31 replies to this topic

#1 jdabbs65

jdabbs65

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:13 AM

Anyone that has an Autistic child or adult in their family really needs to attend the get together at Dallas Theater in Dallas at 6:00 pm Nov. 3rd . One of the major goals of this event is to be able to organize a network of friends for individuals with special needs that get together weekly with others like themselves and to develop somewhat of a social life, in turn providing support, positive emotions and boosting self esteem through friends. Many children who suffer from Autism often feel very lonely that they are not part of anything, which in turn adds depression and anger. I am trying to help these people but I can't do it alone. (There would be no one to help ohmy.gif ) There is not going to be a cost for these groups either. Come to the meeting on Nov 3rd there will be a lot of important info and help me help you!
jdabbs65@hotmail.com

#2 Construction Teacher

Construction Teacher

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 02:05 PM

QUOTE (jdabbs65 @ Oct 20 2009, 07:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone that has an Autistic child or adult in their family really needs to attend the get together at Dallas Theater in Dallas at 6:00 pm Nov. 3rd . One of the major goals of this event is to be able to organize a network of friends for individuals with special needs that get together weekly with others like themselves and to develop somewhat of a social life, in turn providing support, positive emotions and boosting self esteem through friends. Many children who suffer from Autism often feel very lonely that they are not part of anything, which in turn adds depression and anger. I am trying to help these people but I can't do it alone. (There would be no one to help ohmy.gif ) There is not going to be a cost for these groups either. Come to the meeting on Nov 3rd there will be a lot of important info and help me help you!

If you know of someone who has a child that is autistic, has down syndrome, or any other unique ability, this could be the start of something good and will help bring awareness to this population of our community. This sort of advocacy and support can affect bigger and better outcomes at the gold dome. These kids deserve all that we can get for them. Whether it be in the form of education and entertainment for siblings of special needs (and these brothers and sisters put up with a lot at times. LOL!) or a summer camp for a special needs child. Please come out and help support this effort even if you aren't directly affected by someone with a disability.
Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
Reputation is what men and women think of us; character is what God and angels know of us.
Thomas Paine

#3 Construction Teacher

Construction Teacher

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:39 PM

Bump
Reputation is what men and women think of us; character is what God and angels know of us.
Thomas Paine

#4 love bug

love bug

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:27 PM

My son has highly funtioning Aspergers would he count?
[

#5 DONSGIRL

DONSGIRL

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:09 PM

I was just about to ask if Aspergers count cause my son has Aspergers and ADHD.

#6 Mrs G

Mrs G

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,571 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:21 PM

Anyone that has family or friend, with Autism really needs to go see Cindy at Taylor's P.A.L.S., her pcom screen name is ReadingRules!!!!!
Do unto others, as you'd have others do unto you!

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly and Leave The Rest To God.

Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behavior does!!

Helping a Neighbor in need, is a Blessing, indeed!!! 04/25/2013

#7 Taylor's P.A.L.S.

Taylor's P.A.L.S.

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE (Mrs G @ Oct 20 2009, 10:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone that has family or friend, with Autism really needs to go see Cindy at Taylor's P.A.L.S., her pcom screen name is ReadingRules!!!!!

Reading Rules is now.. Paulding Navigator Team smile.gif
Taylor's P.A.L.S., Inc.
770-861-5704

Promoting Acceptance, Lending Support for Special Needs Children

For more information check out our website at www.taylorspals.com

#8 Mrs G

Mrs G

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,571 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:45 PM

rut roh...................and you didn't tell me????????????? tongue.gif tongue.gif OK, I'll have to remember that.

Thanks
Do unto others, as you'd have others do unto you!

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly and Leave The Rest To God.

Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behavior does!!

Helping a Neighbor in need, is a Blessing, indeed!!! 04/25/2013

#9 Taylor's P.A.L.S.

Taylor's P.A.L.S.

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:46 PM

QUOTE (Mrs G @ Oct 20 2009, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
rut roh...................and you didn't tell me????????????? tongue.gif tongue.gif OK, I'll have to remember that.

Thanks

smile.gif
Taylor's P.A.L.S., Inc.
770-861-5704

#10 Madea

Madea

Diary of a Mad Black Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,484 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:55 PM

QUOTE (Mrs G @ Oct 20 2009, 11:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

wub.gif

QUOTE (Mrs G @ Oct 20 2009, 11:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks

I didn't know either!
And for the record, I am not/will not be in any way responsible for your child in any way, shape or form. You had this child, I did not. And if you get to judge me as a person then I get to judge you as a parent. ~Rockysmom (8/11/10)

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson.

Your judgments don't define me, they define you.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

"Justice cannot be for one side alone, but must be for both." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself."

#11 Construction Teacher

Construction Teacher

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 04:12 AM

Aspergers is a level of autism. ADHD is also considered a learning disability as it inhibits his ability to learn. The attention span and activity level is what needs the focus.
My son is ADHD. Super smart, but if he isn't on his meds his mind is racing and cannot focus on one structured thought.
I encourage all to attend this if you even THINK your child possibly benefit.
Thomas Paine

#12 jdabbs65

jdabbs65

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:19 AM

Yes most definitely!
Please come
jdabbs65@hotmail.com

#13 jdabbs65

jdabbs65

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:25 AM

Yes there will be a lot of info. I am also trying to set up a friend network. I am sure you will find this very useful. How old is your son?

QUOTE (DONSGIRL @ Oct 20 2009, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was just about to ask if Aspergers count cause my son has Aspergers and ADHD.

jdabbs65@hotmail.com

#14 jdabbs65

jdabbs65

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 08:54 PM

Please keep this event fresh in your minds and help spread the word! I now Have confirmed a special appearance by the Awsesome One Way Out Band yahoo.gif

quote name='Construction Teacher' date='Oct 20 2009, 03:05 PM' post='2960897']
If you know of someone who has a child that is autistic, has down syndrome, or any other unique ability, this could be the start of something good and will help bring awareness to this population of our community. This sort of advocacy and support can affect bigger and better outcomes at the gold dome. These kids deserve all that we can get for them. Whether it be in the form of education and entertainment for siblings of special needs (and these brothers and sisters put up with a lot at times. LOL!) or a summer camp for a special needs child. Please come out and help support this effort even if you aren't directly affected by someone with a disability.
[/quote]

jdabbs65@hotmail.com

#15 Taylor's P.A.L.S.

Taylor's P.A.L.S.

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:59 PM

I'm looking forward to attending this meeting and appreciate the opportunity! I am excited to be a part of it and want to help in any way that I can. For years, I've heard parents complain about the lack of programs and services in Paulding. There have been numerous attempts to start support groups to no avail. These are exciting days in Paulding and across Georgia! There are many possibilities for our children/teens/adults that we've never had before and more to come in the future! I really hope you all will come out to see what is available and what's being done to make a difference in the lives of those with special needs! NOW IS THE TIME... please be informed and supportive!!!!

jdabbs.. thank you for what you are doing... One person can do a lot, but together we can do so much more and I look forward to working with you!
Cindy
Taylor's P.A.L.S.
Taylor's P.A.L.S., Inc.
770-861-5704

#16 Harlee71

Harlee71

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 11:44 PM

QUOTE (Taylor's P.A.L.S. @ Oct 29 2009, 10:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm looking forward to attending this meeting and appreciate the opportunity! I am excited to be a part of it and want to help in any way that I can. For years, I've heard parents complain about the lack of programs and services in Paulding. There have been numerous attempts to start support groups to no avail. These are exciting days in Paulding and across Georgia! There are many possibilities for our children/teens/adults that we've never had before and more to come in the future! I really hope you all will come out to see what is available and what's being done to make a difference in the lives of those with special needs! NOW IS THE TIME... please be informed and supportive!!!!

jdabbs.. thank you for what you are doing... One person can do a lot, but together we can do so much more and I look forward to working with you!
Cindy
Taylor's P.A.L.S.

I have a teenage nephew with fragile X syndrome. I will mention this to his parents.

#17 jdabbs65

jdabbs65

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 08:39 PM

Please help spread the word. I have contacted the News (Three different ones) We want everyone to know how much Paulding County is trying to do for it's community. Hopefully that will bring more people willing to service our needs and hopefully donations to the organizations involved! Spread the word we need a full house!!! clapping.gif
jdabbs65@hotmail.com

#18 lumak

lumak

Super Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 09:16 PM

I am going to try and attend. I will not bring my daughter tho...she cannot handle crowds.

#19 Construction Teacher

Construction Teacher

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 10:19 PM

QUOTE (lumak @ Oct 30 2009, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am going to try and attend. I will not bring my daughter tho...she cannot handle crowds.

Not bringing my daughter either. Her senses get overstimulated and she usually throws a fit. Ever seen a conniption fit? Ya want to? LOL!
Should be an interesting meeting.
Thomas Paine

#20 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,337 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 10:59 PM

QUOTE (lumak @ Oct 30 2009, 10:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know how that is. I will be bringing my son but as my office is just across the street, I'll be able to corral him there if it becomes overwhelming.

Actually, though, my son seems to do better in crowds ... it kind of intimidates him and he is more likely to behave when there are a lot of folks around.

When there are just a few folks around, he thinks he can get away with stuff ... you know, sneak over the unguarded refrigerator and suck down a half-dozen 12-ounce cans of cola; walk in the QT and grab an arm full of donuts ... you know the important things.

But he's had some advantages with crowds having participated in special olympics (won gold but mostly bronze at equestrian events at Perry - ditto on the bronze at the state Special Olympics swim meet.) There's one for you. two years ago, a lot of the participants were on the apron next to the pool waiting for the event to begin. No one was to be in the water and they announced it.

Of course Austin gets down on the apron, ignores the statement on the loudspeaker that no on is to be in the water and instead, he hit it at a full run about six or seven feet out ... Seeing the coaches try to coax him out was funny as hell smile.gif

pubby

#21 jdabbs65

jdabbs65

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 04:23 PM

bump
jdabbs65@hotmail.com

#22 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,337 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 05:46 PM

In this topic on the OLD site ... one of the posts that was lost ... Nicholas Cole, seeing my description of my son's antics, posted this picture of Austin and noted that he enjoyed his session with the youngster.

Here's the picture: austinhughes.jpg

#23 Construction Teacher

Construction Teacher

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 11:02 AM

In this topic on the OLD site ... one of the posts that was lost ... Nicholas Cole, seeing my description of my son's antics, posted this picture of Austin and noted that he enjoyed his session with the youngster.

Here's the picture: austinhughes.jpg

He's a handsome young man Pubby
Thomas Paine

#24 jdabbs65

jdabbs65

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 04:39 PM

Don't forget to spread the word. We need as many people there as possible!!!
jdabbs65@hotmail.com

#25 Harlee71

Harlee71

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 12:34 PM

bump

#26 jdabbs65

jdabbs65

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 06:26 PM

:clapping: EVERYONE PLEASE PLEASE Pass the word. Has anyone heard people talking about this?? I heard a lot of people say they were going to be there. This is a really great thing for Paulding County. The more research I have done the more obvious as to how behind we are in this community for serving the people who need help. The larger the turn out the more services we are likely to bring into this community. The event is tomorrow night. There is a lot planned. Please join us :yahoo:
jdabbs65@hotmail.com

#27 Construction Teacher

Construction Teacher

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:00 PM

Hey jdabbs65,
Please correct me if I am wrong in stating this, but this not only involves those with disabilities such as down syndrome, autism, etc... This meeting is all inclusive of all disabilities whether it be mental, physical, or emotional. Doesn't matter if the person was born with it, acquired it progressively or became disabled as a result of an accident. If you even think you need to be there, then you should be. Help us help each other and help build an alliance and voice for those who can't necessarily speak up for themselves. (Okay, I'm stepping down off my soapbox now. :blush: )
Thomas Paine

#28 jdabbs65

jdabbs65

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:38 PM

I could not of said it better myself. You are awesome don't step down. Anyone with any type of behavioral disorder or mental disorder / developmental disorder or addiction. Very large range!!!! Everyone needs to be there and we need to fill that theater. The more we show in our community that we need this the more we will get out of it. Spread the word, we need all the help we can. I have a real nice order of events so it will be a very nice evening. :clapping:

Hey jdabbs65,
Please correct me if I am wrong in stating this, but this not only involves those with disabilities such as down syndrome, autism, etc... This meeting is all inclusive of all disabilities whether it be mental, physical, or emotional. Doesn't matter if the person was born with it, acquired it progressively or became disabled as a result of an accident. If you even think you need to be there, then you should be. Help us help each other and help build an alliance and voice for those who can't necessarily speak up for themselves. (Okay, I'm stepping down off my soapbox now. :blush: )

jdabbs65@hotmail.com

#29 jdabbs65

jdabbs65

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 07:50 AM

bump

I could not of said it better myself. You are awesome don't step down. Anyone with any type of behavioral disorder or mental disorder / developmental disorder or addiction. Very large range!!!! Everyone needs to be there and we need to fill that theater. The more we show in our community that we need this the more we will get out of it. Spread the word, we need all the help we can. I have a real nice order of events so it will be a very nice evening. :clapping:

jdabbs65@hotmail.com

#30 lumak

lumak

Super Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 08:19 AM

I have made arrangements so I can be at the meeting tonight. Now for the obvious question -- and those that know me will expect this -- where is the Dallas theater? :blush:

I am so completely directionally challenged :lol: Directions from EP and the Hwy 92 would be so much appreciated :wub:

#31 NCP

NCP

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:21 AM

I am changing the focus of my photographic business to work much more with children with special needs.

The business model for most photographic studios is shoot'em, get their money and move on to the next session.

With careful planning and understanding of the subject's needs, taking the time to work at their pace, great and moving portraits can be made of our friends with special needs.

I will be there tonight to show my support for this effort.

Ret._2092.jpg Chaolotte 4x5 LR_2847.jpg Ret.BW_2114.jpg
<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Nicholas Cole - Photographer</span>
www.NicholasColePhotographer.com
Historic Downtown Dallas
770-443-7355
Posted Image

#32 Sassy One

Sassy One

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 12:14 AM

I wasn't able to attend the meeting, but would be very interested in getting involved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics