• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 ChristyRL

ChristyRL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 10:21 AM

I am currently attending the University of West Georgia, but not enrolled yet for nursing. I am still in pre-nursing. I take both online classes and classes at the campus and am loving every bit of going back to college. I'd love to hear from others. Whether you are enrolled in nursing now or have already completed your degree - What college and what inspired your decision where you are attending/attended?

I know at my current corporate america job.....where you graduated from plays a big part. Those who graduated from UGA are definitely paid more and treated better than people who graduated elsewhere. I don't think that is right. Do you feel it is the case with the nursing field? I feel it is more about getting your license than what college you earn your degree through because even those in the top schools may fail to get their RN license.

Thank you in advance for your input!

#2 Iluvmypitbulls

Iluvmypitbulls

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 12:29 PM

QUOTE (ChristyRL @ Oct 2 2009, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am currently attending the University of West Georgia, but not enrolled yet for nursing. I am still in pre-nursing. I take both online classes and classes at the campus and am loving every bit of going back to college. I'd love to hear from others. Whether you are enrolled in nursing now or have already completed your degree - What college and what inspired your decision where you are attending/attended?

I know at my current corporate america job.....where you graduated from plays a big part. Those who graduated from UGA are definitely paid more and treated better than people who graduated elsewhere. I don't think that is right. Do you feel it is the case with the nursing field? I feel it is more about getting your license than what college you earn your degree through because even those in the top schools may fail to get their RN license.

I am going to Georgia Highlands (Floyd College)

#3 Olive Oyl

Olive Oyl

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 12:44 PM

I graduated last May from Georgia Highlands School of Nursing and I loved it!

#4 ChristyRL

ChristyRL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE (Olive Oyl @ Oct 2 2009, 12:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I graduated last May from Georgia Highlands School of Nursing and I loved it!

That's terrific! Do they offer a BSN program? I need my bachelors for the field of nursing I am going into. My neice was attending there for early childhood education. She spoke highly of it as well and it is local. smile.gif

#5 elliesgranny

elliesgranny

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,197 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 02:19 PM

My daughter got her BSN at Kennesaw State. They have a great nursing school but it's very hard to get in. They're very selective as far as admissions. When my daughter got in they were only accepting applicants with a 3.7 GPA or higher. Not sure how it is now. That was back in 2003.

#6 beulah boy

beulah boy

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 02:26 PM

KSU is the TOP "state" school around here...ask any local healthcare professional they can tell you where not to go.. wink.gif
bb

#7 LGM

LGM

Crafting and ninja raising extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,433 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 02:36 PM

QUOTE (elliesgranny @ Oct 2 2009, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My daughter got her BSN at Kennesaw State. They have a great nursing school but it's very hard to get in. They're very selective as far as admissions. When my daughter got in they were only accepting applicants with a 3.7 GPA or higher. Not sure how it is now. That was back in 2003.

http://www.kennesaw....ionCriteria.htm

KSU has an incredible nursing program - but it is highly competitive.

"I'm not raising a child...I'm raising an adult" - LGM

'you get mega cool points for being a rare breed of woman who knows how to keep her mouth closed!!!!'

- Anonymous, awesome p.commer.

#8 Ihave3dogs

Ihave3dogs

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 02:42 PM

QUOTE (beulah boy @ Oct 2 2009, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
KSU is the TOP "state" school around here...ask any local healthcare professional they can tell you where not to go.. wink.gif
bb

I know that Wellstar recommends going to Georgia Highlands and they even offer a scholarship program.

#9 ChristyRL

ChristyRL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE (ChristinaS19 @ Oct 2 2009, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know that Wellstar recommends going to Georgia Highlands and they even offer a scholarship program.

What if I want to work at Emory or Children's Healthcare of Atlanta? Maybe I should contact one of the health professionals there and ask. I have heard KSU is highly competitive. I have kept that as an option to try as long as i see I am able to maintain my high GPA.

#10 desi

desi

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 03:06 PM

I will start nursing classes in January at Chattahoochee Tech for the RN program. This is the first class to go through the RN program.

#11 collegegal

collegegal

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 03:25 PM

I graduated with a BSN from the University of West Georgia in May of 2008. I lOVED it!! UWG's Nursing program follows Jean Watson's Caring Theory and it is evident in all aspects of the program. The entire staff is dedicated to the students and helping them to be successful. The instructors are WONDERFUL. I passed NCLEX with 75 questions and on the first try. I felt very prepared for it. All nursing programs are highly competitive!!!! Make sure to maintain a high GPA. Good luck and if I can help you, shoot me a PM.

Dreams are acheived one goal at a time!

#12 ChristyRL

ChristyRL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 03:25 PM

QUOTE (desi @ Oct 2 2009, 03:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I will start nursing classes in January at Chattahoochee Tech for the RN program. This is the first class to go through the RN program.

That's terrific! It is great that an RN program is being added. Thanks for sharing!

#13 msflyfisher

msflyfisher

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE (ChristyRL @ Oct 2 2009, 10:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am so glad you posted these questions. I am currently unemployed and have been considering going back to school for something in the healthcare field but can't really decide which one. I will be interested to see all the responses!

Posted Image">

In Loving Memory of My Mother
Carol Bramlett
Nov 24, 1943 - Jul 6, 2009

#14 ChristyRL

ChristyRL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 03:56 PM

QUOTE (msflyfisher @ Oct 2 2009, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am so glad you posted these questions. I am currently unemployed and have been considering going back to school for something in the healthcare field but can't really decide which one. I will be interested to see all the responses!

Going back to school has been the very best decision I have made for myself. I work full-time and have 3 kids and do a lot of charity work. I stay very busy but somehow I manage to throw school in a few classes at a time. I hope to be an inspiration to other moms to go after their dream. yes, it is hard work but I have the best support from my husband and kids. Some days are more challenging than others but I love every moment of it because I know all of our efforts will be 100% worth it in the end. I wish you the best in deciding. I know the hardest part for me was deciding where to enroll to start my studies. Now that I see how well I am doing I am trying to decide which nursing program I'd like to enroll. I may not make it through admissions, but I want to allow myself the opportunity of trying. Once my decision was made and I jumped right in the rest has just flowed.

#15 elliesgranny

elliesgranny

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,197 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE (ChristinaS19 @ Oct 2 2009, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

KSU is also a WellStar Nursing School.

#16 trueheart

trueheart

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 07:08 PM

QUOTE (desi @ Oct 2 2009, 04:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I graduated from the LPN program at Chattahoochee Tech back in 2001. The lead instructor Nancy is phenomonal. I have been waiting for the RN bridge program to begin there. I would love to go back to school and get my RN. Unfortunately I can only hold daytime hours at work and am having trouble finding a program that has the classes at night. Does anyone know of any?

TIA

#17 ScarlettHeart9

ScarlettHeart9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:00 AM

I currently attend Georgia Baptist College of Nursing at Mercer (in Tucker). It is a great school with professors that really care about how you do. They have an active student nursing group (GBANS) that encourages participation in the conventions. We do clinicals at all the Emory hospitals, Atlanta Medical, Gwinnet Medical, Northside, Northside Forsyth, Piedmont, and Shepard Center, sometimes others as well. I do know that all the recent graduates have had no problem in getting jobs; also many of the local hospitals offer a hiring bonus. I did do my prenursing courses at KSU, but I am so happy to be where I am now (despite the drive). Good luck wherever you go.

#18 copschick

copschick

Tow's top chick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,168 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:27 AM

Desi...they aren't starting their nursing program until next August. They had to put it off for a semester..

ETA: It will be the 3rd. My sister is in the 2nd class to go through now.

Edited by copschick, 25 October 2011 - 07:28 AM.

Posted Image

#19 LisaC

LisaC

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:26 AM

I heard this blurb about nurses on WSB radio this morning but they were talking about a state law that says that your nursing certification must come from a "regionally" accredited school, NOT a "nationally" accredited school.

Here's a link to the WSB story: http://www.wsbtv.com...s-nurses/nFL95/
Sometimes no comment is the best comment.

#20 copschick

copschick

Tow's top chick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,168 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:30 AM

I heard this blurb about nurses on WSB radio this morning but they were talking about a state law that says that your nursing certification must come from a "regionally" accredited school, NOT a "nationally" accredited school.

Here's a link to the WSB story: http://www.wsbtv.com...s-nurses/nFL95/

yeah, part of Chattahoochee's problem was that their accreditation was messed up. Someone would be an Associate RN but couldn't progress OR they would not be able to transfer their license out of the state of Ga. I think they have that all worked out now, but I know my sister was horrified. At that point, I started looking at applying to other programs as well.
Posted Image

#21 LisaC

LisaC

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:33 AM

yeah, part of Chattahoochee's problem was that their accreditation was messed up. Someone would be an Associate RN but couldn't progress OR they would not be able to transfer their license out of the state of Ga. I think they have that all worked out now, but I know my sister was horrified. At that point, I started looking at applying to other programs as well.

If they don't have "regional" accreditation, then they're problems aren't solved until the General Assembly goes back into session next year and can modify the act.
Sometimes no comment is the best comment.

#22 copschick

copschick

Tow's top chick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,168 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:36 AM

If they don't have "regional" accreditation, then they're problems aren't solved until the General Assembly goes back into session next year and can modify the act.

Chattahoochee tech's didn't have anything to do with the General Assembly. I'll have to get all the details from my sister,but it had something to do with them not geting ppwk turned in on time
Posted Image

#23 VADER

VADER

Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:35 AM

Wife went to KSU and works at Wellstar Cobb. She would and has highly recomend KSU to anybody.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage

"Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes." Jim Carrey

#24 elliesgranny

elliesgranny

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,197 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:26 AM

My daughter got her BSN at KSU in 2005. She works as a RN in Labor & Delivery and loves it. She is currently working towards her MSN also at KSU and will graduate in December. She'll be taking her state boards sometime in January or February for her Nurse Practioner license. KSU has a great Nursing Program but it is very competitive. Good luck!! :)

#25 P.C. Shopper

P.C. Shopper

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 05:03 PM

Desi...they aren't starting their nursing program until next August. They had to put it off for a semester..

ETA: It will be the 3rd. My sister is in the 2nd class to go through now.

Honey, this post is from 2009, Desi graduated from the program this June/July ish :blush:
"When life throws you lemons, make lemonade"

#26 copschick

copschick

Tow's top chick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,168 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:58 AM

Honey, this post is from 2009, Desi graduated from the program this June/July ish :blush:

:rofl: I didn't even see that lol
Posted Image

#27 J'smom

J'smom

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:31 AM

I got my LPN from North Metro Tech (which has since merged with Chattahoochee). Two girls in my class had gotten accepted into KSU's RN program but were on their massive waiting list. They got their LPN with me and bridged over to get their RN and graduated with their ASN before they would have even started with KSU. I loved the program at North Metro (in Acworth) and love being a nurse--good luck!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics