Recent Topics Recent Topics

Photo

Asparagus? How do you cook it so that it taste good?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 kidsrock

kidsrock

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 11:30 AM

I know Asparagus is good for you and we are trying to start eating more healthy. I remember people on here talking about different spices that they used when cooking asparagus, and it tasted good. I can't find that post. So please feel free to give me some recipes if you eat asparagus......
Peace and Love

#2 winston1972

winston1972

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,474 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 11:35 AM

I don't like soggy asparagus. You can do this asparagus, green beans, etc. I toss them with olive oil, salt, pepper and whatever kind of herbs you like, italian, etc and roast them on a cookie sheet in the oven. You will have to turn them once or so while they are cooking and they are done when you can cut them with a fork.

#3 Nolongerhere

Nolongerhere

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 11:39 AM

I steam mine. I use a regular frying pan. I put about half a cup of water in and bring it to a boil. I add in the asparagus and seasonings. I let it simmer until the water evaporates. Usually takes about 5 minutes. I usually use salt, pepper, garlic for seasonings smile.gif
Moved on to a more positive and enriching environment =)

#4 elliesgranny

elliesgranny

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,200 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 11:41 AM

My SIL grills it. My daughter, who is a very picky eater, actually says it's good! tongue.gif

#5 kidsrock

kidsrock

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 11:44 AM

QUOTE (elliesgranny @ Jul 27 2009, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My SIL grills it. My daughter, who is a very picky eater, actually says it's good! tongue.gif

What kind of seasonings does she put on it?

Peace and Love

#6 LisaC

LisaC

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 11:48 AM

Toss in olive oil (good olive oil - not the cheap stuff), minced garlic and Lawry's seasoning salt. Bake on a cookie sheet at 350 until just slightly tender (you want it to have a little crunch when you bite into it). You can also put it on the grill and do the same thing. YUMMY!
Sometimes no comment is the best comment.

#7 *~AJ~*

*~AJ~*

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,437 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 11:50 AM

Put it in foil with butter, salt, and pepper and grill it.

or

Chop it up and bake it with potato slices, cheese, cream of Mushroom soup, and ham cubes.

#8 elliesgranny

elliesgranny

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,200 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE (kidsrock @ Jul 27 2009, 11:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What kind of seasonings does she put on it?

Olive oil and grillmates seasoning for vegetables.

#9 Barbed wire

Barbed wire

Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,844 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 11:59 AM

I use the grill when we are cooking out, but most often I kind of stir fry it. Use real butter (maybe a tablespoon), salt, garlic and just stir it around in a hot skillet.
Love never ends; it just changes shape.

#10 solsearcher

solsearcher

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:04 PM

QUOTE (kidsrock @ Jul 27 2009, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know Asparagus is good for you and we are trying to start eating more healthy. I remember people on here talking about different spices that they used when cooking asparagus, and it tasted good. I can't find that post. So please feel free to give me some recipes if you eat asparagus......

steam in microwave until tender, not long. Cool and then marinate in Italian dressing.

#11 pugmama

pugmama

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:10 PM

QUOTE (winston1972 @ Jul 27 2009, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't like soggy asparagus. You can do this asparagus, green beans, etc. I toss them with olive oil, salt, pepper and whatever kind of herbs you like, italian, etc and roast them on a cookie sheet in the oven. You will have to turn them once or so while they are cooking and they are done when you can cut them with a fork.

I season it the same, but stir fry it in a frying pan- sometimes I'll throw in a dash of balsamic vinegar at the end!
When you get the asparagus- make sure you cut the woody ends off- the thicker the stalk, the higher the woody part goes.

#12 Lady Raider

Lady Raider

Super Icon

• +MPS extra
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77,811 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:12 PM

That is one the things I have never been able to eat..
"The most dangerous place in the world to be is "Between a Mother and her Child"

Posted Image

In Loving Memory of My Daddy and Mama
3-29-08
and 10-24-2012

*say what you mean, and mean what you say*

#13 juleebella

juleebella

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,862 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:17 PM

QUOTE (*~AJ~* @ Jul 27 2009, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Put it in foil with butter, salt, and pepper and grill it.

or

Chop it up and bake it with potato slices, cheese, cream of Mushroom soup, and ham cubes.

Now that sounds "healthy"! laugh.gif

(Sounds good, I'd eat it biggrin.gif )

#14 feelip

feelip

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,620 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:19 PM

Stir fry in olive oil or grill. Ginger works great with asparagus. Lemon or lime juice, a little garlic, a little kosher salt, cracker black pepper and ginger.
Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

#15 Go BLUE!

Go BLUE!

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,233 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:22 PM

There is no way to cook that stuff that makes it good. <pukes>

Posted Image
"If heaven ain't a lot like Detroit, I don't wanna go....if they ain't got no 8 Mile like they do up in the D, then send me to hell or Salt Lake City it would be about the same to me." - Uncle Kracker

#16 MeWhoElse

MeWhoElse

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,116 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:24 PM

QUOTE (Lady Raider @ Jul 27 2009, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is one the things I have never been able to eat..

laugh.gif Nor have I. I always thought it was a northern thang...

Posted Image

~~Just so you know, GNAT is spelled with a G and not a K~~

Disclaimer: I look nothing like my avatar...

#17 Haunted Junkyard Hayride

Haunted Junkyard Hayride

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:25 PM

I steam mine in a Black & Decker electric steamer with minced garlic, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. smile.gif
Xtreme Tree Worx & Meth Alliance of Paulding present...
HAUNTED JUNKYARD HAYRIDE 2009!!!!
At the old Alsobrook Junkyard at Hwy 92 & Ridge Rd in Hiram
Every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday in OCTOBER!

www.hauntedjunkyard.net

#18 Go BLUE!

Go BLUE!

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,233 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:34 PM

QUOTE (MeWhoElse @ Jul 27 2009, 12:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not at this Yankee's house. laugh.gif

Posted Image
"If heaven ain't a lot like Detroit, I don't wanna go....if they ain't got no 8 Mile like they do up in the D, then send me to hell or Salt Lake City it would be about the same to me." - Uncle Kracker

#19 Double J

Double J

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:40 PM

QUOTE (MotorCity MadMan @ Jul 27 2009, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not at this Yankee's house. laugh.gif

Not at this Yankee's house either! I immediately thought, "There is NOTHING you can do to make that stuff taste good!" BLECH!!!!

~SPAY~NEUTER~ADOPT~

Don't BREED or BUY while SHELTER PETS DIE!!!

#20 *~AJ~*

*~AJ~*

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,437 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:56 PM

QUOTE (juleebella @ Jul 27 2009, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now that sounds "healthy"! laugh.gif

(Sounds good, I'd eat it biggrin.gif )

Why not? There are like 4 food groups there! laugh.gif

#21 ihaveadog

ihaveadog

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,866 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 01:08 PM

Fry it in bacon grease. tongue.gif

I like asparagus... I've cooked it in olive oil, garlic, salt, thrown on some lemon pepper, and bacon bits.

I fantasize about my dogs having jobs. I pretend that both of them are window cleaners and their kennel is their first starter home. I think the bigger dog is trying to bump off the smaller dog so he can have the kennel to himself. I know I have a problem, but don't animals have to earn a living too?

Dogs may not be our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.

A dog is not "almost human" and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such.

The more I see of humans, the more I admire dogs.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

The dog is a gentleman, I hope to go to his heaven, not man's.

#22 DallasNebo

DallasNebo

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 01:40 PM

sprinkle a little oil on, garlic and grill. YUM YUM

#23 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,533 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 02:11 PM

Depending on the diameter, and how tender. If thick, we like to skewer them stacked like a raft. Season them with good olive oil, kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, a little squeeze of lemon juice and maybe some white wine. Grill till starting to darken, basting often.

Quick and simple is the same seasonings, in a microwave bowl or other suitable container, cover with plastic wrap, and nuke for 30 to 45 seconds at a time till just "Al-Dente". Some fresh Hollandaise goes along with them nicely.

Leftover asparagus I like to use in frittattas, or souffles, placing the tender tips on top like the spokes of a wheel. Goat cheese, parmesian, ham, bacon, all go well with the asparagus.

Broken into pieces, blanched, and stif fried with garlic, mushrooms, and onion is nice.

When you think they are ganging up against you....."Illigitimus non es carborundum"

#24 Guest_Oscar_*

Guest_Oscar_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2009 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE (LisaC @ Jul 27 2009, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Toss in olive oil (good olive oil - not the cheap stuff), minced garlic and Lawry's seasoning salt. Bake on a cookie sheet at 350 until just slightly tender (you want it to have a little crunch when you bite into it). You can also put it on the grill and do the same thing. YUMMY!

Thanks for the tip! I'm going to try this tonight!

QUOTE (MeWhoElse @ Jul 27 2009, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I srsly have been eating asparagus since my parents introduced it to me (jr. high school?) I have loved it ever since! MMMMMmmmmmMMMMM! Oh and we're from the southwest. laugh.gif

#25 kidsrock

kidsrock

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 03:51 PM

I am going to cook some tonight....I will let you all know if it was a GO or not....with the family.....My 7 year old daughter loves brussell sprouts (baby cabbage as we call it) so she might like the asparagus...
Peace and Love

#26 Guest_Oscar_*

Guest_Oscar_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2009 - 03:52 PM

QUOTE (kidsrock @ Jul 27 2009, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am going to cook some tonight....I will let you all know if it was a GO or not....with the family.....My 7 year old daughter loves brussell sprouts (baby cabbage as we call it) so she might like the asparagus...

I loved brussell sprouts as a kid too. wink.gif

#27 nana of 7

nana of 7

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 03:55 PM

It is also good cold right from the can.
Posted Image

#28 lillaroo

lillaroo

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:03 PM

I make a recipe with bowtie pasta, cream of mushroom soup, mushrooms, and walnuts and asparagus that is yummy.

#29 1Novella

1Novella

Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,347 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE (LisaC @ Jul 27 2009, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is how I do it....I buy the thicker stalks...and eat them instead of french fries...
You have to be nice first. When that doesn't work, you can be mean. Once you've been mean, noone will believe the nice anymore. So be nice, even if it hurts.
More life lessons from Anita:
There are some things more important than physical survival. You've got to be able to look yourself in the mirror.
Guns aren't designed for comfort. It's one of the few things that are worn by men, that are as uncomfortable as a pair of high heels.
Change is inevitable and leading change makes it positive. Availability is not a qualification. Hope is not a strategy. Potato chips are not a vegetable, and hot dogs are not a meat. Feedback is a gift, and anyone who "unfriends" you on Facebook because of a disagreement wasn't truly your friend at all.
Posted Image

#30 MelW

MelW

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:53 PM

I steam mine for 3-5 minutes, until you can prick it with a fork but it's not droopy. Then I saute it fast in a little bit of butter and salt. My boys (6 and 2) love it!

#31 Nolongerhere

Nolongerhere

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:36 PM

QUOTE (nana of 7 @ Jul 27 2009, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is also good cold right from the can.

Yup, that's how I eat the canned type too .. YUMMY biggrin.gif
Moved on to a more positive and enriching environment =)

#32 cherokeewoman

cherokeewoman

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,589 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 01:11 AM

Steam it in the microwave and then a few more minutes add a tad of butter and lemon pepper...

#33 Skye

Skye

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:49 AM

My dad just blanches it - boils it to where it is still a bit crunchy (this way it holds its nutrients) and seasons it with olive oil, lemon, and italian dressing. The lemon tangy flavor is so good on it.

#34 momof2

momof2

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:36 AM

I am a Southerner who hates grits!! LOL!! But I love asparagus--I read in a women's magazine that gently bending them at the end will cause the stalk to snap at the tender spot--too easy!!! Thanks for the tips--we usually grill it but I am going to try to the stir fry--

#35 WhiteWitch369

WhiteWitch369

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:59 AM

cant stand it crunchy...we steam the heck out of it and then use butter and ms. dash seasonings. (different varieties) also smother in cheese like we do brussels. These are both acquired tastes....i didnt like either till about 5 or 6 yrs ago...tomatoes just slliced and eat either. Funny how tastes change as we age.
FORGET FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH....what the world needs is a FOUNTAIN OF SMART!!!!
Some people are just like slinkies....completely good for nothing but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

#36 fishnthec

fishnthec

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,234 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 08:05 AM

I like it raw (but it has to be the skinny, tender kind). It is great on a vegetable tray with some dip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics