39 replies to this topic

#1 dumbestgirlintheworld

dumbestgirlintheworld

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,893 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 06:32 PM

I read a couple of books this week, one was 'The Traveler's Gift', by Andy Andrews. It's very good, but it does have some Christian overtones (in case that offends you). It's basically about the 7 principles of success and never giving up. Once you finish, they ask you to read each principle in the morning and at night for 21 days. I'll let you know if I'm changed...in 7 months.

The second is 'The Noticer', also by Andy Andrews. This one was life changing. It's about perspective - how a shift in your perspective can change the very essence, condition, of a situation. It was amazing. Told in heart warming short stories woven together by the same endearing main character...I cried the whole way through - most of it on a plane next to a stranger. It's not very often that I find a book that has a great message, wonderful characters, and most importantly, at least one thing that every single person can relate to.

I actually referenced it in conversations several times over the weekend.

Anyways...I'm looking to start a new book, but I want to keep with the religious/spiritual/inspirational fiction theme, so if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

#2 footballbeerchic

footballbeerchic

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,276 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 06:35 PM

hmm, I'm reading the Informant right now. I'm not into religion, of any sort...
I have a gun, bag, shovel & 10 acres. No one will miss you.

So who are you to wave your finger?
Who are you to wave your fatty fingers at me?
You must have been out your mind

#3 miracle mom

miracle mom

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 06:36 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. They sound like they are right down my alley! I am reading the new Dan Brown book right now and am having trouble putting it down.
I don't just believe in miracles, I rely on them!

#4 tuscanytrailer

tuscanytrailer

Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 06:59 PM

Have you read "The Shack"?
It's a fiction book but has some good lessons in life!

#5 dumbestgirlintheworld

dumbestgirlintheworld

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,893 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:07 PM

QUOTE (tuscanytrailer @ Oct 26 2009, 07:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep...it was super enjoyable!

#6 kyro

kyro

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:19 PM

Love that book!

#7 NC-17

NC-17

loud pipes save lives

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,151 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:51 PM

richard bach is about as spiritual as i get, but i'd recommend jonathan livingston seagull to anyone.

#8 EJ78

EJ78

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE (tuscanytrailer @ Oct 26 2009, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I loved it as well. I was actually thinking of trying to mail my copy to the Mom of the Somer Thompson in Florida....you just never know how it would be taken though, and I wouldnt want to upset her any more than she already is.

#9 MsGaStorm

MsGaStorm

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:57 PM

I guess I am the only one who usually reads medical books? Currently I am reading "The Medical Detectives" by Berton Roueche'. It has several stories of unusual illnesses, rare diseases, etc. and how the culprit to each was found.

"Either fate IS funny or God has a FANTASTIC sense of humor!!" - Me

"We live as though the world were as it should be, to show it what it can be." - Angel

#10 dumbestgirlintheworld

dumbestgirlintheworld

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,893 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE (MsGaStorm @ Oct 26 2009, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I guess I am the only one who usually reads medical books? Currently I am reading "The Medical Detectives" by Berton Roueche'. It has several stories of unusual illnesses, rare diseases, etc. and how the culprit to each was found.

Nooo way! I don't want to know!

#11 brown*eyed*girl

brown*eyed*girl

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:03 PM

Not a religious book but I read about 25 books this summer and my favorite was "The Help". I'll have to add your suggestions to my list. I have a stack of about 12 books a local librarian has given me to read but I am having trouble finding the time to get to them and still keep up with what the kids are reading.

#12 footballbeerchic

footballbeerchic

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,276 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 08:32 AM

I read that also. Have you ever read STIFF?? I have it if you'd like to read it. Pretty interesting.

#13 Oh No Its Me

Oh No Its Me

I'm a ninja!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,821 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 08:35 AM

QUOTE (footballbeerchic @ Oct 26 2009, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hmm, I'm reading the Informant right now. I'm not into religion, of any sort...

good.gif

I've been debating finding a good book and spending more time reading, not that I have much free time laugh.gif

I'm into the true crime type stuff, history, crime fiction....boring stuff I guess. laugh.gif

If you didn't see it with your own eyes or hear it with you own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

#14 NC-17

NC-17

loud pipes save lives

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,151 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 08:39 AM

QUOTE (Oh No Its Me @ Oct 27 2009, 09:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
good.gif

I've been debating finding a good book and spending more time reading, not that I have much free time laugh.gif

I'm into the true crime type stuff, history, crime fiction....boring stuff I guess. laugh.gif

i just finished are you there alone, the unspeakable crimes of andrea yates.

not really a who done it, but a great exploration/explanation of the psychology behind her doing it. pretty good read.

