Paulding.com

you beat me to it! He will be missed. I remember watching him in high school. Back when the late show was still funny.

Teacherman

I wanted to say Jay Leno doesnt fit the Carson Show, Jack Paar etc.... dry humor, Johnny used his own personality to work the crowd, he didnt have to say a word and he was funny. Leno has to try hard.

Johnny was the "King of Late Night" for sure. When I was in high school, and also in later years, I never missed 11:30 and the Tonight Show theme and that opening monologue.

Some of my favorite sketches were Art Fern the tv movie matinee host, with that busty actress (name escapes me) always standing at his side. Whenever Art would break for a commercial, he'd always give directions to the car dealership he was pitching: "Take the Santa Monica Boulevard to the Slawson cut-off, get out of the car and cut off your "Slawson"..........." :)

Then of course there was Karnak with that damn envelope, and those funny one liners. (He'd always give the answer first, then open the envelope and read the question and they were always hilarious, and of course those answers were "kept hermetically sealed in a mayonnaise jar on Funk' and Wagnall's porch since noon today.")

God there were so many, and so many things that happened on the show so spontaneously that made it great: The Fugarwe Indians, Ed Aames and that tomahawk and Johnny's reaction on where it landed, and of course my favorite line of all time: "Lonesome" George Gobel's "Did you ever get the feeling that the world's a tuxedo and you're a pair of brown shoes?" :)

I'm sure y'all have your own favorite sketches/moments from the show. Why not share them with us?

Good Night, Johnny. Rest in Peace.

Q

Edited by Quasimodem

He sure was funny--even if he didn't utter a single word. His facial expressions were hilarious.

I got a chance to see him before he retired. I remember waiting in line with friends for over 6 hours just to get in to see him on the Tonight Show. The show was free you just had to make sure you got in line early enough to get in. I remember we were so excited--It was a given, if you're ever in California you have to go see Johnny. At that time Arsenio Hall had his show and we were all given free tickets to see his show. We ditched the Arsenio Hall show and stayed in line to see the Tonight Show. That's how important it was for us! No regrets we saw TV history.

What sad news. I only got to watch the last few years of his show live. I have the Carson collection and have always laughed at them. Especially the one where the guy throws the tomohawk and hits the wooden man in the crotch. Then Johnny says "I didn't know you were Jewish."

He was definitely the King of Late Night.

Johnny Carson - Rest in Peace

That seems somehow so appropiate, how many nights have we laughed and laughed and rested in peace after we heard his take on the world :lol:

Seems, lately, we've lost so many :( that made our lives so much brighter. Some of them were personal friends and I guess pleasant memories are better than regrets but, I miss 'em.

Can only hope NBC & Carson Productions might release more of the shows - I still have the final show w/ Bette Middler - I believe that's the only time Carson was overtaken by his emotions....

This thread may go on forever, if everyone shares their memories of what Johnny meant to each of us.

Remember well when Steve Allen left the Tonight Show thinking noone would ever be able to carry that show - then came Jack Parr (lost him recently) and after his memorable run, absolutely noone could fill those shoes, then, NBC gave it to that what -a game show host??

My favorite 'Tonight Shows' were the ones with Joan Embrey (from the San Diego Zoo) and the animals she brought. No question: Johnny was at his best with the unexpected, and those animals provided him (and us!) with countless unexpected, hilarious moments.

Good night, Johnny.