*Topic Closer*

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:07 AM

Mysteries
Non-fiction
Biographys- anything that is intriguing..sad, uplifting, encouraging. I like them all smile.gif

#2 AtlantaBry

AtlantaBry

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:17 AM

QUOTE (Living and luving it @ Oct 28 2009, 11:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mysteries
Non-fiction
Biographys- anything that is intriguing..sad, uplifting, encouraging. I like them all smile.gif

Anything by Stuart Woods. He is an Author w/ Georgia ties and I have been reading his books one right after the other. Ohe of his older books "Chiefs" is really good and based in Georgia. Also he has a line of Stone Barrington novels which are among the best around.

#3 MrsB

MrsB

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:17 AM

The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo.

That is the best book I have read in so long. My Kindle kept recommending it to me, but I was unsure. I was stuck in the Miami airport last month and had left my Kindle so I picked this up. It was a little slow to start, but then I couldn't put it down. So good, and so different than what I expected.

After I read it, I immediately downloaded the second one, The Girl Who Played With Fire. Also very awesome.

Edited by MrsB, 28 October 2009 - 10:18 AM.

#4 thebookworm

thebookworm

Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:46 AM

QUOTE (Living and luving it @ Oct 28 2009, 11:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mysteries
Non-fiction

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightime by Mark Haddon
Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Any Jodi Picoult books (prepare for intensity and crying in most)
Wicked by Gregory Maguire
The Shack by William Young

Have you liked us yet??? Take a chance to win FREE books at our store if you do! http://www.facebook....m.PowderSprings
The Book Worm Bookstore
4451 Marietta Street
Powder Springs, GA 30127
(770) 439-2029
http://www.TheBookWormOnline.com
Monday - Saturday 10:00am - 6:00pm

#5 QOTSA

QOTSA

Are you gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,347 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:48 AM

Under the Banner of Heaven
Stolen Innocence
Escape
Infidel

You see my mule don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it...

#6 footballbeerchic

footballbeerchic

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,276 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:51 AM

QUOTE (QOTSA @ Oct 28 2009, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Under the Banner of Heaven
Stolen Innocence
Escape
Infidel

Escape was awesome!!! And anything by John Krakauer can't be beat. I have a copy if you wanna read it. Those are crazy folks!
I have a gun, bag, shovel & 10 acres. No one will miss you.

So who are you to wave your finger?
Who are you to wave your fatty fingers at me?
You must have been out your mind

#7 QOTSA

QOTSA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,347 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:57 AM

Ungodly: The Passions, Torments, and Murder of Atheist Madalyn Murray O'Hair
You see my mule don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it...

#8 matthewspiglet

matthewspiglet

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,196 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:12 AM

A boy called it. Its a true story.
Very interesting i can't believe some of the things that happened in the book.Then after reading that one there the after it called The lost boy.

#9 footballbeerchic

footballbeerchic

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,276 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:15 AM

QUOTE (matthewspiglet @ Oct 28 2009, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very interesting i can't believe some of the things that happened in the book.Then after reading that one there the after it called The lost boy.

I can't even look at these books. Horrifying what happened. I refuse to read them but my sister did and she knows how sensitive I am and told me not to do it.

#10 *Topic Closer*

*Topic Closer*

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:16 AM

I read it but have yet to read the lost boy. I ready A boy called it atleast 3 times. It's just so surreal. I cried most of the book but couldn't pull away from it.

#11 matthewspiglet

matthewspiglet

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,196 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:21 AM

QUOTE (Living and luving it @ Oct 28 2009, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I read it but have yet to read the lost boy. I ready A boy called it atleast 3 times. It's just so surreal. I cried most of the book but couldn't pull away from it.

Me 2. I would read it at night when my kids where in the bed. I would get up and go in their room and kiss and hug them. Thanking God for them.

#12 footballbeerchic

footballbeerchic

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,276 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:25 AM

I'd be scarred for life sad.gif

#13 *Topic Closer*

*Topic Closer*

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:28 AM

QUOTE (matthewspiglet @ Oct 28 2009, 12:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Me 2. I would read it at night when my kids where in the bed. I would get up and go in their room and kiss and hug them. Thanking God for them.

It's unimaginable to me how a mother...or anyone for that matter, could do the things she did to her child. I'm getting digusted thinking about it and haven't read it in years.

#14 AtlantaBry

AtlantaBry

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:01 PM

QUOTE (footballbeerchic @ Oct 28 2009, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Escape was awesome!!! And anything by John Krakauer can't be beat. I have a copy if you wanna read it. Those are crazy folks!

Who wrote Escape?

#15 QOTSA

QOTSA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,347 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:04 PM

Carolyn Jessop

#16 matthewspiglet

matthewspiglet

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,196 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:06 PM

QUOTE (footballbeerchic @ Oct 28 2009, 12:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd be scarred for life sad.gif

It's so sad. How bad he wanted to please his mother and she just pushed him away.

#17 brown*eyed*girl

brown*eyed*girl

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:32 PM

Here are a few suggestions of books I thought were great:

The Glass Castle
The Help
A Thousand Splendid Suns

As far as mysteries go I think that series with the numbers is pretty good. I think it's by James Patterson. 1st to Die, 2nd Chance, the 3 Horseman, 4th of July, etc... They had a TV show for a while based on it called The Womens Murder Club or something like that. I didn't connect the two so by the time I discovered the show it was canceled.

