6 replies to this topic

#1 Paulding Navigator Team

Paulding Navigator Team

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 09:41 AM

I would like to help provide support for the families of Paulding who have special needs children! If you have a child who has an IEP and would like a review from an outside source, I will be glad to help you!

Credentials:
I was a teacher for 14 years in the public school system. I taught Special Ed for 3 of those years. I'm also a graduate of the Georgia Parent Leadership Support Project IV (which is an extensive class through the Georgia Advocacy Office in Atlanta). Basically, I'm a trained advocate for special needs children. Most of all.... my REAL experience and training comes from having a special needs child of my own.

I will take first come, first serve. I will simply read over your child's IEP, ask any questions that pop up about current services, and makes suggestions where suggestions are needed. Are you sure your child is receiving all that he/she needs to be successful not only in school, but in the future? Just let me know if I can help you!

#2 Paulding Navigator Team

Paulding Navigator Team

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 11:01 AM

I've had some folks e-mail and ask how to reach me.... just pm me and I'll give you my contact information. smile.gif

#3 Paulding Navigator Team

Paulding Navigator Team

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 07:27 PM

Anyone else? smile.gif Pass the word!

#4 spaz

spaz

Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 07:34 PM

I have a question about the new thing they implemented last year about SST and the stages.I had one meeting last year at the beginning and necer heard another word.Does that mean they dropped his SST thingie without notifying me?

#5 mom2abug

mom2abug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 11:22 AM

QUOTE (spaz @ Aug 8 2008, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a question about the new thing they implemented last year about SST and the stages.I had one meeting last year at the beginning and necer heard another word.Does that mean they dropped his SST thingie without notifying me?

Sorry for the hijack...just trying to help:

SST is federally mandated. It still exists, but the process has been revamped due to the re-authorization of IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act). There are 4 tiers of intervention - Tier 1 - is what ALL students undergo. Tier 2 - involves those students who are struggling. It includes differentiated instruction that is research/evidenced based instruction. Tier 3 is usually where SST starts. This is for the students who are not making good progress with tier 2 instruction. Interventions are discussed and tailor-made for these students and data has to be collected by the classroom teacher(s) to determine if successful. If not much success is noted via data collection and the educational/academic gap is widening between these children as compared to their grade-level peers, the SST committee (which involves the parents, teachers, etc) may recommend academic screenings and possibly refer for full academic testing. Tier 4 is basically special education services. The goal of these tiers is to meet the needs of the children in the classroom in an effort to decrease the number of children needing direct special education services.

If your child was in SST last year, I would most certainly inquire why another meeting hasn't been called. Hope that helps!

#6 Paulding Navigator Team

Paulding Navigator Team

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE (spaz @ Aug 8 2008, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

pm'd ya!

#7 spaz

spaz

Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 04:48 PM

QUOTE (mom2abug @ Aug 9 2008, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry for the hijack...just trying to help:

SST is federally mandated. It still exists, but the process has been revamped due to the re-authorization of IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act). There are 4 tiers of intervention - Tier 1 - is what ALL students undergo. Tier 2 - involves those students who are struggling. It includes differentiated instruction that is research/evidenced based instruction. Tier 3 is usually where SST starts. This is for the students who are not making good progress with tier 2 instruction. Interventions are discussed and tailor-made for these students and data has to be collected by the classroom teacher(s) to determine if successful. If not much success is noted via data collection and the educational/academic gap is widening between these children as compared to their grade-level peers, the SST committee (which involves the parents, teachers, etc) may recommend academic screenings and possibly refer for full academic testing. Tier 4 is basically special education services. The goal of these tiers is to meet the needs of the children in the classroom in an effort to decrease the number of children needing direct special education services.

If your child was in SST last year, I would most certainly inquire why another meeting hasn't been called. Hope that helps!

Thank you.I jsut couldn't remembr what is was called.I will check into it when school starts back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics