Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
K96W8

What is the fine and/or penalty for Breaking Driving Rules

Under the graduated driving laws a new driver cannot drive with anyone in the car under 21--other than immediate family for the first 6 months. Looking online it looks like the penalty is 3 points on their license. Can someone who knows tell me for sure? My kid has friends whose parents let them drive and ride with people who have not had their license long enough. I do not and will not let him do either--but I would like to know.

What the state has to say about it would not really matter to me. If the law says NO and I found out my child did it then they would NOT have a license because I would take it from them. I also always told my kids I could care less what other parents allowed their kids to do because my child lives with me and not them so it is MY rules they have to worry about.

• Like 1

I am not sure about the exact "law" punishment, but in our house, my son found out what exact dad "law" punishment it was. :rofl: 3 weeks grounded for the first time and the second time results in a 6 month suspension from his truck. ;) I reminded him that my law is the law until he can support himself. :p

I am not sure about the exact "law" punishment, but in our house, my son found out what exact dad "law" punishment it was. :rofl: 3 weeks grounded for the first time and the second time results in a 6 month suspension from his truck. ;) I reminded him that my law is the law until he can support himself. :p

I bet he won't take a chance for the 6 months--that is a LONG time! I don't think mine is doing this--but he doesn't think it's a big deal and thinks I'm crazy for enforcing it.

I can't believe with so many in law enforcement on here someone hasn't given the answer. I'm not going to let him do it--I'm just curious.

No points....just an extra fine and probably an impounded car.

If they get caught there are no warnings per state law. The officer is required to write the citation for the initial infraction along with the citation for the license conditions. A class D license will be suspended if they accumulate 4 points so any moving violation will put them on the edge or even suspend their license.

No points....just an extra fine and probably an impounded car.

If they get caught there are no warnings per state law. The officer is required to write the citation for the initial infraction along with the citation for the license conditions. A class D license will be suspended if they accumulate 4 points so any moving violation will put them on the edge or even suspend their license.

Thank you so much for answering.

I'm trying to understand this.

You are saying, when you son got his license but under the age of 18, he can't drive with anyone in his car except for family members for 6 months? If he does, then he can get a citation, and/or loss of license but no points?

I'm trying to understand this.

You are saying, when you son got his license but under the age of 18, he can't drive with anyone in his car except for family members for 6 months? If he does, then he can get a citation, and/or loss of license but no points?

I think what UgaDawgs98 was saying is you get points for the offense you're stopped for and any moving violation is 3 points. They don't add extra points for breaking the rule--but add an extra fine and probably impound your car. You will lose your license with 4 points if you're under 18--so any other offense would cost your license.

The driving rules:

STEP TWO - INTERMEDIATE LICENSE (Class D) The license is granted to drivers between 16 and 18 years of age who have held an Instructional Permit for 12 months and passed a driving test. The Intermediate License has the following restrictions:

No driving between the hours of 12 a.m. and 6 a.m. No exceptions.

Passenger restrictions:

For the initial six-month period immediately following the issuance of a Class D license, any Class D license holder shall not drive a motor vehicle upon the public roads, streets or highways of this state when any other passenger in the vehicle is not a member of the driver's immediate family.

During the second six-month period immediately following issuance of a Class D license, any Class D license holder shall not drive a motor vehicle upon the public roads, streets or highways of this state when more than one other passenger in the vehicle (who is not a member of the driver's immediate family) is less than 21 years of age.

After the second six-month period, any Class D license holder shall not drive a motor vehicle upon the public roads, streets or highways of this state when more than three other passengers in the vehicle (who are not members of the driver’s immediate family) are less than 21 years of age.

I think what UgaDawgs98 was saying is you get points for the offense you're stopped for and any moving violation is 3 points. They don't add extra points for breaking the rule--but add an extra fine and probably impound your car. You will lose your license with 4 points if you're under 18--so any other offense would cost your license.

Yes...if they are stopped for speeding and are found to be in violation of the class D license conditions they will receive both citations. The reason is the legislature made it clear there were no exceptions to violating the terms of the class D license, they also made a requirement for the officer to issue a citation for the original reason of the stop.

Since the class D is suspended when 4 points are accumulated any moving violation will put them in danger of suspension, some will suspend it on the first offense.

The driver's license of any person under 21 years of age convicted of any of the following offenses shall be SUSPENDED:

1. Hit and run or leaving the scene of an accident in violation of Code Section 4-6-270.

2. Racing on highways or streets.

3. Using a motor vehicle in fleeing or attempting to elude an officer.

4. Reckless driving.

5. Any offense for which four or more points are assessable under subsection © of Code Section 40-5-57.

*Unlawful passing of a school bus.

*Improper passing on a hill or curve.

*Exceeding the speed limit by 24 miles per hour or more.

6. Purchasing an alcoholic beverage.

7. Driving under the Influence.

8. Aggressive Driving, Code Section 40-6-397. (Item #5)

9. Misrepresenting age for purpose of illegally obtaining any alcoholic beverage (3-3-23 (a) (3)).

10. Misrepresenting identity or using false identification for purpose of purchasing or obtaining any alcoholic beverage (3-3-23 (a) (5) ).

11. The driver's license of any person under 18 years of age who has accumulated a violation point count of four or more points within any 12 month period.

Points are accumulated for:

Reckless Driving 4 points

Unlawful passing school bus 6 points

Improper passing on hill or curve 4 points

Speeding

15 mph but less than 19 mph 2 points

19 mph but less than 24 mph 3 points

24 mph but less than 34 mph 4 points

34 mph or more 6 points

Disobedience of any traffic-control device or traffic officer 3 points

Possessing an open container of an alcoholic beverage while driving 2 points

Failure to adequately secure a load 2 points