Paulding.com

A third of adults without Internet don't want it

From USA Today

A third of adults without Internet don't want it

WASHINGTON — About one in four American adults have no Internet access. And many of them couldn't care less about getting online.

A recent report by the Pew Internet & American Life Project finds that although price remains a barrier for dial-up users in switching to broadband, one-third of those without a Net connection simply aren't interested in e-mailing or exploring the Web.

The findings come amid the settling-in of an Internet-focused White House, one that sent to Capitol Hill an $819 billion economic stimulus bill last week containing billions for broadband expansion. Still, the new Pew numbers suggest that a noteworthy digital divide lingers in the USA.

"There certainly are those people who have no interest in getting connected to the Internet," says Ben Scott, policy director for Free Press, which runs the Internet for Everyone initiative in Washington. "That does not mean that they won't one day."

<click link to read entire store>

Edited by Hello Sarah?
to protect copyright
My father doesn't even know how to turn the computer on. :unsure:

I "finally" got my mother online about 2 years ago -- Got her the Laptop, Got it Loaded, etc, etc. Setup her Internet, Showed her how to use it, etc., etc.....the whole time, she was fussy.

Now, she loves it.......Go figure...

I own a ISP and have done fine without the governments' help. I do not plan to take any of the fund's, but I would rather have it spent on Broadband then voter fraud. ON the other hand the best thing would be for the government just to butt out.... Don't see it happening