Paulding.com

The Paulding.com News for Friday, July 10 , 2009

even more ironic that said topic has since been set invisible.

I saw it was closed but It was invisible? I didn't set it invisible. Who set it invisible? (mods PM me)

ironic that pubby warned us so staunchly about speaking ill of these perfectly legal hand bags.

I didn't say they were legal. It is not my job to know whether they were legal or not. What I was saying is FOLLOW THE RULE that you don't you don't rain on a commerce members parade. I'm serious about that. It is kind of like a cardinal rule. Don't do it. You want to warn them they are breaking the law, do it in a PM , you want to disrespect them for doing so; do it in a topic you start. Do it in their topic and either I or one of the mods are going to nail your butt with double sanctions and probably give you a three day vacation if you do it in their topic.

We've said it enough times and yep, we mean it even if the CM is possibly violating the law.

It is the CM's responsibility to comply with the law and, as this case establishes, if they don't, they will be responsible for their actions.

But the rule on PCOM is don't truck with my commerce members :)

NC-17, while folks may opine that X or Y is responsible for turning these folks in, do know that my personal belief is that the images and ad that was on pcom turned up on a google search. These companies pay folks to look 5, 10, 100 pages into a google search as they seek out those whom they need to investigate.

they saw it, they saw the words, they investigated and this is the result. This is the way the major brands act ... particularly designer fashions and the RIAA. They are jealous of their intellectual property and they will find you and kick your butts.

Bye and bye, they'll be doing it for those who indiscriminately copy and paste content without permission as well. You are responsible for what you do and post. Those who don't understand that best distill that into some kind of brain rot, a funnel and drill to get that important knowledge through their obviously thick skulls.

pubby

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I saw it was closed but It was invisible? I didn't set it invisible. Who set it invisible? (mods PM me)

I didn't say they were legal. It is not my job to know whether they were legal or not. What I was saying is FOLLOW THE RULE that you don't you don't rain on a commerce members parade. I'm serious about that. It is kind of like a cardinal rule. Don't do it. You want to warn them they are breaking the law, do it in a PM , you want to disrespect them for doing so; do it in a topic you start. Do it in their topic and either I or one of the mods are going to nail your butt with double sanctions and probably give you a three day vacation if you do it in their topic.

We've said it enough time and yep, we mean it even if the CM is making possibly violating the law. That is their responsibility and, as this case establishes, they will be responsible for their actions.

But the rule is don't truck with my commerce members :)

NC-17, while folks may opine that X or Y is responsible for turning these folks in, do know that my personal belief is that the images and ad that was on pcom turned up on a google search. These companies pay folks to look 5, 10, 100 pages into a google search as they seek out those whom they need to investigate.

they saw it, they saw the words, they investigated and this is the result. This is the way the major brands act ... particularly designer fashions and the RIAA. They are jealous of their intellectual property and they will find you and kick your butts.

Bye and bye, they'll be doing it for those who indiscriminately copy and paste content without permission as well. You are responsible for what you do and post. Those who don't understand that best distill that into some kind of brain rot, a funnel and drill to get that important knowledge through their obviously thick skulls.

pubby

so pubby you think that no one here on pcom turned in Steve and Nemie?? You think it was found out cause they posted and posted pics of the merchandise? Just curious cause it seemed like a couple folks were strongly opposed to 'replicas'.

so pubby you think that no one here on pcom turned in Steve and Nemie?? You think it was found out cause they posted and posted pics of the merchandise? Just curious cause it seemed like a couple folks were strongly opposed to 'replicas'.

You are correct.

In talking with the SO PIO, he said when he was running this story down for me that the private detective and the SO investigators were at the SO looking at the ad on pcom.

If they were turned in directly, it wouldn't have involved the net at all.

Like I said in the other topic, I worked at a small - I mean small daily paper in western OK over 30 years ago - and one of the other reporters got one of the XEROX letters ... a cease and desist letter from a XEROX attorney for the misuse of the brand name instead of the generic photocopy.

Long before Pcom was around and I was at the Neighbor ... this is back in the mid 1990's ... a thrift store on Dallas Main Street named "Saks THRIFT Avenue" got a cease and desist letter from Saks Fifth Avenue in NYCity for violation of their trademark.

No one turned any of those folks in and in those days ferreting out this kind of stuff was a lot tougher. With the Internet; these guys are on things like white on rice. If they have a valuable brand name - the kind of name that lets them sell a $50 "cost" item for $5,000 - they protect it. They have to.

pubby

We've said it enough times and yep, we mean it even if the CM is possibly violating the law.

It is the CM's responsibility to comply with the law and, as this case establishes, if they don't, they will be responsible for their actions.

But the rule on PCOM is don't truck with my commerce members :)

pubby

while looking at your past topics, the above mentioned post was not found. logic would follow that it's invisible. i've been wrong before though.

as to the rest? blah blah blah.

who??? come on, spill it....and for what reason?

Well I would tell, in fact i did a couple of days ago, but POOOF.... It's mysteriously gone...

Let's just say a certain home daycare had an incident in public. It was reported, and there is NO record of this "Home Of Distinction" with the state of Georgia. Lies. A bunch of LIES.....

Well I would tell, in fact i did a couple of days ago, but POOOF.... It's mysteriously gone...

Let's just say a certain home daycare had an incident in public. It was reported, and there is NO record of this "Home Of Distinction" with the state of Georgia. Lies. A bunch of LIES.....

wow, a daycare with a serious violation? now that would seem like news to me....

while looking at your past topics, the above mentioned post was not found. logic would follow that it's invisible. i've been wrong before though.

which topic NC? was it the one about 'hot bags' or some such?

What you don't realize is that it is not invisible to me and since that is the case, unless I am the one who set it invisible (I didn't) it is really easy for me to not know that it was set invisible by one of the mods.

But then you wouldn't know that.

pubby

What you don't realize is that it is not invisible to me and since that is the case, unless I am the one who set it invisible (I didn't) it is really easy for me to not know that it was set invisible by one of the mods.

But then you wouldn't know that.

pubby

i was just following logic. doubt it'll ever lead me o a pot of gold.

I'll tell ya'll this, Pubby is a fair man. He is indeed a JOURNALIST ... and maybe someday in the words of Carlos Mencia, he is an "equal opportunity journalist." So for those of you who decide to bring up people from the past....

deedeedee.jpg

Those people probably would have rather wished to be on the "fallen off the face of pcom" list ... but instead, you'll have a multitude of people looking up past threads to see whatthetruck we are talking about.

Nice going! Look, I've even contributed to it too! :rolleyes:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Oscar, you crack me up, even when you are speaking da druff! :D

Isn't it strangely amusing to see how they truly adore drawing attention to themselves, even when no one else is doing it? Gosh, must hurt when people really just aren't that impressed anymore. :rolleyes:

Steve & Nemie -- Fight the good fight!!! There is so much gray in this case that it's not even funny.

Did anybody see the part about the Bingo game!

Huh did ya see it did ya see it?

It's gonna be so much fun!

You know take you away from your troubles for an hour!

Win some really fun nice prizes!

Have some laughs!

Did anyone see it? did ya see it?

Come on! lets play, have some fun!

th_DANCE.gif

Did anybody see the part about the Bingo game!

Huh did ya see it did ya see it?

It's gonna be so much fun!

You know take you away from your troubles for an hour!

Win some really fun nice prizes!

Have some laughs!

Did anyone see it? did ya see it?

Come on! lets play, have some fun!

post-15671-1247313178.gif

I did. Can we use more then one card?

Deputy Gurley: Our detectives served that search warrant at 10:45 am. It was at Bags and Barks Boutique on Douglasville hwy. The complaint was initially by Cobb investigators with our sheriff’s office. After an investigation, a search warrant was executed. There was several boxes of suspected counterfeit merchandise which were taken into evidence from that location. Charges are pending in that case. Investigation is ongoing in that case. And again we do expect to file charges later on.

One correction to a typo above.... This is also to clarify some of the other speculations that have been circulating.

This complant was made to the Paulding County Sheriff's Office by a private investigator that was hired by one or more of the companies whose "name brand" was involved. That complaint initiated the investigation that ultimately led to an arrest.

These types of companies hire private investigators to track down counterfeit goods. They take action by getting the local law enforcement agency involved when they find items that they confirm are counterfeit.... as in this case.

I did. Can we use more then one card?

There are 4 cards to a sheet, we will be handing them out at the park tonight, and will be distributing them to some of our commerce members to make it easy for everyone to get one.

One correction to a typo above.... This is also to clarify some of the other speculations that have been circulating.

This complant was made to the Paulding County Sheriff's Office by a private investigator that was hired by one or more of the companies whose "name brand" was involved. That complaint initiated the investigation that ultimately led to an arrest.

These types of companies hire private investigators to track down counterfeit goods. They take action by getting the local law enforcement agency involved when they find items that they confirm are counterfeit.... as in this case.

Sorry about that. Hope I corrected it right.

When I lived in a small town in New Hampshire, I worked for my best friend in the whole world, she is a groomer- and the name of her business was called "Groomingdales" . We never had a problem, but we were doing something differently than Bloomingdales, so maybe that wasnt a problem? Plus she didnt advertise on the internet at all, or in newspapers, it was all word of mouth, and clients she had built up over years doing great grooming.

I have to say this whole issue confuses me to no end.

The retail stores will be flooded with some of the ugly purses I have ever seen in my life, and I can't for the life of me figure out why you see people carrying these ugly things everywhere.

I am told they are knock offs or replica's of designer bags, the market is flooded with these things every season.

The way I understand it, is there are people out there that desire there fake bag to look so much like the real thing that people will believe that you have spent $500.00 on a purse when you step out of your minivan.

I would assume that there are certain degrees as to how much it can look like the real thing, and from what I understand it takes an expert to figure out if the line has been crossed'

Well Steve is a carpenter by trade, and Nemie has always marketed pet things.

I have never seen Nemie prance around in designer anything, and like me she probably wouldn't know it if she saw it.

She chose the merchandise based on the popularity of it to make a profit.

I can tell you that I see the copy cats everywhere and did not realize the issues involved, because everything you see in fashion is modeled after designer fashion.

I am just so sorry that it got them in so much trouble.

The retail stores will be flooded with some of the ugly purses I have ever seen in my life, and I can't for the life of me figure out why you see people carrying these ugly things everywhere.

I am told they are knock offs or replica's of designer bags, the market is flooded with these things every season.

The way I understand it, is there are people out there that desire there fake bag to look so much like the real thing that people will believe that you have spent $500.00 on a purse when you step out of your minivan.

I would assume that there are certain degrees as to how much it can look like the real thing, and from what I understand it takes an expert to figure out if the line has been crossed'

I have never seen Nemie prance around in designer anything, and like me she probably wouldn't know it if she saw it.

I can tell you that I see the copy cats everywhere and did not realize the issues involved, because everything you see in fashion is modeled after designer fashion.

Don't you know that they had no clue these were illegal to sell. If that were the case they may as well have come on line and offered a bag of pot or a little meth with each bag. It sounds like one is no more illegal than the other. Steve and Nemie know that half of Paulding comes on line and they aren't stupid. I just hope that by proving that there was no intent to sell something illegal, it will cause this to come to an end.

I know for a fact that when the schools in Paulding put Chick-fil-A sandwiches on their menu, that chick-fil-a sent a letter warning them a little letter to stop...or else. So these buisnesses do check on line (On-line menu of schools is where they saw it)

Too bad Nemie and Steve weren't sent a letter to stop. (I assume they weren't)

I know for a fact that when the schools in Paulding put Chick-fil-A sandwiches on their menu, that chick-fil-a sent a letter warning them a little letter to stop...or else. So these buisnesses do check on line (On-line menu of schools is where they saw it)

See even the schools made the same mistake!

You have have a law degree to figure 1/2 of it out.

You and me both! I see many shops with replica purses. So what is illegal about the replicas? Do you have to have permission from the designer to sell the replica of their purses? To me I think you have to be selling these items with the intent to sell as the real thing. All I read was the replica purses they sell. So I am confused also.

From everything I've read, including court cases, this is a HUGE gray area!!

One of the huge keys is replica vrs knock off. Definition being a knock off is SOLD TO BE EXACTLY LIKE THE ORIGINAL... and a replica simply is a stated, understood, known imitation of the real deal. There are replicas everywhere.... Go into a Beals outlet, or ROSS, or something like that -- and I guarantee you that you'll see something in there that's a replica.

I still find it really hard to believe that a post on Pcom, from a small business, with not much inventory, could/would take precedent over the HUNDREDS if not thousands, of *knock off selling* websites/business all over a Yahoo/Google search. And I mean, folks that are RAKING IT IN, on this type of industry.

Isn't there two other CM's that sell these knockoffs? Why just the focus on this one CM. I'm not positive but isn't this the case????

Oh and don't shoot me, I didn't name the CMs...

Edited by MeWhoElse

i don't know much about much, but they way it's been explained to me is............

if you sell something that looks like something else, without claiming that it is what it looks like, you're ok.

these bags had the designer logo's on them. they weren't made by the designer.

kinda like generic vs name brand.

if the bags had been constructed to look the same, and had the name brand been left off of them, they would have been ok to sell.

i'm unclear as to using a name brand motif on a generic piece, as some times the "characters, styles, logos and patterns" are copyrighted, and it may be infringement to use them on anything other than a licensed product.

think about designer replica fragrances. they smell almost the same, but are called something completely different. not a knock off, but a product "inspired" by a name brand. perfectly legal.

Isn't there two other CM's that sell these knockoffs? Why just the focus on this one CM. I'm not positive but isn't this the case????

Oh and don't shoot me, I didn't name the CMs...

Actually I know of 5 CM's that sell purses in their shops, all of them similar from what I have seen.

They are replica's I am very hopeful that they do not have anything that could get them in trouble.

It was Nemie's post that got here looked at very closely.

Had she simply said that she had designer style bags it would have been fine, by saying the names of the disigners she pulled up in searches under designer names, this is how they catch you, even with advertising that way, from what I understand had they found merchandise in her store with enough differences from originals she would have been fine.

Basicly that is it in a nutshell if you sell stuff that it is hard to tell the difference you have a problem.

Actually I know of 5 CM's that sell purses in their shops, all of them similar from what I have seen.

They are replica's I am very hopeful that they do not have anything that could get them in trouble.

It was Nemie's post that got here looked at very closely.

Had she simply said that she had designer style bags it would have been fine, by saying the names of the disigners she pulled up in searches under designer names, this is how they catch you, even with advertising that way, from what I understand had they found merchandise in her store with enough differences from originals she would have been fine.

Basicly that is it in a nutshell if you sell stuff that it is hard to tell the difference you have a problem.

WOW!!! If this were my site (which it isn't), I would be suspending their CM's to protect myself...

WOW!!! If this were my site (which it isn't), I would be suspending their CM's to protect myself...

They can't do anything to the site under the law, local magazines don't revoke advertising because people complain about the business.

They pay to advertise, the advertising business delivers that service.

You actually learn more about a business before you walk in the door on here than you ever will from any other form of advertising.

As a consumer you should know what to ask about licensing, bonding, training, years of experience before you hire someone, there are also sites that are solely devoted to reviews of businesses that you can visit.

We are not a business investigator service for the community.

If Pubby and I go to a restaurant that is a CM and we don't like the food, or the service should we revoke their license?

We will though take action against those we suspect of using the site to harm competitors or any type of espionage to other businesses for profit.

They can't do anything to the site under the law, local magazines don't revoke advertising because people complain about the business.

They pay to advertise, the advertising business delivers that service.

You actually learn more about a business before you walk in the door on here than you ever will from any other form of advertising.

As a consumer you should know what to ask about licensing, bonding, training, years of experience before you hire someone, there are also sites that are solely devoted to reviews of businesses that you can visit.

We are not a business investigator service for the community.

If Pubby and I go to a restaurant that is a CM and we don't like the food, or the service should we revoke their license?

We will though take action against those we suspect of using the site to harm competitors or any type of espionage to other businesses for profit.

I understand your point regarding the restaurant scenario but now that you know that the counterfeit goods are illegal, I would still suspend them to uphold the integrity of my site... (but again, it is not my site)

I understand your point regarding the restaurant scenario but now that you know that the counterfeit goods are illegal, I would still suspend them to uphold the integrity of my site... (but again, it is not my site)

They have not been convicted of anything. Innocent until proven guilty!

I didn't get any notice that they were closed and I went down there to set up my crafts. There is a note on the door that says they are closed today and tomorrow. I hope they are both doing okay.

Going to Google Gamma's Goodies to make sure I am not using a name that might get me locked up. ;) My stuff is all mine....made by me...I did google recipies. Rut ro!

I love ya Steve and Nemie!!!

Absolutely. Lppt I am on their side, silly! :) It is the other CM's doing the same thing and getting away with it without consequences...

I know but proof is hard enough to come by for law enforcement and the courts.

I don't worry overly much because people get caught sooner or later, you just don't hear about it openly.

Most people have judgement and they can judge for themselves if they pay close attention.

And as I stated in the other post businesses are run by people, they make mistakes along the way, some learn by them some don't.

They simply will not make it eventually, I have no desire to do anything that would hasten the failure of anyone's business, I know if they are continually repeating mistakes then it will happen.

Believe it or not many small businesses in our community are having record sales even in this economy.

It is due to good business practices and hard work.

Had Steve and Nemie had bad businesses practices all these years this would have ruined them I would hazard to guess they will come back even stronger.

I didn't get any notice that they were closed and I went down there to set up my crafts. There is a note on the door that says they are closed today and tomorrow. I hope they are both doing okay.

Going to Google Gamma's Goodies to make sure I am not using a name that might get me locked up. ;) My stuff is all mine....made by me...I did google recipies. Rut ro!

I love ya Steve and Nemie!!!

Good for them, they need some time to get themselves together, this has been tough.

I just wish that a simple, common mistake -- and one where they just walked into a supplier and bingo! got the bags -- wasn't going to possibly ruin two decent people's business, or worse. -_- Especially when there are just countless others out there selling similar purses/items. Go to a flea market. Go to downtown Atlanta. Better yet, drive over to BUFORD HIGHWAY where a lot of the "wholesalers" of these purses are. Go bust them, who are bringing in thousands and thousands of dollars in these goods from the orient, if they are in fact illegal.

So you stated their are 5 others that sell these. Has PCOM disclosed the names of these businesses to the SO?

You're twisting her words MWE. She said she knew of 4 other Biz Members who sell purses in their shops. She didn't say they were exactly like these. :) (Although, I feel sure other businesses in Paulding County do indeed have these same kind of purses for sell.)