- - - - -

Maximum signature size rule

12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_publisher_*

Guest_publisher_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2005 - 10:21 PM

Hi folks:

Paulding.com allows both signatures ... those sayings and also photos at the bottom of an individual's message ... and avatars.

Fortunately, avatars have a 'hard limit' set in the software ... 150 pixels by 100 pixels wide ... but the signatures, which can be called from your own server ... can include images that are user defined.

We've had some folks post signature images that destroy our tables (wider than 600 pixels) that mess up the way the page views.

We've also had some folks post images that were full-sized photos or even sign type images that were 400 or even 600 pixels tall.

for that reason, we request that no signature image exceed 500 pixels WIDE or 200 pixels tall. This doesn't mean that the 'official size' of a signature is this size ... I ENCOURAGE SMALLER ... like 100 x 500 or 200 x 200 ... these are plenty big ... but the combination of images or the maximum dimensions may not exceed these limits.

There is another limit ... 50,000 bytes (50kb) ... which just shows a little consideration for those with dial up.

here is an graphic showing the maxium size by height and width.

Over the past six months, I believe I've posted fewer than a dozen folks regarding this type of issue but as Barney Fife would say, we just want to nip this in the bud.

FYI: I know a lot of folks will just wonder what a pixel is and won't know how to find out. There is a trick, though. If it looks like it might be too big, right mouse-click on the image and it will tell you its size in pixels and bytes.

Regardless, it is not a big deal if you get a PM asking you down-size your sig. No one is mad at you or picking on you; we're just trying to keep things from getting out of hand.

pubby

#2 ridge rd retiree

ridge rd retiree

Pcom Innovator

• ^BOPPER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,699 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 10:55 PM

thanks for refreshing my memory blum.gif

#3 Budman

Budman

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,763 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 08:20 AM

so I guess mine is too long?
http://www.georgiacarry.org/

"To disarm the people is the most effective way to enslave them."

#4 Guest_publisher_*

Guest_publisher_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2005 - 01:32 AM

Budman:

I don't want to encourage long textual signatures like your's but the specific prohibition in place regards a graphic image.

The issue is that lines of text are not normally expressed in terms of image pixels and if it were described as lines of text, then the issue would then become the font used as well. That makes it a bit hard to define why your text signature would be too long although it does seem to be about five line's too tall.

But then it would be okay if you used {size=-2} ... Don't worry about it now.

pubby

#5 katied

katied

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 01:41 AM

Is mine OK, it is 423 x 372.
[img]http://http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/264171_226074014083485_100000426632529_815620_4875583_n.jpg[/img]

#6 Guest_publisher_*

Guest_publisher_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2005 - 01:58 AM

Actually, yours appears to be three images that are less than 500 pixels wide but the big one in the middle seems about 21 pixels too tall (221 pixels)

Not a biggie but just a bit smaller would be within the 'rules'.

pubby

#7 Lady Raider

Lady Raider

Super Icon

• +MPS extra
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77,669 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 08:21 AM

yeppers: i got that pm publisher: and no big deal here, i just found another one: and you siad the one i am using now is fine: let me know ifit is a probelm, and i will fix it:

glad to know you ar not mad: shoot no telling where you would send me with the click of your mouse biggrin.gif
"The most dangerous place in the world to be is "Between a Mother and her Child"

Posted Image

In Loving Memory of My Daddy and Mama
3-29-08
and 10-24-2012

*say what you mean, and mean what you say*

#8 katied

katied

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 02:51 PM

QUOTE (lady raider @ Mar 20 2005, 09:21 AM)
yeppers: i got that pm publisher

Yeah, he sent me one too, when I had tinkerbell on here.
[img]http://http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/264171_226074014083485_100000426632529_815620_4875583_n.jpg[/img]

#9 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,854 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 09:24 PM

Just a reminder that signature image sizes are being enforced.

If you want to stay out of the crosshairs but have no idea how big 200 pixels tall by 500 pixels wide is, take my signature (its bold/black) and trace around it right there on your monitor. cut out the 'box' and that will be how big "500 pixel by 200 pixels" is.

If your signature image is taller than the box OR wider; either one; it is too big.

Thanks for your cooperation.

pubby

#10 *~LisaG~*

*~LisaG~*

*not as sweet as you think*

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,197 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 09:28 PM

uh..............how do I make the space under mine go away?

#11 Boss Hogg

Boss Hogg

RIP JJ

• Mayberry Sheriff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 02:41 PM

There are several signatures that have grown larger than the limit of 200 pixels Tall by 500 pixels Wide. Please re-size your signature to the appropriate size.

http://www.paulding.com/ads/mayberryrack.swf

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#12 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,854 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:54 AM

I noticed recently that:

One: the signature size rules have not been vigorously enforced.

Second: The board has answered the needs of site admins by allowing limits not only to be set, but to be adjusted by the level of membership.

Today, I set the image size limit to one image no wider than 500 pixels and no deeper than 200 for regular members.

I also limit the number of lines of text for regular members to six lines.

We allow, I believe one URL.

Thanks to the folks at IPB for the worthy and appropriate tool.

pubby

#13 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,854 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:12 PM

I should add that we had used the limits a few times for commerce members ... but this time went through and put consistency to the stats. Previously, all members were tacitly limited to the one image and 500 x 200 pixel size with 'a reasonable' limit on the number of lines.

While that limit remains for the regular members, premium members including all business members are all set with a new expanded limit. There can be as many as three images in a signature and their maximum dimensions are limited to 728 by 310 pixels. Premium members also get the option of having links to two URL's and may have up to eight lines of text in their signature.

As signatures rules have not been enforced much, these hardware limits may impact folks but know that with the exception of the free members, who have smaller limits, all members are treated equally.

pubby

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics