Paulding.com

This deserves it's own topic

This is a reply I posted in a thread about MacFarlane's but I felt it deserved it's own topic because people need to understand that heresay and naysayers have a negative effect on real people and livelihoods. It's important that people read the truth.

The closures MacFarlane's has faced over the last couple of weeks is an issue, most likely related to all of the flooding, that Brandon has been trying to have fixed for several days. The city will not allow him to open until the situation is completely corrected. Basically all the water from the roof, from the back parking lot and any water that simply falls in the form of rain on the back patio drains into the storm drains that run under the back patio at Mac's. (Ever notice the manhole covers on the patio?)

So when it started raining two Sunday's ago the water quickly started running off from several places and water began coming in Brandon's back door. Eventually that water had to go somewhere. From what I understand some of it got into the septic tank and it is the general consensus that the septic pump may have failed. The field lines for the tank run out near City Hall which is a considerable distance from Mac's in terms of waste water drainage. They are trying to get it fixed, at Brandon's expense by the way. And for a problem that has kept him closed for three days this week and he was closed for four days due to the flooding, you can imagine that this has nearly wiped him out financially.

Rumor, innuendo and out right untruths and speculation do nothing to help his cause. Brandon is an honest hard working man. He does try very hard to please everyone. In the year that I've been working at MacFarlane's running karaoke, I've seen his dedication. I don't always agree with every decision made but as he has pointed out, you can't please everyone.

Basically in the current economic client, alcohol sales is one of the few things that isn't effected by the downturn. If Brandon is to stay in business, he needs to focus on what will make the most money. Right now that's alcohol sales and catering to a strictly adult crowd. Food service is an expensive venture, and the crowds have been smaller lately than what he can afford. So the decision was made to make MacFarlane's a true 21+ Pub.

Nothing has changed other than the age limit and that smoking is allowed in the bar area (not in the dining room). I am hopeful that Brandon will survive this round of unfortunate circumstances and will be around for years to come. If small businesses like MacFarlane's don't succeed and prosper it's bad for everyone. Small business is the backbone of the local economy. Your support is crucial and appreciated.

I have enjoyed my time with a good number of folks from Pcom that have come out to Spotlight Karaoke at MacFarlane's for the past year. I hope we have many more years of great times together. Watch for updates. I'm hopeful to be back in business running Trivia Tuesday night and kicking off another great set of Spotlight Karaoke shows starting Wednesday.

I know I speak for Brandon and the entire MacFarlane's staff when I say we appreciate your support and it is our goal to provide you the highest quality entertainment and hospitality.

Thanks for listening.

Mark

This is a reply I posted in a thread about MacFarlane's but I felt it deserved it's own topic because people need to understand that heresay and naysayers have a negative effect on real people and livelihoods. It's important that people read the truth.

The closures MacFarlane's has faced over the last couple of weeks is an issue, most likely related to all of the flooding, that Brandon has been trying to have fixed for several days. The city will not allow him to open until the situation is completely corrected. Basically all the water from the roof, from the back parking lot and any water that simply falls in the form of rain on the back patio drains into the storm drains that run under the back patio at Mac's. (Ever notice the manhole covers on the patio?)

So when it started raining two Sunday's ago the water quickly started running off from several places and water began coming in Brandon's back door. Eventually that water had to go somewhere. From what I understand some of it got into the septic tank and it is the general consensus that the septic pump may have failed. The field lines for the tank run out near City Hall which is a considerable distance from Mac's in terms of waste water drainage. They are trying to get it fixed, at Brandon's expense by the way. And for a problem that has kept him closed for three days this week and he was closed for four days due to the flooding, you can imagine that this has nearly wiped him out financially.

Rumor, innuendo and out right untruths and speculation do nothing to help his cause. Brandon is an honest hard working man. He does try very hard to please everyone. In the year that I've been working at MacFarlane's running karaoke, I've seen his dedication. I don't always agree with every decision made but as he has pointed out, you can't please everyone.

Basically in the current economic client, alcohol sales is one of the few things that isn't effected by the downturn. If Brandon is to stay in business, he needs to focus on what will make the most money. Right now that's alcohol sales and catering to a strictly adult crowd. Food service is an expensive venture, and the crowds have been smaller lately than what he can afford. So the decision was made to make MacFarlane's a true 21+ Pub.

Nothing has changed other than the age limit and that smoking is allowed in the bar area (not in the dining room). I am hopeful that Brandon will survive this round of unfortunate circumstances and will be around for years to come. If small businesses like MacFarlane's don't succeed and prosper it's bad for everyone. Small business is the backbone of the local economy. Your support is crucial and appreciated.

I have enjoyed my time with a good number of folks from Pcom that have come out to Spotlight Karaoke at MacFarlane's for the past year. I hope we have many more years of great times together. Watch for updates. I'm hopeful to be back in business running Trivia Tuesday night and kicking off another great set of Spotlight Karaoke shows starting Wednesday.

I know I speak for Brandon and the entire MacFarlane's staff when I say we appreciate your support and it is our goal to provide you the highest quality entertainment and hospitality.

Thanks for listening.

Mark

Excellent post Mark. I am a firm believer that we all need to be supportive of our community and its businesses. I have to say that I have been a "slacker" when it comes to MacFarlane's as we are out of town frequently and I have always thought that since we live on the other end of the county, it was a little far to drive - I won't let that stand in my way any longer. It does appear that the owners of MacFarlane's are trying so very hard to please their customers and do the right thing - they have simply just had some bad luck lately with issues that are beyond their control.

Small businesses like MacFarlane's are vital to our community and I wish MacFarlane's, as well as all of our local businesses, the very best!

Thank you guys. As long as you get the point I'm trying to make that's all I can ask. Keep your fingers crossed that things will work themselves out by Monday so we can go on with business as usual. And we hope to see as many of you guys that can come in the coming weeks. It's getting cold outside but it's always warm and friendly at MacFarlane's.

Bummer that it's not family friendly anymore. That knocks us out. It does seem to draw a more adult clientelle so I understand the decision. Hopefully they will remain strong.

Anybody know if there are any family friendly karaoke places left out here?

We appreciate the support we are continuing to receive from the vast majority of you. Even those who can not visit us anymore because of having children seem to understand the necessity of the situation.

We appreciate your continued support, well wishes, and prayers. It means more than you know.

-MacFarlane's

We appreciate the support we are continuing to receive from the vast majority of you. Even those who can not visit us anymore because of having children seem to understand the necessity of the situation.

We appreciate your continued support, well wishes, and prayers. It means more than you know.

-MacFarlane's

I wish y'all nothing but the best and success. I hate the new smoking policy and am not thrilled about the format change, but I'll stop by for a beer to simply "support the cause".

Are there plans to add an improved exhaust system or at least divide the dining room from the bar?

I wish y'all nothing but the best and success. I hate the new smoking policy and am not thrilled about the format change, but I'll stop by for a beer to simply "support the cause".

Are there plans to add an improved exhaust system or at least divide the dining room from the bar?

That will depend on business; but I would eventually like to have a system very similar to that. However, with our separated bar and high ceilings, we have not had a problem with excessive smoke going into the dining area. I would encourage you to stop by and see for yourself, you may be pleasantly surprised.

-MacFarlane's

Well I hope I speak for many when I say I LOVE THIS PLACE! I like the warm friendly feeling I get when I go there. I enjoy and look forward to unwinding and singing on Friday and Saturday nights. Although I am not to thrilled about the 21+ change. I do feel that Brandon made a very wise decision. I do enjoy bringing my son and daughter (Son 17 and Daughter 9) with me on Friday nights. But it is more of an adult atmosphere and have considered not bringing my youngest anymore of my own choice. Because of the change I will only get to attend every other weekend when I am kids less. But as I said I had just about come to the conclusion to do that anyway.

