Paulding.com

Should police and firemen be exempt from paying state income taxes?

Should police and fire officials be given special status  

119 members have voted

1. 1. For instance, should they be able to avoid paying state income tax on their public salaries?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If yes, should all public employees, including politicians, be granted such an exemption?

• Yes, all public employees should be exempt
    • No, just public safety employees should be exempt
    • No, they should not be exempt

Rep. Franklin Introduces Legislation to Provide Tax Cut for Public Safety Officers

ATLANTA — Today State Representative Bobby Franklin (R-Marietta) announces his filing of House Bill 1180, designed to eliminate state income taxes on the salary received by full-time and part-time public safety officers.

“Public safety officers deserve our upmost respect and appreciation for their honorable work,” said Representative Bobby Franklin. “House Bill 1180 is just a way that we can reward those who are so valuable to our safety and security.”

Franklin introduced the bill on Thursday, February 11, 2010. Other sponsors of the bill include Jill Chambers (R-Atlanta), Burke Day (R-Tybee Island), and Barry Loudermilk (R-Cassville). A link to the bill can be found by clicking here.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pubby you are twisting the facts on how the fair tax works with the " adding 25% " comment. go back and re-read the fair tax book again, slowly, and comprehend it.

I wonder if the reactions would be different if he were calling for a minimal pay raise for them? Many of these departments have gone a number of years without pay raises because the money isn't ther

A lot of these women should THINK before sleeping around. Use birthcontrol and NOT have kids until they can support them.

Rep. Franklin Introduces Legislation to Provide Tax Cut for Public Safety Officers

ATLANTA — Today State Representative Bobby Franklin (R-Marietta) announces his filing of House Bill 1180, designed to eliminate state income taxes on the salary received by full-time and part-time public safety officers.

"Public safety officers deserve our upmost respect and appreciation for their honorable work," said Representative Bobby Franklin. "House Bill 1180 is just a way that we can reward those who are so valuable to our safety and security."

Franklin introduced the bill on Thursday, February 11, 2010. Other sponsors of the bill include Jill Chambers (R-Atlanta), Burke Day (R-Tybee Island), and Barry Loudermilk (R-Cassville). A link to the bill can be found by clicking here.

When would it stop? Teachers.................................Get the idea?

No, while they do a great service, it's a Pandora's box. It's kinda like the property tax exemptions we have now. Huge hunks of private property either are not taxed or pay a reduced rate of property tax and more get added by amendment every year. Sure it sounds good, but remember the money has to come from somewhere, that means you and me that don't have an exemption.

<off topic> Come to think of it, dang, if they revoked all those special exceptions we have now, I wonder if *that* would balance the budget? </off topic>

Anyway, adding income tax exemptions in our current situation would just add to our financial mess and we'd all pay for it in either increased taxes or fewer services. Everybody with a government job, would want the exemption. Then you'd have people that work on contract to the government wanting the exemption. We need *fewer* people on the government payrolls, not a reason for more to fight to be on them.

<sigh> The idiots under the gold dome are supposed to be trying to find a way to balance the budget, not make it worse.

SG

"Public safety officers deserve our upmost respect and appreciation for their honorable work," said Representative Bobby Franklin. "House Bill 1180 is just a way that we can reward those who are so valuable to our safety and security."

So the rest of us do dishonorable work I guess? I have no problem giving these folks a raise, but I do not think it is fair to exempt anyone from our crazy tax system. We all need to suffer together.

Something no one here seams to understand is that the salaries paid to public safety IS tax funds. YOUR TAX FUNDS! So you want to tax the tax money used to pay public safety?

And someone said they would support a pay raise? So we can pay more tax money in order to collect more tax money? No one see's the problem here?

Drop the income tax and you effectively give public safety a greatly deserved pay raise with out spending any more tax money!

And I bet everyone wants government agencies pay auto taxes also?

“Public safety officers deserve our upmost respect and appreciation for their honorable work,” said Representative Bobby Franklin. “House Bill 1180 is just a way that we can reward those who are so valuable to our safety and security.”

I believe that there are more "Public Safety Officers" than just firemen and Police.

I would like to propose an automatic salary of no less than $25,000 enacted for women with children who are abandoned by the father of said children. "Abandoned" meaning "not living with the children".

What about the women who do the same thing?Ever hear of "Single Fathers"?

I would like to propose an automatic salary of no less than $25,000 enacted for women with children who are abandoned by the father of said children. "Abandoned" meaning "not living with the children".

And where would this 25k per year come from? Taxpayer money? HELLLLSno

Unless I missed something, I’d say this is slightly off topic.

A lot of these women should THINK before sleeping around. Use birthcontrol and NOT have kids until they can support them.

• Like 2

Something no one here seams to understand is that the salaries paid to public safety IS tax funds. YOUR TAX FUNDS! So you want to tax the tax money used to pay public safety?

And someone said they would support a pay raise? So we can pay more tax money in order to collect more tax money? No one see's the problem here?

Drop the income tax and you effectively give public safety a greatly deserved pay raise with out spending any more tax money!

And I bet everyone wants government agencies pay auto taxes also?

That really is a great point. Thanks for making me think...

Okay, let's exempt all government employees since, on average, they make less than their counterparts do in the private sector. We should also exempt those that perform a public service like working with the indigent and religious leaders. I think that fast food workers and convenience store workers should also be exempt. And last, I think any small business owner should be exempt since most of them provide jobs for others. My point is that this is a road that I do not think it is wise to go down. If it is good enough for firemen and policemen and I think it is good enough for others.

Well hell. I hope you're retired and you just get to hang and do whatever the hell you want to all day long. Am I close?

Not even, I put in 40 hrs M-F at the Sheriff's dept and I co-manage the local airport so I stay purrrrrty bzy.But I DO make time for "social" .

I wonder if the reactions would be different if he were calling for a minimal pay raise for them? Many of these departments have gone a number of years without pay raises because the money isn't there. Many departments haven't even gotten a basic cost of living raise in years. This is the cheapest way for the State to help these agencies do a little something for these folks who have gone without those small raises that so many others in the working world take for granted.

I'm not sure that I think now is the time considering the financial issues ahead of the state but I also don't think the idea is that far out there. We're talking about something that basically works out to be less than $1/hr, in many cases, a good bit less.

I wonder about a compromise where the state still collects taxes from these folks and so has the use of the funds through the year and then provides a total refund come tax time. The state gets a free loan, so to speak, and the folks this is proposed for get their money back in what could be looked at as an annual bonus.

• Like 1