Paulding.com

Local Election Poll - Sheriff and Commission on (some ballots)

Local political races  

333 members have voted

1. 1. Have you voted (Early voting)

• Yes
    • No, but plan to before early voting ends Oct 31st
    • I vote(d) absentee
    • I'm going to vote on Nov. 4th
  2. 2. What best describes your truth about the Sheriff's race

• I voted for Gary Gulledge
    • I voted for LaFay Streetman
    • I plan to vote for Gary Gulledge
    • I plan to vote for LaFay Streetman
    • I probably won't vote in this race
  3. 3. What best describes your truth about the Commission I race

• I have already voted for Larry Ragsdale
    • I have already voted for Joey Seabolt
    • I plan to vote for Joey Seabolt
    • I plan to vote for Larry Ragsdale
    • I either don't plan to vote in this race or I live outside the commission post I district

...Not voting for a candidate just because they have an (I) next to their name shows little or no responsibility.

No, quite the contrary. I take full responsibility for my actions.

Too many people have decided to make a career in politics. Holding an elected office is supposed to be public service.

Each person who wants to serve, can do so, and then return to the private sector knowing they did their part in service for our country.

Once politicians start making a career out of public service they make decisions based on what will get them reelected.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too many people have decided to make a career in politics. Holding an elected office is supposed to be public service.

Each person who wants to serve, can do so, and then return to the private sector knowing they did their part in service for our country.

Once politicians start making a career out of public service they make decisions based on what will get them reelected.

And or decisions based on what will make them wealthy!

Yep.

Sorry, but that dog won't hunt.

Ragsdale approved the annual re-assesment policy adopted by King Jerry and Company, and the $65million plus for the new courthouse comples, plus removing the fire department from the county budget after telling the voters the fire tax would be used to supplement the department's county budget funding, and the list goes on.

Raising the millage rates, and increasing the tax digest in order to bring in more revenue for the county are 2 different things. They got their tax increase year after year after year without raising the millage. And by simply removing the fire department from the budget they got a $6million windfall to spend while smiling about the way the voters approved the fire tax. Has your homeowner's insurance premium gone down ?

And what happeded to the promises to the senior citizen taxpayers about lowering the age for their tax reductions and abatements ?

And Larry approved every PRD request from everyone of the local RBMDs with no thought to the schools or other county infrastructure.

8)

Moi is French for "ME". :o :D :lol: :lol:

And RBMD is for, or course, ROBBER BARON MEGA DEVELOPERS, who may possibly become extinct in Paulding County in the not too distant future. ;) in which case I will be LMAO!!!! B)

:acute: 8)

We will be having a Meet and Greet this Saturday evening from 6 PM til 9 PM I would like for everyone interested to please attend and get to know some people and enjoy a good time.

Please come by and talk to me about my plans for Paulding County government and if you can, make a donation to my campaign. Larry Ragsdale has already raised more than $13,000 from his developer buddies and their associates.

Support and vote Joey Seabolt into the Post 1 commissioner’s seat and bring ethical government to Paulding County.

Going west on 278 towards Dallas from Hiram, after going through the traffic signal at 120/Bill Carruth Parkway, make a left hand turn onto Palisades Parkway. Follow Palisades to the Traffic Go-Round and bear to the first right onto Berwick’s Crossing. At the stop sign take a left onto Berwick’s Way. Our driveway will be on the right with the Joey Seabolt signs. The house is set back 500’ from the road and only the galvanized roof is visible over the privet hedge.

Please RSVP if possible to 770-445-6415 or surepip@aol.com

I am somewhat disappointed in the lack of support for Joey Seabolt!

Even if you are not in Post 1, you should realize that commissioner will speak, and vote, for all of us, not just those in the post which elects him.

Anyone and everyone who got out and helped to Vote King Jerry Shearin out of office should be just as concerned with this Post 1 Race. Let's get the p.com family to rise to the occaision again and send Larry Ragsdale, another of the Good Ol Boys packing.

Come out to our place on Saturday evening and support Joey Seabolt for Commission Post 1.

Or be prepared for the consequences down the road. Ragsdale has been King Jerry supporter and needs to go the same way King Jerry has gone.

We are 80% of the way there. But we need to shoot for 100%!

Wow, and I thought this was just a poll. I have been a resident of this county for 15 years and I guess I am one who doesn't like the way growth was handled in this county. Yes, growth is going to happen but how it happens is the key. I don't think anyone can deny the ties of the BOC members and the building industry. It is easy to confirm if one puts in some time doing so. I don't mind reading people's opinions on this subject and there is passion on both sides of the issue. Yes, one can run for a BOC position or get involved in the process or simply move to another area. But real change in our local politics has to come from the people. It is never easy to change an established system but when the people get enough, it can be done. I do feel for the building industry as a whole- not so much for the Developers but for the many workers and industries dependant on this industry.

And if the same voters choose to get involved with the Ragsdale-Seabolt race, as they did with the Shearin-Austin race, we can replace another on of the Good Ol Boys.

But they have to get involved and step up to the plate.

There is a Meet & Greet / Fundraiser at our house for Joey Seabolt Saturday the 18th from 6:00pm to 9:00. There will be plenty to eat, and if you feel like you want to make a donation to Joey, Great! But it is not mandatory, come on by to meet and speak with Joey. Everyone is welcome.

And if the same voters choose to get involved with the Ragsdale-Seabolt race, as they did with the Shearin-Austin race, we can replace another on of the Good Ol Boys.

There is a Meet & Greet / Fundraiser at our house for Joey Seabolt Saturday the 18th from 6:00pm to 9:00. There will be plenty to eat, and if you feel like you want to make a donation to Joey, Great! But it is not mandatory, come on by to meet and speak with Joey. Everyone is welcome.

You are right we need to step up to the plate and get involved. Someone told me that Ragsdale has not accepted any campaign Contribution from the special interest groups. I was looking at his disclosure report and it will shock you as to who has donated to him in this election.( Charles D. Rann Enviro engineer.) , (Michael L. Jones Enviro engineer), (Brian K. Shipp VP for Aiken) ,( C.B. Fair Retired Banker),( Joseph C. Thompson Jr. construction owner) and( Moore, Ingram, Johnson and Steele, LLP Attorney) just to name a few.

Does this look familiar? :( We need to step up to the plate and get the word out to support Joey Seabolt. We need to attend the Meet and Greet and help elect a new Post1 commissioner.

You are right we need to step up to the plate and get involved. Someone told me that Ragsdale has not accepted any campaign Contribution from the special interest groups. I was looking at his disclosure report and it will shock you as to who has donated to him in this election.( Charles D. Rann Enviro engineer.) , (Michael L. Jones Enviro engineer), (Brian K. Shipp VP for Aiken) ,( C.B. Fair Retired Banker),( Joseph C. Thompson Jr. construction owner) and( Moore, Ingram, Johnson and Steele, LLP Attorney) just to name a few.

Does this look familiar? :( We need to step up to the plate and get the word out to support Joey Seabolt. We need to attend the Meet and Greet and help elect a new Post1 commissioner.

And I believe CB Fair headed up the first group organized to push through the sneaky School Bond Referendum. And I think Tom Cable is on that list of donors as well.

Talk to your friends and neighbors and ask them to please support Joey Seabolt for Post 1 Commissioner.

And I believe CB Fair headed up the first group organized to push through the sneaky School Bond Referendum. And I think Tom Cable is on that list of donors as well.

Talk to your friends and neighbors and ask them to please support Joey Seabolt for Post 1 Commissioner.

And there is absolutely nothing illegal, immoral or unethical about any of the contributions mentioned above.

And there is absolutely nothing illegal, immoral or unethical about any of the contributions mentioned above.

None at all, except Ragsdale did mention he was not going to accept [major] donations from special interest groups. I call $1000 a major donation, and even more so for a post commission seat.

None at all, except Ragsdale did mention he was not going to accept [major] donations from special interest groups. I call $1000 a major donation, and even more so for a post commission seat.

Is this promise in writing? If not, I imagine it was just another one of those "he said, she said" heresay sort of situations - those can be very inaccurate you know.

Is this promise in writing? If not, I imagine it was just another one of those "he said, she said" heresay sort of situations - those can be very inaccurate you know.

Oh yes, I can attest to your statement....

I have learned, first hand, if you want justice from verbal promises made to you by the Chairman himself of the BOC, you had best have in in writing. I have leared thier promises are worth the paper they are written on.

And when those promises are called in the are worth nonthing, zero, nada, nil.

We made the mistake of believing those promises. And then we found out they were worth what they were written on......which meant nothing.

Go figure?

Beach Bum

I disagree with the above statement.

Did you and your group, that supported The past school Bond referendum,receive donations from some of the same people that has contributed To the re election of Commissioner Larry Ragsdale?

I agree that it is not illegal.

I will never agree that it is moral, or ethical,to receive campaign donations from special interest groups, In return for favorable votes on rezoning matters.

The end result being Massive explosive growth,that has resulted in the Highest tax increases in the history of Paulding County.

County Commissioners are suppose to represent the best interest of all citizens, Not special interest groups that can provide HUGE campaign donations.

Larry Ragsdale is my Commissioner, And I certaintly have no intentions of supporting a Commissioner with the tax and spend mentality that he has.

Mr Ragsdale has made many votes on the commission that I do not approve of.....$65 million for a new office/Courthouse complex, Voted twice this year to raise Water/Sewerage rates,,Over $500,000 for salaries for the airport personnel,Approved so many Homes in his post district that the Sewerage system became overloaded,Which resulted in the Awful odors of the citizens he represents along Bill Carruth parkway,and the surrounding area, Which has required a $400 + million upgrade to the sewerage system.

Mr Ragsdale has voted to increase taxes on the citizens of paulding County all eight years that he has served as Post 1 Commissioner.

Joey Seabolt has my Vote and support

Joey Seabolt

After meeting you last night,at the meet and greet. I am convinced that you are the best person to represent post 1

You were sincere and very knowledgeable of the needs of Paulding County;

You have my vote.

Time to throw out the rest of the tax and spend commissioners

I prefer my commissioner to be more moral and ethicial, And to represent all the people in his post

I have watched to BOC on cable.....have you ever heard other than a couple of jumbled words from comm Ragsdale....it is not there....I guess alll he thinks he has to do is vote. Interaction would help...being right or wrong....

I have also watched the meetings on cable,and have never heard Ragsdale question any items on the agenda.

I was amazed in the July meeting, That he did not stick up for post 1 citizens on the proposed tax increase, I guess silence is consent?

You need to take a closer look at your tax bill instead of looking at the total. You will find that the School M&O is what has made our taxes go up so much. My taxes jumped up $316 in 2007 because of the school tax. Look at how much difference the school yearly increase is vs the county yearly increase.

Year Total School Difference County Difference

2002 $1,011.56 $751.77 $250.17

2003 $1,012.22 $691.83 -$59.94 $259.95 $9.78

2004 $1,054.81 $773.30 $81.47 $271.08 $11.13

2005 $1,061.33 $776.65 $3.34 $274.14 $3.06

2006 $1,113.86 $791.79 $15.14 $310.65 $36.51

2007 $1,565.11 $1,108.33 $316.54 $327.44 $16.79

2008 $1,530.30 $1,069.51 -$38.82 $309.04 -$18.40

So not all of its our commissioner fault. Maybe you need to grip about the school board.

SORRY GUYS...MY EXCEL SHEET DIDN'T COPY RIGHT. IT'S ALL CRAMMED TOGETHER.

I agree to a point

The school taxes went up because of the need for more schools, buses, teachers Bus drivers etc.

Now what caused this need??? Yep if you said growth, then you are correct.

Total massive uncontrolled growth that will be with us for years to come, Along with the higher taxes that comes with the uncontrolled growth.

Over 1/3 of your 2007 tax increase came from the reassessment of your property and the new fire tax both approved by the Board of Commissioners/ Along with Larry Ragsdale

This Board of Commissioners have raised taxes every year of this adminstration.

Fact is we had the highest one year tax increase in the history of paulding County in the year 2007.

Can we do better?? YOU DECIDE BETWEEN NOW AND NOVEMBER 4th

VOTE VOTE VOTE

BTW Larry Ragsdale voted for so many new homes that the sewer facility became overloaded in his post, which caused the unhealtjy and awful odors on Bill Carruth parkway, and the surrounding area, Shame on you Larry

Please read and get an education on what costs the county and what brings in revenues to the county.

This article comes from Jeffrey Dorfman, Professor @ UGA.

The graph in this 7 page presentation tells it all! Bedrooms cost the county and provide little revenue, but when a county develops bedrooms out of proportion to the rest of development then the results are much higher taxes, more children in the overcrowded school system, more stress on police and fire departments to provide services and hire personnel and traffic congestion from all those people trying to Leave the county to go to work elsewhere.

What a County Commissioner votes on does count for the county and if there are only "yes" answers to every zoning without question then why have commissioners at all?

Think on that!

VOTE for the person seeking transparency, an ethics board for oversight and bringing new ideas to the table. ** In his own words-below.

Please CLICK HERE. Revenue versus Costs Study-UGA -Jeffrey Dofman article

I feel like the citizens of Paulding County have a right to be heard without having to sign up several days in advance to speak on a single topic at the Commissioners meetings and I plan on giving you a platform to do that. Just because the Commissioners might not agree with what you are saying does not mean they dont have to listen.

I feel that as with any good democracy, change is necessary and along with change comes new faces, new ideas, and new leadership. I ask that you join with me in improving Paulding County and getting the change we deserve and Vote Joey Seabolt Post I Commissioner

I'm glad these are not uncontested. As much as I like what I have read and heard about Mr. Seabolt, I would have voted for a dead tree stump before Larry Ragsdale. ( Or any other incumbent for that matter.)
Edited by PROTECT

So far I am amazed, shocked, and really surprised the voters are not as up in arms to remove Ragsdale as they were to remove Shearin from office [thank you very much]!

He has been an 8 year Rubber Stamp for Shearin and his cronies. And he certainly cannot run on his record, or lack there of.

Post 1 Voters:

Please educate yourself and find out what Larry Ragsdale has done for you for the past 8 years. And speak with Joey Seabolt about what he wants to do for the citizens of Post 1 and the county in general. Take back your voice in government and vote for Joey Seabolt for Post 1 Commissioner.

Sorry I missed the Meet n Greet, we had a late Soccer game Saturday.

If he was in my district I'd be voting for Joey.

It's sad that most of the time politicians don't seem to remember that they rule by consent of the governed. They think the campaign contributions are enough to get them back into office over and over.

But tick us off enough...

Good Luck Joey,

SG

So far I am amazed, shocked, and really surprised the voters are not as up in arms to remove Ragsdale as they were to remove Shearin from office [thank you very much]!

He has been an 8 year Rubber Stamp for Shearin and his cronies. And he certainly cannot run on his record, or lack there of.

Post 1 Voters:

Please educate yourself and find out what Larry Ragsdale has done for you for the past 8 years. And speak with Joey Seabolt about what he wants to do for the citizens of Post 1 and the county in general. Take back your voice in government and vote for Joey Seabolt for Post 1 Commissioner.

Yep I am up in arms, Every time I go by the stinky fields on Bill Carruth Parkway It reminds me of Larry ragsdale voting for thousands of homes, Which has overloaded the sewer plant in his post SHAME ON LARRY RAGSDALE, for doing this to the voters in his Post

I still have to ask how can you support someone who says he would have been a Republican but that wouldn't work so he is running as a Democrat. So what is he really? I think he would have been better to run as an Independent. Right now I have to question tactics of running from one party to the other to try and get elected. Good luck to both.

Surely everyone knows we are currently in a country wide recession right ? There are empty houses and empty lots all over the US right now. It has nothing to do with Paulding BOC people, the economy is crap. This county is going to grow whether we like it or not ( I wish it was still like it was 20 years ago ). The only thing our BOC can do is try to control the quality of subdivisions which is where PRD comes in. Trust me I am not saying I support or dont support the current or future BOC. I am simply saying the economy in the whole country is crap. Everything is not always the BOC's fault. Someone here said we should have been building more commercial instead of residential, WRONG. If that person would like to buy some commercial property or some bran new nice commercial buildings that are setting empty just like the houses mail me and I will get you a great deal, there are plenty available. Not voting for a candidate just because they have an (I) next to their name shows little or no responsibility.

Had a conversation with an Assessor today who told me that commercial and mid range ($250k-$300k) residential is picking up here in Paulding. This is good news, since we have a glut of lower range (under $200k) housing on the market due to the subprime fiasco and the BOC's lack of foresight in approving a relatively large percentage of this type of housing. Remember that a $150k home requires the same services from the County and School System as a $300k home, and generates half the tax revenue. This along with the lack of quality industrial development in the county is why our taxes are so high. I sincerely hope that the new board understands that not all development is good development.

Had a conversation with an Assessor today who told me that commercial and mid range ($250k-$300k) residential is picking up here in Paulding. This is good news, since we have a glut of lower range (under $200k) housing on the market due to the subprime fiasco and the BOC's lack of foresight in approving a relatively large percentage of this type of housing. Remember that a $150k home requires the same services from the County and School System as a $300k home, and generates half the tax revenue. This along with the lack of quality industrial development in the county is why our taxes are so high. I sincerely hope that the new board understands that not all development is good development.

Sorry those of us that have houses under $150,000 is drawing to much on the county resources. Sounds like you feel that all the homes should be $300,000 plus and to heck with those of us who can't afford that. I feel the people in any home in the county are quality families an shouldn't matter how much they pay for their home.

Surely everyone knows we are currently in a country wide recession right ? There are empty houses and empty lots all over the US right now. It has nothing to do with Paulding BOC people, the economy is crap. This county is going to grow whether we like it or not ( I wish it was still like it was 20 years ago ). The only thing our BOC can do is try to control the quality of subdivisions which is where PRD comes in. Trust me I am not saying I support or dont support the current or future BOC. I am simply saying the economy in the whole country is crap. Everything is not always the BOC's fault. Someone here said we should have been building more commercial instead of residential, WRONG. If that person would like to buy some commercial property or some bran new nice commercial buildings that are setting empty just like the houses mail me and I will get you a great deal, there are plenty available. Not voting for a candidate just because they have an (I) next to their name shows little or no responsibility.

OK, Sir,

I have a group I work with looking for 20,000 to 25,000 square feet, 2 or more loading docks which can handle a 53' trailer, and a rail siding. 3 private offices, and an area for the clerical staff, bathrooms, and a kitchen area for lunch breaks.

They will employ 20 to 25 people from $15 and hour up to $30 an hour, plus an accountant [$45,000 per year] and an office staff of 4 making $12 to $20 an hour. Got a place in Paulding?

Right now they are looking at North Alabama between Huntsville and Fort Payne.

They want to be somewhat convient to an international airport, and have banks available who can do international work as well [sWIFT Transfers, letters of credit, etc.].

The intermodal yard is a plus to them as well for import and export drayage of the ocean and rail containers coming and going.

What 'ya got to offer ?

OK, Sir,

I have a group I work with looking for 20,000 to 25,000 square feet, 2 or more loading docks which can handle a 53' trailer, and a rail siding. 3 private offices, and an area for the clerical staff, bathrooms, and a kitchen area for lunch breaks.

They will employ 20 to 25 people from $15 and hour up to $30 an hour, plus an accountant [$45,000 per year] and an office staff of 4 making $12 to $20 an hour. Got a place in Paulding?

They want to be somewhat convient to an international airport, and have banks available who can do international work as well [sWIFT Transfers, letters of credit, etc.].

The intermodal yard is a plus to them as well for import and export drayage of the ocean and rail containers coming and going.

What 'ya got to offer ?

Good question surepip but how many times did you all rehearse this question on Saturday night? I am just kidding, by the way. :lol:

OK, Sir,

What 'ya got to offer ?

Call a professional!

A very quick search turned up 2 buildings for sale and one for lease in Paulding that fit your description. One 72,000 sq ft!

So, what else are you looking for that "doesn't exist" in Paulding? Need a place to build a 100,000+ sq ft building? Found 4 or 5 that fit that description! Come one Surepip, you have to do better then that! There is even one project that will build to suite to WHAT EVER they want! Maybe with heavy rail access to boot!

When would they like to go look at some property? Or is this another one of your song and dance numbers?

I still have to ask how can you support someone who says he would have been a Republican but that wouldn't work so he is running as a Democrat. So what is he really? I think he would have been better to run as an Independent. Right now I have to question tactics of running from one party to the other to try and get elected. Good luck to both.

What difference does it make? Anyone that does not posses the ability to listen to a candidate's platform and decide for themselves which candidate best represents them really has no business voting in my opinion. No vote should ever be cast for a political party and especially not in a county election.

By the way, has anyone heard any campaign platform from Mr. Ragsdale or is he just sitting back on his @ss because he has been anointed by the GOP to have the job?

What difference does it make? Anyone that does not posses the ability to listen to a candidate's platform and decide for themselves which candidate best represents them really has no business voting in my opinion. No vote should ever be cast for a political party and especially not in a county election.

By the way, has anyone heard any campaign platform from Mr. Ragsdale or is he just sitting back on his @ss because he has been anointed by the GOP to have the job?

I have heard that Mr. Ragsdale's district will be getting a flyer in the mail in the next few days that will answer a lot of questions.

I have heard that Mr. Ragsdale's district will be getting a flyer in the mail in the next few days that will answer a lot of questions.

Will there be a debate between the two?

Anyone with lots of special interest money,can have professional flyers mailed out.

The real way to have ones opinions expressed, Is with a debate.

Maybe Pubby can get a debate set up on P.com??

Will there be a debate between the two?

Anyone with lots of special interest money,can have professional flyers mailed out.

I don't have any idea if there will be a debate and the only thing I have heard is that the Ragsdale campaign is putting together a informational flyer for the voters in his district.

Sorry those of us that have houses under $150,000 is drawing to much on the county resources. Sounds like you feel that all the homes should be $300,000 plus and to heck with those of us who can't afford that. I feel the people in any home in the county are quality families an shouldn't matter how much they pay for their home.

If you will read the post, I said that there was a disproportionate amount of sub $200k housing in Paulding. This throws off the tax digest. It's a fact not political statement. If all houses in Paulding were under $200k you would be paying maybe twice what you now do in taxes. You may not like the math, but it stands on its own. I thought that it was the American way, that the more fortunate pay more in taxes.

edited for spelling.

Edited by Lots To Do
If you will read the post, I said that there was a disproportionate amount of sub $200k housing in Paulding. This throws off the tax digest. It's a fact not political statement. If all houses in Paulding were under $200k you would be paying maybe twice what you now do in taxes. You may not like the math, but it stands on its own. I thought that it was the American way, that the more fortunate pay more in taxes.

edited for spelling.

Your point is still MUTE. Are you saying that people who live in less than 200K homes are not contributing? We can't all afford houses like that but we are at least providing for our families with what we have. Obviously you have more and think you are picking up the tab for the rest of us. Sorry we don't pick up enough for you.

Your point is still MUTE. Are you saying that people who live in less than 200K homes are not contributing? We can't all afford houses like that but we are at least providing for our families with what we have. Obviously you have more and think you are picking up the tab for the rest of us. Sorry we don't pick up enough for you.

I doubt it. Probably moot.