#15 ScapeGoat

ScapeGoat

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 08:45 AM

QUOTE (Oh No Its Me @ Oct 27 2009, 09:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
good.gif

Hoochie, you need to call me then. I have a ton of true crime, murder mystery, and detective books I have finished. You are welcome to any of em. Well,, maybe not all of em, since a few are Tabby's. unsure.gif
If I throw a stick will you leave??.

Look, you half a$$ed, over opinionated, misinformed, semi-literate, insolent, inconsiderate, ungrateful jackasses, take your Christian baiting, Bush bashing, grammatically incorrect, misspelled, ill-punctuated questions and comments and find somewhere else to play!!!.

#16 mrshoward

mrshoward

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,675 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 08:54 AM

Try "The Brain That Changes Itself"... fascinating. wink.gif

A man must be excessively stupid, as well as uncharitable,
who believes that there is no virtue but on his own side, and that there
are not men as honest as himself who may differ from him in political principles.

- Joseph Addison

#17 dumbestgirlintheworld

dumbestgirlintheworld

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,893 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:01 AM

QUOTE (NC-17 @ Oct 27 2009, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

not really a who done it, but a great exploration/explanation of the psychology behind her doing it. pretty good read.

I am completely facinated by psychology and psychological conditions - but I can read or watch anything that involves harm to children. I'm sure that there's all kinds of "reasons" that she did it, but I don't want to hear about it. It makes me furious that they never held her husband responsible as he was clearly an accessory - or at minimum, guilty of child endangerment. Make my blood boil, really.

#18 thebookworm

thebookworm

Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:02 AM

I was going to suggest that as well, our book club is reading that for our January meeting. Anyone want to join us?

Have you liked us yet??? Take a chance to win FREE books at our store if you do! http://www.facebook....m.PowderSprings
The Book Worm Bookstore
4451 Marietta Street
Powder Springs, GA 30127
(770) 439-2029
http://www.TheBookWormOnline.com
Monday - Saturday 10:00am - 6:00pm

#19 *Topic Closer*

*Topic Closer*

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:03 AM

Edited by Living and luving it, 27 October 2009 - 09:05 AM.

#20 ScapeGoat

ScapeGoat

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:06 AM

i read that as well. It was a damn good read. Really does give a good insight to her thought process through the whole ordeal.

Look, you half a$$ed, over opinionated, misinformed, semi-literate, insolent, inconsiderate, ungrateful jackasses, take your Christian baiting, Bush bashing, grammatically incorrect, misspelled, ill-punctuated questions and comments and find somewhere else to play!!!.

#21 thebookworm

thebookworm

Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:06 AM

QUOTE (GEAgirl @ Oct 26 2009, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I read a couple of books this week, one was 'The Traveler's Gift', by Andy Andrews. It's very good, but it does have some Christian overtones (in case that offends you). It's basically about the 7 principles of success and never giving up. Once you finish, they ask you to read each principle in the morning and at night for 21 days. I'll let you know if I'm changed...in 7 months.

The second is 'The Noticer', also by Andy Andrews. This one was life changing. It's about perspective - how a shift in your perspective can change the very essence, condition, of a situation. It was amazing. Told in heart warming short stories woven together by the same endearing main character...I cried the whole way through - most of it on a plane next to a stranger. It's not very often that I find a book that has a great message, wonderful characters, and most importantly, at least one thing that every single person can relate to.

I actually referenced it in conversations several times over the weekend.

Anyways...I'm looking to start a new book, but I want to keep with the religious/spiritual/inspirational fiction theme, so if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

We have a great selection of Christian Fiction at the store. The top selling authors you might want to try are Beverly Lewis, Dee Henderson, Karen Kingsbury and Francine Rivers.

Have you liked us yet??? Take a chance to win FREE books at our store if you do! http://www.facebook....m.PowderSprings
The Book Worm Bookstore
4451 Marietta Street
Powder Springs, GA 30127
(770) 439-2029

#22 Go BLUE!

Go BLUE!

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,233 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:09 AM

I'm reading this one right now....

The Man Comes Around: The Spiritual Journey of Johnny Cash By Dave Urbanski

Its a great read and gives guys like me a little bit of hope. laugh.gif

Posted Image
"If heaven ain't a lot like Detroit, I don't wanna go....if they ain't got no 8 Mile like they do up in the D, then send me to hell or Salt Lake City it would be about the same to me." - Uncle Kracker

#23 Haunted Junkyard Hayride

Haunted Junkyard Hayride

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:15 AM

QUOTE (MotorCity MadMan @ Oct 27 2009, 09:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm reading this one right now....

The Man Comes Around: The Spiritual Journey of Johnny Cash By Dave Urbanski

Its a great read and gives guys like me a little bit of hope. laugh.gif

Oh, I love Johnny Cash. I'm gonna have to find that one. He was a good man with a lot of spiritual/fleshly battles.

I'm gonna check out your recommendations, too, GEAgirl. I'm reading The Emperor's Children right now, which is the STUPIDEST book I've ever read in my life, so I need something refreshing.
Xtreme Tree Worx & Meth Alliance of Paulding present...
HAUNTED JUNKYARD HAYRIDE 2009!!!!
At the old Alsobrook Junkyard at Hwy 92 & Ridge Rd in Hiram
Every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday in OCTOBER!

www.hauntedjunkyard.net

#24 dumbestgirlintheworld

dumbestgirlintheworld

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,893 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:15 AM

QUOTE (ScapeGoat @ Oct 27 2009, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i read that as well. It was a damn good read. Really does give a good insight to her thought process through the whole ordeal.

So how in depth do they go into the actual crime? I don't want to read a play by play...

#25 NC-17

NC-17

loud pipes save lives

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,151 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:22 AM

QUOTE (GEAgirl @ Oct 27 2009, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So how in depth do they go into the actual crime? I don't want to read a play by play...

it's written by a reporter. excerpts of the interviews are included.

#26 ScapeGoat

ScapeGoat

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:25 AM

QUOTE (GEAgirl @ Oct 27 2009, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, The murder and the trail are pretty graphically described in this book. The author really doesn't hold any thing back & it damn near reads like a horror novel. Not for the weak. Seriously.

#27 kasteroil

kasteroil

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:30 AM

i read the shack and would recommend it as well, if you are looking for a deeply spiritual book
ridding the world of constipation...by the way, i am not who you think i am.
Posted Image

#28 dumbestgirlintheworld

dumbestgirlintheworld

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,893 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:59 AM

QUOTE (ScapeGoat @ Oct 27 2009, 10:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, The murder and the trail are pretty graphically described in this book. The author really doesn't hold any thing back & it damn near reads like a horror novel. Not for the weak. Seriously.

OK, so you and NC-17 have completely different views of the graphicness!

kasteroil, "deeply spiritual"? Deepak Chopra is "deeply spiritual"...laugh.gif

#29 NC-17

NC-17

loud pipes save lives

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,151 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:12 AM

QUOTE (GEAgirl @ Oct 27 2009, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK, so you and NC-17 have completely different views of the graphicness!

kasteroil, "deeply spiritual"? Deepak Chopra is "deeply spiritual"...laugh.gif

nothing was glorified. just presented in a factual way. including her mental illness.

the news is just as graphic, but rarely tells more than 1/3 of the story.

#30 dumbestgirlintheworld

dumbestgirlintheworld

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,893 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:18 AM

QUOTE (NC-17 @ Oct 27 2009, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
nothing was glorified. just presented in a factual way. including her mental illness.

the news is just as graphic, but rarely tells more than 1/3 of the story.

Maybe I'm not asking the right question...does it read like:

And then andrea took her 7 year old, as he was begging for his life, and pushed his face under the water. He thrashed and fought for his life, screaming and asking his mother why she would hurt him. Hhis 45lb body eventually succumbed to the water filling his lungs and rested near his 2 year old sister, already lifeless in the luke warm bath water.

Cause this crap times 7 or 5 or however many kids she killed will kill me. I would, however, LOVE to read about her psychological stuff.

#31 NC-17

NC-17

loud pipes save lives

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,151 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:20 AM

QUOTE (GEAgirl @ Oct 27 2009, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe I'm not asking the right question...does it read like:

And then andrea took her 7 year old, as he was begging for his life, and pushed his face under the water. He thrashed and fought for his life, screaming and asking his mother why she would hurt him. Hhis 45lb body eventually succumbed to the water filling his lungs and rested near his 2 year old sister, already lifeless in the luke warm bath water.

Cause this crap times 7 or 5 or however many kids she killed will kill me. I would, however, LOVE to read about her psychological stuff.

the interviews are published. not someone's synopsis of the events.

#32 ScapeGoat

ScapeGoat

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:30 AM

QUOTE (NC-17 @ Oct 27 2009, 11:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the interviews are published. not someone's synopsis of the events.

Ed Zachary.

The fact is that this was a horrible crime. It is graphic. Not embellished. Just told as it is.

#33 LadybugLove

LadybugLove

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:35 AM

QUOTE (thebookworm @ Oct 27 2009, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was going to suggest that as well, our book club is reading that for our January meeting. Anyone want to join us?

I am currently reading "The Shack" about half way through it.

#34 Oh No Its Me

Oh No Its Me

I'm a ninja!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,821 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:43 AM

Ohh thanks!! I'm going to look for that, that case has always been some what interesting. I feel so bad for those poor kids.

QUOTE (ScapeGoat @ Oct 27 2009, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hoochie, you need to call me then. I have a ton of true crime, murder mystery, and detective books I have finished. You are welcome to any of em. Well,, maybe not all of em, since a few are Tabby's. unsure.gif

I don't want yer Hustler magazines tongue.gif

Just kidding....I'll gladly read what yer done with smile.gif wub.gif

If you didn't see it with your own eyes or hear it with you own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

#35 ScapeGoat

ScapeGoat

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE (Oh No Its Me @ Oct 27 2009, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ohh thanks!! I'm going to look for that, that case has always been some what interesting. I feel so bad for those poor kids.

I don't want yer Hustler magazines tongue.gif

Just kidding....I'll gladly read what yer done with smile.gif wub.gif

Well dammit man, what the hell am I supposed to do wif the Hustler's now? dry.gif

#36 footballbeerchic

footballbeerchic

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,276 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:34 AM

QUOTE (ScapeGoat @ Oct 27 2009, 11:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well dammit man, what the hell am I supposed to do wif the Hustler's now? dry.gif

decoupage??

#37 thebookworm

thebookworm

Icon

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,470 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:10 PM

QUOTE (ladybug1 @ Oct 27 2009, 11:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am currently reading "The Shack" about half way through it.

If interested in joining the book club meeting, it is January 12th at 7:15pm at our bookstore.
Susan
The Book Worm Bookstore
4451 Marietta Street
Powder Springs, GA 30127
(770) 439-2029

#38 ScapeGoat

ScapeGoat

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:27 PM

QUOTE (footballbeerchic @ Oct 27 2009, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
decoupage??

laugh.gif

#39 The Sound Guy

The Sound Guy

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,890 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:33 PM

QUOTE (NC-17 @ Oct 26 2009, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
richard bach is about as spiritual as i get, but i'd recommend jonathan livingston seagull to anyone.

You know, I've heard about Seagull forever, but never read it. I loved his book "Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah".

Found "The Shack" to be quite thought provoking, nothing like I thought it would be.

SG

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln

DISCLAIMER: The information and opinions expressed in this post are not necessarily the opinions of the author and may be denied or disregarded at a later date. Reading of this paragraph constitutes as agreement on part of reader not to hold author responsible for any damaging effects resulting from reading and agreeing with anything said in this post; furthermore reader waives all future claims resulting from changes in law which may render this disclaimer null and void. This disclaimer is valid in all states with the exception of those states which have laws forbidding the existence of this disclaimer, and in states where such laws exist the reader agrees to read this disclaimer in a state where this disclaimer is binding.

#40 dumbestgirlintheworld

dumbestgirlintheworld

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,893 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:45 PM

So, I ended up picking up Pat Conroy's 'South of Broad'. Love him....

Went in to Target to return stuff and break even...ended up dropping an ADDITIONAL $60. UGH.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics