Paulding.com

The Paulding.com News for Friday, April 24, 2009

Somehow, the victory doesn't seem like much of a victory. How do you condem forrest land anyway? Really, How much power do the people really have any more?

"People shouldn't fear their government. Government should fear the people."

Edited by jlh10101
Somehow, the victory doesn't seem like much of a victory. How do you condem forrest land anyway? Really, How much power do the people really have any more?

People really have strong feelings about the Gov. taking land, thats why I was surprised people were not talking more about this.

Shouldn't this topics subheading say: County residents have to pay 3.2 million dollars in land settlement. After all we are going to pay for it.

Yep! and it may slow down the progress of the airport.

Slow down? What progress have you seen in the last year. They poured a bunch of concrete and stopped. This must be economic stimulus working it's majic. ;)

I will have to go out there and check for myself whether anythings been done.

Maybe I can interview Mr. Swafford and find out where we are.

This is a huge long term project, and I am sure the economy has slowed it down.

It's here the sooner it becomes profitable for the county the better.

I am really surprised there has not been much discussion about the county being successfully sued for 3.2 million dollars.

The last commission grabbed the land for an airport that was unwanted by the citizens and now the citizens must pay a fair price for the land. Heck, name it Shearin's Folly.

I will have to go out there and check for myself whether anythings been done.

Maybe I can interview Mr. Swafford and find out where we are.

This is a huge long term project, and I am sure the economy has slowed it down.

It's here the sooner it becomes profitable for the county the better.

Profitable for the county appears to mean costly for it's citizens. ;)

Yep! and it may slow down the progress of the airport.

Good grief - do you want Paulding County to fail as it certainly appears so to me, I have pride in the county in which I have lived for most of my adult life and I personally want to see it thrive, yet, I have enough common sense to realize that just as in every other area of the country, things are slow ecomomically. This certainly is not exclusive to Paulding County.

I have to ask also, is this the image that you as the Marketing Person of pauding.com wants to portray to the public - do you want them to think Paulding County is a bad place to live and do buisness in? I really don't know as I don't really know you and I am just asking. I personally believe that Paulding County has so much to offer and I am very proud to be a resident here and a contributing member of the community!

I, from a legal standpoint, also know that condemnation cases rarely go in favor of the entity condemning the property and before you ask, yes, I have been personally involved in one of these cases in Bartow County lately (within the last few months). Where is the news that you think is "almighty important"?

Good grief - do you want Paulding County to fail as it certainly appears so to me, I have pride in the county in which I have lived for most of my adult life and I personally want to see it thrive, yet, I have enough common sense to realize that just as in every other area of the country, things are slow ecomomically. This certainly is not exclusive to Paulding County.

I have to ask also, is this the image that you as the Marketing Person of pauding.com wants to portray to the public - do you want them to think Paulding County is a bad place to live and do buisness in? I really don't know as I don't really know you and I am just asking. I personally believe that Paulding County has so much to offer and I am very proud to be a resident here and a contributing member of the community!

I, from a legal standpoint, also know that condemnation cases rarely go in favor of the entity condemning the property and before you ask, yes, I have been personally involved in one of these cases in Bartow County lately (within the last few months). Where is the news that you think is "almighty important"?

I don't know how you assumed that was my attitude from that statement.

I have never said anything negative about the airport, I read a couple in this thread, perhaps you have me mixed up with them.

My statement was referring to the fact that 3.2 million would buy a lot of terminal, that is a fact.

As far as me being positive and supportive of business, I think one of the clips in there speaks for itself, and the commerce members on here will tell you how supportive I am.

This is very important news, it affects us all.

Do you think running this story was wrong, and puts the county in a bad light? should it have been kept quiet? it's news.

And as far as knowing me personally, no you don't, that is obvious by your assuming remarks to me.

It came off as very personal, since there were people in here clearly negative about the airport, yet you chose to attack me.

You need to go back and read the post, and direct your remarks towards the people that are not proud and supportive citizens of Paulding county.

I don't know how you assumed that was my attitude from that statement.

I have never said anything negative about the airport, I read a couple in this thread, perhaps you have me mixed up with them.

My statement was referring to the fact that 3.2 million would buy a lot of terminal, that is a fact.

As far as me being positive and supportive of business, I think one of the clips in there speaks for itself, and the commerce members on here will tell you how supportive I am.

This is very important news, it affects us all.

Do you think running this story was wrong, and puts the county in a bad light? should it have been kept quiet? it's news.

And as far as knowing me personally, no you don't, that is obvious by your assuming remarks to me.

It came off as very personal, since there were people in here clearly negative about the airport, yet you chose to attack me.

You need to go back and read the post, and direct your remarks towards the people that are not proud and supportive citizens of Paulding county.

My assumptions are actually a culmination of events and posts by you here on paulding.com. I am quite capable and intellectually responsible for the conclusions I make and they are my opinions and it really doesn't matter to me whether you agree with them or not.

How did you get that LPPT wanted the county to fail? That made no sense at all.

As far as slowing down the development ... LPPT ... that would have been more likely had the award been $5 or $10 million instead of the $3.2 million actually awarded.

In fact, as the story pointed out, a round of mediation came up with the exact $3.2 million figure and from the time of the condemnation, there has been $2.5 million held in escrow as that was the figure the county agreed to when they chose to condemn the property (actually the low appraisal.) Basically the county expected to pay that amount as that is what the special master in the arbitration felt was the fair market value.

The thing that bothered me and I believe LPPT about this condemnation is that the guy, Andres Weaver, is one of the 'capitalist/investors' who I believe is in a position to help market the county. He is in the business of marketing investment property he owns and the county took not only what it needed to build the airport but took an extra 150 acres of land for industrial development surrounding the airport including the land that made access to 278.

To me it would be like someone getting the government to put in an interchange on the Interstate and rather than just taking the land needed for the cloverleaf, the county takes by eminent domain 300 acres of land at each corner around the intersection that would be suitable for retail development (gas stations, retail stores, etc. ) ... and paid the owner the 'farm land price.'

While there are some issues with the 'extra land' in terms of terrain, certainly commercial/industrial land near an airport facility ... and assuming water and sewer is made available ... could be worth $100,000/acre or more. And while to get the land suitable for industrial development may take $40-50,000/acre (or more) to level it and bring utilities, the potential for a windfall for the IBA is obvious.

At this juncture, though, let me say that the argument here can go both ways. I.e. why should a landowner enjoy the appreciation of his land from $6,500/acre timberland - which is probably a fair value of the land if there was no airport going in - to $120,000/acre industrial land because the government (state, local and federal) spend $25 million to build an airport? That argument is that "Shouldn't the government and people get that windfall?"

LPPT is just one of those folks who wonders whether the original landowner, who had his cards cashed in on the cheap by force of government, wasn't left holding a bag that should be full of money.

Me, I see the potential leverage it gives the IBA in its ability to market the property. I.e. by owning the land at that rate, they might be able to entice a key business to locate there and one of the incentives offered is land at under $10,000/acre - a figure that could give our pitch as a place to build a factory and bring jobs a distinct advantage.

pubby

PS: I sense that if the extra land would have really had the kind of value, then Weaver would have asked for a portion of the land back in his suit. We know they only needed about 350 acres for the airport proper and while the taxpayer-juriors may have been reluctant to provide them money, they probably would have been willing to give the unneeded land back. However we know they didn't seek the return of the land and so the legitimacy of the condemnation was not even challenged in this particular proceeding. If that had been the issue, I feel the jury might have ruled that the land not used for the airport should revert to the landowner. but as the defense didn't suggest it as an option - they wanted to take the cash and run - it was not possible.

Weaver asked for cash and he got the cash the jury decided to give him.

How did you get that LPPT wanted the county to fail? That made no sense at all.

As far as slowing down the development ... LPPT ... that would have been more likely had the award been $5 or $10 million instead of the $3.2 million actually awarded.

In fact, as the story pointed out, a round of mediation came up with the exact $3.2 million figure and from the time of the condemnation, there has been $2.5 million held in escrow as that was the figure the county agreed to when they chose to condemn the property (actually the low appraisal.) Basically the county expected to pay that amount as that is what the special master in the arbitration felt was the fair market value.

The thing that bothered me and I believe LPPT about this condemnation is that the guy, Andres Weaver, is one of the 'capitalist/investors' who I believe is in a position to help market the county. He is in the business of marketing investment property he owns and the county took not only what it needed to build the airport but took an extra 150 acres of land for industrial development surrounding the airport including the land that made access to 278.

To me it would be like someone getting the government to put in an interchange on the Interstate and rather than just taking the land needed for the cloverleaf, the county takes by eminent domain 300 acres of land at each corner around the intersection that would be suitable for retail development (gas stations, retail stores, etc. ) ... and paid the owner the 'farm land price.'

While there are some issues with the 'extra land' in terms of terrain, certainly commercial/industrial land near an airport facility ... and assuming water and sewer is made available ... could be worth $100,000/acre or more. And while to get the land suitable for industrial development may take $40-50,000/acre (or more) to level it and bring utilities, the potential for a windfall for the IBA is obvious.

At this juncture, though, let me say that the argument here can go both ways. I.e. why should a landowner enjoy the appreciation of his land from $6,500/acre timberland - which is probably a fair value of the land if there was no airport going in - to $120,000/acre industrial land because the government (state, local and federal) spend $25 million to build an airport? That argument is that "Shouldn't the government and people get that windfall?"

LPPT is just one of those folks who wonders whether the original landowner, who had his cards cashed in on the cheap by force of government, wasn't left holding a bag that should be full of money.

Me, I see the potential leverage it gives the IBA in its ability to market the property. I.e. by owning the land at that rate, they might be able to entice a key business to locate there and one of the incentives offered is land at under $10,000/acre - a figure that could give our pitch as a place to build a factory and bring jobs a distinct advantage.

pubby

PS: I sense that if the extra land would have really had the kind of value, then Weaver would have asked for a portion of the land back in his suit. We know they only needed about 350 acres for the airport proper and while the taxpayer-juriors may have been reluctant to provide them money, they probably would have been willing to give the unneeded land back. However we know they didn't seek the return of the land and so the legitimacy of the condemnation was not even challenged in this particular proceeding. If that had been the issue, I feel the jury might have ruled that the land not used for the airport should revert to the landowner. but as the defense didn't suggest it as an option - they wanted to take the cash and run - it was not possible.

Weaver asked for cash and he got the cash the jury decided to give him.

When you two become experts in this field, please get back with me! :lol:

As I have stated, I have drawn my conclusion from not only LPPT's above post, but from a culmination of other posts. Try as you might Pubby but the "spin" you put on this situation is absurd. You and LPPT have not given me any reason whatsover to believe that your posts deserve any merit (my humble opinion of course) - if you had, I would have certainly given credit where credit was due.

If the shoe fits............well, you know the rest of the story. :lol:

I would like to say that LPPT is one of the most supportive individuals of the Paulding County business community.

Pubby is a news man and does report the facts and does not use rose colored glasses in his reporting.

I would like to say that LPPT is one of the most supportive individuals of the Paulding County business community.

Pubby is a news man and does report the facts and does not use rose colored glasses in his reporting.

I certainly hope that LPPT is supportive of the businesses here on paulding.com as that is her job to do so. There are many others here on paulding.com and many outside of paulding.com, that are also VERY SUPPORTIVE of the business community and the community in general here in Paulding County. This feat has been carried out by many members of this community in many ways, shapes and forms.

:clapping:

LPPT is VERY suportive of ALL Paulding County businesses

She is a WONDERFUL person as well.

Sounds to me like the County got out of this one "OK", and the plantiff got $700,000 more than he was originally offered by the county before they condemned the land and took it.

And, I am assuming this dollar amount will still be covered, at least for the most part, by one or more of the FAA grants for building the airport as per all of the original budget outlines. Of Course if the $700,000 has to come from the county general fund, then this will be even more money "WE" are spending on the airport even though King Jerry and Prince Blake swore up and down to the taxpayers of Paullding that NO county money would have to be used for their airport.

Now don't get me wrong, I think the airport will be a check-off in the Positive colume for certain businesses looking to move to Paulding.

Of course and even bigger Check-Off in the positive colume would be if there were some good sized industrial buildings available to rent in a nice A+ Industrial Office Park.

wait a minute. when this whole mess started, i remember being told time and time again, that the development wasn't going to cost the tax payers, as it was a federal grant or something that allowed the airstrip to be built ( i can't bring myself to call it an airport yet, not until there's more than a strip there)

tell me how this lawsuit will be paid, if not with tax dollars.

It would be nice if Pubby could get Blake Swafford to provide the actual details.

As I stated above, there was funding to purchase the land coming from the Feds. Now, if that was for 500+ or 350 acres would have to be confirmed, as well as the price. My guess would be the Feds will cover the original $2.5 million, and possibly some of the other. But, I have the feeling the taxpayers will end up paying both the extra $700,000 plus the 150 acres they plan to use between the airport and 278. But, I do believe I recall the county obtaining a grant for all or part of that purchase as well.

I sincerely hope it will not cost the taxpayers anything, but I have the feeling we won't get off completely free.

Sounds to me like the County got out of this one "OK", and the plantiff got $700,000 more than he was originally offered by the county before they condemned the land and took it.

And, I am assuming this dollar amount will still be covered, at least for the most part, by one or more of the FAA grants for building the airport as per all of the original budget outlines. Of Course if the $700,000 has to come from the county general fund, then this will be even more money "WE" are spending on the airport even though King Jerry and Prince Blake swore up and down to the taxpayers of Paullding that NO county money would have to be used for their airport.

Now don't get me wrong, I think the airport will be a check-off in the Positive colume for certain businesses looking to move to Paulding.

Of course and even bigger Check-Off in the positive colume would be if there were some good sized industrial buildings available to rent in a nice A+ Industrial Office Park.

It would be nice if Pubby could get Blake Swafford to provide the actual details.

As I stated above, there was funding to purchase the land coming from the Feds. Now, if that was for 500+ or 350 acres would have to be confirmed, as well as the price. My guess would be the Feds will cover the original $2.5 million, and possibly some of the other. But, I have the feeling the taxpayers will end up paying both the extra $700,000 plus the 150 acres they plan to use between the airport and 278. But, I do believe I recall the county obtaining a grant for all or part of that purchase as well.

I sincerely hope it will not cost the taxpayers anything, but I have the feeling we won't get off completely free.

Surepip:

Because the special master in arbitration had set this as the value, the county was pretty much resolved that was going to be the amount ... that the appeal from the special master netted the plaintiff no more money means it is a victory. Indeed, I've gotten a correction on some information that says that the county had already put up the entire $3.2 million ... in a bond to the court.

Here is the info I got by PM.

the information you have written on the topic of the County's condemantion suit is WRONG. Completely WRONG. In 2006, there was a hearing on this matter - the County only had one appraisal at that time - for $6500 per acre. Mr;. Weaver argued for the same $35,000 per acre. The County won that hearing and we paid $3,267,888 into the registry of the Court in order to take the land. Mr. Weaver already has that money. That was not a mediation, but a hearing. Also, in the original hearing, we determined and won that the acreage surrounding the runway would be used for hangars etc on the top side and the bottom side was an uneconomic remnant that we had to take.

So this new judgment means we will be paying NOTHING. Its simply incorrect to write that we owe $700,000 more. We owe nothing. No other monies will be paid to Mr. Weaver for the land. He was paid in 2006.

Please get it right. What is being disseminated now is simply wrong.

Of course a good part of the misinformation came from the competing views of what was presented by opposing counsel. Oh well. The above, from one of the opposing counsel on the winning side, will stand as the record.

As far as the $3.2 million NC-17, the funding for that has already been secured and yes, it includes the 95 percent FAA share plus other state and private sources. That included all 502 acres and it is considered all part of the public project which has an industrial development component. The award as stated was, as I understand, fully anticipated as it was what the county agreed, in the arbitration, would be fair. The $2.5 million $3.2 million was actually a bond with the court therefore the judgement won't slow down the development one bit. Had it been $5 million or $9 million, that would have been a different story.

I fully expect the airport authority and IBA to proceed with the construction of the terminal and the recently let contracts for the leveling of land for hangers. Again, this expense was anticipated and these other projects are likely to continue without a hitch.

pubby

Thank you for obtaining clarification Pubby.

An interview with Blake Swafford would still be nice to get the low down on what they are building, when, with what funding for the terminal building, hangers, and whatever they are planning for the industrial development between the airport and 278.

I was on the jury and the money was put in a special account for Andreas Weaver back in 2006. He disagreed with the amount and did not take it. I think if he had filed suit to retain all that wasn't used he would have fared better. Hindsight is 20/20.

Joe had a pacemaker put in during the court case and my kids were at the hospital with him because I was on jury duty. He had the surgery on Tuesday, came home on Wednesday. On Thursday we were released for lunch and I came in to check on him and had to rush him back to Kennestone with chest pains. I had to be released from jury duty and didn't know the final judgement until today.

I am so glad we have this forum so I could find out the final determination. I'm glad they awarded the amount they chose. We weren't allowed to discuss it before I left but they ruled the same way I was thinking. Does anyone know how long they deliberated?

Joe ended up with inflammation of the heart lining. He's worse now then when he went in the hospital. He went in on Thursday and didn't get out until this last Wednesday. They sent him home with pain meds and Ibuprofen. We will find out Monday if he's worse since they sent him home or maybe some better. That is a heck of a way to get out of jury duty. Wouldn't recommend that one to anyone.

Edited by Little Joe
I was on the jury and the money was put in a special account for Andreas Weaver back in 2006. He disagreed with the amount and did not take it. I think if he had filed suit to retain all that wasn't used he would have fared better. Hindsight is 20/20.

Joe had a pacemaker put in during the court case and my kids were at the hospital with him because I was on jury duty. He had the surgery on Tuesday, came home on Wednesday. On Thursday we were released for lunch and I came in to check on him and had to rush him back to Kennestone with chest pains. I had to be released from jury duty and didn't know the final judgement until today.

I am so glad we have this forum so I could find out the final determination. I'm glad they awarded the amount they chose. We weren't allowed to discuss it before I left but they ruled the same way I was thinking. Does anyone know how long they deliberated?

Joe ended up with inflammation of the heart lining. He's worse now then when he went in the hospital. He went in on Thursday and didn't get out until this last Wednesday. They sent him home with pain meds and Ibuprofen. We will find out Monday if he's worse since they sent him home or maybe some better. That is a heck of a way to get out of jury duty. Wouldn't recommend that one to anyone.

The judge mentioned that you had left for an emergency, and that both sides had agreed to continue should the lose a juror before the start of the trial.

Pubby could tell you how long they deliberated, I had to leave that afternoon.

I hope your husband feels better.

King Jerry did tell us over and over "no sales tax and no general fund money being used... It's like free money". Well it was not free money. Whole different accounting on TV commission meetings now. I agree the airport someday maybe will be a plus for the county. No matter what King Jerry said we gave pumped too much county money in the airport already than to walk away from it. The difference now is we will know what we are getting and how much we are really paying. Nothing is

ever free. King Jerry thought we people were fools. David Austin desires to be accountable to the people.

Surepip:

Because the special master in arbitration had set this as the value, the county was pretty much resolved that was going to be the amount ... that the appeal from the special master netted the plaintiff no more money means it is a victory. Indeed, I've gotten a correction on some information that says that the county had already put up the entire $3.2 million ... in a bond to the court.

Here is the info I got by PM.

the information you have written on the topic of the County's condemantion suit is WRONG. Completely WRONG. In 2006, there was a hearing on this matter - the County only had one appraisal at that time - for $6500 per acre. Mr;. Weaver argued for the same $35,000 per acre. The County won that hearing and we paid $3,267,888 into the registry of the Court in order to take the land. Mr. Weaver already has that money. That was not a mediation, but a hearing. Also, in the original hearing, we determined and won that the acreage surrounding the runway would be used for hangars etc on the top side and the bottom side was an uneconomic remnant that we had to take.

So this new judgment means we will be paying NOTHING. Its simply incorrect to write that we owe $700,000 more. We owe nothing. No other monies will be paid to Mr. Weaver for the land. He was paid in 2006.

Please get it right. What is being disseminated now is simply wrong.

Of course a good part of the misinformation came from the competing views of what was presented by opposing counsel. Oh well. The above, from one of the opposing counsel on the winning side, will stand as the record.

As far as the $3.2 million NC-17, the funding for that has already been secured and yes, it includes the 95 percent FAA share plus other state and private sources. That included all 502 acres and it is considered all part of the public project which has an industrial development component. The award as stated was, as I understand, fully anticipated as it was what the county agreed, in the arbitration, would be fair. The $2.5 million $3.2 million was actually a bond with the court therefore the judgement won't slow down the development one bit. Had it been $5 million or $9 million, that would have been a different story.

I fully expect the airport authority and IBA to proceed with the construction of the terminal and the recently let contracts for the leveling of land for hangers. Again, this expense was anticipated and these other projects are likely to continue without a hitch.

pubby

You are obviously a late-comer to PC. If you had been here for the long-term as a true native (pre 1970) then you would know that the people have fought an airport in the county since the 70's. We went to Atlanta, had news conferences, etc. We beat it then. But as evil does, it reared its ugly head again in the person of Jerry Shearin and his bunch. This CANNOT be good for the county and its especially bad for the rural area it is located it. People, we are losing a very valuable asset - our mountain land and streams. No one seems to care anymore.

You are obviously a late-comer to PC. If you had been here for the long-term as a true native (pre 1970) then you would know that the people have fought an airport in the county since the 70's. We went to Atlanta, had news conferences, etc. We beat it then. But as evil does, it reared its ugly head again in the person of Jerry Shearin and his bunch. This CANNOT be good for the county and its especially bad for the rural area it is located it. People, we are losing a very valuable asset - our mountain land and streams. No one seems to care anymore.

No actually, I have been here 29 years. My husband has lived here all his life (with the exception of his college years) and his family goes back many generations in Paulding County.

I understand about losing valuable mountain land and streams and even though we live out on a large acreage tract, our property has certainly suffered through the growth that our county has experienced. We no longer have a quiet, little road that is just used by people in the family, we have a racetrack in front of our house that people that don't even live here use as a shortcut to get to the main highway.

If the airport were costing the citizens of this county tons of money, I would somewhat understand; however, you can look back over several threads here and do further research and find that the airport was built with federal funds and minimal tax dollars of county money is being used for the airport.

You know, sometimes the leaders of our county just can't win......people start yelling that we need more industry to even out the tax base, we build an airport to accomplish that goal (which it will accomplish that goal). You just can't please "all the people all the time".

I do care deeply about Paulding County and its people and I am proud to be a resident of Paulding.

It still amazes me how the people of the county can vote against things but they are still built, very scary in my opinion.

It still amazes me how the people of the county can vote against things but they are still built, very scary in my opinion.

The vote was only about funding the airport thru a county issued bond, it had nothing to do with the actual building of the airport. The airport was never financed by a bond, so the vote worked as intended.

This is the very reason Paulding County is in the shape it is now. People have fought industry for far too long. The County is 20 years behind the rest of the metro area. You can be assured that if the airport doesn't kick off some industrial development soon, your property taxes will continue to go up and up! Each and every year!