Paulding.com

Candidates finalized for House Dist. 19 race

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No, I am not the Judge or Jury (or then, I guess I could be part of the Jury as I am a registered voter) - you never know do you?   And no, Whitey is not under any obligation to answer me. Howev

And there are SOME people who bully others with the threat of lawsuits to get them to shut up and not speak. Which is worse?

"Man up" Whitey and just answer our questions - it really is very simple! You keep trying to distract everyone from the issue at hand and it is not working. Just simply answer the questions.    

I see that some of the regulars on this site are heaping High Praise upon Kim Curl, I agree he is a fine person but................

Is this the same person that at one point quit the School Board because he did not get his way??

Is this the same person That Donated money to the "Support Paulding Schools" committee during the School Bond election, That crammed the school bond down the throats of the citizens of Paulding County?

Is this the same person that supported increases in School Taxes almost every year while he was serving on the School Board? While elected to the School Board?

Can Mr. Curl hold both positions if elected to the House of Representives, Or will he resign from the School Board to run for this office.

This is one candidate That has a past record that can be easily seen, Just look at the Tax Statement for the past several years as it relates to the SCHOOL TAXES you have paid, And the decision will be easy to not vote for Kim Curl.

ENOUGH SAID

I don't know if you have your facts straight about some of this but I do know that he has a Pharmacy, started Kimberly Assisted Living Home, and has had to deal with budgets as a businessman, and as a man who has served this County and it's children. I am grateful to have banks that work for the residents of Paulding County. I believe that he is on the board of directors for one. I don't see that as a problem because I don't know what I would do as a citizen of this county if I did not have a place to deposit, withdraw, save, and if I had to, borrow money. He is a businessman who has had to work for a living and provide for his family just as most of us have.

I don't know if you have your facts straight about some of this but I do know that he has a Pharmacy, started Kimberly Assisted Living Home, and has had to deal with budgets as a businessman, and as a man who has served this County and it's children. I am grateful to have banks that work for the residents of Paulding County. I believe that he is on the board of directors for one. I don't see that as a problem because I don't know what I would do as a citizen of this county if I did not have a place to deposit, withdraw, save, and if I had to, borrow money. He is a businessman who has had to work for a living and provide for his family just as most of us have.

Not sure you have all your facts straight either,In any event I am sure that the Small Busuness community in Paulding Cointy Are quite aware of his votes to raise taxes in the county.

But but but didn't you say the same thing about Glenn? :blink: :lol: :pardon:

I'm sure you have never in your life had a friend that has been involved in any kind of a controversy, right feelip? :rolleyes:

If you are bringing into question my character because I am a friend of Glenn's, then you have a problem.

I actually agree. I didn't care for Barnes as a governor, that is until I saw what a nimrod Sonny Perdue was.

I agree with you about Sonny! I am very happy to be getting the chance to vote for a new Governor. You can bet your bottom dollar that I WON'T be voting for one that will hold hands with Obama! That would be very bad for Georgia in my opinion. I won't vote for Roy. I was truly glad to see him leave. I think folks need to be very careful who they vote for in the primaries.

I'm sure you have never in your life had a friend that has been involved in any kind of a controversy, right feelip? :rolleyes:

If you are bringing into question my character because I am a friend of Glenn's, then you have a problem.

So are you saying that you based your evaluation of his abilities as speaker of the house on the fact that he is your friend?

Somewhere there has to be a separation of friendship and reality. I'm wondering if you are able to separate on this candidate as well.

Doesn't really matter because I base my opinion of his ability to represent me on the fact that he has already caused me to pay more tax. I also have to wonder if it was for the children are for the bank. ;)

I have a legal question?

Is it lawful to vote as a School Board member to put a School Bond Vote on the Ballot for a special election,And then Contribute to a campaign fund for the passage of the Bond Issue?

Does not seem legal to me, Just asking :D

I am sure that everyone remembers the School bonds being on two SPECIAL ELECTIONS, Defeated the first time, Then the $$$$$$$$$$$ got involved the second time :D

So does Kim want to do this on a State Level since it worked so well on a County level?

Be very careful with this vote folks, It could cost you a lot of Tax

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

So are you saying that you based your evaluation of his abilities as speaker of the house on the fact that he is your friend?

Somewhere there has to be a separation of friendship and reality. I'm wondering if you are able to separate on this candidate as well.

Doesn't really matter because I base my opinion of his ability to represent me on the fact that he has already caused me to pay more tax. I also have to wonder if it was for the children are for the bank. ;)

Which Bank? Was it the one that financed the School Bond>

I have a legal question?

Is it lawful to vote as a School Board member to put a School Bond Vote on the Ballot for a special election,And then Contribute to a campaign fund for the passage of the Bond Issue?

I am sure that everyone remembers the School bonds being on two SPECIAL ELECTIONS, Defeated the first time, Then the $$$$$$$$$$$ got involved the second time :D

So does Kim want to do this on a State Level since it worked so well on a County level?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I would suggest that you hire and pay a lawyer to get your legal questions answered for you Whitey. If you don't have a license to practice law, then you are not to dispense legal advice.

As for the questions for Mr. Curl, I would recommend that you do the noble thing and ask him yourself instead of merely speculating about things on a public message forum. He is a very nice guy and I'm quite sure he will be glad to answer any questions you have for him.

I have a legal question?

Do you just sit around and dream these things up Whitey? There was no bank that financed the School Bond. There were various contributors and the campaign WAS NOT financed by any bank. Good grief....

Please do not put words in my mouth feelip. You don't know me personally and you are thus not qualified to put words in my mouth.

Are you accusing the people that served on the Committee to Support Paulding Schools and anyone that contributed to this campaign of something unethical or immoral?

I have a legal question?

Does not seem legal to me, Just asking biggrin.gif

I am sure that everyone remembers the School bonds being on two SPECIAL ELECTIONS, Defeated the first time, Then the $$$$$$$$$$$ got involved the second time biggrin.gif

In his defense, I have to say that the economic conditions were different then. This County was doing very well and some thought it would continue to do so. I was very much against that bond issue and fought against it. Hind sight is always 20/20 and who knows what that board would do today. I do know that this man thinks of the kids first and he will do what he thinks is best for them. BOE and House Seats have a little different main focus even though the budget management have a great deal in common.

Are you accusing the people that served on the Committee to Support Paulding Schools and anyone that contributed to this campaign of something unethical or immoral?

Nope! But I KNOW that a large portion of the money came from people and corporations with ulterior motives. Not that they didn't care about the kids, but the kids alone would not have them investing into forcing the bond on the property owners of the county.

The school bond was about enhancing property values so a few very wealthy people could make a huge profit. And instead of using part of their potential profit to enhance the property, they forced it on the hard-working property owners of the county. As far as I am concerned anyone that took part in this scam will never get my vote again.

I would suggest that you hire and pay a lawyer to get your legal questions answered for you Whitey. If you don't have a license to practice law, then you are not to dispense legal advice.

As for the questions for Mr. Curl, I would recommend that you do the noble thing and ask him yourself instead of merely speculating about things on a public message forum. He is a very nice guy and I'm quite sure he will be glad to answer any questions you have for him.

Do you just sit around and dream these things up Whitey? There was no bank that financed the School Bond. There were various contributors and the campaign WAS NOT financed by any bank. Good grief....

Just thought someone may know the legal answer may still get a reply from someone.

Just for your information their is no need to talk with Mr. Curl his past actions/votes as a member of the Paulding County School Board speaks Volumes to me as to his intergity and positions on many issues.

GOOD GRIEF Beach Bum everyone who ever read this message board knows that a certain Bank here in the County has always handled Most of the Bonds ever issued by the School District and the County, Surely one as involvrd as you are knew this, I simply asked if this was a bank that Mr. Curl was connected with GEEZS!!!!!

I think both parties consist of a bunch of self-serving, arrogant politicians that are in office for the power and all they can steal. I know Georgia was better off after Barnes left office than it will be when Perdue leaves office, and not all of that can be blamed on the economy.

My point is that a lot of voters will vote against an entire party just to show their dismay with the party just leaving office (worked for Obama). Personally, I don't like to see either party have absolute power and that's what we have had here in Paulding for a long time. Look where we are.

Perhaps Feelip it's time you step up and serve?

I agree that many are as you describe them above. HOWEVER, unless someone really "mad as heck and not gonna take it anymore" steps up to take the place of the power hungry you describe above, then all the choices we have will continue to be as you describe.

Having said that, lip service or not, the candidates that were willing to step up to qualify seemed to have the our interests at heart. They were all willing to speak to those in the community and welcomed us to contact them.

In another post you mentioned party affiliation and what does or does not get us into trouble.

This is a NON-Party race. Party declaration is not required. I did not see or hear of any "Democrats" willing to run. Perhaps someone will qualify before the deadline this week. If so, that just gives us all more choice.

The few on here that b***ch and moan all the time, but aren't willing to participate - via town halls, email/calls to representatives, or by running themselves should ask - What do you expect if you are so disheartened by the politicians we have in place? It requires activism at some level.

Activism is what helped bring the Senatorial election in MA to the place it is in now. Tea Party movement and voices of Americans at the local level saying they are not happy with the way things are going. Finally people started listening. Both sides of congress are now searching on how to get more insight from the public - on what we want to see, so they can win seats next year. This came from protests, tea party participants, town hall participants.

So, please tell me you're involved - more than just complaining on PCom?

Go run for the seat or encourage someone you think may be good to run. Qualifying ends sometime this week.

In his defense, I have to say that the economic conditions were different then. This County was doing very well and some thought it would continue to do so. I was very much against that bond issue and fought against it. Hind sight is always 20/20 and who knows what that board would do today. I do know that this man thinks of the kids first and he will do what he thinks is best for them. BOE and House Seats have a little different main focus even though the budget management have a great deal in common.

Kids first huh, Did The school board put the kids first when they agreed to build the Taj Mahal for the adults,And put the kids in trailers?

Sorry Everything was booming around here when he voted to place our Grand kids in debt (25 Year Bond) And the School Taxes were going up every year,Under his adminstration.

I agree that many are as you describe them above. HOWEVER, unless someone really "mad as heck and not gonna take it anymore" steps up to take the place of the power hungry you describe above, then all the choices we have will continue to be as you describe.

Having said that, lip service or not, the candidates that were willing to step up to qualify seemed to have the our interests at heart. They were all willing to speak to those in the community and welcomed us to contact them.

In another post you mentioned party affiliation and what does or does not get us into trouble.

This is a NON-Party race. Party declaration is not required. I did not see or hear of any "Democrats" willing to run. Perhaps someone will qualify before the deadline this week. If so, that just gives us all more choice.

The few on here that b***ch and moan all the time, but aren't willing to participate - via town halls, email/calls to representatives, or by running themselves should ask - What do you expect if you are so disheartened by the politicians we have in place? It requires activism at some level.

Activism is what helped bring the Senatorial election in MA to the place it is in now. Tea Party movement and voices of Americans at the local level saying they are not happy with the way things are going. Finally people started listening. Both sides of congress are now searching on how to get more insight from the public - on what we want to see, so they can win seats next year. This came from protests, tea party participants, town hall participants.

Go run for the seat or encourage someone you think may be good to run. Qualifying ends sometime this week.

Good post. I would add that maybe finding a good candidate to run and supporting them, or just getting behind, and working for one that you do believe will do a good job is so very important. I know Whitey has done that.

Kids first huh, Did The school board put the kids first when they agreed to build the Taj Mahal for the adults,And put the kids in trailers?

Sorry Everything was booming around here when he voted to place our Grand kids in debt (25 Year Bond) And the School Taxes were going up every year,Under his adminstration.

You are reaching now. They had nothing to do with that!dry.gif

Good post. I would add that maybe finding a good candidate to run and supporting them, or just getting behind, and working for one that you do believe will do a good job is so very important. I know Whitey has done that.

You are reaching now. They had nothing to do with that!dry.gif

Oh yes they did

I agree with you about Sonny! I am very happy to be getting the chance to vote for a new Governor. You can bet your bottom dollar that I WON'T be voting for one that will hold hands with Obama! That would be very bad for Georgia in my opinion. I won't vote for Roy. I was truly glad to see him leave. I think folks need to be very careful who they vote for in the primaries.

From what I've seen over the past year, holding hands isn't sufficient. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I worked to dethrone King Jerry and to elect Tommie Graham as Post Commissioner. Also worked (unsuccessfully) to elect a new Post IV Commissioner to replace Mr. Kirby, even though that was not in my district. I would like to think that I have had at least a small part of derailing the former Good Ol' Boy regime that was putting the county into an unrecoverable spin.

All I am trying to do now is keep the county from getting back into the wrong hands. Wasn't it Gomer Pyle that said "Screw me once shame on you; screw me twice shame on me"? (I know George Bush tried to say that but never got it out correctly :lol:)

I worked to dethrone King Jerry and to elect Tommie Graham as Post Commissioner. Also worked (unsuccessfully) to elect a new Post IV Commissioner to replace Mr. Kirby, even though that was not in my district. I would like to think that I have had at least a small part of derailing the former Good Ol' Boy regime that was putting the county into an unrecoverable spin.

All I am trying to do now is keep the county from getting back into the wrong hands. Wasn't it Gomer Pyle that said "Screw me once shame on you; screw me twice shame on me"? (I know George Bush tried to say that but never got it out correctly :lol:)

That's AWESOME Feelip - That you have been engaged in local elections.

I have much more respect for someone that complains about not liking the leadership we have IF they actually try to make changes and use their voice to be heard.

Now, back on topic... Jerry or Commissioners have nothing to do with the comments or post about the special election.

Pubby or LPPT, do we have a forum to let the public ask questions of the candidates once qualifying is over?

Perhaps we could get like 10 top questions citizens have for the candidates, reach out to them for a response, and then write an article showing their responses to these questions??? OR maybe an open forum/town hall somewhere if they'll attend. Again, probably have to survey to get the most popular questions first to keep to a reasonable time limit.

I would encourage anyone and everyone on Paulding.com to get involved at some level.

- Off topic again - Whether you sway towards liberal leanings or conservative leanings. We have both Republican and Democratic parties in this county that you can attend meetings as a guest for free. You can meet and hear from candidates running for local elections and state-wide elections (at least at the Republican party meetings). I haven't been to a Democratic party meeting yet.

We have a chance to get behind and support a candidate for Governor - as the primaries will be held this summer. If anyone wants to know more (on the conservative side), feel free to PM me. Perhaps someone that attends Democratic meetings can post as well.

I have much more respect for someone that complains about not liking the leadership we have IF they actually try to make changes and use their voice to be heard.

Now, back on topic... Jerry or Commissioners have nothing to do with the comments or post about the special election.

Pubby or LPPT, do we have a forum to let the public ask questions of the candidates once qualifying is over?

Perhaps we could get like 10 top questions citizens have for the candidates, reach out to them for a response, and then write an article showing their responses to these questions??? OR maybe an open forum/town hall somewhere if they'll attend. Again, probably have to survey to get the most popular questions first to keep to a reasonable time limit.

I would encourage anyone and everyone on Paulding.com to get involved at some level.

- Off topic again - Whether you sway towards liberal leanings or conservative leanings. We have both Republican and Democratic parties in this county that you can attend meetings as a guest for free. You can meet and hear from candidates running for local elections and state-wide elections (at least at the Republican party meetings). I haven't been to a Democratic party meeting yet.

We have a chance to get behind and support a candidate for Governor - as the primaries will be held this summer. If anyone wants to know more (on the conservative side), feel free to PM me. Perhaps someone that attends Democratic meetings can post as well.

Would love to have a Town hall Type meeting,For all of the candidates.

The new commission Chairman held one and it was well attended and everyone got to ask all the questions that they wanted to. It was a very open and transparent meeting

Did you by any chance attend? I did.

Would love to have a Town hall Type meeting,For all of the candidates.

The new commission Chairman held one and it was well attended and everyone got to ask all the questions that they wanted to. It was a very open and transparent meeting

Did you by any chance attend? I did.

I agree with you Whitey. It was a very good meeting and yes, I attended. I would welcome one with that format too.

Excellent post! I try very hard to stay involved and informed on every election we have the opportunity to vote in. I believe it is an individual citizen's duty and obligation to take the time to gather the information necessary to make an intelligent, informed decision when voting on candidates - they will after all, assist in making decisions that are crucial in each of our everyday lives.

I very much appreciate the town hall meetings also and have attended many in the past as they do shed a lot light.

The one thing that I really think is such a disservice to the candidates and for the general public for that matter,(and that goes for both parties) is that sometimes people become complacent and just merely vote with the information they have read on a public message forum, word of mouth, etc. I offer this advice to voters, don't take my word for it or anyone else's here, do your homework, research the candidates and make your own educated decision on how you will vote.

To answer your question,

We have some very good options here on the site for local candidates to get the word on their candidacy.

Once they purchase the political membership they may campaign to our audience.

Their membership comes with some options that allow them to do some editing and even close threads and start other topics.

They can blog and choose to allow comments or not.

They can run polls on public opinion of issues.

We would probably be open to call in shows and that type of thing.

They can also do videos.

The banners have the ability to let them advertise their key issues.

All the candidates have the information in hand of the options we offer as of Saturday.

It is obvious that not much is known about 2 of the candidates and one has a public record to defend should he choose to.

I would be pleased to see them campaign on here, It would help people to make informed decisions when they vote.

To answer your question,

We have some very good options here on the site for local candidates to get the word on their candidacy.

Once they purchase the political membership they may campaign to our audience.

Their membership comes with some options that allow them to do some editing and even close threads and start other topics.

They can blog and choose to allow comments or not.

They can run polls on public opinion of issues.

We would probably be open to call in shows and that type of thing.

They can also do videos.

The banners have the ability to let them advertise their key issues.

All the candidates have the information in hand of the options we offer as of Saturday.

It is obvious that not much is known about 2 of the candidates and one has a public record to defend should he choose to.

I would be pleased to see them campaign on here, It would help people to make informed decisions when they vote.

Awesome info! Thanks LPPT! Good for all of us to be reminded (or those of us who aren't fully functioning on here yet to see what is available.

Elect Paulette Rakestraw Braddock to Georgia House of Representatives There is a special election on February 23. Please tell everyone you know in Paulding County to get out an vote in this election. More detailed information to come on my website being launched soon

So when did she pull out....

I actually agree. I didn't care for Barnes as a governor, that is until I saw what a nimrod Sonny Perdue was.

I'm not a Perdue fan either. I truly hope we have something to chose from this go round that will be good for Georgia......and that ain't King Roy !!

Elect Paulette Rakestraw Braddock to Georgia House of Representatives There is a special election on February 23. Please tell everyone you know in Paulding County to get out an vote in this election. More detailed information to come on my website being launched soon

:lol:

That's classic p.com right there. :lol:

You had me wondering what I missed there for a second. I have not heard the word officially but I think she must have decided the support may not be there or maybe it is not the right time. JMO As far as I know she never made an official announcement that she was running.

I was told yesterday by a mutual friend of ours that she decided to pull out of this special election for reasons that I cannot elaborate on. She will most likely run in the general election.

Thanks, I had not heard that. I really am looking for someone qualified for the Job. Have not found them yet, will continue to read about the one's with their hat tipped so far.

That is her BB... she use or maybe still is on the BOE... and she also puts out that community magazine

Lady Raider, she lost that seat to Kim Cobb in the 2008 election. Kim was sworn in January of 2009 I believe. I thought she put out the last issue of that magazine in 2008. I could be wrong about that but I don't think so.

I have no idea, I just know that is what she did :blush:

goes to show since I do not work for the school system any longer I am not up to date on a lot of this stuff :blush:

and plus I do not visit the political forum so I have no idea who is who any more :good: