Paulding.com

Hiram High graduate shot

A group of Mcheachern (sp) students arrived at a graduation party last night for Hiram High graduates and were asked to leave by the mom of the student throwing the party, because they were not invited and she didnt want any trouble. They were upset and started arguing with the mother, a graduate arrived and saw what was going on and came to the defense of the mother and was then shot in the abdomen by one of the boys in the group. He was airlifted to Grady and surgery was performed to remove the bullet and to repair his liver that was damaged. He is now in ICU and is expected to be okay. Its sad that these students couldnt celebrate their milestone in peace, without some hoodlums coming to start trouble. As of this morning the group of boys had not been caught, and its sad that a fellow graduate of these students brought this group to the party, this was his first year at Hiram and he came from Mcheachern. He needs to be charged as well, even if he didnt know that they brought a gun. He ran with them after the shooting. Please keep Joel in your prayers for a speedy recovery.

I'm glad you posted how the young man is doing. I pray for a speedy recoverery.

I heard all this on the scanner and they said at one time they were around 100 people there. I hope they catch the ones involved that were not invited , and through the book at them.

I'm glad you posted how the young man is doing. I pray for a speedy recoverery.

I heard all this on the scanner and they said at one time they were around 100 people there. I hope they catch the ones involved that were not invited , and through the book at them.

Yeah, there were a lot of people there and my son was one of them. He was pretty shook up over this. His first experience with gun violence. I had wanted to have a graduation party for him last night, but I was too afraid something like this would happen and I decided not to have it. Its ashame that a few can ruin things for everybody.

Who shows up at a graduation party for someone they don't know, fight with the Mom and shoot the graduate? Hoodlums, thugs, punks, don't seen like strong enough words to describe this kind of criminal. How do these kids get guns and what on earth makes them think shooting someone is the answer to them getting pi$$ed off? We had an 18th b'day party for my youngest daughter and it never crossed my mind that any thuggish criminals would try to crash the party and they didn't. What attracts these people and how do they hear about random parties and what makes them think they'll be let in?? These punks need to be UNDER the jail. Prayers to the family and the victim.

Well, all they have to do is find the guy that used to go to McEachern and now goes to HHS and they have the others. ;) Lean on him hard enough and he will give the others up.

This is so sad. What is supposed to be a celebration turns into a bloody mess.

Edited to say: Glad to hear that the kid is okay!

Edited by AIRBORNE MOM

That is just so horrible! I hope they try him as an Adult because the crime he committed is one that should be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

I'm really glad to hear that this young man will recover. I'm sorry to hear your son was one of the kids there that witnessed it. I'm sure he is full of emotions right now.

I pray for a speedy recovery for this young man who was shot as well as the other students that were there and witnessed it. I'm sure they are all still in shock that something like this could happen.

It's really sad. I my X-SIL went to school at McEachern years ago and it was a really great school as were the students. It is just a shame that it has gone down hill and now thugs are carrying guns there. Like I said, I hope he is punished to the fullest extent of the law and as an adult. When they make adult decisions to shoot someone, they should be tried as an adult. JMHO

Scarlet

If you have a "celebration" with 100-150 people there will be trouble. Seems like the host would know this.

:huh: What? Are you seriously saying that a person who has a party for their graduate and invites that many people should have expected someone to get shot? I think a mother should be able to have a graduation party, invite the whole damn school and not expect life flight to be called.

Sorry, something about the way you worded that seemed as though the host was to blame. I am over my vent now.

Glad to hear this young man in going to be OK..........sounds like the person that moved here from McEachern High school come with a Thug mentality and carries it with him. I can't for the life of me understand why Kids act this way. And as posted earlier...find him and the source will be found and they all need to be CHARGED the same.

Prayers for a speedy recovery!

:huh: What? Are you seriously saying that a person who has a party for their graduate and invites that many people should have expected someone to get shot? I think a mother should be able to have a graduation party, invite the whole damn school and not expect life flight to be called.

Sorry, something about the way you worded that seemed as though the host was to blame. I am over my vent now.

Did I say that???? No. I simply pointed out common sense would say that is like a bomb waiting to explode....in this case it did.

Edited by Ugadawgs98
Did I say that???? No. I simply pointed out common sense would say that is like a bomb waiting to explode....in this case it did.

Anybody that has a party for whatever reason, be it graduation, engagement, wedding, should not expect trouble. These kids were NOT invited and asked to leave. If they hadn't "just showed up" then there wouldn't have been a problem. I went to many parties when in high school with this number of people and life flight was not called to even one of them. Common sense told that mother that she wanted to have a party for her graduate and not for people to crash it.

Glad to hear this young man in going to be OK..........sounds like the person that moved here from McEachern High school come with a Thug mentality and carries it with him. I can't for the life of me understand why Kids act this way. And as posted earlier...find him and the source will be found and they all need to be CHARGED the same.

It's sad that he was a fellow graduate, graduated alongside the victim and others earlier in the day and he brought them to this party, I don't know if there is a big rilvary between Hiram and McEachern but they obviously came to start trouble, bringing a gun along. Im so happy that this young man will be okay and that there were not more victims.

People shouldn't have to assume that a shooting will occur if you invite more than 25 people to a party, common sense or not. This person had a party for her son, uninvited people showed up, shot the graduate and ran off. Who would think that would ever happen? No one... thats who. Common sense has nothing to do with it, thugs with guns do. A person has the right to invite who they want to a party and keep out the rest, I've been to parties many times with at least 150 people and no one got shot. But I guess to some on here it was the Moms fault for inviting too many people. GEEEZ!

Prayers being said for this young man and his family...........This is truly a sign of our times when you can't even celebrate a wonderful day in our childrens lives without some type of violence occurring. This is truly a sad day.............never heard of anything like this happening in Paulding before but I guess it happens all the time..........

That is just so horrible! I hope they try him as an Adult because the crime he committed is one that should be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

I'm really glad to hear that this young man will recover. I'm sorry to hear your son was one of the kids there that witnessed it. I'm sure he is full of emotions right now.

I pray for a speedy recovery for this young man who was shot as well as the other students that were there and witnessed it. I'm sure they are all still in shock that something like this could happen.

It's really sad. I my X-SIL went to school at McEachern years ago and it was a really great school as were the students. It is just a shame that it has gone down hill and now thugs are carrying guns there. Like I said, I hope he is punished to the fullest extent of the law and as an adult. When they make adult decisions to shoot someone, they should be tried as an adult. JMHO

Scarlet

Yes, it has really taken its toll on him. He has been in bed all day. I have tried to talk to him about it, but he doesnt want to talk, just wants to sleep. This is suppose to be joyous time for them and they are having to deal with this. This is what they will remember the most about their graduation. And it has to be 100 times harder for the victim and his family. I had my pictures developed from the graduation and there are several pictures of the victim, my son and some other friends, smiling and ready to take on the world, they had no idea what was in store for them. It breaks my heart.

If you have a "celebration" with 100-150 people there will be trouble. Seems like the host would know this.

There were others that showed up and were not invited and they were asked to leave and they left without any problems. But this group, obviously was offended. I think word gets out that there is a party and people just start showing up, it happens all the time. The mother cant be blamed for it.

The way they are brought up or lack of up bringing should I say! Most of the time (not in all cases) you only have to look at the parents to understand why the kids are they way they are.

Prayers for eveyone who was involved in this mess last night.

The way they are brought up or lack of up bringing should I say! Most of the time (not in all cases) you only have to look at the parents to understand why the kids are they way they are.

Prayers for eveyone who was involved in this mess last night.

Any word on how he's doing this afternoon? My son graduated from HHS in 07 & played basketball with him. He is such a nice kid. Not surprising he came to someone else's defense either. My son and his friends just heard about this and are all concerned. Any updates would be appreciated.

thanks!

Any word on how he's doing this afternoon? My son graduated from HHS in 07 & played basketball with him. He is such a nice kid. Not surprising he came to someone else's defense either. My son and his friends just heard about this and are all concerned. Any updates would be appreciated.

thanks!

My husband spoke with his father earlier and everthing is about the same, he's still in ICU and resting. I will keep you updated as I learn more.

I spoke with my son a few minutes ago inquiring about the high number of attendees. He said it was not that many people at the party, once word got out about the shooting, via texting of course. Tons of people start showing up, it was not actually that many at the party before the shooting happened. He also said that the party had only been underway for about an hour before these boys showed up and the shooting occured.

My husband spoke with his father earlier and everthing is about the same, he's still in ICU and resting. I will keep you updated as I learn more.

I spoke with my son a few minutes ago inquiring about the high number of attendees. He said it was not that many people at the party, once word got out about the shooting, via texting of course. Tons of people start showing up, it was not actually that many at the party before the shooting happened. He also said that the party had only been underway for about an hour before these boys showed up and the shooting occured.

Police archives states this #.................................speedy recovery hopefully!

It was stated on the scanner as that many from a s/o that went to the house before the shooting happened. If there was anything wrong at that time, the officer would of broke it up. Instead, he left and was surprised when the second call came in. There were many calls for many different parties for loud music.

I hope this boy gets better. On the scanner it stated one was shot in the arm, then one was shot in the side as well as this boy which they stated was shot in the chest. Was it only this boy that got shot or was there 2 others also?

It was stated on the scanner as that many from a s/o that went to the house before the shooting happened. If there was anything wrong at that time, the officer would of broke it up. Instead, he left and was surprised when the second call came in. There were many calls for many different parties for loud music.

I hope this boy gets better. On the scanner it stated one was shot in the arm, then one was shot in the side as well as this boy which they stated was shot in the chest. Was it only this boy that got shot or was there 2 others also?

My son and others said there was not 100 to 150 people at that party, it was about that many when people started showing up after they heard about the shooting. Anyway it doesnt matter, if there were 10 or 1,000. To try and blame this mother for inviting too many people is absolutely insane. There was only one individual that was shot, so I guess information on the scanner can be wrong?

Edited by 2witty4u
My son and others said there was not 100 to 150 people at that party, it was about that many when people started showing up after they heard about the shooting. Anyway it doesnt matter, if there were 10 or 1,000. To try and blame this mother for inviting too many people is absolutely insane. There was only one individual that was shot, so I guess information on the scanner can be wrong?

I didn't say or mean it was a problem. If it were as I stated the s/o would of done something about it. I was not blaming the mom at all. When I was in h.s. and graduated our parties were that big also and not any trouble. It also could of been an over estimation.

Could you answer my last paragraph? Was there 2 others shot also? There was also another party that was crashed after that one with a group of teens beat up. Possibly by the same individual(s). It was stated by s/o's on the scene.

I didn't say or mean it was a problem. If it were as I stated the s/o would of done something about it. I was not blaming the mom at all. When I was in h.s. and graduated our parties were that big also and not any trouble. It also could of been an over estimation.

Could you answer my last paragraph? Was there 2 others shot also? There was also another party that was crashed after that one with a group of teens beat up. Possibly by the same individual(s). It was stated by s/o's on the scene.

Sorry, I was referring to a statement that someone posted earlier. "If you have a "celebration" with 100-150 people there will be trouble. Seems like the host would know this" The party that my son attended there was only one person shot, there may have been another party where something also happened.

Could somebody PM the name, my daughter just graduated from HHS this year and this subdivision is across the street.

PM sent

I had that many people at my wedding. At least 1/2 of them were under 22 and guess what??? Nobody was shot. That's just a foolish statement!!!

Scarlet

Thugs are carrying guns everywhere, not just at McEachern. By definition, that's what thugs do. My kids graduated there in '03,'06, and '08, and it's inaccurate to characterize the whole school as filled with gun-toting thugs.

I'm glad to hear the young man is doing OK. What a terrible thing. :(

Edited by TabbyCat

We were sitting outside last night, well after dark, and I thought I heard LifeFlight go over. Now I know why.

So sad. Hope the guy is OK.

McEachern is no longer the school it was when my kids went there. Then again, Powder Springs is no longer the town it was when we moved here 30 years ago.

A group of Mcheachern (sp) students arrived at a graduation party last night for Hiram High graduates and were asked to leave by the mom of the student throwing the party, because they were not invited and she didnt want any trouble. They were upset and started arguing with the mother, a graduate arrived and saw what was going on and came to the defense of the mother and was then shot in the abdomen by one of the boys in the group. He was airlifted to Grady and surgery was performed to remove the bullet and to repair his liver that was damaged. He is now in ICU and is expected to be okay. Its sad that these students couldnt celebrate their milestone in peace, without some hoodlums coming to start trouble. As of this morning the group of boys had not been caught, and its sad that a fellow graduate of these students brought this group to the party, this was his first year at Hiram and he came from Mcheachern. He needs to be charged as well, even if he didnt know that they brought a gun. He ran with them after the shooting. Please keep Joel in your prayers for a speedy recovery.

I saw a story about the shooting on WSB news but there's not a link on their website. Very scary!

Prayers for the victim.

I saw on channel 2 and they said that they were not getting corporation with this.........The Media not anyone from the County said this :mellow:

I had that many people at my wedding. At least 1/2 of them were under 22 and guess what??? Nobody was shot. That's just a foolish statement!!!

Ugadawgs98 is a police officer, so I'm guessing he's speaking from *experience*. ;) And there's a big difference between a wedding crowd where HALF the attendees are quite young, and a grad party where ALL the attendees are quite young. Different demographic altogether.

For a long time now, there have been news stories EVERY YEAR about graduation parties turning into shoot-outs, so this is nothing new. Perhaps that's what Ugadawgs meant when he stated that the host should have been aware of the possibility of trouble.

I hope the young victim is doing much better today, and that the shooter and his cohorts are caught and tried appropriately.

I saw on channel 2 and they said that they were not getting corporation with this.........The Media not anyone from the County said this :mellow:

The police took statements from everyone there(my son included) and they know the name of the former McEachern student who graduated from Hiram on Saturday. The fact that he brought these thugs to a party where his fellow graduates would be still pi$$e$ me off. But, they should be able to find the others through him. As of last night, they still hadnt found them. Must be hiding.