Paulding.com

Toddler Left In Hot Car; Mom Arrested

I'll probably get bashed for this, but when my youngest daughter was 4 months old, I was taking care of my godmother who had cancer. I was taking her to chemotherapy in Austell 3x's a week, and to get blood about as often. I was running ragged, between doing that and trying to work part time and take care of a family. My MIL at the time tried to help me as much as she could by keeping the baby while I took her on these appointments. One day, she couldn't keep her, so I had her with me. I always pulled up to the front of the dr office and walked my godmother to the office inside the building, and then returned to park the car in the parking deck. That was our routine EVERY SINGLE TIME WE WENT. This day that I had the baby with me, I did the same thing. I was in the office MAYBE 5 minutes, but it was in July, and I had turned off the car. I came back out and saw the baby seat in the back and totally panicked. I grabbed her out of the seat as fast as I could and she was totally fine, with the exception of a little sweat on her lip. She'd been asleep the whole time. I just cried and cried. I felt like such a horrible parent.

The fact of the matter was that I was a walking zombie and was not used to having her with me, and she was asleep and I didn't hear her or anything. I almost never forgave myself. :(

Or maybe she did plan ahead, and then something happened that was beyond her control. Life is funny that way.

If being a parent requires one to become as reactive and judgemental as some of the responses in this thread would suggest, then that's one bullet I'm glad I managed to dodge.

I really think in a lot of cases folks need a little help but society discourages it and unless the good Samaritan is there to lend a hand, mistakes of this kind are made. I do think that a kinder and gentler society that encourages more cooperation and less stoic independence would probably eliminate many of these kinds of 'lapses.'

This ^^ is an astute observation and it says a great deal about society in general that despite our assertions that we are a polite and compassionate people, the reality is we are so wrapped up in ourselves and our own lives we can't be bothered to take a moment to give someone else a hand when they clearly could use one.

Wonder how it is that we're never quite so busy when presented with the opportunity to be critical or unforgiving?

It's very easy to state what should have been done, but then trying to manage 3 kids and a dog at the vet's office is a tad more stressful and immediate than sitting in front of a computer with time to think about the proper steps to take in such a situation. As Smitty pointed out, the information provided is not detailed enough to give a clear picture of all the events leading to the woman's arrest.

Or maybe she did plan ahead, and then something happened that was beyond her control. Life is funny that way.

If being a parent requires one to become as reactive and judgemental as some of the responses in this thread would suggest, then that's one bullet I'm glad I managed to dodge.

This ^^ is an astute observation and it says a great deal about society in general that despite our assertions that we are a polite and compassionate people, the reality is we are so wrapped up in ourselves and our own lives we can't be bothered to take a moment to give someone else a hand when they clearly could use one.

Wonder how it is that we're never quite so busy when presented with the opportunity to be critical or unforgiving?

It's very easy to state what should have been done, but then trying to manage 3 kids and a dog at the vet's office is a tad more stressful and immediate than sitting in front of a computer with time to think about the proper steps to take in such a situation. As Smitty pointed out, the information provided is not detailed enough to give a clear picture of all the events leading to the woman's arrest.

I agree. Finally someone who seems to see what I am seeing more and more lately. Where is our compassion these days?

I agree. Finally someone who seems to see what I am seeing more and more lately. Where is our compassion these days?

My compassion is with all of the babies who died in hot/cold cars.

I understand being run ragged, like on of the other posters said, she went with her routine that did not include having her baby with her. She didn't intentionally leave her baby in the car......it was an unfortunate incident, and thankfully the baby is OK.

The mother in the news....I just don't understand how you can remember only 2 out of 3 of your children. Maybe if I was there and saw her reaction to FORGETTING her child in the car, i would feel a little different. But this sounds more like a matter of convenience.

Oops! I made a mistake, and accidentally shot my mother-in-law.

I'm sure someone will be understanding and not condemn me for it.

I mean, I was having a really bad day and I wasn't thinking clearly.

I didn't mean to do it, after all, she's family.

[/sarcasm]

Oops! I made a mistake, and accidentally shot my mother-in-law.

I'm sure someone will be understanding and not condemn me for it.

I mean, I was having a really bad day and I wasn't thinking clearly.

I didn't mean to do it, after all, she's family.

[/sarcasm]

I didn't mean to say that forgetting was ok, your child would still be in danger. It's just a different senario when it's intentional.

I have no idea why it happened but maybe she is deserving of my compassion since I am not her judge. I watched a woman on Oprah not long ago who left her daughter in her car and she died. It was an accident because she was not in the habit of having her daughter with her. She was a broken woman, who will never forgive herself. We do not know the circumstances of this mother either. Why is everyone so quick to condemn these days?

I saw this episode. I have no sympathy for her. I cannot comprehend how any one can "forget" their child. There are no circumstances that justify leaving a baby/young child unattended in a vehicle like this lady did.

As for the woman in Forsyth County, there's no excuse for what she did. Pure laziness is what it sounds like. She didn't want to be bothered with the baby. IMO, she deserves the most serious punishment the law allows.

First, I agree she should not have left the baby unattended in any vehicle - period.

Just wanted to add that an assumption was made that all 22 month-old babies can walk. Although this one probably could have, it is still an assumption. This is still not an excuse.

2nd, someone suggested allowing the receptionist keep an eye on her kids while she gets her dog (don't forget to call the animal police for leaving her animal in a hot car unattended!). The is no way I would ask a receptionist EVER to watch my kids. I don't care if she knows them or not. If I get delayed or whatever, I wouldn't put that responsibility on any receptionist or any other employee. Normally they are behind a wall anyway, answering the telephone, dealing with other customers, assisting the doctor as needed and I go and lay my kid on her. I could make a very long list of all the things that could go wrong and still leave some stuff out. Whose responsibility would it be if something did go wrong? Mine alone.

I have been in that position where I have several small kids and errands to run. There are many strategies that work. Holding hands, ask someone to go with you, a stroller, grab a shopping buggy, etc.

I am glad this wasn't a fatal mistake that she would have to live with for the rest of her life. I just prays she learns from it.

Making excuses for stupidity - real nice. Mistakes are something done unintentionally. This was not a mistake, she made a conscience decision to leave the kid in the car. They should lock her in a hot car and televise it.

My thoughts exactly!!!!! But I guess that would be cruel! Oh wait...it is......that's why you don't leave your child in a hot car.

My compassion is with all of the babies who died in hot/cold cars.

I understand being run ragged, like on of the other posters said, she went with her routine that did not include having her baby with her. She didn't intentionally leave her baby in the car......it was an unfortunate incident, and thankfully the baby is OK.

The mother in the news....I just don't understand how you can remember only 2 out of 3 of your children. Maybe if I was there and saw her reaction to FORGETTING her child in the car, i would feel a little different. But this sounds more like a matter of convenience.

Agreed 100% I have ABSOLUTELY NO compassion for people who do things like this, why should I? I don't care how frazzled you are, any person with a brain and deserving of children, doesn't forget they have a child in the car with them. You remember 2 kids and a dog and forget a third child? BULL!!!!!!

She didn't think. She made a mistake. She should not have left the baby in the car.

I really think in a lot of cases folks need a little help but society discourages it and unless the good Samaritan is there to lend a hand, mistakes of this kind are made. I do think that a kinder and gentler society that encourages more cooperation and less stoic independence would probably eliminate many of these kinds of 'lapses.'

pubby

I agree. :help:

I mean, why not arrest the parent for getting the kid in the car in the first place and driving? The risks of serious injury or death are MUCH greater (especially if the mother drives like most people drive).

I agree. :clapping: