Paulding.com

GETTING HIGH FOR FOOD - Scouting For Food Project

We are aloft on Cedarcrest collecting canned goods for Helping Hands of Paulding County. Come out say hi and help Scouts fight hunger in Paulding County.

Thanks.

Pack 1916

Pack 9161

Troop 2009

Pastor, Banker and Scouting Leaders “Get High” for Food Drive

Paulding County, GA March 26-28, 2009 – Community leaders spend 48 hours in the air in support of this year’s Scouting for Food program. Their goal is to fill up as many tents as possible with canned food items for Helping Hands of Paulding County food pantry.

For 48 hours, Scout Leaders Geof Hutton and Rick Wittenbrook along with Pastor Ken Hagler of Crossroads United Methodist Church and Ed Long of Colonial Bank will remain aloft about 20 feet to raise awareness for Scouting for Food. Scouting for Food is sponsored by the Atlanta Area Council of the Boy Scouts of America and Publix Supermarkets.

Ken and Geof saw an opportunity to combine the efforts of Crossroads UMC and Scouting to help their community in Paulding County. They also see this as an opportunity to rally the growing community of northeast Paulding around a project together. Ed, Vice-President at Colonial Bank of Seven Hills was quick to offer his support. All items collected will go to The Helping Hands of Paulding County, Inc., a local non-profit that helps families in need and supports other food pantries in Paulding County.

On Saturday, March 21st, Scouts and church members will take to the neighborhoods of northeast Paulding County distributing over 4,500 bags donated by Publix. These bags can then be filled throughout the week. On Saturday, March 28th, families can then place their bags at the street for pick-up by Scouts from Cub Scout Packs 1916 and 9161 and Boy Scout Troop 2009.

If you don’t get a bag, want to drop off your own, learn more about Scouting or you just want to see these brave and crazy souls in camping in the air, Geof, Rick, Ken and Ed will be in the Colonial Bank parking lot at the intersection of Cedarcrest Rd. and Seven Hills Blvd., from noon on Thursday, March 26th to 2pm, Saturday, March 28th when all food will be placed in tents before delivering the food to Helping Hands of Paulding County.

Its 11:40 and the fog is here. Rick and I are sitting here talking and keeping an eye on everything. It is getting very quiet.

We can use everyone's help in food donations for Helping Hands. Did you know that last year Helping Hands distributed over 170K pounds of food to those in need here in Paulding County.

Good Morning Paulding County!!!

Just woke up in the air...as in 20 feet up in the air!!! Yes the weather is moving in...at this height you feel the impact of changes in the wind's velocity.

This morning as you get up and get started...come by and drop off you canned food items for Helping Hands of Paulding County. We would love to meet you.

Looks like heavy rain in store for today. Glad you made it overnight without issues. I'll try to stop by today for a visit. Do you need me to bring anything?

A TOWEL...its officially raining...lol

Bring Canned Food

To include a diet coke. :)

I've taken over for the second 24 hour shift. A lot of great support coming in! Thanks for all love from everyone driving by as well as those of you who have already dropped off food.

Some interesting statistics I found the other day related to why we're up here:

* More than 2.8 billion people live on less than the equivalent of $2 per day

* More than 1.2 billion people live on less than the equivalent of $1 per day

* Nearly 1 billion people are illiterate (they can’t read or write)

* More than 1 billion people don’t have access to safe water

* 1/3 of all the world’s children under 5 suffer from malnutrition

* Over 100,000,000 people around the world are homeless

* 750,000 people in the USA in 2005 were homeless

* 41% of these were families

* 3,500,000 people in the USA in 2007 were homeless

* 1,370,000 of which are under 18

Loving Life! (& Living High!)

post-11202-1238180823_thumb.jpg

post-11202-1238180840_thumb.jpg

From my platform high above Cedarcrest Rd. I'm noticing lots of tuxedos and formal dresses so it must be prom somewhere tonight in Paulding.

It is awesome seeing all the support from folks waving to those dropping food off early - PLEASE pass the word and tell everyone about this huge need in Paulding County! To learn more about Helping Hands of Paulding check them out here: http://www.squidoo.com/helpinghandspaulding

post-11202-1238193303_thumb.jpg

Just got back from dropping off my food at the food drive.

A lot of the troops had just returned from picking up bags of food from the local neighborhoods.

Here's the crew that were there while I was there:

post-1238-1238259948_thumb.jpg

Thanks to all who helped with this great cause.

SG

Thank you everyone for your donations to benefit Helping Hands of Paulding County. It was impressive to see the commuity's support during these tough times as the food items arrived. Even after the trailer of food departed with 2128 items from our collection site donations kept arriving; bringing the total to the neighborhood of about 2200 food items collected.

Great job Packs 9161, 1916 and Troop 2009 and everyone else involved ---especally the local merchants!!!

Collection bins are set up in 5 eating establishments along Cedarcrest road through mid-day monday.

Sound Guy thanks for the food donation and thanks for posting the picture.

A final thanks to Jedi Pastor Ken and Crossroads United Methodist Church for all the church's help and support.

Thank you everyone for your donations to benefit Helping Hands of Paulding County. It was impressive to see the commuity's support during these tough times as the food items arrived. Even after the trailer of food departed with 2128 items from our collection site donations kept arriving; bringing the total to the neighborhood of about 2200 food items collected.

Great job Packs 9161, 1916 and Troop 2009 and everyone else involved ---especally the local merchants!!!

Collection bins are set up in 5 eating establishments along Cedarcrest road through mid-day monday.

Sound Guy thanks for the food donation and thanks for posting the picture.

A final thanks to Jedi Pastor Ken and Crossroads United Methodist Church for all the church's help and support.

CONGRATS TO ALL!