Paulding.com

Possible Uses for Seven Hills Extension

All,

When the economy turns around, what does the county plan on doing with the Seven Hills Extension Parkway (i.e. commercial, industrial, residential, parks...) Initially we thought Wellstar would be building a large healthcare campus, but unfortunately they pulled out. I was thinking it would be a good area for college university. It would create jobs, and spur the economy. Maybe a satellite campus for Kennesaw State Universite (a land-locked Campus). What are your ideas/suggestions?

We call that whole area Seven Landfill Hills. (Was that actually a hill or did they build houses on one of the dumps?)

You know it's got to smell 'ripe' when the wind blows in that direction.

It was a Hill at one time. It's like the Rec. Dept. and Animal Control are built on "The Old Dump". Now with that being said they could always build another park for our Kids/Grandkids to play on.

I can't for the life of me understand why they built Seven Hills Sub There! As a homeowner in that Sub. Were they aware it was close or on the landfill area?

Edited by Grayce

We are talking PAULDING here. Something useful? Something productive? Create jobs? You have got to be kidding!!

How about another lovely bus depot?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

And we could alway use another small shopping center. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
We are talking PAULDING here. Something useful? Something productive? Create jobs? You have got to be kidding!!

yes, and don't forget a nail salon with a cleaners as well :rolleyes:

All,

When the economy turns around, what does the county plan on doing with the Seven Hills Extension Parkway (i.e. commercial, industrial, residential, parks...) Initially we thought Wellstar would be building a large healthcare campus, but unfortunately they pulled out. I was thinking it would be a good area for college university. It would create jobs, and spur the economy. Maybe a satellite campus for Kennesaw State Universite (a land-locked Campus). What are your ideas/suggestions?

I thought a hospital out there was a great idea. What hospital is closest for the residents there?

I think it might get a lot of patients from Cobb and Bartow also.

Wellstar is not the only hospital system. I think the county could support 2 because of the location out there.

I know a lot of people on the south end of the county use Tanner right now.

My church thought of purchasing land in the area, but the county seems to not want "non tax producing" enterprises in the area. Thanks King Austin.

So, my suggestion is a large church with private school, and an athletic program to serve the community.

Or YMCA branch.

A YMCA is a great idea!! The one in Cobb is just too far away for us to use regularly.

:drinks:

Duh! Cobb County YMCA has already purchased a large tract on Cedarcrest and has got active soccer fields on part of it.

That's already in the works.

Duh! Cobb County YMCA has already purchased a large tract on Cedarcrest and has got active soccer fields on part of it.

That's already in the works.

Don't care anything about soccer fields... :nea:

I prefer the building itself with the classes, pool, gym and track.

Maybe even a skating park or paintball field.

The location of the proposed (and canceled) hospital on Seven Hills extention was actually north of Cedarcrest a good three or four miles north of the waste transfer station/landfill.

The land where the landfill was will never be built upon although it may ultimately benefit from some landscaping for a golf course or other outdoor activity.

As far as building in the area, it was available generally as large tracts and at a good price, offered a good location close to 75/41 and Cobb. A lot of smart folks invested in homes in the area and the presence of the closed landfill is secondary to the other attributes of the properties.

pubby

Or a church...or a beer store. How bout another BBQ joint?

Another idea would be medical offices to support the future Wellstar North Campus (Cobb Pkwy north of Cedarcrest).

KSU's nursing program could also have a training center there. Same could be true for Georgia Highlands, North Metro Tech, and Chattahoochee Tech.

Edited by Cedarcrest Informer
Don't care anything about soccer fields... :nea:

I prefer the building itself with the classes, pool, gym and track.

Maybe even a skating park or paintball field.

When it was purchased, there was talk about them putting their corporate headquarters there, with all sort of cool stuff.......guess we'll have to see.

The location of the proposed (and canceled) hospital on Seven Hills extention was actually north of Cedarcrest a good three or four miles north of the waste transfer station/landfill.

The land where the landfill was will never be built upon although it may ultimately benefit from some landscaping for a golf course or other outdoor activity.

As far as building in the area, it was available generally as large tracts and at a good price, offered a good location close to 75/41 and Cobb. A lot of smart folks invested in homes in the area and the presence of the closed landfill is secondary to the other attributes of the properties.

pubby

Thank you Pubby for offering some intelligent reason to this conversation. I happen to live in Seven Hills, it was really my husband that wanted to. But, I am so tired of everyone always condemning where I live. I never smell anything honestly and someone somewhere has to live near a landfill. I do hear the gun shots from the gun range occasionally but I am just thankful for the presence of the Sheriffs. I like the schools here very much also.

• Like 1
Is it, or was it in the past a landfill? There is a significant difference between a landfill and a wast transfer facility.

Yes the old county landfill was where the transfer station is now located. Lots of monitoring wells, lots of ground water contaimination problems. David Austin tells us in his State of the County Address there is much environental work and $ to be spent on this old site in the near future. If I am not mistaken Seven Hills is not built over the old landfill, but it is certainly in the same area or neighborhood. The old landfill was not lined like modern day landfills, so I would expect it is reasonable to assume the ground water runs under Seven Hills and the old landfill.

Nothing is built on the old landfill.....I do not know why people keep saying that. Yes...Seven Hills is close to it....so are all the subdivision on Cedarcrest and Ivey Gulledge.

Is this empty land next to seven hills the sub division?

On the other side of Cedarcrest across from Seven Hills.

Edited by Ugadawgs98

I think we have the nicest entrance to a landfill there is in the state.

I always get a smirk on my face every time I drive in there just thinking about how the developers forced the school bond on us and then the wheels ran off their train. There's that damn Karma train again. :lol:

Man! Those guys must have screwed a bunch of folks to wind up in the shape that they are in. :blink:

• Like 1

As I understand it, it was the Dallas Mayor who caused Wellstar to cancel their plans for the area although they politely said that they didn't need it. My suggestion is that you should ask him what he would suggest.

I also read that the extension was supposed to be part of a new route to I-75, but with the lack of funds, that may be off too.

Isn't the old courthouse being converted into a satellite college for 2 colleges, one of which is KSU?

All,

I think we have the nicest entrance to a landfill there is in the state.

I always get a smirk on my face every time I drive in there just thinking about how the developers forced the school bond on us and then the wheels ran off their train. There's that damn Karma train again. :lol:

Man! Those guys must have screwed a bunch of folks to wind up in the shape that they are in. :blink:

Yeah, ALL us Paulding Tax payers! ;)

Edited by Far West
Seems like a good place for a sewage treatment plant. ;)

:lol:

And some stinky fields to go with the stinky transfer station? :o :ph34r:

Did I just say that out loud? I would just love to see Wayne Kirby say he "got screwed" again. After the fire station needed to be re-bid to actually get decent bid proposals and design... that was classic he finally realized it was a new day ... no more back door deals!