Paulding.com

Local teacher arrested for child molestation - sexual battery

Local teacher arrested for sexual molestation and felony sexual battery

This just in:

The Paulding County Sheriff's Office has arrested and charged Shanna Detwieler (40 years old) of Dallas, GA with Child Molestation and Sexual Battery (one count each). Detwieler was arrested yesterday evening in Paulding County. As I type, Detwieler is in custody in the Paulding County Detention Center with a bond amount of $4,050.00. However, she is in the process of bonding out at this time.

Investigators have described the actions as "inappropriate sexual contact" between Detwieler and a 14 year old male juvenile victim.

detwieler.jpg

Detwieler is employed by the Paulding County School System. However, the incident did not occur on school grounds or involve a student teacher relationship.

A 40-year old Paulding teacher - Shanna Detwieler - was arrested yesterday by the Paulding County Sheriff's office on charges of sexually molesting an underage teenage boy in her home sometime in the previous weeks.

The Sheriff's office reported that the sexual contact between the woman and the 14-year old male occurred in the woman's home. It did not appear the teen and the teacher were acquainted through school although the exact nature of how they became acquainted was not immediately known.

The Sheriff's office deferred information on Ms. Detwielers' employment status with the Paulding schools to the schools stating that her status as a teacher was not relevant to the criminal case as there are no allegations of activity on school property or at school sponsored events.

Ms. Detwieler was charged with misdemeanor child molestation and felony sexual battery.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

o are the damn vultures that you speak of  Who are the vultures that you speak of? Nothing you said makes any sense

The only criteria for any arrest is probable cause ("a reasonable amount of suspicion, supported by circumstances sufficiently strong to justify a prudent and cautious person's belief that certain fac

Does the post say which school she teaches? If so, I didn't see it. It turns my stomach every time I hear allegations like this. :(

We looked for her on the list of current teachers and found that her name did not appear suggesting that she may have resigned, not had her contract renewed ... or gone on to be hired by another school system ... or even something else.

What we were able to confirm was that she (And the spelling may be Detweiler) was a rookie teacher of the year in 2007-2008 at South Paulding Middle School.

But again, she did not appear on the teacher roster for 2009-2010 at that local school.

pubby

Does the post say which school she teaches? If so, I didn't see it. It turns my stomach every time I hear allegations like this. :(

Yes I would like to know what school and this will be a case that I will want to know what happens down the line.

She is listed at Austin Middle School- under staff on the paulding.k12.ga.us website-then click schools then click Austin Middle then staff- the staff is in alphabetical order- it looks like she teaches some sort of science maybe.

Edited by justagirl

We looked for her on the list of current teachers and found that her name did not appear suggesting that she may have resigned, not had her contract renewed ... or gone on to be hired by another school system ... or even something else.

What we were able to confirm was that she (And the spelling may be Detweiler) was a rookie teacher of the year in 2007-2008 at South Paulding Middle School.

But again, she did not appear on the teacher roster for 2009-2010 at that local school.

pubby

Pubby, I do believe that she is on staff at Austin Middle School. The poster who posted that is correct.

You know I use to be shocked at the number of people that lusted after teenagers, that are older.

I am not anymore, most movie stars male and females along with models are hired for their resemblance to teens.

It has really surprised me that young male actors and models shave their body hair to resemble young teen boys.

So now we are surprised when people are acting on their lustful thoughts towards teens.

I guess it is fine to place teens in the media as the ultimate icon of sexuality, we don't protest as adults knowing this is what is happening in reality.

Now that many are indulging we want to be appalled.

A nekkid 18 year old is still a nekked teenager, so those lusting are lusting after a teen which they have no business doing.

I have to say where did we as a society think this would lead?

Sex sells, but at what cost?

She is listed at Austin Middle School- under staff on the paulding.k12.ga.us website-then click schools then click Austin Middle then staff- the staff is in alphabetical order- it looks like she teaches some sort of science maybe.

http://schools.paulding.k12.ga.us/ischooldistrict/teacherhome.php?school_ID=51&user_ID=2653&district_ID=2

This is alleged, try to remember that. I have known this woman for over 7 years and I do not for one minute believe this. Remember, there are always two sides to a story and anyone can ALLEGE anything at any time!

• Like 2

This is alleged, try to remember that. I have known this woman for over 7 years and I do not for one minute believe this. Remember, there are always two sides to a story and anyone can ALLEGE anything at any time!

:clapping: I don't know her but I agree with your post...

• Like 1

Again people it's alleged! Why don't we wait to pass judgment until there is an outcome. How many times have accused been innocent??? !

What's sad is a kid could get pi**ed off at a teacher and say anything. It then falls on the teacher to prove innocence. If this turns out to be false then I hope the kid is brought up on false charges!!!

Edited by Pensacola
  • Like 2

Again people it's alleged! Why don't we wait to pass judgment until there is an outcome. How many times have accused been innocent??? !

What's sad is a kid could get pi**ed off at a teacher and say anything. It then falls on the teacher to prove innocence. If this turns out to be false then I hope the kid is brought up on false charges!!!

Yep, that does happen.

Don't worry. The vultures will look into every aspect of her life and report it. They will research anything she has ever done in her life and report it. Even if she is innocent, they will tear her apart and do their best to destroy her life. And they will pretend to be sweet little angels when they do it. Heck, they might even try to go to the courthouse and sneak a peek at private info.

Can't wait for the vultures to have their wings clipped! Every vulture always eventually ends up staying the road a little too long chowing down on the fresh kill and miss the semi heading around the curve.

Sorry. Seen the vultures in action.

Now, for this person. If she is innocent, which I hope she is, then she needs to reevaluate how she ended up in this position. Why did she allow herself to be in a position where an accusation could be made? If it is a student or a former student, why did she allow herself to ever be alone with them at all? That is a big no-no for a teacher. Never be alone with a student. If in a classroom, then the door should be open, or at least have windows in the door. If they are at your home, never be alone with them in a room. I taught school and I had kids the same age as my students, so sometimes my students ended up spending the weekend at my house. I never put myself in a position where any accusation could be made. If you aren't alone with them, it is difficult for it be an effective accusation.

Did you see on the report where it said that her status as a teacher is not relevant? Uuhhh,

yes it is!

Rodie:

The reason that was stated is that if it were a teacher-student liaison then the issue of a person in a position of power over another - like a jail guard and an inmate - comes into play. That kind of situation actually would escalate the crime from the misdemeanor child molestation to felony status.

Because this alleged incident was not connected to school and her formal societal role as a teacher, it was the less misdemeanor charge. Said differently, the charges are styled as if she were just a neighbor and the fact that she was a teacher had no bearing on the nature of the charges filed.

The relevance of her being a teacher referred to the legal relevance.

pubby

I am gonna say that I hope like hell this woman is innocent as I know her personally. I know her family as well. I pray to the gods this is a false accusation cause if it isn't well we wont go there. I am still in shock...

I agree with this, all it takes is one ticked off student to ruin a teaching career, if she is innocent her career is already suffering because of this. if she is guilty then I hope she gets what she deserves, if the student were lying to just get even about something then I do believe charges should be brought against him.

Have any of the alleged teachers NOT been found guilty? Just my observation. Something about these stories raise a giant red flag for me. I have a difficult time considering them innocent before being proved guilty. JMHO I'll try and remain hopeful but my heart goes out to these young people, not to the adults, unless, of course, they are proven guilty which I have yet to see.

Don't worry. The vultures will look into every aspect of her life and report it. They will research anything she has ever done in her life and report it. Even if she is innocent, they will tear her apart and do their best to destroy her life. And they will pretend to be sweet little angels when they do it. Heck, they might even try to go to the courthouse and sneak a peek at private info.

Can't wait for the vultures to have their wings clipped! Every vulture always eventually ends up staying the road a little too long chowing down on the fresh kill and miss the semi heading around the curve.

Sorry. Seen the vultures in action.

Now, for this person. If she is innocent, which I hope she is, then she needs to reevaluate how she ended up in this position. Why did she allow herself to be in a position where an accusation could be made? If it is a student or a former student, why did she allow herself to ever be alone with them at all? That is a big no-no for a teacher. Never be alone with a student. If in a classroom, then the door should be open, or at least have windows in the door. If they are at your home, never be alone with them in a room. I taught school and I had kids the same age as my students, so sometimes my students ended up spending the weekend at my house. I never put myself in a position where any accusation could be made. If you aren't alone with them, it is difficult for it be an effective accusation.

The sad thing is in order to find out the truth around here requires going to find info out at the courthouse. I guess we could just read about charges filed on PCOM and never really care if they were proved to be true or if the person was in fact found innocent. I guess some would rather just react to the headlines and never read the story...but some of us my rather find out the truth.

Even if she is [morally] innocent, she'll probably plead guilty to the misdomeanor charge in lieu of the felony charge being dropped. It's how "the system" works.

That is sad. I could not imagine being charged with something that I did not do.

I am not going to lie though. If had a child that had contact with her I would be freaking out. Even the chance of it being true.

Did they arrest her in the middle of the night? bedhead

Edited by CarolineElizabeth
  • Like 1

Yep. Within my church, if you are going to work with children/youth, you have to take a class on child abuse each year. While 2/3 of the class is on recognizing the signs of neglect or abuse, the other third is on procedures to protect yourself from accusations. I.e. Never be alone in closed room with a child, never offer to take a child home unless there is another adult going (note that is should be a non-related adult, Husband/Wife doesn't count), don't enter the bathroom to assist a child without multiple adults, etc. It's sad in a way, but it does protect both the children and the adults.

Can any teacher on here comment on if the schools require such a class?

I agree with this, all it takes is one ticked off student to ruin a teaching career, if she is innocent her career is already suffering because of this. if she is guilty then I hope she gets what she deserves, if the student were lying to just get even about something then I do believe charges should be brought against him.

I thought they said on the news that it was inside her home & not a student of hers.

This makes what, four teachers in Paulding County?

Do you know who the other 3 are?

I agree. A close friend to my husband and me is in jail for harming his infant, which now they have proved that he DID NOT do. We have known him for years and he is in no way shape or form a violent person, a loving to father to his older son and his baby girl.

But baby is still in foster care and he is still in jail. My personal opinion is his gf (baby mother) did it (there are some disturbing things in her past that lead me to believe this) and accused him. Police arrested him and now that he is there, they plan on making an example out of him because he has tattoos and has battled some demons (drugs).

as for your friend, I hope this is not true. Even if they come out and say it isn't, this is something that will unfortunatly stick with her for the rest of her life.

some people don't realize (or care) that there is a lot of power behind your words....use them wisely.

I hope and pray this woman is innocent. If not, fry her. If she is innocent, shouldn't we lay off the bonfire for a while?

I am saddened by this. And I am really sad that some people feel the need to dredge up all the history of those NOT found guilty of anything just for their own warped and demented pleasure. If someone is guilty of something, let the courts deal with it. And what benefit is it to see what someone might still have pending or not? It is a vengeful sick person who would feel so giddy about dragging names through the mud and feeling superior for doing it. It is disgusting that some people want to dig up information about people NOT convicted. It means they have hidden agendas.

Beware, skeletons can fall out of any closet. No one wants their name or their families persecuted on PCom for the sick pleasure of a few.