Paulding.com

Candidates finalized for House Dist. 19 race

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No, I am not the Judge or Jury (or then, I guess I could be part of the Jury as I am a registered voter) - you never know do you?   And no, Whitey is not under any obligation to answer me. Howev

And there are SOME people who bully others with the threat of lawsuits to get them to shut up and not speak. Which is worse?

"Man up" Whitey and just answer our questions - it really is very simple! You keep trying to distract everyone from the issue at hand and it is not working. Just simply answer the questions.    

I just heard this also. Kim would have made an excellent choice for our Representative.

Come on feelip, Whitey, etc. - here's your chance to show us what "you" can do if you live in that District! :lol:

Maybe Surepip, Feelip, WT, and Whitey can enlist their hero at the White House to help them since BO is doing such a nice job for every homeowner in the country.

• Like 1

There was a last minute filing in this race confirmed by the Secy. of State's office.

It is Joe Brownlee, the GA Power exec and former Chamber Chairman for Paulding.

Joe Brownlee

214 Oak Grove Path

Dallas, GA 30157

Qualifying will end in about 20 minutes so there is a possibility of yet another candidate ... But Joe Brownlee is in the running.

pubby

Thanks Pubby!smile.gif

Maybe Surepip, Feelip, WT, and Whitey can enlist their hero at the White House to help them since BO is doing such a nice job for every homeowner in the country.

Just because I don't play hide the weenie with everyone that claims to be a republican doesn't mean that I think Stimulus Stimey resembles a president in the least. I have no use for PIBO or his politics.

At the same time I think that to date, you guys at the Paulding Republican Party have put yourselves in a bad way by supporting people like Jerry Shearin, Glenn Richardson and a few others. Don't be pissed at me because your party has made dumb ass mistakes.

Personally I think Joe Brownlee is a good choice for a state representative.

• Like 1

Just because I don't play hide the weenie with everyone that claims to be a republican doesn't mean that I think Stimulus Stimey resembles a president in the least. I have no use for PIBO or his politics.

At the same time I think that to date, you guys at the Paulding Republican Party have put yourselves in a bad way by supporting people like Jerry Shearin, Glenn Richardson and a few others. Don't be pissed at me because your party has made dumb ass mistakes.

FYI, I have a family member on the BOE that is NOT KIM & by the way I didnt vote for Glenn, Jerry or Nobama

• Like 1

Really, Clinton made you prosper?? Hey,your prosperity came from a REPUBLICAN revolution of common sense tax and spend principles. When the Republicans took BOTH branches of Congress and forced Clinton to task, then I agree the 90's were a great decade of growth-through tax cuts and spending cuts. Clinton was almost convnced he was a god, Obama has convinced himself of that. There reckless attempts to ramrod health-care and leaning to the left caused the first revolution, and I believe will cause the 2010 one as well!! Now, although I agree the Republicans lost their ways and Congress, but I see a new group ready to take Congress back with those Reagan ideals!

I'll say this. When Clinton was in office I prospered. When your buddy was in office it cost me $6,000 a year.

I think that says it all. ;)

• Like 2

Nothing wrong with Jerry at all.

As far as Glenn, none of us approved of his unethical act but we also didn't throw him off a cliff either.

And being ticked at you? I'm not ticked, I just get tire of whiners who sit and do nothing but complain. <_<

Really, Clinton made you prosper?? Hey,your prosperity came from a REPUBLICAN revolution of common sense tax and spend principles. When the Republicans took BOTH branches of Congress and forced Clinton to task, then I agree the 90's were a great decade of growth-through tax cuts and spending cuts. Clinton was almost convnced he was a god, Obama has convinced himself of that. There reckless attempts to ramrod health-care and leaning to the left caused the first revolution, and I believe will cause the 2010 one as well!! Now, although I agree the Republicans lost their ways and Congress, but I see a new group ready to take Congress back with those Reagan ideals!

I actually agree with most of what you are saying. Except for the part of ANY president making me prosper. I started a business in 1985 that I made prosper through hard work, being dead honest even when it cost me money and making every client feel as though they were the most important client I had.

I made more money during the Clinton years than at any other time. Not that he had any direct bearing on it. My point was that a school board member, in what I believe was an attempt to girder the building industry, was able to cost me nearly $6,000 a year in property tax. No freakin thanks.

Nothing wrong with Jerry at all.

As far as Glenn, none of us approved of his unethical act but we also didn't throw him off a cliff either.

And being ticked at you? I'm not ticked, I just get tire of whiners who sit and do nothing but complain. <_<

:blink: We REALLY need to talk.

• Like 1

My point was that a school board member, in what I believe was an attempt to girder the building industry, was able to cost me nearly $6,000 a year in property tax. No freakin thanks.

Well, it's actually a moot point since Mr. Curl will not be running. :(

However, please keep in mind that it was the VOTERS of this county that voted YES on that tax increase. ;)

• Like 1

However, please keep in mind that it was the VOTERS of this county that voted YES on that tax increase. ;)

I prefer to remember it the way it actually happened. Thanks anyway. ;)

I see it this way too. Good post. We need to work to make that happen.

MADEA Really do not think it is a moot point,Seems that Mr.Curl will have to meet the voters this year if he intends to run again for the school board?

If my memory serves me the School bond was voted down the first time,And was passed the second time around after thousands of special interest campaign $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ was injected into the campaign.

If mr.Curl runs for re election for the school board I fully intend on reminding the voters of all of his votes to raise our taxes, After all incumbents should not mind running on their records RUGHT???????

• Like 1

I prefer to remember it the way it actually happened. Thanks anyway. ;)

You and Whitey can argue about this until you are "blue in the face". The fact remains though, the VOTERS OF PAULDING COUNTY APPROVED THIS SCHOOL BOND - PURE, PLAIN AND SIMPLE! No wrong doing, no twisting of anyone's arm, just simply the voters expressing their approval.

• Like 1

MADEA Really do not think it is a moot point,Seems that Mr.Curl will have to meet the voters this year if he intends to run again for the school board?If my memory serves me the School bond was voted down the first time,And was passed the second time around after thousands of special interest campaign $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ was injected into the campaign.

If mr.Curl runs for re election for the school board I fully intend on reminding the voters of all of his votes to raise our taxes, After all incumbents should not mind running on their records RUGHT???????

Do you frequently "read things into situations that don't exist?" Very sad.....

And for the record, my understanding is this was a personal decision of Kim's not to run and had absolutely nothing to do with the school bond that passed, his seat on the school board, etc. Good grief Whitey - talk about "outlandish ideas and speculations". :rolleyes:

Breaking news.

It appears that Joe Brownlee put his hat in the ring at the last minute to give him the option to run but after doing so, chose to reconsider and withdrew his candidacy this morning. This is official as his name has been removed from the Secretary of State's list of qualified candidates.

We will be presenting video of each of the three remaining candidates in the news on Friday.

pubby

MADEA Really do not think it is a moot point,Seems that Mr.Curl will have to meet the voters this year if he intends to run again for the school board?

If my memory serves me the School bond was voted down the first time,And was passed the second time around after thousands of special interest campaign $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ was injected into the campaign.If mr.Curl runs for re election for the school board I fully intend on reminding the voters of all of his votes to raise our taxes, After all incumbents should not mind running on their records RUGHT???????

I am not in this discussion like the rest, but I was going to post the exact same thing. Thanks Whitey. I was very disappointed that the second time around was politically planned and many SCARE tactics were used to influence a few more voters. I voted it down twice and would do it again. Monies can ALWAYS be found if it is truly needed. I was always told it is easier to spend someone else's money than your own. That is what leads to irresponsible spending.

Edited by Blazing Saddles

I am not in this discussion like the rest, but I was going to post the exact same thing. Thanks Whitey. I was very disappointed that the second time around was politically planned and many SCARE tactics were used to influence a few more voters. I voted it down twice and would do it again. Monies can ALWAYS be found if it is truly needed. I was always told it is easier to spend someone else's money than your own. That is what leads to irresponsible spending.

I believe 3 of those BOE members are gone now. Elections have consequences and that is a fact. There is no getting around the counting of votes and we lost in the bond issue BS. I wish it had gone differently but the majority of the voters who came to the polls got what they voted for. I wonder if they would do the same thing today or for that matter if the same BOE members would do the same thing today. We sure do have a different economic picture in Paulding today than we had then.

I believe 3 of those BOE members are gone now. Elections have consequences and that is a fact. There is no getting around the counting of votes and we lost in the bond issue BS. I wish it had gone differently but the majority of the voters who came to the polls got what they voted for. I wonder if they would do the same thing today or for that matter if the same BOE members would do the same thing today. We sure do have a different economic picture in Paulding today than we had then.

You are correct. I think things would be different.

If my memory serves me the School bond was voted down the first time,And was passed the second time around after thousands of special interest campaign $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ was injected into the campaign.

You never responded to my last post to you. Paulding County has had a population increase of 62+% since 2000. What else were we going to do?

Yes, voted down the first time. A request was made to put it back out there. An effort was made to inform the voters and there was a second vote that the voters of this county APPROVED.

I interviewed Jody Cash earlier today and I will say that he is a down-to-earth individual who built a multi-million dollar metal roof fabrication company (gross sales) from the ground up over the past 16 years. He doesn't have a fancy education but he knows the struggles of making a payroll. I can unequivocally that this guy is no pretty boy, doesn't put on airs and is the antithesis of the 'slick politician.' Beyond that, check out the interview in tomorrow's Paulding.com News and make up your own mind.

pubby

I actually agree with most of what you are saying. Except for the part of ANY president making me prosper. I started a business in 1985 that I made prosper through hard work, being dead honest even when it cost me money and making every client feel as though they were the most important client I had.

I made more money during the Clinton years than at any other time. Not that he had any direct bearing on it. My point was that a school board member, in what I believe was an attempt to girder the building industry, was able to cost me nearly $6,000 a year in property tax. No freakin thanks.

:blink: We REALLY need to talk.

I think not. <_<

Kim Curl is my cousin so I'm a little biased, but he honestly is a wonderful person and would do a great job for Paulding County as he has done in the past on the school board.

That's laughable.....

Edited by J. R. Ewing

I see that some of the regulars on this site are heaping High Praise upon Kim Curl, I agree he is a fine person but................

Is this the same person that at one point quit the School Board because he did not get his way??

Is this the same person That Donated money to the "Support Paulding Schools" committee during the School Bond election, That crammed the school bond down the throats of the citizens of Paulding County?

Is this the same person that supported increases in School Taxes almost every year while he was serving on the School Board? While elected to the School Board?

Can Mr. Curl hold both positions if elected to the House of Representives, Or will he resign from the School Board to run for this office.

This is one candidate That has a past record that can be easily seen, Just look at the Tax Statement for the past several years as it relates to the SCHOOL TAXES you have paid, And the decision will be easy to not vote for Kim Curl.

ENOUGH SAID

I knew that this (bolded statement above) didn't sound right the first time I read it and I waited to post on this matter until I could confirm the facts and that has now been done. Whitey, I don't know where you got your information on this but it is NOT TRUE!!!!!!!

Don't you think it might be a good idea for you to confirm what you type on a message board before you go and potentially damage someone's reputation and impugn their character?

And folks we wonder what is wrong with our political system today and why we can't get qualified people to run for public office............

• Like 2

I agree..Kim has done an awesome job and is a super guy...However, that is what makes America great J.R. If ya dont like the job he's done you can always run against him !

As much as I love Pcom, you know for a lot of people they dont care about what they say about others. True or not it is often open season on not only politicians but others as well. It is sad that this is what happens.

Exactly! Not saying this is the case with Kim Curl, but I can certainly understand how so many competent, qualified people decide against running - life is just too short for this kind of crap.

And I agree, it is not only very sad, it is also very risky.

[/b]

Exactly! Not saying this is the case with Kim Curl, but I can certainly understand how so many competent, qualified people decide against running - life is just too short for this kind of crap.

And I agree, it is not only very sad, it is also very risky.

Elected officials need to know that some of their decisions will stick with them for the rest of their political careers. I see the school bond as a bad AND expensive decision. Things always have a way of finding their own level and the school situation would have as well.

What Cousins and his buddies wanted was some schools built on the north side of the county to enhance the value of their developments at the property owners expense. Everyone involved KNEW that was why the were getting so much support from the builders and developers.

Now I'm not saying this is why everyone was on board with the idea because some just wanted schools at any cost. And some were convinced that this was to actually "help the children". But I think most everyone knew who was backing the movement and why.

Elected officials need to know that some of their decisions will stick with them for the rest of their political careers. I see the school bond as a bad AND expensive decision. Things always have a way of finding their own level and the school situation would have as well.

What Cousins and his buddies wanted was some schools built on the north side of the county to enhance the value of their developments at the property owners expense. Everyone involved KNEW that was why the were getting so much support from the builders and developers.

Now I'm not saying this is why everyone was on board with the idea because some just wanted schools at any cost. And some were convinced that this was to actually "help the children". But I think most everyone knew who was backing the movement and why.

Wow - must be great to be able to "read people's minds" feelip. :rolleyes: Let me ask you a question feelip, what do you think about "some" on this board that just spread flat out "untruths"? Try to put yourself or one of your family members in the ones shoes that the "untruths" were being spread about - how would you feel?

If you and others can't see that, due to the exceptional growth in our county over the last few years, that the bond was needed, I just can't help you - do the math feelip!

Wow - must be great to be able to "read people's minds" feelip. :rolleyes: Let me ask you a question feelip, what do you think about "some" on this board that just spread flat out "untruths"? Try to put yourself or one of your family members in the ones shoes that the "untruths" were being spread about - how would you feel?

If you and others can't see that, due to the exceptional growth in our county over the last few years, that the bond was needed, I just can't help you - do the math feelip!

I didn't try to read any minds. Read what I said more carefully. And I haven't said anything untrue about anyone. Geez, I think Mr. Curl is probably a great guy. As I have previously stated, he and I were on opposite sides of the school bond (and still are) and I would not vote for him for any office because of his position on that issue.

I am sure we needed SCHOOLS. We just didn't need the property owners to be forced to pay for them alone. There were other avenues that were just a little more difficult and time consuming than the bond, that would have shared the cost with ALL the citizens.

Your right about choices,now that our own BOC has voted 5-0 not to allow certain people to speak at there meeting. No laywers,no canidates for office and no ex-employee for 90 days. So just like the BOE no one can talk there either. Does the word socialism come to mind here?

Your right about choices,now that our own BOC has voted 5-0 not to allow certain people to speak at there meeting. No laywers,no canidates for office and no ex-employee for 90 days. So just like the BOE no one can talk there either. Does the word socialism come to mind here?

You mean you can't speak even if you sign up before the meeting to speak? You can't be put on the agenda if you make that request?

I didn't try to read any minds. Read what I said more carefully. And I haven't said anything untrue about anyone. Geez, I think Mr. Curl is probably a great guy. As I have previously stated, he and I were on opposite sides of the school bond (and still are) and I would not vote for him for any office because of his position on that issue.

I am sure we needed SCHOOLS. We just didn't need the property owners to be forced to pay for them alone. There were other avenues that were just a little more difficult and time consuming than the bond, that would have shared the cost with ALL the citizens.

I agree with most of this. It is obvious to all, or it should be, that as schools get overcrowded, people are less apt to want to move into the district. This affects the current population by potentially leading to a slowing of capital gains on their property, but greatly affects the builders living day in and day out on that growth. You also have to remember that up until the current recession, the double digit rise in home values meant a double digit rise in tax revenue for both the school board, and the county commission, far exceeding the 3.5% inflation rate. SWEET!.

The last thing the builders and the school board, and the county commission would want to do would be to place a roadblock in the way of that gravy train. The real problem occurs when you don't balance that residential growth, leaving you two choices to prime the pump. You either raise revenue off of the backs of the taxpayers and property owners, or you impose an impact fee on the builders, making them pay at least a portion of the extra burden the high residential growth rate places on school infrastructure. The previous commission and the school board have never seen the obvious benefit of actively controlling growth, and the school board particularly was in a reactionary mode that for whatever reason, favored the builders over the citizens of Paulding County.

Maybe Mr. Curl and other members thought that they could not take an active part in being good stewards of the taxpayer's hard earned dollars, and felt cornered. Like you say, nobody knows. All we know is that they voted to place the burden of rapid residential growth squarely in the pockets of the taxpayer, instead of adequately exploring other avenues, such as impact fees, and up to and including the seemingly draconian measure of refusing to expand more rapidly than the tax base reasonably allowed. They can and should have gotten the attention of the Commission. Now we are all paying for the expansion largess of all involved.

This is not to bash anybody, but like you say, if you make an unpopular decision, it will rightfully stick with you.

• Like 1

Maybe Mr. Curl and other members thought that they could not take an active part in being good stewards of the taxpayer's hard earned dollars, and felt cornered. Like you say, nobody knows. All we know is that they voted to place the burden of rapid residential growth squarely in the pockets of the taxpayer, instead of adequately exploring other avenues, such as impact fees, and up to and including the seemingly draconian measure of refusing to expand more rapidly than the tax base reasonably allowed. They can and should have gotten the attention of the Commission. Now we are all paying for the expansion largess of all involved.

This is not to bash anybody, but like you say, if you make an unpopular decision, it will rightfully stick with you.

That again is a misrepresentation of what actually happened. We have NO way of knowing how ANY BOE member voted in that election. The taxpayers voted YES to the bond issue.

Can you say with 100% certainty that other avenues were not explored? Would the "impact fees" even been legal?

Btw, I'd love to shove some "impact fees" up Cherokee County's . . . well, you know. pardon.gif