Recent Topics Recent Topics

Photo

Awards for A or A/B Honor Roll...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
66 replies to this topic

Poll: Awards for A or A/B Honor Roll (138 member(s) have cast votes)

Should these awards be given with other awards at year's end?

1. Absolutely. Recognize hard work and excellence! The kids appreciate it, and others may try harder next time. (135 votes [97.83%])

Percentage of vote: 97.83%

2. No way! Stuff it in their backpack like a dirty little secret. After all, we wouldn't want little Johnny's feelings to get hurt. (3 votes [2.17%])

Percentage of vote: 2.17%

Vote

#1 C_Watkins

C_Watkins

Icon

• +Member plus Orange
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 05:20 PM

Now, I know you can't tell which way I'm leaning, with such fair and obviously unbiased questions tongue.gif

~sigh~
Just disgusted, I suppose... at what we're becoming. rolleyes.gif

#2 Oh No Its Me

Oh No Its Me

I'm a ninja!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,821 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 05:26 PM

I think that the kids should be rewarded....definately celebrate their accomplishments. My first grader knew if you do good you get an award, that was motivation enough for him to keep his "A" average all year.

If you didn't see it with your own eyes or hear it with you own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

#3 3KIDS4US

3KIDS4US

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 05:33 PM

At my childs school, they have awards day, and the only awards they give out are for A and A/B honor roll and perfect attendance.

#4 luvtennis5

luvtennis5

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,455 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 05:43 PM

I voted they should be recognized. They always did this when my kids were in school..

#5 C_Watkins

C_Watkins

Icon

• +Member plus Orange
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 05:48 PM

Yeah, see... that's what I was thinking, too.
Pretty 'normal' stuff, as these things go, or so I thought.

I mean, otherwise... why even bother to hand out grades?
Hey, just tell kids at the end of the year whether they passed or not.

And my third child, who just graduated Mu Alpha THeta, NHS, advanced w/honors, and all,
I guess some people would prefer she hadn't had worn the special cords/sash/stole/etc...

Still miffed. Good to vent though. Keeps me head from explodin'.

#6 treasure

treasure

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 06:22 PM

Unfortunately this is the way business is becoming also.
The ones who work hard get shut down and those who blow it get bailed out.
I am so sorry your childs accomplishments were not recognized.
Tell him/her that the people on pcom say----WELL DONE. cool.gif

Life is too short to worry.
Live like you were dying.

#7 PauldingMommy

PauldingMommy

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 06:26 PM

Should they also take away scholarships? What is the difference? I believe if my child has worked hard, they should be rewarded by recognition from the school.

#8 C_Watkins

C_Watkins

Icon

• +Member plus Orange
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 06:31 PM

QUOTE (PauldingMommy @ Jun 2 2009, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Should they also take away scholarships? What is the difference? I believe if my child has worked hard, they should be rewarded by recognition from the school.

Yeah.
I mean, they did the attendance awards, like usual.

Hmm... my child can't stand to miss school.
Unfortunately, she missed a few days due to illness, and didn't get one of those awards.
Sure, she wished she would have... but that's life.

But to have a teacher choose to omit these awards, for
things kids have even more control of (generally speaking)
than their attendance, with the statement that they
wouldn't want to upset other children who didn't get one...
Ugh.

If this wasn't by that teacher's choice, then I really wish
she would let parents of honor roll students know, so we
would have a clue where to go to try and get this changed.

I am not the only parent she had this year that was upset about this thing.
I was speaking with a mom at the party who wasn't happy about it at all.
I guess I'm just a tiny bit more vocal tongue.gif

#9 Momma of 3

Momma of 3

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,783 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 06:35 PM

This subject gets my blood boiling dry.gif REWARD the deserving students!

ETA: We have not had any awards (other than PTA for AR & reflections) at our school for 2 years in a row now.

Edited by Momma of 3, 02 June 2009 - 06:37 PM.

Little lady, big mouth!

#10 Myprayers77

Myprayers77

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE (C_Watkins @ Jun 2 2009, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now, I know you can't tell which way I'm leaning, with such fair and obviously unbiased questions tongue.gif

~sigh~
Just disgusted, I suppose... at what we're becoming. rolleyes.gif

To me that ranks up there with "not keeping score and everyone just have a good time"! If the point was just to pass why would anyone make any higher than a 70?

#11 Mr. October

Mr. October

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 08:21 PM

When I saw this week's activities schedule sent home from our son's teacher I noticed that Honor Roll awards was in with class awards ( best smile, goofiest kid,ect.) instead of being listed on HONORS day. I figured it was just a typo since honor roll has ALWAYS been in the gym with all present. Wrong!
Why have an honors day, to give out the attendance award to the kid whose parents sent them to school even when they were sick so my kid gets sick and has to miss school? Perfect attendance is fine, but which is more worthy of school wide recognition, showing up every day or getting all A's every quarter of every year?

After taking a breath I guess it is ok since we know what he has accomplished. Now having to take off 2 days from work instead of one is another matter all together.
"The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor. " Vince Lombardi

#12 Gee~Tee

Gee~Tee

I'm not perfect, but parts of me are pretty AWESOME!

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,812 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 08:30 PM

I dont mind recongizing the children, I just hated sitting through all of it. The kids kept getting loud, and the principal was getting irritated at them. But yeah recongize them for sure!

#13 Fairy22

Fairy22

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:13 PM

QUOTE (Gee~Tee @ Jun 2 2009, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dont mind recongizing the children, I just hated sitting through all of it. The kids kept getting loud, and the principal was getting irritated at them. But yeah recongize them for sure!

Yes, it did become rather lengthy didn't it. Your Lyric was so cute in her denim skirt with the sparklies on the bottom. Tell her Molly's mom said she looked so cute. She did a good job with her part in the poem also.

As for recognition, I think they definately should. The problem is this society is moving toward not hurting anyone's feelings. I can understand not giving out a "You're so dumb" award. But we've gotten a little carried away. Remember a year or two ago, teachers were instructed not to use red pens when correcting students papers, because it could be too much for their psyche? I think thats stupid, but who am I but just a parent that lived through the era that my papers got marked up real good with the red magic marker.

Anyway, recognition is the best way to get the other students motivated, I think.

#14 Paulding Navigator Team

Paulding Navigator Team

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:16 PM

I always hated awards day when I taught.... there was always an injustice to someone... I think that the A and A/B awards should be based on the year end grade... not if a child happens to make a 79 one grading period and loses out for the rest of the year... but what did they make at the end. That's what goes on the permanent record...

Also.. I DESPISE "most improved" awards... it tells the world that this child isn't good at this subject which comes close to a confidentiality issue I think...

Of course... all of this is just my humble opinion... lol tongue.gif

#15 wbp

wbp

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 10:17 PM

I have one in Kindergarten and one in 5th grade. My kindergarten will get her award in class, but they don't make grades such as A or B, they just get meet or exceeds. Now my 5th grader will be receiving all kinds of awards. She has worked very hard to maintain her all A grades for all year. She has had all A's from 1st grade all the way through 5th grade. I feel like she should be recognized in the gym in front of everyone b/c that is a major accomplishment. If more parents would get and stay involved in their child's life then more children could accomplish more and receive an award for their hard work also. Don't take away from a child that has busted her butt all year long just b/c some child didn't care to try. That is not to say all children who don't have good grades don't try, but please don't take away from the ones that do have good grades.

Edited by wbp, 02 June 2009 - 10:18 PM.

Keep on smiling!

#16 THHoneybear

THHoneybear

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:29 PM

Wow,50 to 0!!!Guess ya know what most people think so far. wink.gif biggrin.gif

HB.
Support- HB 615

#17 mom2yana

mom2yana

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:54 PM

This is the second year that my daughter's school will not be recognizing A and A/B Honor roll students.
My daughter misses it. She told me that one of the reasons she worked so hard in 1st and 2nd grades to get good grades WAS BECAUSE OF the awards.

She is now in 4th grade and she feels that she is being punished by the principal for getting good grades.
Are you paying attention Mrs. Principal? She says she is being punished and doesn't understand why she is being punished for getting good grades!
Getting good grades at school is now being treated like your salary in the work place, shhhhh, its a secret and you can't tell, cause someone might get upset!

Of course this is also the same principal who at the begining of last year felt that my daughter, a straight A student in 1st and 2nd grades should not be in 3rd grade.
My daughter proved the principal wrong all last year and all this year and the principal is wrong for not recoginizing the effort and achivement of the A and A/B honor roll students!

Recoginizing the ones who di good just might motivate some of the underachiver's! It has worked in the past.
and if recoginition of A and A/B students motivates even one student to do better, I think it should be done!!

Our schools no longer give failing grades or even D's and that is something we should all be very, very ashamed of, not the students who get A's and B's.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile...

"Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you: Jesus Christ & the American Soldier--One died for your soul, the other for your freedom." Lt. Col. Grant L. Rosensteel, Jr. USAF

#18 The Intern

The Intern

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:59 AM

Coming from a Student perspective I think rewards are Great: I know when I was back in k-12 I would work harder to get better grades because I knew If I got good grades I would get a reward. (usually cash or maybe a movie or cd I had been wanting) and I knew that my parents would be proud of me no matter what grade I got as long as I tried my hardest. Not only can the rewards be Extrinsic (taste, touch feel,type gifts) but you can make the rewards Intrisic (internally motivated etc) as well just by giving them something as simple as a certificate printed from word.It will make the kid feel more appreciated when they get congratulated (or it did me anyway) for working their hardest and being able to see what their hard work earned them..

That's just My opinion
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Whoever said Nothing is Impossible has obviously never tried slamming a revolving door

#19 C_Watkins

C_Watkins

Icon

• +Member plus Orange
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 01:24 AM

This was actually for first grade.
No big awards ceremony or anything... and that's cool.
Just the classroom kids, the teacher, and a few parents.

I haven't found out, yet, if this is a school-specific
policy, or just something the teacher chose to do
on her own. I'm still pretty miffed about it, though.

I still, to this day, recall my first time getting such
an award... and it was in front of all the other kids
grades 1-5. We actually went up on stage, got the
award, shook hands with the principal, etc...
with our parents and the audience clapping for us.

It felt pretty good.
That sort of feeling sticks with a kid.
I just don't see how that can be a bad thing.

Not everybody 'wins'. It's just the way it is.
BUT... seeing others rewarded for winning
has surely motivated plenty of people over
the years, in school, work, performing arts, etc...

Some would have us hide, or even penalize success,
if it can save the feelings of even one underachiever. rolleyes.gif

#20 Linda Phillips-Rogers

Linda Phillips-Rogers

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 05:38 AM

I just graduated with my 3rd degree (all bachelor's) from KSU. All 3 were achieved Summa Cum Laude and yes - I am proud of my accomplishments and very thankful to have my hard work recognized and printed on my diplomas.

I did this as a non-traditional student - I worked at the same time and am a mother of daughters that noticed that Mom was trying hard to do a good job which inspired them to excel. My oldest daughter graduated from SPHS in 2008 with honors and my youngest will be a senior next year and is in the top 5% of her class. Since I have been in school and pretty busy the last 6 years I can honestly say they earned their rewards on their own with very little help from me. In 2006 all three of us were selected for Who's Who as students!

We just had Honors Night at SPHS and the theater was packed with proud parents. I know how each of those parents would have voted on this.

I also have an idea as to who would vote the other way on this.

Consistently giving your best effort should be rewarded - in all situations.

Linda Phillips-Rogers
Posted Image
Music Teacher, Performer, Composer
Please visit my Website

#21 jmal0802

jmal0802

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 05:39 AM

QUOTE (C_Watkins @ Jun 3 2009, 01:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This was actually for first grade.
No big awards ceremony or anything... and that's cool.
Just the classroom kids, the teacher, and a few parents.

I still, to this day, recall my first time getting such
an award... and it was in front of all the other kids
grades 1-5. We actually went up on stage, got the
award, shook hands with the principal, etc...
with our parents and the audience clapping for us.

It felt pretty good.
That sort of feeling sticks with a kid.
I just don't see how that can be a bad thing.

Not everybody 'wins'. It's just the way it is.
BUT... seeing others rewarded for winning
has surely motivated plenty of people over
the years, in school, work, performing arts, etc...

Some would have us hide, or even penalize success,
if it can save the feelings of even one underachiever. rolleyes.gif

That's life. It makes me see red that society has to level the playing field now--- and it starts so young! Evenually, the kids that do care will stop trying to do well. What's the point? I just don't get it. wacko.gif

#22 Unknown-770

Unknown-770

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 08:50 AM

QUOTE (jmal0802 @ Jun 3 2009, 06:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's life. It makes me see red that society has to level the playing field now--- and it starts so young! Evenually, the kids that do care will stop trying to do well. What's the point? I just don't get it. wacko.gif

If the smart kids stop caring and stop learning they become stupid, and a stupid population is the same as a population without arms.....easier to control.

Share the wealth, grades, everything. It will bring us all together and we will all finally be equal.

Unattended Children will be given an Espresso and a Free Puppy!

#23 Nolongerhere

Nolongerhere

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,704 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:47 AM

Personally, I think they make good firewood kindle rolleyes.gif I grew up always on the honor roll as did my oldest son ( before we started homeschooling ). He and I both had the same reaction .. after so many of them .. they pretty much didn't mean anything anymore. My son actually started dropping his grades on purpose so that he wouldn't get one. He didn't like the attention from it.
Moved on to a more positive and enriching environment =)

#24 Elwood

Elwood

Paulding Com member

• +MPS extra
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:10 AM

Some people thrive on attention...some don't...

Posted Image

Of course the government keeps its promises! Don't worry about a thing...

If you need a list to protect your children you're not a very good parent.

Life is not sterile.
Just because bad things happen to good people doesn't mean they didn't deserve it.

Even the best fall down sometimes.

Stay away from broken people.

#25 gradymedic

gradymedic

Paulding Com member

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 11:03 AM

Yes, I feel like my child should be rewarded for doing good.

#26 C_Watkins

C_Watkins

Icon

• +Member plus Orange
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 04:52 PM

QUOTE (C_Watkins @ Jun 3 2009, 02:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I'm still left to assume that this was, ultimately, a 'teacher's choice' sort of thing.

Something I 'just' heard leads me to believe this isn't necessarily the case, but I really wish
her teacher would've simply told us about it, if that's true. (My wife has been in, volunteering,
at least one day a week, for the last few months.)

I find myself in a position of really needing to just 'let it go', at this point.
Especially since I'm still not quite sure who it is that needs the earful.

Damn. Toss 'em a bone, sometimes.
That's all I'm sayin'.
Also, if you're skipping the academic achievement awards... just skip them all, imo.

--
Chris

#27 Lakota

Lakota

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 12:26 PM

Only give the awards if the other kids are receiving some type of award also. The other children do not have to receive a/b honor roll also.. but does it really make you feel that big when you pick on children and make them fell like crap. First grade is first grade.. most kids only know that they are going to school and doing work.. alot of parents don't even help there kids. ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

#28 2busy4?

2busy4?

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:53 PM

My younger son has struggled with his grades all year. He came home today with an all A/B honor roll -- he was so happy & I almost started crying when he told me... I think it makes the kids that want to succeed try even harder to do it.
Keep your heart pure, your mind open, and your gun loaded.

-- Hetty, NCIS LA

I have 452 Facebook Friends... I know some of them.

-- One of My FB friends (I know this one!!!)

#29 Kderry9138

Kderry9138

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 07:23 PM

I am a teacher in middle school and I totally agree with rewarding kids for hard work. This past year I put up bar graphs of each of my classes overall average every Friday. The classes would compete to see who would have the highest average at the end of the week. At the end of the 9 weeks, the winning class would get a treat. Some of my classes brought their averages up from 60-70's to high 80's. ALL 5 of my classes had an A or B overall average. I was so impressed with their hard work. I had kids turning in work that never turned in assignments. It didn't single out any child for good or poor work habits, but it did show them that everyone working hard can make a difference. I ended up rewarding all of my classes with a popcorn machine in class and they got to eat popcorn all day. The highest class got to sit wherever they wanted in the lunchroom one day that week. Simple rewards can inspire greatness. How many times do we as adults jump at the chance to "win a prize" or get a great deal on something? Our society is based on a rewards system and the desire for competition. Those who want to level the playing will take that challenge away and we will all have to settle for mediocracy.
"The most important legacy a mother can leave her children is the quality of her own life"

#30 Lil' Bit

Lil' Bit

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:35 PM

SPMS is having theirs tomorrow. smile.gif

Handmade Gifts, Crafts & More. A Lil' Bit Of Everything!!

Visit My Tupperware Website

E-mail Me

Do you think your haunted? Call:404-539-4850

#31 cuda

cuda

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:43 PM

I have to say I knew this was going to be an issue in my family. My 2nd grader has tried all year and was A/B honor except for the first report card she had a high C. Whe brought all her grades up to mostly A but becaue she had that C early on her and another little boy did not get a metal. By the time she came home she was sobbing, heartbroken. Why could they not have given a bronze metal. She improved in reading and acutally got an award for PE. We were so very proud of her but she was heartbroken. She wanted a medal. I have to admit that some of the things that have been going on this past year are heartbreaking. Just to much to get into. I am thankful this year is over with. Now I have to make my own decision about next year.

#32 CamoChick

CamoChick

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,439 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 06:29 AM

I think they should be awarded. They work hard all year to keep their grades. At Burnt Hickory they also had conducts awards. Every child got an award in the classroom. My sons teacher let them vote kinda like superlatives and the kids loved that. my son got honor roll, conduct award and most athletic. He was so proud.

Posted Image

#33 BabeCake

BabeCake

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 01:19 PM

Today at 5th grade graduation, students recieved awards for science, social studies, math, language arts, reading, and attendance. Individual awards, except for honor roll, were announced in the classes . The honor roll certificates were quietly handed out to the students at the end of the class parties.

#34 snoopy64

snoopy64

Paulding Com member

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 02:42 PM

QUOTE (cuda @ Jun 4 2009, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have to say I knew this was going to be an issue in my family. My 2nd grader has tried all year and was A/B honor except for the first report card she had a high C. Whe brought all her grades up to mostly A but becaue she had that C early on her and another little boy did not get a metal. By the time she came home she was sobbing, heartbroken. Why could they not have given a bronze metal. She improved in reading and acutally got an award for PE. We were so very proud of her but she was heartbroken. She wanted a medal. I have to admit that some of the things that have been going on this past year are heartbreaking. Just to much to get into. I am thankful this year is over with. Now I have to make my own decision about next year.

I'm sorry she was heartbroken, but she did get an award. Just because she didn't get the award she wanted doesn't mean they shouldn't give out those awards. My daughter got the honor roll award, but she will NEVER get the physical fitness award and she would like that. She should still work hard to get it even if it might not be in the cards for her. The teachers seem to try and make sure everyone does get something. The children who got all A's or all A's and Bs ALL year deserve their awards too.

QUOTE (BabeCake @ Jun 5 2009, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Today at 5th grade graduation, students recieved awards for science, social studies, math, language arts, reading, and attendance. Individual awards, except for honor roll, were announced in the classes . The honor roll certificates were quietly handed out to the students at the end of the class parties.

I don't understand the thought process there. Those awards should have been the biggies!

#35 ranger23

ranger23

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 03:50 PM

can we name the schools that do not give these awards as an honor? I think the people in these school districts should know. Obviously most already know if they have kids there but the ones that will have kids in school later should know. Since some schools do and others don't, I have to asume it is the principles decicsion. In that case lets voice our opinions to the BOE, we just need to know which administrators are responsible.

#36 C_Watkins

C_Watkins

Icon

• +Member plus Orange
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 04:05 PM

I'm not even sure if it's a matter of board or school policy, at this point...
or if it's a 'teacher's choice' sort of thing. I've heard something that leads me
to believe that the teacher may have not had much of a choice, but I don't know.

At least she finally got it. We were beginning to wonder. rolleyes.gif

#37 Lady Tass

Lady Tass

Official PCOM STALKER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,080 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 04:53 PM

I have sat through all mine and everyone else’s, I am still breathing.. I have also, sadly missed a few. But I think everyone likes having their 15 minutes, and for some it gives them that much more incentive so Yeah. let them have their day. Sorry i didn't read the whole thread..but Yes, as sure as anyone would rather be recognized at their situation, in an open manner
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Reading the Scarlett Letter!

#38 GO*BAMA

GO*BAMA

In War, Everday is Memorial Day! SEMPER FI!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,856 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 09:52 PM

QUOTE (Lady Tass @ Jun 5 2009, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have sat through all mine and everyone else’s, I am still breathing.. I have also, sadly missed a few. But I think everyone likes having their 15 minutes, and for some it gives them that much more incentive so Yeah. let them have their day. Sorry i didn't read the whole thread..but Yes, as sure as anyone would rather be recognized at their situation, in an open manner

**hi-jack** Hey woman- where ya been? Good to see ya back!! **hi-jack over**
What we see when watching others depends on the purity of the window through which we look.
Sometimes love has to drive a nail into it's on hand!

Posted Image Posted Image In honor of my cuz who's serving in Iraq! [size=1][color="#4169E1"]

#39 cherokeewoman

cherokeewoman

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,589 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 04:49 AM

Many long years ago when I attended elementry school, we did not have award programs, we had no high expecitions, we just did our best and went on with our schooling.... we were not made to listen who did best in the class, and if we did not we were made to have to listen who were above use, was this so bad, I don't think so... at this level, it was not like we were getting a degree..... I think too much expecitions are put on our kids.... you go thru elementry school, and you go forward, they have a ceremony...... why does every class have to have a ceremony at the end of the year, unless they go forward like 5th graders? or the end of middle school, or graduation at high school? We are putting too much on our children........ let them be kids...
Reward are great but for certain grade levels..... should you have a graduation ceremony for each class level, I don't think so.....

#40 BonJoviLover

BonJoviLover

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 05:15 AM

Hard work should be reconized. If they got a 79 one time, it's just a life lesson, you can't always be perfect. Things happen. We all need to know that.

Maybe you could give her/him an award. I know I did that for my son when he did not get one and and he loved it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics