Paulding.com

More County Layoffs

I found out that the County laid more people off on Thursday and yesterday - about 7 or 8 people. I thought the paper this week said that there would be no more layoffs since the tax rate was raised? Wasn't it either hold the tax rate and layoff more people OR raise the tax rate and save jobs and services? So why are more people losing their jobs? It seems that there is misleading information being distributed.

sorry for the ones that lost their jobs. which positions did some loose their job from?

I don't know about all of them but I think two were in the IT Department and one at the Senior Citizen Center. One was a high level person who had workd for the County a long time.

I don't know about all of them but I think two were in the IT Department and one at the Senior Citizen Center. One was a high level person who had workd for the County a long time.

Was this person offered an early retirement package or just flat out layed off?

Was this person offered an early retirement package or just flat out layed off?

I love your gnat MeWhoElse.

He was just flat out laid off. My friend said that the person had no idea it was coming. I guess the employees thought like most people that since the leaders raised the tax rate there would be no more layoffs. I guess this guy had worked for the County for over 22 years and just got blindsided. And I understand that the County offers no kind of severance at all. That's just not right. My friend also said that this person's insurance that was provided by the County will run out at the end of the month, so he's laid off with no severance pay and with insurance that will run out in less than two weeks. I think she said he has a wife and three kids. That's horrible. You work for someone for that long and then get treated that way. I think that's criminal!

Edited by AHamil

He was just flat out laid off. My friend said that the person had no idea it was coming. I guess the employees thought like most people that since the leaders raised the tax rate there would be no more layoffs. I guess this guy had worked for the County for over 22 years and just got blindsided. And I understand that the County offers no kind of severance at all. That's just not right. My friend also said that this person's insurance that was provided by the County will run out at the end of the month, so he's laid off with no severance pay and with insurance that will run out in less than two weeks. I think she said he has a wife and three kids. That's horrible. You work for someone for that long and then get treated that way. I think that's criminal!

That sad, but a sign of the times. Very difficult after many years of putting time into a job to both which should be a win/win deal. The employer has a worker that has long term knowledge in the job, also the worker knows they have invested their career into a system, or job, for hoping a long term relationship. It's sad. I always thought most civil service jobs with either the gov't, state, county, or most municipalities came with some job security, much less retirement and benis

Ah, but Jerry Shearin, on his own accord, gave Pat Crook a $50,000 severance package, and she already had a job line up to go to when she left the county.

Just doesn't seem right does it ?

And how many employees could have stayed on with the county if King Jerry and company had not pissed away $750,000 to Holland & Knight Law Firm to litigate against us.

Thank you and I love that you could spell it correctly! :clapping:

Private market insurance has fixed the problem. Lose the job. Lose the insurance. What the hell happens if one of the kids gets sick? A compassionate people want to keep people without the option of not being in this sort of bind.

Paulding is SO heavily tied to the housing industry [thank you very much King Jerry and Company] I am afraid locally we will be one of the last places to realize any sorrt of recovery as the recession starts to wind down in the next 18 to 24 months.

Had we concerntrated on building some nice industrial parks and encourage businesses NOT ASSOCIATED WITH THE HOUSING INDUSTRY to move to Paulding, things might be different.

But with 80% of our work force, [or even more now that the housing industry has totally tanked] leaving the county to go to work 10, 20, 30 miles or more away from home, the transportation industry will be reaping the rewards from our citizens.

I guess they could check into renting out some of the space in that Taj Mahal out on 278 ?

Ah, but Jerry Shearin, on his own accord, gave Pat Crook a $50,000 severance package, and she already had a job line up to go to when she left the county.

Just doesn't seem right does it ?

And how many employees could have stayed on with the county if King Jerry and company had not pissed away $750,000 to Holland & Knight Law Firm to litigate against us.

Jerry and Pat built a $65,000,000.00 memorial honoring Jerry's management of our grandchildren's future.

They never had the common sense to think about a little simple math. Payments on $65,000,000.00 is about equal to 120 employees making an average of $40,000.00 per year salary.

I for one feel we needed to take care of people more than build the Jerry Shearin Memorial Government Complex. Name 1 of your family members or friends who has benefited from the building of this $65,000,000.00 memorial.

I guess some people are still angry about the new building, but I for one am glad it was built. It's about time that we get something in this County that is nice and that we can be proud of. Paulding is always looking up at everyone else while they look down at us and laugh or worse. All anyone ever sees about us is stupid, crooked people doing stupid, crooked things, such as the recent embarrassing story out of Braswell. All other counties have nice buildings to do business in - we should have that too. I think the real problem here is the good 'ole boy system that still seems to embrace everything. My friend, who works for the County, told me that after the layoffs that occurred in March, the County turned around and hired two employees that were former employees of the new County Administrator. One was a director of a department that had not had a director for a couple of years. So if the department had gone two or so years with no director, why did it have to have one right after others lost their jobs to layoffs? It sounds like they laid off existing employees so they could hire a buddy to a high paying position to me. That is not good business, and the employees see it and know it. I wonder what the layoffs this week will clear room for. Our County just boots people out the door, some longtime, loyal employees, and give them nothing at all to thank them for their service. That's ridiculous and embarrassing for all of us, not to mention just plain wrong.

If it doesn't show, I am very angry with our County right now.

Edited by AHamil

I don't think there would have been additional layoff's had the county increased it tax a full .5 mills but instead, the anti-tax folks convinced them to cut the increase for maintenance and operations from that .5 mills to .25 mills. I.e. there was an additional cut to all the constitutional offices (DA, judges, clerk of the courts, etc.) as well as the commission ... that forced additional layoffs.

pubby

I don't think there would have been additional layoff's had the county increased it tax a full .5 mills but instead, the anti-tax folks convinced them to cut the increase for maintenance and operations from that .5 mills to .25 mills. I.e. there was an additional cut to all the constitutional offices (DA, judges, clerk of the courts, etc.) as well as the commission ... that forced additional layoffs.

pubby

It was reported that the mill rate was approved to go up 1.5 mills for maintenance and operations and for bonds I think. So was that a lie? Who's reporting what? I'm sorry, but it smells like deception all around. And if our Commissioners are that spineless to avoid raising the mill rate by .25 mills in order to protect their people, then no one should want to work for them. Maybe we need five new ones.

Edited by AHamil

pubby

Well Pubby, that is just too bad if you didn't get your beloved full tax increase. Just like a typical liberal. I, for one, have seen my taxes go up drastically in the last few years thanks to attitudes like yours. That stupid school bond and now this increase. I am paying over $800 a year more since I moved in my house 2 years ago. If the county cut its expenditures like they could, we wouldn't be facing this stuff EVERY year. I know who is in office too and I don't like it. But I tell you this, we surely don't need cheerleaders like yourself promoting these actions. If our county can make it without these employees now, did we need them in the first place? I am sorry about people getting canned, but our county's financial status should always be on the forefront and wasteful spending needs to stop. Typical gov't that you should be accustomed too.

Edited by Blazing Saddles
I hope not !

me too my department is holding our breaths. We were told a year ago we were doing the furloughs to keep from having more layoffs.

You would think they saved a ton with all the paid holidays they have taken from the county emp. As well as the additional 4 furlough days they are required to take off a year.

Layoffs

Are you serious? Layoffs in March, layoffs in August. The employees have been taking furoughs since March. A tax rate increase. And there may be more? What the heck is this Administration doing? Did the Braswell "clan" take over the County?

Are you serious? Layoffs in March, layoffs in August. The employees have been taking furoughs since March. A tax rate increase. And there may be more? What the heck is this Administration doing? Did the Braswell "clan" take over the County?

That is just what I have heard going around. May not be true I really hope not....... However we were told in Aug there would not be anymore. Did not believe it then and do not now. We will have to wait and see.

You would think they saved a ton with all the paid holidays they have taken from the county emp. As well as the additional 4 furlough days they are required to take off a year.

My friend who is a County employee said that they were forced to take one furough day per month from March through June. During that time the Sheriff's Department and the Courts refused to take them. That's wrong. The employees are now having to take ten furlough days during the current fiscal year. Seven of those are unpaid holidays (that are normally paid) and three are what they call "floating" holidays that can be taken whenever desired. She said that the employees are wondering whether the Sheriff's Department and Courts are having to take them now. I guess it's unclear to them whether they are or not, and many are really angry about it.

What about the "airport"??? I know we recieved some $$ from other places. BUT I believe (don't know amount) the county paid out tons. AND WHAT IS THERE OUT THERE????? NOTHING!!! Just a nice paved little road with nice trees planted along the way.

My friend who is a County employee said that they were forced to take one furough day per month from March through June. During that time the Sheriff's Department and the Courts refused to take them. That's wrong. The employees are now having to take ten furlough days during the current fiscal year. Seven of those are unpaid holidays (that are normally paid) and three are what they call "floating" holidays that can be taken whenever desired. She said that the employees are wondering whether the Sheriff's Department and Courts are having to take them now. I guess it's unclear to them whether they are or not, and many are really angry about it.

Yes all departments including the courts, fire and police are taking them now. We were told it was 4 days in addition to all the hoilday's. I know for a fact that the Fire and Sheriff's office are. I have family members who work for them. However they just started taking theirs. Not 100% sure about the Courts. However they need to be careful how many if any jobs they cut ~ Still need to have the people who live here get the services and customer service they need in a timely manor.

I am sorry that people got laid off, but it is happening all over the state and country....police and fire are running with small forces in many, many counties.

Sherdian left us with a bundle of debt.... at lot the voters put on their selves.... but the new courthouse complex was not put up for a vote, it was just put upon us, thanks Sheridian, and you did not even get to move in it, karma is karma. I my opinion, he wasted a lot of our hard earned money, it took years for some to see this..... that is their fault.

My property taxes have more than tripled over a 10 year period.... this was wrong also..... tax assessement until this year have steadily gone up, thanks again to Sheridan letting the developers take over our county......

I am sorry, but I can't take anymore property tax increases..... after so much you can't afford to live on your own land...I don't want any more property tax increases... we worked hard for what we have and we woiuld like to keep it.

Sorry, but all are in this. A lot of people all over the country have been laid off, a lot have lost their homes, most police and other county, and general employees will not get a raise this year, yet the cost of living is going up.....most everyone now feels the pain....

My property tax assessment went down over $40 thousand dollars this year, so my property taxes should be lower this year, I pray.

Every county has had to cut their costs, downsize, my popo husband can't even get new uniforms... this is costing us all, but we will just have to dig in and endure, tighten our belts and do with out a little more....

Sorry pubby, but I know in all governments there is a lot of waste, and they have to do what they have to do... I can't afford more taxes now, and I don't think most people can......

We all can do with a lot less, and we will have to.... if you don't have to you are fornuate now.

for the person wanting Paulding to have a nice building..we do....along with about a $23,000 electricity bill.....great isn't it...two commissioners voted against the budget...oh, they voted for the $65 Million building you wanted, put the vote up for Greenspace, and the 2 Mil vote for a fire tax...they voted for this....so if you really took away all of this....yes, probably no increase. Can you imagine how many people were employed before Jan 09 that we not needed.....inspector's...inspecting what? The airport has construction...new building, fuel farm and so on....lets pick on that also...we have a new college in town....about 150 students I guess....with an out of date city....looks good...but functional? It is what it is...and we are either going to stay or leave....and some are leaving.....

THey need to take a serious look at consolidating some departments and getting rid of some of those high dollar director positions with $100,000 plus salaries. do we really need a department of one with a $100,000 plus salary like the airport department. This should be consolidated under the county's DOT area.

Edited by winston1972

Wow - why can't our leaders just "wave their magic wand" and make all these economic woes just go away? Good grief....can someone please explain (in detail) how Paulding County can sidestep all these economic issues that are affecting our entire country and make our special little county "immune" to issues that are affecting our entire country? Please don't give me SPECULATION on salaries, etc,....give me FACTS!!!!

I personally applaud our county leadership - I realize they are having to make some very tough decisions right now that none of us personally would want to make. God Bless them and thank you to all our county leaders and employees for the jobs you are doing in making our "little corner of the world" a great place to live.

Do you want to bet on whether there are still people on the "airport" comission payroll doing needless things because there is just no money, and will never be money to go any further with it? Hey maybe someone could buy it for pennies on the dollar, and turn it into a private business place- say, a drivers training place? ( Heavy sarcasm intended)

Do you want to bet on whether there are still people on the "airport" comission payroll doing needless things because there is just no money, and will never be money to go any further with it? Hey maybe someone could buy it for pennies on the dollar, and turn it into a private business place- say, a drivers training place? ( Heavy sarcasm intended)

Will you please do us the courtesy of providing details (including the names, annual salaries, the scope of their duties and responsibilities to the county, etc.) of what you are accusing the county of? Thank you in advance.

Wow - why can't our leaders just "wave their magic wand" and make all these economic woes just go away? Good grief....can someone please explain (in detail) how Paulding County can sidestep all these economic issues that are affecting our entire country and make our special little county "immune" to issues that are affecting our entire country? Please don't give me SPECULATION on salaries, etc,....give me FACTS!!!!

I personally applaud our county leadership - I realize they are having to make some very tough decisions right now that none of us personally would want to make. God Bless them and thank you to all our county leaders and employees for the jobs you are doing in making our "little corner of the world" a great place to live.

Salary information is available under Open Access Request. Request it yourself and see.

Edited by winston1972