Paulding.com

Should police and firemen be exempt from paying state income taxes?

Should police and fire officials be given special status  

119 members have voted

1. 1. For instance, should they be able to avoid paying state income tax on their public salaries?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If yes, should all public employees, including politicians, be granted such an exemption?

• Yes, all public employees should be exempt
    • No, just public safety employees should be exempt
    • No, they should not be exempt

I understand non-government workers' opinion that if they have to pay - everyone has to pay. But, the fact is that we have such a circular system of taxing someone - paying them with the same tax dollars and then recollecting those tax dollars again so that we can pay them again. Money laundrying at its best.

We could eleminate a bulk of the revenue office if we eleminated the need to process the taxes paid (before the paycheck is cut) as well as during annual tax time. It would actually save us all alot of tax dollars (not that I think we'd see them in our pockets).

It's not a crazy idea. But, it would lead to alot of other complications on the hiring end.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pubby you are twisting the facts on how the fair tax works with the " adding 25% " comment. go back and re-read the fair tax book again, slowly, and comprehend it.

I wonder if the reactions would be different if he were calling for a minimal pay raise for them? Many of these departments have gone a number of years without pay raises because the money isn't ther

A lot of these women should THINK before sleeping around. Use birthcontrol and NOT have kids until they can support them.

With retail sales in the crapper, if we had a fair tax now, about half the cops wouldn't have any income as they'd have been laid off.

Progressive income and property taxes, although both down in the recession, have not taken the hit of sales taxes.

In a sense, the government is just like a business in that it is at extreme risk when it counts on only one client for its revenue.

The idea of the mis-named 'fair tax' is, on many levels horrid and the only reason anyone I can imagine wanting it now is because of it promises to reimburse (to the tune of $400-800/mo) those without much income the tax they are presumed to pay. (Of course that figure - say $400 - would suggest that the household basics at a 22 percent 'fair tax' rate would represent spending of $1800 -$3,600/mo just for food, clothing and utilities.)

I've said it once and I'll say it again and again - the fair tax is a bad idea.

pubby

With retail sales in the crapper, if we had a fair tax now, about half the cops wouldn't have any income as they'd have been laid off.

Progressive income and property taxes, although both down in the recession, have not taken the hit of sales taxes.

In a sense, the government is just like a business in that it is at extreme risk when it counts on only one client for its revenue.

The idea of the mis-named 'fair tax' is, on many levels horrid and the only reason anyone I can imagine wanting it now is because of it promises to reimburse (to the tune of $400-800/mo) those without much income the tax they are presumed to pay. (Of course that figure - say $400 - would suggest that the household basics at a 22 percent 'fair tax' rate would represent spending of $1800 -$3,600/mo just for food, clothing and utilities.)

pubby

Well, I can't say that a lot of people think that what we have now is working well for us/them. This whole 'no tax for public safety employees' may just a trojan horse to get the foot in the door for eliminating the income tax in Georgia. Just where do you draw the line at public safety work- 911 dispatchers? EMTs? ER personnel? people in public health? It isn't a very far reach to go to teachers and other public servants, where your poll ultimately guides us. With that many folks off the hook, where does the tax money come from? Either the rest of us have to pick up the tab or we just scrap the income tax altogether and go with something else once enough people get a pass and the rest of are ready to storm the capitol. I think our former house speaker was trying to go in that direction, only in a more overt manner.

As to the matter of how underpaid our police and fire folks are, I'd say that really depends on which city or county they work in, or, if state employees- what their pay rates really are. I've been quite surprised at how much some make, in a similar manner to being surprised at how much some teachers make. I know some are very underpaid, but to paint the whole lot with that broad of a financial brush is an inaccurate representation to begin with.

first of all, I am not for anyone paying an "income tax". BUT, by tax code definition, an employee is defined by anyone that works for the government. The code goes on to say that only employees should pay income taxes. Therefore, by their own admission, it is against their code to tax anyone that IS NOT a gov't employee for income tax. I remember watching something on a show like 60 minutes about this and a small business owner actually used this code against the IRS and won. He or his 6 or 7 workers did not pay income tax. Again, I don't think any of us should pay this income tax. I support a Fair Tax

I too support Fair Tax, Pubby you forget to mention when those that can afford it by their Jaguars, Mercedes, Boats, those perks they always buy, sometimes a couple of year, would be taxed at the same rate as those buying groceries. Fair Tax is just that. While most people don't spend $3,600 a month in groceries, those that have money to burn spend on many other things. :)

pubby

My new hero on Pcom!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I too support Fair Tax, Pubby you forget to mention when those that can afford it by their Jaguars, Mercedes, Boats, those perks they always buy, sometimes a couple of year, would be taxed at the same rate as those buying groceries. Fair Tax is just that. While most people don't spend $3,600 a month in groceries, those that have money to burn spend on many other things. :)

I understand but what I also understand is that with 60 percent of the income in the hands of the top one-percent of the population, it wouldn't take much of a 'boycott' to bring the goverment - federal, state or local - to a grinding halt.

Yep, the very wealthy - the one's who have a dozen cars in their garage and buy a new one every month or two - can quickly by deciding not to buy their shiny new Jag or the humpteeth diamond for their wife and, lord forbid, opt to eat out at McDonald's instead of the four seasons and tax receipts plummet.

Naturegirl, when you realize that - especially for the wealthy because they already have a couch, a house, a car, a bed and hot tub and pool, 399 pairs of shoes, 200 pair of new underware. etc. and they don't really need to buy another doggone thing - the sales tax is an optional tax you'll understand how foolish it is from a policy standpoint to rely upon it. And it is especially foolish to rely upon it when it is a 25 percent add-on to everything you buy.

(Consider the latest MB v8 convertible which now costs $100,000 a copy, would come with a tax bill of $25,000 and it wouldn't take long to put even a wealthy man in the naysaying mood.)

Again, bad idea.

pubby

The "luxury tax" didn't stop them from spending their money, Pat. And if you honestly believe any significant percentage of that population would suddenly start eating at McDonalds, you're only kidding yourself. I get your point but it isn't a very realistic one.

I pay GA income taxes and live on a submarine, go figure.

Well, that is what happens when you join the military in GA..They (POLITICANS) don't care about our servicemen...Give us all your TAXES..Pay your taxes while you serve and pay your taxes on that 20 year PENSION :angry2:

I've said it once and I'll say it again and again - the fair tax is a bad idea.pubby

IT IS NOT A BAD IDEA...........Well it is for the left leaning people like yourself...

Pubby you are twisting the facts on how the fair tax works with the " adding 25% " comment. go back and re-read the fair tax book again, slowly, and comprehend it.

I support the fair tax. Liberals support taxing everyone so the money can be redistributed.

I support the fair tax. Liberals support taxing everyone so the money can be redistributed.

:clapping:

i swear honey, one of these days we're gonna shock the sh*t outta pcom and run off together. :o

No, soldiers from Georgia that have Georgia as their home of record are not exempt from state taxes even when they haven't lived in Georgia for years. How about doubling the state tax on the govenor, state reps, senators and congressmen. It might not be that much money in the scheme of things but it would make me feel better.

No, soldiers from Georgia that have Georgia as their home of record are not exempt from state taxes even when they haven't lived in Georgia for years. How about doubling the state tax on the govenor, state reps, senators and congressmen. It might not be that much money in the scheme of things but it would make me feel better.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

No, while they do a great service, it's a Pandora's box. It's kinda like the property tax exemptions we have now. Huge hunks of private property either are not taxed or pay a reduced rate of property tax and more get added by amendment every year. Sure it sounds good, but remember the money has to come from somewhere, that means you and me that don't have an exemption.

Come to think of it, dang, if they revoked all those special exceptions we have now, I wonder if *that* would balance the budget? topic>

Anyway, adding income tax exemptions in our current situation would just add to our financial mess and we'd all pay for it in either increased taxes or fewer services. Everybody with a government job, would want the exemption. Then you'd have people that work on contract to the government wanting the exemption. We need *fewer* people on the government payrolls, not a reason for more to fight to be on them.

The idiots under the gold dome are supposed to be trying to find a way to balance the budget, not make it worse.

SG

My thoughts exactly. I wanted to get into law enforcement when I was around 30. My wife wasn't fond of the idea (kinda' funny considering I'm a piano player in a bar! :lol:) Excuse me, as I digressed. Point being, I wanted to do that because I wanted to do that...serve my community and clear out the bad folks. I would have never considered being tax exempt, because law enforcement and fireman, while very essential in our society are no more "better" than the guy who pumps the poop out of your septic tank, or the guy who goes around cleaning up parks, or the teacher who teaches our kids. We're all here to do what we are here to do, and special perks....well, they simply appall me! No matter what you do for a living....Lest we fall into a spiral of deeming who is more important than who. It's a deep subject with me.

No matter what we do, be it keeping the peace or cleaning the toilets...we are ALL needed to make civilization work. JMO. :pardon:

Right on Mark!

I have not delved into the "Fair Tax" thing all that much. But my consensus remains the same....make it simple by using only SALES TAX. Then people off the radar, dope dealers, and anyone else who skirts the system will be paying into the system every time they buy something.

pubby

I've asked the question about what happens in a bad economy, when the sales tax fails to take in enough revenue. No Fair Tax advocate has answered this question.

• 2 weeks later...

So the rest of us do dishonorable work I guess? I have no problem giving these folks a raise, but I do not think it is fair to exempt anyone from our crazy tax system. We all need to suffer together.

I agree. I work hard too. I think they need to be paid handsomly for their work, but it needs to stop there.

Something no one here seams to understand is that the salaries paid to public safety IS tax funds. YOUR TAX FUNDS! So you want to tax the tax money used to pay public safety?

And someone said they would support a pay raise? So we can pay more tax money in order to collect more tax money? No one see's the problem here?

Drop the income tax and you effectively give public safety a greatly deserved pay raise with out spending any more tax money!

And I bet everyone wants government agencies pay auto taxes also?

Man you even have the "Winchester" logo you should be able to think this through. If they keep the money intended for taxes that means more money has come out of the tax pool, and less will go back in. When there is not enough to cover what government spends then it raises taxes on all who pay them. And if you do not think government employee's already think they are above everyone else, just remind an officer you see that taxes you pay helps to pay his/her salery. We need the Fair Tax, then all your drug dealers, prostitutes, and criminals will pay their fair share every time they buy something.

I am also a supporter of the fair tax...BUT, Do public service officials not have houses that could burn down? Or robbed? Do they not travel on public roads?

I do understand the circular pay/tax earlier illustrated (quite well I might add), but I have to say that

20% of $100 = $20 in taxes. We then go and increase the pay rate of the service person by that $20. Now that same person is make $120 is paying $24 in taxes, though we only gave up $20 in increase. The govt is making $4 more, and the public official is going for $80 to $96.

Right?

• 2 weeks later...

Something no one here seams to understand is that the salaries paid to public safety IS tax funds. YOUR TAX FUNDS! So you want to tax the tax money used to pay public safety?

And someone said they would support a pay raise? So we can pay more tax money in order to collect more tax money? No one see's the problem here?

Drop the income tax and you effectively give public safety a greatly deserved pay raise with out spending any more tax money!

And I bet everyone wants government agencies pay auto taxes also?

Absolutely! Everybody pays income tax..(Using your logic, the tax they pay is returned to the tax coffers from whence in came, thereby reducing what the rest of us have to offer up.)