I absolutely adore Mark the KJ. Brandon and his staff are always very welcoming and egger to serve us in every possible manner while we are there. Keep up the good work guys! And look forward to seeing you Friday night. I am bringing some newbie’s with me.

:good:

Well I hope I speak for many when I say I LOVE THIS PLACE! I like the warm friendly feeling I get when I go there. I enjoy and look forward to unwinding and singing on Friday and Saturday nights. Although I am not to thrilled about the 21+ change. I do feel that Brandon made a very wise decision. I do enjoy bringing my son and daughter (Son 17 and Daughter 9) with me on Friday nights. But it is more of an adult atmosphere and have considered not bringing my youngest anymore of my own choice. Because of the change I will only get to attend every other weekend when I am kids less. But as I said I had just about come to the conclusion to do that anyway.

I absolutely adore Mark the KJ. Brandon and his staff are always very welcoming and egger to serve us in every possible manner while we are there. Keep up the good work guys! And look forward to seeing you Friday night. I am bringing some newbie’s with me.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :drinks:

Figures. I leave town and there is finally a real bar. No Kids. Bodintons and a Cigar without driving to Smyrna or Atlanta? Not having to trip over the white trash biker scene to get a can of PBR? Sounds to good to be true! Good move Mac!

Christy,

You are one of many that I adore. I've met so many great people there over the past year and I can't say enough how much that has meant to me. You're continued support along with many others will be the driving force that keeps MacFarlane's in business for many years to come. I appreciate everything you do for us and dear, the feeling is mutual.

M

Thanks for listening.

Mark

Thank you for the information. :D

I also think he will do well with the changes. ;) I certainly wish him all the luck in the world!! :)

Three cheers for you C. Mark Willix - (hope I spelled it right) I am so glad you found out details and tried to set things right. Even without knowing the circumstances, I have complete sympathy for McFarlaine's. The flood caused so much heartache and devastation for so many people. I feel like each and everyone of us who escaped without serious damage and loss of life should be grateful and try to be understanding of all who were affected. I had a real eye opener over the weekend. My husband lived in Austell on Robin Road as a child. He has a cousin who stills live on Robin Road. He hardly ever sees her and was concerned about her safety. So we visited and of course, her house is destroyed along with almost every single house on that street. She was no where to be found. We hope she is safe with family somewhere.

When I saw what happened it really made my problems take on a new perspective. I have nothing to worry about compared to what those people are facing. I for one will be praying for each and everyone affected!

Figures. I leave town and there is finally a real bar. No Kids. Bodintons and a Cigar without driving to Smyrna or Atlanta? Not having to trip over the white trash biker scene to get a can of PBR? Sounds to good to be true! Good move Mac!

didnt I already read this lol.

I support any change ! I know they are made for reasons!

I'm be darned...we finally agree on sumthin! :lol:

I can't really describe what all of your positive and supportive comments have meant to me. I wanted Mac's to be the classic neighborhood pub, because growing up here (lifelong Paulding county person here), there was never anything like it. And I felt we deserved it. To hear all of your kindness and well-wishes lets me know I have not suffered through this in vain.

Just know we are trying to work through this - whether it be with FEMA assistance which I've applied for or some other solution, however it shakes out, I'm in your debt. And it's a debt of gratitude.

-MacFarlane's

Brandon - I haven't been able to bring you much business because I have so little time and I don't drink. But I'm also a businessman just up the street from you, and I wish you well in getting all this worked out. Small business is the real backbone of America, too bad our elected officials often ignore that.

Mark - Brandon is a blessed man to have a friend like you. :good:

What is a Bodinton?

Mark - Brandon is a blessed man to have a friend like you. :good:

It's a two way street. My friendship with Brandon is irreplaceable. I'm hopeful that Mac's will be able to re-open bigger and better, and I'm confident Brandon will be fine either way.

Thanks for being there for us.