5 replies to this topic

#1 Loves to Sell Houses

Loves to Sell Houses

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 10:50 AM

My daughter is a huge Anime fan and started a club at McEachern. I heard there may be one starting up at Paulding County. Does anyone have any contact info or know anything about starting a club?

#2 Mark0732

Mark0732

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 11:38 AM

I armed my son with some facts about anime and he chose to give it up entirely. He was collecting cards, etc and didn't realize how it has subtle ways of clouding your mind with darkness. I was ignorant about what he was getting into and saw it as harmless until I researched it and prayed about it. I'm not judging you, but you might just want to take a harder look. You may come to the same conclusion I did, or not. Best of luck either way.

#3 Loves to Sell Houses

Loves to Sell Houses

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:22 PM

QUOTE (Mark0732 @ Aug 19 2008, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I armed my son with some facts about anime and he chose to give it up entirely. He was collecting cards, etc and didn't realize how it has subtle ways of clouding your mind with darkness. I was ignorant about what he was getting into and saw it as harmless until I researched it and prayed about it. I'm not judging you, but you might just want to take a harder look. You may come to the same conclusion I did, or not. Best of luck either way.

I respect your opinion. I have a totally different take on it. My daughter was shy, withdrawn and not really enthusiastic about anything until she discovered Anime. I realize this sounds like most teenagers but to see her engaged, taking charge of her life and excited about anything made a huge difference in her quality of life. We are Christians and embarrassingly, she is more than I these days and attends Church regularly. Along with that, she got an Anime club off the ground and running at a Cobb County High school with a teachers' sponsorship. I know her friends and yes, they are a little weird but are all basically good kids. I remember growing up and my mother trying to find my Eagles albums to burn and so mistake or not, I'm giving her free reign to express herself with an extremely watchful parental eye. (I sound like a hippy!!! Yeah)

#4 TobyMobias

TobyMobias

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:45 PM

Anime is like any other animation medium; some of it is for small children, some of it is for teenagers, and some of it us for adults.

As for the 'research', it really seems to be divided into two camps: a) those that hate it for the sake of hating and find messages from Satan in a box of Alpha-Bits cereal and B) those that think it's all for children and are appalled when they find evidance to the contrary.

The truth is, neither are correct. While some anime ("Pokemon", "Bakugon", "Ponyo" etc) is for children, some is intended for adults ("Cowboy Bebop", "Trigun", "Ghost in the Shell"). It's like any other entertainment really. For every "Hannah Montana" for a little girl, there's a "Rescue Me" for her parents.

But, back on topic, I tried to start an anime club in my sophomore year (i.e. last year), but realized that it was slow in progress and nearly impossible given the school's current management who are mostly wildly out of touch with anything from the past 10 years(what do you expect from a man that yells "HATS!" like a Nazi call?).

#5 LindaB

LindaB

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 04:51 AM

My daughter is a huge Anime fan and started a club at McEachern. I heard there may be one starting up at Paulding County. Does anyone have any contact info or know anything about starting a club?

You need a teacher to sponsor the club. The school is not always receptive to ideas.

#6 TobyMobias

TobyMobias

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 04:01 PM

You need a teacher to sponsor the club. The school is not always receptive to ideas.

I had a sponsor and a room to hold it in, but Segars I guess had final say, and elected no.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics