#1 Taylor's P.A.L.S.

Taylor's P.A.L.S.

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 10:50 PM

Updated: Sunday, Oct. 25th

I attended a meeting recently and heard Mark Roithmayr, the President of Autism Speaks say that new research will be coming from the CDC in the very near future with new numbers for autism... 1 in EVERY 91 children is affected with autism in some way. (Comparing this to when Taylor was diagnosed 10 years ago, it was 1 in 1,000! WOW!) He gave an account of where the funds go from all the various fundraisers. It was amazing to hear what all they are doing for adults & children with autism. They are working tirelessly to get reform for insurance companies to cover our children who need therapy. Connecticut (the insurance state of the world as he explained it) has voted in laws regarding this.. and the word is that other states should be following their example... They are soooo close to having an awareness campaign that will be worldwide... bringing awareness which hopefully brings understanding and acceptance to those who have autism, as well as, additional programs & services. They are starting a HUGE focus on adults with autism... as there must be programs in place to help our children as they get older... and for those who have already reached adulthood.

Now, the REALLY exciting part! In the near future, there will be a national consortium.. on close circuit. Small groups of people will be gathering in various locations around the US to discuss adults with autism.... and to create a policy agenda. Autism Speaks has LONGGGG arms in Washington at this time and feel with the support they have there, that's it "our" time to get the support and help for those with autism. They are aggressively pursuing this. In Georgia, there will be a group of 50 representatives that will gather at Georgia Tech and discuss the issues as they affect us in our state... housing, jobs, recreation, friends, supportive communities, and more. This is a time where concerns will be placed on the table and discussed with the various other locations... to form a policy agenda for making things happen nationwide! Representatives attending will be a mixture of those who have autism, parents, & service providers.

THIS IS IMPORTANT FOR OUR CHILDREN AND ADULTS WHO HAVE AUTISM! If you have an adult child with autism... I NEED TO HEAR FROM YOU! What have been your battles... what needs to be done to improve the quality of your child's life... transitioning issues into adulthood.... If you are a parent of a child who hasn't reached adulthood... I NEED TO HEAR FROM YOU! What are your concerns for the future.. .what are your issues now.... I need stories to share! PLEASE pm me and send me your phone number if you would be willing to talk to me.... I know there are MANY frustrated parents out there... now's the time to talk about it! If you are a service provider, I NEED TO HEAR FROM YOU! This is a HUGE step in getting the help our children and adults need... We have the opportunity to be heard.. let's do it!!!! I'll be one of five people representing Autism Speaks of Georgia... I look forward to hearing from you soon and NEED to hear from you!!!

Also, I asked the Executive Director of the Marcus Institute if they had a scholarship program that would help families who could not pay for evaluations. He says they do.. but have long waiting lists.. however, for some families, this is better than nothing when there is no alternative for testing. Just wanted to let anyone know that might need the information.
Taylor's P.A.L.S., Inc.
770-861-5704

Promoting Acceptance, Lending Support for Special Needs Children

For more information check out our website at www.taylorspals.com

#2 Taylor's P.A.L.S.

Taylor's P.A.L.S.

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:41 PM

Anyone else have any concerns or questions????
Taylor's P.A.L.S., Inc.
770-861-5704

#3 Lady Raider

Lady Raider

Super Icon

• +MPS extra
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77,704 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 10:15 AM

sounds like a great opportunity
"The most dangerous place in the world to be is "Between a Mother and her Child"

Posted Image

In Loving Memory of My Daddy and Mama
3-29-08
and 10-24-2012

*say what you mean, and mean what you say*

#4 Taylor's P.A.L.S.

Taylor's P.A.L.S.

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 03:13 PM

Hoping to hear from you! Please read the first post!!
Taylor's P.A.L.S., Inc.
770-861-5704

#5 myangel107

myangel107

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 03:30 PM

My sister in law has a child with autism I am passing your information along to her now... I know shes had a lot of issues this school year alone... He is in 1st grade...

Arguing with a fool proves there are two.
Doris M. Smith

#6 Taylor's P.A.L.S.

Taylor's P.A.L.S.

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 03:33 PM

QUOTE (myangel107 @ Oct 25 2009, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My sister in law has a child with autism I am passing your information along to her now... I know shes had a lot of issues this school year alone... He is in 1st grade...

I hope she will contact me..... thank you!
Taylor's P.A.L.S., Inc.
770-861-5704

#7 Taylor's P.A.L.S.

Taylor's P.A.L.S.

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:33 PM

Time is running out before the conference.... I need to hear from those that have an interest in someone who has autism!!
Taylor's P.A.L.S., Inc.
770-861-5704

#8 jdabbs65

jdabbs65

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:36 AM

Are you going to the meeting yourself?

<!--quoteo(post=2966897:date=Oct 25 2009, 03:30 PM:name=myangel107)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (myangel107 @ Oct 25 2009, 03:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2966897"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My sister in law has a child with autism I am passing your information along to her now... I know shes had a lot of issues this school year alone... He is in 1st grade...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I hope she will contact me..... thank you!

jdabbs65@hotmail.com

#9 Taylor's P.A.L.S.

Taylor's P.A.L.S.

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 10:34 PM

Are you going to the meeting yourself?

Yes, I am. Autism Speaks has 5 seats to fill, and I was asked to be one of them.
Taylor's P.A.L.S., Inc.
770-861-5704

#10 Taylor's P.A.L.S.

Taylor's P.A.L.S.

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:52 AM

This Friday is the meeting... If you have any thoughts, concerns, ideas relating to the future of our children who have autism or the adults who are dealing with autism now, please contact me....
Taylor's P.A.L.S., Inc.
770-861-5704

#11 Construction Teacher

Construction Teacher

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:09 AM

This Friday is the meeting... If you have any thoughts, concerns, ideas relating to the future of our children who have autism or the adults who are dealing with autism now, please contact me....

You know my concerns...advocacy, long waiting lists, non-profit funding, etc...
I got your back Miss Cindy. :good:
They give you any problem just let me know and I'll put a knot on someones head for you. <_<
Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
Reputation is what men and women think of us; character is what God and angels know of us.
Thomas Paine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics