Recent Topics Recent Topics

Photo

does anyone know how/where to train for pharmacy tech?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OHIOboundon1028

OHIOboundon1028

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 08:45 PM

if you know please post..thanks

also, if you know where to go to train for dental assistant or hygenist let me know. thanks.

#2 DallasBaseball

DallasBaseball

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:18 PM

I think the pharmacy tech website is www.pctb.com or .org.... I checked into it about a year ago.. I have been a tech for 9 1/2 years. Let me know if you need help. I hope that is the right website...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."- Albert Einstein

#3 Mrs G

Mrs G

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,572 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:27 PM

That is not a valid web site, check out this page............http://search.aol.com/aol/search?query=pharmacy+technician+training%2C+georgia&s_it=client91_inbox&c.userid=2473234957422048402
Do unto others, as you'd have others do unto you!

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly and Leave The Rest To God.

Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behavior does!!

Helping a Neighbor in need, is a Blessing, indeed!!! 04/25/2013

#4 Reubens

Reubens

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:26 PM

QUOTE (OHIOboundon1028 @ Mar 3 2009, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

also, if you know where to go to train for dental assistant or hygenist let me know. thanks.

I think there was a place on windy hill and cobb pkwy that offered this class.

#5 BaSkEtCaSe

BaSkEtCaSe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:09 PM

[quote name='OHIOboundon1028' date='Mar 3 2009, 08:45 PM' post='2626746']

www.ptcb.org

That's where I found out how to be certified, but I was trained on the job. I know some school around here teaches it, but there is no need to go to school for it cause you can still be trained on the job.

#6 SOLO

SOLO

I Have Flying monkeys and Will Use Them

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,780 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:11 PM

QUOTE (Reubens @ Mar 3 2009, 10:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think there was a place on windy hill and cobb pkwy that offered this class.

MEDX??? something like that
Posted Image
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.

Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it Just pee on it and walk away.

s.l.u.t
Stressed-out Ladies Unwinding Together

"People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life like loving everybody all the time and being nice.....dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long

#7 blessedby2

blessedby2

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:11 AM

don't pay for schooloing for pharm tech, the best training is hands on. If you can convince some place to hire you and train you, its the best way. I started when I was 16, some one took a chance on me, and about 15 yrs later I still do it, part time , because I'm a stay at home mom for the most part.
It has alot to do on your age, personality and maturity level. They are not going to hire a young kid who acts like an idiot because the pharmacy has to have employees they can rely on to be there and not call in "sick" on a whim. I think some companies have an age requirement now, not sure so dont quote me, I think where I work they wont hire under 18.

Unfortunately you are not going to make great money to start. The real $$ is in dental hygeine. I know someone that left pharmacy to do that, she only works 3 days a week and makes GREAT $$$$ I believe its only 2 yrs of school, very worth it from what I hear. If you are going to go to school, do that not pharmacy tech.

#8 SOLO

SOLO

I Have Flying monkeys and Will Use Them

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,780 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:19 AM

QUOTE (blessedby2 @ Mar 4 2009, 08:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
don't pay for schooloing for pharm tech, the best training is hands on. If you can convince some place to hire you and train you, its the best way. I started when I was 16, some one took a chance on me, and about 15 yrs later I still do it, part time , because I'm a stay at home mom for the most part.
It has alot to do on your age, personality and maturity level. They are not going to hire a young kid who acts like an idiot because the pharmacy has to have employees they can rely on to be there and not call in "sick" on a whim. I think some companies have an age requirement now, not sure so dont quote me, I think where I work they wont hire under 18.

Unfortunately you are not going to make great money to start. The real $$ is in dental hygeine. I know someone that left pharmacy to do that, she only works 3 days a week and makes GREAT $$$$ I believe its only 2 yrs of school, very worth it from what I hear. If you are going to go to school, do that not pharmacy tech.

It all depends on if you just want to work in a store or if you want to go into a hospital or some other place. Stores may train and that part would be true but a hospital which would pay more would want someone trainned and it is alot more than what they do in a store. First it would be wise to check out the market and see what jobs are out there.
Posted Image
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.

Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it Just pee on it and walk away.

s.l.u.t
Stressed-out Ladies Unwinding Together

"People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life like loving everybody all the time and being nice.....dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long

#9 Go BLUE!

Go BLUE!

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,233 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:23 AM

I was a pharm tech in high school and college for a chain that was bought out by CVS. No training other then on the job. Went from stock boy to filling out scripts overnight ------ Skeery isn't it. laugh.gif

Posted Image
"If heaven ain't a lot like Detroit, I don't wanna go....if they ain't got no 8 Mile like they do up in the D, then send me to hell or Salt Lake City it would be about the same to me." - Uncle Kracker

#10 OHIOboundon1028

OHIOboundon1028

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:15 PM

thanks guys. I am going to look into the websites, and, call around to see if hiring. I have no experience in it but I am smart and easily trainable.
It just seems like an interesting job.

what schools around here offer dental hygienist or even dental assistant training?

#11 kelleyofhiram

kelleyofhiram

Paulding Com member

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE (OHIOboundon1028 @ Mar 4 2009, 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanks guys. I am going to look into the websites, and, call around to see if hiring. I have no experience in it but I am smart and easily trainable.
It just seems like an interesting job.

what schools around here offer dental hygienist or even dental assistant training?

My daughter is a Pharmacy Tech and she was hired without any experience. She is mature for her age and very responsible. She started when she was 16 and then the age rule got changed to 18 after that. But because she was grandfathered in, she got to stay on. She does this part-time when she is home from school. It's a great job for her to fall back on, because of the demand.

Anyway, try the Kroger stores for a start.

Good luck!

#12 Luv2walk

Luv2walk

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:10 PM

It seems like I just saw this on Chattahoochee Tech's site when I was looking for something else.

#13 OHIOboundon1028

OHIOboundon1028

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:50 PM

My mother is a pharmacy tech but she trained in ohio. i jut got a full time job here in marietta without any training. just by talking to the manager of the store so they can train you without going to school for this in the store! thanks to all who answered!

#14 BigEyes

BigEyes

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:36 AM

Basic dental assisting and advanced dental assisting are available at West Georgia Technical College in Douglasville. One semester each = 1 year long program 2-1/2 hours day, M-F. HOPE grant pays for tuition if you can get in.

It's a dual enrollment program for the Douglas County high schools. They get top priority, then remaining spots are open to "traditional" non-high school students.

West Georgia Technical College

Dental Hygeine is also available but it's an Associate's Degree and not covered by the HOPE Grant.

Hope this helps!

Edited by BigEyes, 10 February 2011 - 10:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics