if we did a poll that was private, most teachers would not be showing happy with an August 1 start date. We do not get out until June 5, then post planning then back in July for pre-planning.

I will say it is a done deal and no matter what we or anyone thinks it is happening like this. I will deal with it. Do I love it? No, but sometimes you just deal with what you are dealt.

In this instance the BOE gave 3 options for the calander and put it out there for everyone, parents, teachers, employees, etc to vote on. They wanted the publics opinion. The BOE went with the option that received the most votes

Don't give me "if we had a poll that was private" stuff. The vote for the 3 calanders were annonymous. Teachers just like everyone else had the ability to vote annonymously just like I did!

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I completely agree with this. Starting the first week of August is absurd. Many kids have summer jobs to help pay their way into college, this prevents them from earning three weeks pay. We always

while I agree in theory with Him. I am not sure why he wants to take the decision out of the local school boards. Guess he knows better huh?

I'm for this legislation. The local school boards obviously don't listen to the teachers or parents.

In this instance the BOE gave 3 options for the calander and put it out there for everyone, parents, teachers, employees, etc to vote on. They wanted the publics opinion. The BOE went with the option that received the most votes

Don't give me "if we had a poll that was private" stuff. The vote for the 3 calanders were annonymous. Teachers just like everyone else had the ability to vote annonymously just like I did!

Whoa, chill out. I was talking about a poll here. Why are you so combative in your posts? What I stated was absoultly correct. Now in this instance it might have been the best of three choices that did win, but really you do not know me and are so abrasive in saying "don't give me", ?! Didn't a BOE not vote because they might have listened to some of the objection to the really early date? (I can't exactly remember it has been a while) Either way, I was not quoting or responding to you. Please do not address me like you did.

I try to be nice and polite to other posters on this board, and just pointed out a fact on how things are. Opinions (public) are welcome, but they (BOE) do need to do what they feel best for all.

SOS Lady Raider and her chocolate are needed over here!

It NEVER made sense to me why they chose the current schedule to begin with... :pardon:

They had three options for parents, students and staff to vote (for which calendar they wanted) posted on the BOE website. I will say that it gets very hot on the buses when we start back in August. Luckly most students are only on the bus an average of 20 minutes. Where as the driver is on the bus an average of 3 hours in the afternoon heat. I do not agree with the short summers. I remember getting out the Friday before Memeorial Day and going back after Labor Day. However this must be the vote of the County, because this is what they went with.

The calender further shows lack of foresight and leadership in the county office. It carries from the board office down through the schools.

I have voiced my opinion on some of these issues to a few people at the board office and I heard of no discussion or change.

sounds to me that you would rather the school system raise and teach your kids, instead of yourself.

LOL I don't have any children in the school system, and when I did I was very involved with raising my kids which is why Paulding County School system worked for us, while it appears to have failed others. It's completely about what the parents and students put into it. My children practically had year round school as during the summer break everyday included lessons taught by me at home. Our vacations involved learning experiences and our days at home were full of reading, science experiments, general math and social studies. We spent days trying to figure out the formula for the liquid capacity of our community swimming pool.

Low and behold I am NOT a teacher, just a Mom, and I know my children learn more being taught by competent trained professionals. Seeing how so many children don't have the privileges we were able to provide our children I do not have a problem with year round school with several shorter breaks taken through out the year. I also see advantages for children with separate homes as it could possibly be a little easier for both parents to be more involved in raising their children.

The calender further shows lack of foresight and leadership in the county office. It carries from the board office down through the schools.

I have voiced my opinion on some of these issues to a few people at the board office and I heard of no discussion or change.

that is a very bold statement! Care to share with us why you seem to think this? I know many of the people in leadership roles at the county office and they are all very good leaders and very good at what they do.

I have to agree. My personal preference would be for a different approach to the school calendar. I'm not a big fan of these early August starts and all the weeks off.

That said, I am reticent to suggest that such a preference should be written into law. I think it is a risky move to put a law in place that makes it impossible to accommodate circumstances that might make an early-start calendar the very best solution... except that it would be illegal. What circumstances are those? I don't know, but stuff happens. And the same stuff doesn't happen in Savannah that happens in Dallas that happens in Valdosta that happens in Commerce.

I am open to hearing the arguments... but my initial take is... go to your school board meetings and argue your case there instead of in Atlanta.

Amen - vote the local board out if you don't like their decisions. That said - I don't use the government schools and would like my tax dollars back please :)

Amen - vote the local board out if you don't like their decisions. That said - I don't use the government schools and would like my tax dollars back please :)

Easy to say. I can't single handedly vote out the board. There's one that I could see keeping but if there were an all new panel, maybe that would force them to start fresh. Might be the only way. We can get one or two new ones in but I'm here to tell you that the "old guys" really bully and pressure the newcomers. Who would be left to pressure them if they all left?

I have to say that one of the newest members still has a clue and is still connected to her puplic. She's not even in our district but she still gave us a voice. Just hope she can stand the heat for us.

P.S. I think you should get at least some of your school tax money back.

• 2 weeks later...

Boy am I going to catch flack for this one..........

I like the new schedule. And I do NOT want someone in the state legislature telling me what my local school system can & cannot do. Let's keep hometown issues at home.

• Like 1

Whoa, chill out. I was talking about a poll here. Why are you so combative in your posts? What I stated was absoultly correct. Now in this instance it might have been the best of three choices that did win, but really you do not know me and are so abrasive in saying "don't give me", ?! Didn't a BOE not vote because they might have listened to some of the objection to the really early date? (I can't exactly remember it has been a while) Either way, I was not quoting or responding to you. Please do not address me like you did.

I try to be nice and polite to other posters on this board, and just pointed out a fact on how things are. Opinions (public) are welcome, but they (BOE) do need to do what they feel best for all.

SOS Lady Raider and her chocolate are needed over here!

here you go: 17834768_5ef5d87cfb.jpg :rofl: :rofl:

They had three options for parents, students and staff to vote (for which calendar they wanted) posted on the BOE website. I will say that it gets very hot on the buses when we start back in August. Luckly most students are only on the bus an average of 20 minutes. Where as the driver is on the bus an average of 3 hours in the afternoon heat. I do not agree with the short summers. I remember getting out the Friday before Memeorial Day and going back after Labor Day. However this must be the vote of the County, because this is what they went with.

I was told that they let us vote but they already knew what calander they were going with. I guess we have to feel like we have some say even though we really don't.Some teachers said that we were now considered year round starting so early in aug. and having lots of breaks. They also said that there are some regulations that the school system does not have to follow if we are year round. I have no idea if that is a good or a bad thing. Anyone know what these regulations that we won't have to follow are?

And a bunch of drunken legislators don't have great decision abilities, do they?

very sad but also very funny comment...

I was told that they let us vote but they already knew what calander they were going with. I guess we have to feel like we have some say even though we really don't.Some teachers said that we were now considered year round starting so early in aug. and having lots of breaks. They also said that there are some regulations that the school system does not have to follow if we are year round. I have no idea if that is a good or a bad thing. Anyone know what these regulations that we won't have to follow are?

Who told you that? Somebody who would honestly and truly know, first hand? Or somebody who heard it from somebody?

I still and will always think that we should go further into June. And then start in late August since this is GEORGIA and AUGUST is our hottest month and it would take more money to keep the schools cooler, and I'm obviously no expert, but I just feel that school buses use more fuel in hotter weather. 8)

• 2 weeks later...

But we did not have SIX weeks off during the school year. Why do we need all these days off? I don't think so.

They have to accomodate everybodys vacation time, back then everybody planned their vacation around the school calendar.

I asked to see the votes, but did I get to see them, no. I don't believe the parents and students voted for this one.