Oh and I haven't read this since high school but I remember a biography called Mommy Dearest that was pretty interesting. I'm not sure if I would think the same today.

You know I've heard of this book but never have read it. It sounds like the kind of book I'd well, enjoy isn't exactly the word I'm looking for but well it sounds like something I would read.

#18 brown*eyed*girl

brown*eyed*girl

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:36 PM

QUOTE (thebookworm @ Oct 28 2009, 11:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightime by Mark Haddon
Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Any Jodi Picoult books (prepare for intensity and crying in most)
Wicked by Gregory Maguire
The Shack by William Young

I've read several of her books but the ones I liked the best were My Sisters Keeper, The Pact and her new book. However I did find the ending of her new book a little predictable after having read several of her other books. And even if you've seen the movie My Sisters Keeper you should read the book.

#19 matthewspiglet

matthewspiglet

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,196 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:37 PM

Night in the Lonesome October. very crazy wired book. blink.gif

#20 Curious Scorpio

Curious Scorpio

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:55 PM

QUOTE (QOTSA @ Oct 28 2009, 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ungodly: The Passions, Torments, and Murder of Atheist Madalyn Murray O'Hair

And why would you be reading this? You are just ASKING for trouble on here, ya know! (but not from me!)
"Believe in Nothing, No matter where you read it, or who has said it - not even if I have said it - unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." --The Buddha

Don't be so heavenly minded that you are no earthly good. -- Feelip

#21 QOTSA

QOTSA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,347 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:59 PM

Why not? Why would that get me into trouble? Why would I care? True crime is true crime.

#22 Curious Scorpio

Curious Scorpio

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE (QOTSA @ Oct 28 2009, 01:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why not? Why would that get me into trouble? Why would I care? True crime is true crime.

Oh, absolutely! But, it's the victim of the crime, and the title of the book. Aethiesm is a minority in this county, I'm sure. I have always thought her death to be an interesting mystery. Did they EVER find the bodies? I saw a program on tv about her a while back. I don't think they answered that question. dry.gif
"Believe in Nothing, No matter where you read it, or who has said it - not even if I have said it - unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." --The Buddha

#23 QOTSA

QOTSA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,347 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 01:05 PM

Yes, it's all in the book. It also goes into her background.

#24 Curious Scorpio

Curious Scorpio

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 01:13 PM

QUOTE (QOTSA @ Oct 28 2009, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, it's all in the book. It also goes into her background.

Sounds like a really good read. I love mysteries, and I sometimes will get a true crime. Not often. But I'll have to look this one up. Thanks for the suggestion!! And the friendly banter! biggrin.gif

#25 *Topic Closer*

*Topic Closer*

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 01:26 PM

QUOTE (brown*eyed*girl @ Oct 28 2009, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here are a few suggestions of books I thought were great:

The Glass Castle
The Help
A Thousand Splendid Suns

As far as mysteries go I think that series with the numbers is pretty good. I think it's by James Patterson. 1st to Die, 2nd Chance, the 3 Horseman, 4th of July, etc... They had a TV show for a while based on it called The Womens Murder Club or something like that. I didn't connect the two so by the time I discovered the show it was canceled.

Oh and I haven't read this since high school but I remember a biography called Mommy Dearest that was pretty interesting. I'm not sure if I would think the same today.

You know I've heard of this book but never have read it. It sounds like the kind of book I'd well, enjoy isn't exactly the word I'm looking for but well it sounds like something I would read.

I know EXACTLY what you mean. I tend to say " i would love that" when i don't mean it like that. It's hard to explain when you are referencing books like that but i understand smile.gif

Is Mommy Dearest the same as the movie? I believe it was a true story as well, so maybe they are the same.

#26 *Topic Closer*

*Topic Closer*

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE (QOTSA @ Oct 28 2009, 01:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True Crime is ALWAYS intriguing to me. To try to understand the mindset of the things some people do and go through, it really puts your mind in a different world. (I'm sure there was a better word to use there. lol)

#27 AtlantaBry

AtlantaBry

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 01:57 PM

True, that James Patterson series is excellent. Once you read one, you are hooked.

#28 MrsB

MrsB

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 02:02 PM

QUOTE (Living and luving it @ Oct 28 2009, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
True Crime is ALWAYS intriguing to me. To try to understand the mindset of the things some people do and go through, it really puts your mind in a different world. (I'm sure there was a better word to use there. lol)

I like true crime books, too. My favorite true crime author is Anne Rule. She goes into the history, mental state, and foresics of the cases. Of course she details the actual crime, the way she writes is a lot easier to handle than some others that are out there. She is awesome. I've read all of her books so I can't tell you a specific one - they are all good.

Also, there are two mentioned here that I forgot about:

The Kite Runner & A Thousand Splendid Suns

Those are both wonderful books. I cried when I read the first one.

#29 msflyfisher

msflyfisher

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE (AtlantaBry @ Oct 28 2009, 10:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anything by Stuart Woods. He is an Author w/ Georgia ties and I have been reading his books one right after the other. Ohe of his older books "Chiefs" is really good and based in Georgia. Also he has a line of Stone Barrington novels which are among the best around.

DITTO - you can't go wrong with Stuart Woods and especially the Stone Barrington series.

Posted Image">

In Loving Memory of My Mother
Carol Bramlett
Nov 24, 1943 - Jul 6, 2009

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics