89 replies to this topic

#1 Pcom Community Chest

Pcom Community Chest

Paulding Com member

• PCOM CC Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 07:55 AM

So as not to take away from any other threads and their successful endeavors; I thought I would open up this thread for anyone who had questions for the PCC. smile.gif

Charity is defined online by http://www.merriam-w...tionary/charity
1. : benevolent goodwill toward or love of humanity
2 a: generosity and helpfulness especially toward the needy or suffering; also : aid given to those in need b: an institution engaged in relief of the poor c: public provision for the relief of the needy
3 a: a gift for public benevolent purposes b: an institution (as a hospital) founded by such a gift
4: lenient judgment of others

Please remember that this is a private website. Pubby has implemented the new rules regarding the Pcom Community Chest in order to help it run more efficiently; for both the PCC volunteers and for pcommers. The moderators (PCOM POPO) have been instructed to move all charity threads to the PCC forum, so they can be managed by the PCC. Please see the news clip from two weeks ago if you have not already done so.

In our profile:

We are a new and yet evolving paulding.com sub-group designed to help pcommers in need. The purpose of the Community Chest is to prevent fraud and to protect the advocates from any reprisals. The Community Chest makes every effort to assure that all causes are legitimate, and all donated funds are received by the intended recipient.

Folks requesting for help need to check with community resources (listed below) before requesting assistance from pcommers. At the discretion of the CC, requests per individual are limited based on their need. We are not designed to support folks needing continuous assistance.

Folks to who wish to remain totally anonymous or who have a need which requires a lot of work are suggested to find an advocate. Advocates MUST be approved by the CC. Most cases do not require an advocate, thus eliminating the "middle man." We encourage that pcommers work directly with the requestor, and that both parties report to the CC for updates. All information presented to the Community Chest is confidential.

Accountability for fundraising has become an important issue with the rapid growth of pcom. If you are collecting funds for any charity, non-profit, church, 501c3 organization, etc, you MUST get approval by such entity before advocating for them. The Community Chest would like that entity to contact us with their acknowledgement or approval for you to raise funds. This needs to be presented to and approved by the CC before it can be put before the message board.

THE CC HAS ZERO FUNDS AVAILABLE AT ALL TIMES. Approval of your request by the CC means that you have been cleared by the CC to put your request before the public board. Success of your charitable need is based on the kindness of others and their willingness to give. The Community Chest is not responsible for the failure of your fundraiser. Thank you.

NOT ONE PCOMMER is excluded from the procedures above. We do our very best to treat every individual the same. No compliance with the PCC = no permission to put requests out on the board.

I do want to say, as a PCC volunteer, that we are easy to work with. We have lives outside of pcom, so we are not always able to be on the board. Needless to say, our volunteers check our messages and forum several times per day. We don't like to see an adversarial view towards the PCC, b/c it is something we believe in and something in which we dedicate our time (but hey, this IS pcom wink.gif ). The grey areas in the PCC become discretion/judgment calls and are collaborated between the volunteers and PUBBY.

If anyone has any questions for the PCC, now is a perfect opportunity to ask. smile.gif

The purpose of the Community Chest is to prevent fraud and to protect the advocates from any reprisals.

#2 ~Bella~Kate~

~Bella~Kate~

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:29 AM

I don't get it. I have asked several times to different people about fundraising for the breast cancer 3 day. I first asked in early may and have asked since and then this morning see someone has gotten answers on the 2 day. What does it take.

I don't get why everything has to be approved. We are helping people for goodness sake. The bible says if they ask for your shirt give your coat.

Edited by Boss Hogg, 05 August 2008 - 08:32 AM.

AKA IZABELLAZMOM

Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 Boss Hogg

Boss Hogg

RIP JJ

• Mayberry Sheriff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:31 AM

Click on the link in # 4 above and send a PM to the Pcom Community Chest. You will get an answer.
http://www.paulding.com/ads/mayberryrack.swf

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4 Bwitchy

Bwitchy

Witchety Cricket

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,788 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:35 AM

QUOTE (~Bella~Kate~ @ Aug 5 2008, 09:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't get it. I have asked several times to different people about fundraising for the breast cancer 3 day. I first asked in early may and have asked since and then this morning see someone has gotten answers on the 2 day. What does it take.

I don't get why everything has to be approved. We are helping people for goodness sake. The bible says if they ask for your shirt give your coat.

I'm sure the PCC will answer this more in depth, but I will say from my own observations that NOT everyone has completely altruistic intentions even if they claim to be doing good for others. In the past, there have been several problems, especially in the areas of fundraising, that have cause more than just "hard feelings." I, personally, don't see a problem with the CC. It is a checks and balances method to ensure that the good works are actually getting to the places where they are supposed to be going. It is also a way of keeping all community service/charity threads in one place, which may help with those who are a bit adversarial when it comes to this--they simply don't have to click on that forum. Keep in mind, I am NOT a part of the CC, and as I said, I'm sure that they will come in and address your issue as well. Just thought I'd add my 2 cents. smile.gif

BTW, CC, thanks for posting! I know there has been some confusion and hurt feelings; I think as soon as everyone realizes they are on the same team, it will make for a kindlier/ gentler p.com smile.gif

Edited by Boss Hogg, 05 August 2008 - 08:46 AM.

"Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."óMark Twain

Posted ImagePosted Image

Alternate signature available for those under 3 and right wing conservatives.
Why does it have to be political correctness? Why can't it just be common courtesy?
If Tylenol, duct tape, or a band aid can't fix it... you've got a serious problem!

#5 LibertyLady

LibertyLady

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,270 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:38 AM

QUOTE (Bwitchy @ Aug 5 2008, 09:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sure the PCC will answer this more in depth, but I will say from my own observations that NOT everyone has completely altruistic intentions even if they claim to be doing good for others. In the past, there have been several problems, especially in the areas of fundraising, that have cause more than just "hard feelings." I, personally, don't see a problem with the CC. It is a checks and balances method to ensure that the good works are actually getting to the places where they are supposed to be going. It is also a way of keeping all community service/charity threads in one place, which may help with those who are a bit adversarial when it comes to this--they simply don't have to click on that forum. Keep in mind, I am NOT a part of the CC, and as I said, I'm sure that they will come in and address your issue as well. Just thought I'd add my 2 cents. smile.gif

BTW, CC, thanks for posting! I know there has been some confusion and hurt feelings; I think as soon as everyone realizes they are on the same team, it will make for a kindlier/ gentler p.com smile.gif

I would have agreed totally with you had I not just been exposed to the form that has to be filled out for something that is not money passing from hand to hand.
www.protectpaulding.com

#6 Bwitchy

Bwitchy

Witchety Cricket

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,788 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:40 AM

QUOTE (LibertyLady @ Aug 5 2008, 09:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would have agreed totally with you had I not just been exposed to the form that has to be filled out for something that is not money passing from hand to hand.

Personally if the project is on the "up and up," I don't see a problem with filling out a form to get it approved. It seems a small price to pay to help out the community. smile.gif

"Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."óMark Twain

Posted ImagePosted Image

Why does it have to be political correctness? Why can't it just be common courtesy?
If Tylenol, duct tape, or a band aid can't fix it... you've got a serious problem!

#7 The Beasley's

The Beasley's

Paulding Com member

• +Member plus Orange
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:40 AM

My question is- Why is providing a lunch to Community heros including firefighters, police, EMS and other community service workers concidered a "CHARITY EVENT"

This event is in NO WAY a CHARITY EVENT! They did not request for anybody to provide them with this meal. It was offered to them as a way to say "THANK YOU" for all that they do.

I am very disappointed that this event is considered a "CHARITY" by the CC, and there are not more people willing to give their time. These are men and women who put their life on the line everyday for all of us, no matter what the situation may be. I personally can not afford to give a monatary gift to help someone in need, but I can make a meal or give my time to help someone. And I should not have to report every minute of time or meal that I choose to provide for someone.

I do believe in the CC, that it is here to prevent fraud and to protect the advocates from any reprisals, but I don't see where this is a concerne for today's event.

They say it takes a village to raise a child,
but they never tell you where that village is or how to get there.

#8 LibertyLady

LibertyLady

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,270 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:42 AM

QUOTE (Bwitchy @ Aug 5 2008, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Personally if the project is on the "up and up," I don't see a problem with filling out a form to get it approved. It seems a small price to pay to help out the community. smile.gif

You haven't seen the form maybe? I have no problem with complete disclosure btw.
www.protectpaulding.com

#9 overit

overit

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:43 AM

I for one am very pleased with the new rules. It weeds out the people who continue to "milk it". It becomes very old to get on the sight and see only "please help" threads.

Edited by overit, 05 August 2008 - 08:44 AM.

#10 Bwitchy

Bwitchy

Witchety Cricket

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,788 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:45 AM

QUOTE (Beasley Hardwoods @ Aug 5 2008, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My question is- Why is providing a lunch to Community heros including firefighters, police, EMS and other community service workers concidered a "CHARITY EVENT"

This event is in NO WAY a CHARITY EVENT! They did not request for anybody to provide them with this meal. It was offered to them as a way to say "THANK YOU" for all that they do.

I am very disappointed that this event is considered a "CHARITY" by the CC, and there are not more people willing to give their time. These are men and women who put their life on the line everyday for all of us, no matter what the situation may be. I personally can not afford to give a monatary gift to help someone in need, but I can make a meal or give my time to help someone. And I should not have to report every minute of time or meal that I choose to provide for someone.

I do believe in the CC, that it is here to prevent fraud and to protect the advocates from any reprisals, but I don't see where this is a concerne for today's event.

Perhaps you need to re-read the first definition of charity: 1. : benevolent goodwill toward or love of humanity

Charity has nothing to do specifically w/ money--in more modern terms much charity work is considered community service (in the good sense--not the forced, orange jump suit kind).

QUOTE (LibertyLady @ Aug 5 2008, 09:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You haven't seen the form maybe? I have no problem with complete disclosure btw.

I haven't seen the form, but having worked w/ several community service oriented organizations in the past, I'm quite familiar with the types of paperwork involved. You should see the paperwork we have to fill out to get stuff approved through the BOE. smile.gif

Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 SoapMom

SoapMom

Changing the world, one soap bar at a time!

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,909 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:48 AM

I just want to say that I'm THRILLED to have the CC in place, and being so proactive in this way. Seriously! When I helped to head up the "Katrina Relief" we could surely have used something like this in place to help us, and to protect us, along the way.

Keep up the good work! I know some folks don't like it, but I think it's a great idea!!! It really is to help everyone, to keep things on the up and up, to control things, and to also make Pcom just a nicer place in general.

KUDDOS!

QUOTE (LibertyLady @ Aug 5 2008, 09:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've seen it, and have no problem with it.

If an event or person is on the up and up, then they should have absolutely no trouble filling it out, and turning it in. smile.gif
"The fool says in his heart: 'There is no God' (Psalm 14:1). There is, however, another type of fool, more dangerous and sure of himself, who says in his heart and proclaims to all the world: 'There is no God but mine'." ~Joseph Campbell

"Normal? Ha! There is no normal. There is only varying degrees of weird." ~ SoapMom, 2006

"The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." ~ Thomas Jefferson

#12 LibertyLady

LibertyLady

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,270 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:51 AM

QUOTE (Beasley Hardwoods @ Aug 5 2008, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the biggest problem in my mind is that I do *NOT* think it is a 'charity event' to help a family or person with something like food or clothes. I think it is SUPER important to 'police' raw money exchanges-as in-imperative. BUT, I think it's ridiculous that local folks cannot help local folks with something as simple as a meal or old shirt or set of silverware without having to fill out forms that quite frankly are not relavant to doing that which we as a community SHOULD do which is to help each other with what we have.

QUOTE (Bwitchy @ Aug 5 2008, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Perhaps you need to re-read the first definition of charity: 1. : benevolent goodwill toward or love of humanity

Charity has nothing to do specifically w/ money--in more modern terms much charity work is considered community service (in the good sense--not the forced, orange jump suit kind).

I haven't seen the form, but having worked w/ several community service oriented organizations in the past, I'm quite familiar with the types of paperwork involved. You should see the paperwork we have to fill out to get stuff approved through the BOE. smile.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif I bet! I can't imagine the fun that is! laugh.gif
www.protectpaulding.com

#13 SoapMom

SoapMom

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,909 posts

QUOTE (LibertyLady @ Aug 5 2008, 09:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the biggest problem in my mind is that I do *NOT* think it is a 'charity event' to help a family or person with something like food or clothes. I think it is SUPER important to 'police' raw money exchanges-as in-imperative. BUT, I think it's ridiculous that local folks cannot help local folks with something as simple as a meal or old shirt or set of silverware without having to fill out forms that quite frankly are not relavant to doing that which we as a community SHOULD do which is to help each other with what we have.

Well, you know LL, you either play by the rules set forth for Pcom, or you simply don't play at all. smile.gif It is what it is, so you either deal, or you don't.
"The fool says in his heart: 'There is no God' (Psalm 14:1). There is, however, another type of fool, more dangerous and sure of himself, who says in his heart and proclaims to all the world: 'There is no God but mine'." ~Joseph Campbell

"Normal? Ha! There is no normal. There is only varying degrees of weird." ~ SoapMom, 2006

"The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." ~ Thomas Jefferson

#14 LibertyLady

LibertyLady

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,270 posts

QUOTE (SoapMom @ Aug 5 2008, 09:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, you know LL, you either play by the rules set forth for Pcom, or you simply don't play at all. smile.gif It is what it is, so you either deal, or you don't.

Yeah-I know-I say that all the time-Pubby's site-his rules. Doesn't mean I hafta like 'em! laugh.gif
www.protectpaulding.com

#15 The Beasley's

The Beasley's

Paulding Com member

• +Member plus Orange
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

QUOTE (Bwitchy @ Aug 5 2008, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Perhaps you need to read the form that I read last night that you need to fill out in order to request assistance from the CC. Trust me I don't think anyone would want to hand it to a Firefighter to fill out, so they could be approved to have people in the community bring them lunch to thank them for their time.

I however do belive if someone requesting monatary support should fill out the form. These are hard times, and people are willing to do anything to get by, but I don't think the form should be filled out if someone offers to bring you a meal.

They say it takes a village to raise a child,
but they never tell you where that village is or how to get there.

#16 SoapMom

SoapMom

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,909 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:55 AM

QUOTE (LibertyLady @ Aug 5 2008, 09:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah-I know-I say that all the time-Pubby's site-his rules. Doesn't mean I hafta like 'em! laugh.gif

Well, yeah, it sorta does!

If you're going to be a member in good standing, and you're going to do charity work, then you have to be willing to agree to the rules, play by them.

The constant reminder that you don't like them, to be honest, gets really, really old. smile.gif I think it also takes away from what you're trying to do!

The rules are the rules folks. And the CC is busting it's butt from what I've seen to apply it EQUALLY and across the board.

As a long time member here, I APPLAUD THEM for what all they are doing, and trying to do. It's hard! And they volunteer to do this for pete's sake!

So, suck it up folks! The rules are out there, plain as day. Agree to them, or not. Whatever! But to constantly gripe about them is really ridiculous. smile.gif

#17 Pcom Community Chest

Pcom Community Chest

Paulding Com member

• PCOM CC Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:02 AM

QUOTE (Beasley Hardwoods @ Aug 5 2008, 09:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Perhaps you need to read the form that I read last night that you need to fill out in order to request assistance from the CC. Trust me I don't think anyone would want to hand it to a Firefighter to fill out, so they could be approved to have people in the community bring them lunch to thank them for their time.

I however do belive if someone requesting monatary support should fill out the form. These are hard times, and people are willing to anything to get by, but I don't think the form should be filled out if someone offers to bring you a meal.

There are different ways of handling different situations.

1. The questionaire is standard for an INDIVIDUAL who is requesting assistance. For example, if someone approaches the CC b/c they've fallen on hard times and needs help to pay a bill, etc. This questionaire has HONESTLY NEVER been a problem for anyone seeking assistance in the past.

2. This form would not be used for a group event such as the Firefighter event. The reason why the Firefighter event was placed in the CC is b/c it is deemed an advertisement/reminder. Let me give you an example. If we host another Red Cross Event where pcommers donate their blood, we will place the advertisement in the PCC. It is obvious the questionaire would not be used.

QUOTE (Bwitchy @ Aug 5 2008, 09:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you Bwitchy!

QUOTE (LibertyLady @ Aug 5 2008, 09:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't recall that YOU were ever given the form. Others given the form YES, but not to you. It is standard when an individual is receiving assitance that this form be filled out. The PCC is able to use the answers to this question to redirect the individual to services within the county that might be able to help them, before putting their need out on the board.

The purpose of the Community Chest is to prevent fraud and to protect the advocates from any reprisals.

#18 Bwitchy

Bwitchy

Witchety Cricket

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,788 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:02 AM

I however do belive if someone requesting monatary support should fill out the form. These are hard times, and people are willing to anything to get by, but I don't think the form should be filled out if someone offers to bring you a meal.

I think that WHENEVER you do something publicly, it causes public scrutiny; therefore, trying to organize an event of this magnitude will garner public scrutiny. I, personally, wouldn't want to draw ALL of that attention to myself w/out making sure that I had my bases covered. I think the form and the CC in general is there for the organization's protection, the "do gooder's" protection, and the community's protection in general. If you don't wish to abide by Pubby's rules, then you can always organize these things outside of his board. I would say donations of ANY kind need to be protected. I, for one, would want to know that my mac & cheese (if I had donated it) was ACTUALLY going to the cause for which it was intended rather than someone's freezer for next Sunday's dinner. I think that the CC is there to ensure that. Likewise, my time is also valuable, so if I am donating my time, I want to make sure that it is really FOR what it's supposed to be for, and I'm not going to get there and find that something else is going on. I am in no way saying that the current projects are less than forthright; however, there are those who constantly try to take advantage of the generosity of others. Money is not always the only thing they are after.

In addition, by making sure that the organization is aware of the event/offers, it allows them to DECLINE it if it's not a good time for them--perhaps they have too much on their plate at that particular time, but they would like to do it a few months down the road. To me, it's just plain inconsiderate to assume someone wants your charity w/out checking with them first to see if it's a good time--especially when planning something of great magnitude. (I'm NOT talking about dropping off the occasional casserole to a neighbor or smaller acts of kindness/generosity.)

Of course, these are JMHO. smile.gif

Posted ImagePosted Image

#19 *~LisaG~*

*~LisaG~*

*not as sweet as you think*

• +PC BIZ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,197 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:03 AM

I however do belive if someone requesting monatary support should fill out the form. These are hard times, and people are willing to do anything to get by, but I don't think the form should be filled out if someone offers to bring you a meal.

It would be my understanding that nobody had to fill out the form for Gobble Gobble, it just got moved to CC b/c it was a community/chairty/fundraising "general" event.

I dont see a "big deal" in the Gobble Gobble being discussed in the CC, it gives one place for info to be found about the project.

I had to fill out the form for my parents "case" to be approved and saw now "harm" in it as I was asking for donations of stuff and some of the questions if they had been yes could of made their case a little less important compared to another.

I was "iffy" and still kinda am on the CC but so far its worked out well and I have had no issues. Even if I "get" issues with it, its not my CC so I cant argue.

The CC and p.commers helped my parents out GREATLY and I will FOREVER be appreciated to the CC for being there and for the p.commers who helped out. If said CC hadnt been here, I may not of had the chance to help my parents out.

#20 CarolineElizabeth

CarolineElizabeth

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,620 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:05 AM

QUOTE (Pcom Community Chest @ Aug 5 2008, 09:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are different ways of handling different situations.

1. The questionaire is standard for an INDIVIDUAL who is requesting assistance. For example, if someone approaches the CC b/c they've fallen on hard times and needs help to pay a bill, etc. This questionaire has HONESTLY NEVER been a problem for anyone seeking assistance in the past.

2. This form would not be used for a group event such as the Firefighter event. The reason why the Firefighter event was placed in the CC is b/c it is deemed an advertisement/reminder. Let me give you an example. If we host another Red Cross Event where pcommers donate their blood, we will place the advertisement in the PCC. It is obvious the questionaire would not be used.

I was writing this exact same thing above before it got erased!!! I completely agree.

and then some

Firefigheter event- not all of them should have to fill out a form. This is just an event to show apprecation to those who serve our county. In no way are each of these firefighters in need a charitable handouts.

Individual seeking assistance- We can not just ask for assitance on a public forum when we no nothing about them. There has to be paper work. Just as there is paper work when you file anything with the state for government assistance. County should be treated the same way. Then it is the pcom cumminty chest to decide.

As for for everyone always arguing about charitable issues I find it distracting from what the real problem is. There has to be rules that is life. They may not always be what each person wants. But I doubt when any rules apply everyone is 100% satisfied. Look at the full picture and continue to do what is best for our community. I find that is what everyone is trying to do anyways. Rules have to be set in place.

#21 Pcom Community Chest

Pcom Community Chest

Paulding Com member

• PCOM CC Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:07 AM

QUOTE (LibertyLady @ Aug 5 2008, 09:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No you don't have to like them. If everyone on pcom didn't have a mind of their own, we would be a boring homogeonous group. However, as far as the CC is concerned, we have to be consistent in the new rules that have been collaborated between PUBBY and the PCC. This helps the moderators know when to "let go" of a thread, it helps the PCC manage charitable events on the site (and be able to pull them when they are finished), etc. The reorganization was thwarted by in-house management and upkeep. It is not about any individual.

LL, the CC has always liked you and sees you as an asset to this community. We hope you do keep up the good work, but also understand that with each new endeavor you begin, we have to give you the same treatment as we give everyone else. smile.gif

#22 Pcom Community Chest

Pcom Community Chest

Paulding Com member

• PCOM CC Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:10 AM

Have you ever filled out a form requesting assistance from DFCS?
Have you ever filled out a form requesting assitance from Helping Hands?
Have you ever filled out a form requesting assitance from a church?

Everyone has forms. The purpose of the forms is to pinpoint the exact need of the individual and to make sure they are not using their needy cause fraudulently. It is not to hurt anyone's feelings or make them feel bad about themselves. Normally when people are in dire straits, they will fill out whatever forms necessary to get them the help that they need.

#23 SOLO

SOLO

I Have Flying monkeys and Will Use Them

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,780 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:13 AM

QUOTE (Bwitchy @ Aug 5 2008, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think that WHENEVER you do something publicly, it causes public scrutiny; therefore, trying to organize an event of this magnitude will garner public scrutiny. I, personally, wouldn't want to draw ALL of that attention to myself w/out making sure that I had my bases covered. I think the form and the CC in general is there for the organization's protection, the "do gooder's" protection, and the community's protection in general. If you don't wish to abide by Pubby's rules, then you can always organize these things outside of his board. I would say donations of ANY kind need to be protected. I, for one, would want to know that my mac & cheese (if I had donated it) was ACTUALLY going to the cause for which it was intended rather than someone's freezer for next Sunday's dinner. I think that the CC is there to ensure that. Likewise, my time is also valuable, so if I am donating my time, I want to make sure that it is really FOR what it's supposed to be for, and I'm not going to get there and find that something else is going on. I am in no way saying that the current projects are less than forthright; however, there are those who constantly try to take advantage of the generosity of others. Money is not always the only thing they are after.

In addition, by making sure that the organization is aware of the event/offers, it allows them to DECLINE it if it's not a good time for them--perhaps they have too much on their plate at that particular time, but they would like to do it a few months down the road. To me, it's just plain inconsiderate to assume someone wants your charity w/out checking with them first to see if it's a good time--especially when planning something of great magnitude. (I'm NOT talking about dropping off the occasional casserole to a neighbor or smaller acts of kindness/generosity.)

Of course, these are JMHO. smile.gif

Thanks BW you said it great.

Posted Image
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.

Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it Just pee on it and walk away.

s.l.u.t
Stressed-out Ladies Unwinding Together

"People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life like loving everybody all the time and being nice.....dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long

#24 Pcom Community Chest

Pcom Community Chest

Paulding Com member

• PCOM CC Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:15 AM

QUOTE (*~LisaG~* @ Aug 5 2008, 10:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It would be my understanding that nobody had to fill out the form for Gobble Gobble, it just got moved to CC b/c it was a community/chairty/fundraising "general" event.

I dont see a "big deal" in the Gobble Gobble being discussed in the CC, it gives one place for info to be found about the project.

I had to fill out the form for my parents "case" to be approved and saw now "harm" in it as I was asking for donations of stuff and some of the questions if they had been yes could of made their case a little less important compared to another.

I was "iffy" and still kinda am on the CC but so far its worked out well and I have had no issues. Even if I "get" issues with it, its not my CC so I cant argue.

The CC and p.commers helped my parents out GREATLY and I will FOREVER be appreciated to the CC for being there and for the p.commers who helped out. If said CC hadnt been here, I may not of had the chance to help my parents out.

There would be no form filled out for Gobble Gobble. However, in any NEW cases regarding events such as this, LL would have to get approval as and ADVOCATE from the organization she is representing. Since this project began before the reorganization, LL did not need to get approval as an advocate. We appreciate your input LisaG! smile.gif

QUOTE (CarolineElizabeth @ Aug 5 2008, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was writing this exact same thing above before it got erased!!! I completely agree.

and then some

Firefigheter event- not all of them should have to fill out a form. This is just an event to show apprecation to those who serve our county. In no way are each of these firefighters in need a charitable handouts.

Individual seeking assistance- We can not just ask for assitance on a public forum when we no nothing about them. There has to be paper work. Just as there is paper work when you file anything with the state for government assistance. County should be treated the same way. Then it is the pcom cumminty chest to decide.

As for for everyone always arguing about charitable issues I find it distracting from what the real problem is. There has to be rules that is life. They may not always be what each person wants. But I doubt when any rules apply everyone is 100% satisfied. Look at the full picture and continue to do what is best for our community. I find that is what everyone is trying to do anyways. Rules have to be set in place.

Thank you CE! smile.gif

#25 SOLO

SOLO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,780 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:33 AM

Look not everyone is the same. Not everyone will react the same. What I may think is a great idea to help or be nice may not be turn out that way. Sometimes in doing what we think is good we can run all over others and create hard feelings. Also what may sound like a great idea if seen in a different light may be more of a hinder. Example would be to get everyone all to fix food..when the person really could use the power to stay on or other bills to be paid. Nothing wrong with fixing meals but the real problem would have been to help with the bills and show the person where to go to get the food from another helping hands type place. You have to be able to see the WHOLE picture which is what the CC is trying to do.
Not everyone wants their personal business the talk of the town. I know for a fact I would not and I would be VERY upset if it was..even by those trying to do something good for me. You have to at least leave people their dignity. Just because one person does not mind does not mean all will feel the same way. I can tell you some of the things I have seen posted in threads to "help" would have sent me way over the edge and I would have been so embarrassed that I would have never again come anywhere near this board.
Posted Image

Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it Just pee on it and walk away.

s.l.u.t

"People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life like loving everybody all the time and being nice.....dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long

#26 LibertyLady

LibertyLady

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,270 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:33 AM

QUOTE (Pcom Community Chest @ Aug 5 2008, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you ever filled out a form requesting assistance from DFCS?
Have you ever filled out a form requesting assitance from Helping Hands?
Have you ever filled out a form requesting assitance from a church?

Everyone has forms. The purpose of the forms is to pinpoint the exact need of the individual and to make sure they are not using their needy cause fraudulently. It is not to hurt anyone's feelings or make them feel bad about themselves. Normally when people are in dire straits, they will fill out whatever forms necessary to get them the help that they need.

Food stamps? ah well-whatever....Okay-so to clarify-via the rules then-people who are getting money for relay for life or breast cancer 3 day or some such have to get a letter from the organization to say they can raise money??
www.protectpaulding.com

#27 Pcom Community Chest

Pcom Community Chest

Paulding Com member

• PCOM CC Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:36 AM

QUOTE (LibertyLady @ Aug 5 2008, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Food stamps? ah well-whatever....Okay-so to clarify-via the rules then-people who are getting money for relay for life or breast cancer 3 day or some such have to get a letter from the organization to say they can raise money??

No, because they have already gone through that process with the charity they are representing. If they want to advertise it on the board, we would ask that they post a link to the actual site where the funds are being collected. smile.gif

ETA: These charities would not have this advocate collect funds via paypal, there is too much room for fraud. The person would need to provide proof to the CC that they are indeed an advocate for this charitable event. We don't just want anyone (Joe Blow) putting out a message that he is collecting funds for the Cancer Society and then posting a link to his paypal. That's the kind of stuff we are working to keep off the board.

Edited by Pcom Community Chest, 05 August 2008 - 09:39 AM.

#28 LibertyLady

LibertyLady

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,270 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:40 AM

QUOTE (Pcom Community Chest @ Aug 5 2008, 10:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, because they have already gone through that process with the charity they are representing. If they want to advertise it on the board, we would ask that they post a link to the actual site where the funds are being collected. smile.gif

Is that the same as #6 up there?
www.protectpaulding.com

#29 Pcom Community Chest

Pcom Community Chest

Paulding Com member

• PCOM CC Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:43 AM

QUOTE (LibertyLady @ Aug 5 2008, 10:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, see my revised post.

#30 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,484 posts

QUOTE (LibertyLady @ Aug 5 2008, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Usually, they'll have a 'web presence' ... as these groups give them a web presence. I.e. when pcom had their relay team last year, (I think it was something like $75 to register on kintera.org ... ) we ended up with a web site that could take credit cards and the whole bit right through them.

Indeed, that would be the first step for someone trying to raise money for this kind of effort. For instance, I'd have to look it up but I know for a fact that to enter a team in the relay for life costs nothing like $1,000.00 ... a good team will raise $2-5,000 and only exceptional teams make it in the five figures.

That said, we do reserve the right to even be suspicious and even report questionable activities being done in the name of the ACS or AHA to their local boards and regional offices.

pubby

#31 Happy Wife And Mom

Happy Wife And Mom

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,177 posts

QUOTE (solosoul @ Aug 5 2008, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not everyone wants their personal business the talk of the town. I know for a fact I would not and I would be VERY upset if it was..even by those trying to do something good for me. You have to at least leave people their dignity. Just because one person does not mind does not mean all will feel the same way. I can tell you some of the things I have seen posted in threads to "help" would have sent me way over the edge and I would have been so embarrassed that I would have never again come anywhere near this board.

clapping.gif clapping.gif

#32 LibertyLady

LibertyLady

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,270 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:47 AM

QUOTE (Pcom Community Chest @ Aug 5 2008, 10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, see my revised post.

Thanks-I posted before I saw the revision.

QUOTE (PUBBY @ Aug 5 2008, 10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Usually, they'll have a 'web presence' ... as these groups give them a web presence. I.e. when pcom had their relay team last year, (I think it was something like $75 to register on kintera.org ... ) we ended up with a web site that could take credit cards and the whole bit right through them.

Indeed, that would be the first step for someone trying to raise money for this kind of effort. For instance, I'd have to look it up but I know for a fact that to enter a team in the relay for life costs nothing like $1,000.00 ... a good team will raise $2-5,000 and only exceptional teams make it in the five figures.

That said, we do reserve the right to even be suspicious and even report questionable activities being done in the name of the ACS or AHA to their local boards and regional offices.

pubby

Gotcha.
www.protectpaulding.com

#33 SOLO

SOLO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,780 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:47 AM

QUOTE (LibertyLady @ Aug 5 2008, 10:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What is really with you LL? You who just love to tell everyone how bad they are for talking "negative" to those trying to do good are here fighting against something that is set up to help those that need help and to protect those that help. Is this not the "pot" calling the "kettle" black? What is your REAL reason for pushing this so hard?
Posted Image

s.l.u.t

#34 LibertyLady

LibertyLady

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,270 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:52 AM

QUOTE (solosoul @ Aug 5 2008, 10:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What is really with you LL? You who just love to tell everyone how bad they are for talking "negative" to those trying to do good are here fighting against something that is set up to help those that need help and to protect those that help. Is this not the "pot" calling the "kettle" black? What is your REAL reason for pushing this so hard?

solosoul-I don't even want to talk to you about this-you've caused enough issues in my posts for helping in this county before and it's quite enough to stop it here.

There were some things that happened that should not have and it causes me to have questions and frustrations-with the recent many changes in the way the CC governs things-some of us were left with many questions and that's it.

Edited by LibertyLady, 05 August 2008 - 09:54 AM.

www.protectpaulding.com

#35 Bouquet

Bouquet

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:35 AM

Below is the form that I received to fill out for the CC. This was for people to share a meal with us. I can understand the need for some of the information. Believe me, I have filled in so many forms this last four months. Yes, it is four months today that I lost my son and grandson. It is also 4 months since Ashton nearly died. And the forms keep coming.

My honesty is not in question, but everything else is. I have offered to allow ANYONE to visit our home to see for themself how we live. Ok, I have kept the door to boys room shut off. I find it hard to go there but many have seen it also. My bedroom was closed so that I had one place to allow my emotions out.

Although I have NEVER asked for anything except prayers for Ashton, we have been aware of each project that has been done for us and been so very thankful. We received cards for gas and/or food while Ashton was still in the hospital. This made it possible for us to be with him more often. Many have given gifts to Ashton and that too has blessed our hearts.

The only money we have coming in right now is my disability check. It doesn't cover our monthly expenses. Last month our electric bill was paid for by a missionary group. Did we ask for it? No. It was given with love and prayers.

The garden and the ramp were not asked for either but both were needed. How can a garden be needed? Because it was something my son had wanted to give me and others knew my love of flowers. Did we ask for this? No but it too was given with love and prayers, good vibes, well wishes or however the hope was given for us. All was appreciated.

Now that the PCC has set up a new rulings on how Charity should be approached, I am left feeling that it was a hardship on the people that gave to us. If the CC has given money to sponsor any of the projects, I could understand the need to carefully watch the funds used.

The account for Ashton is still open and it still consists of $375. This I have also made everyone aware of in my posts. If the CC placed money in the account, I have not been made aware of it.

In the last two weeks, I have seen many changes to the P.com. I do not agree with all of them, but who am I to protest? I am not a member of the PCC, I don't even know who is on this board. Although I would love to know who it is. It was my understanding that the people on the board made the decisions of what would be allowed, not just one person. Pubby cannot be held responsibile for all of the decisions.

The changes I have seen has upset me and I let that be known... of course I was told that I was just venting. Showing emotion and concern are not always venting. We have been told to use the other areas for posting besides the Cafe. I do not go to the political section and I rarely go to the religious area either. Too many hecklers are allowed to say what they please... It is a free country and we cannot be accused of stopping someones freedom of speech!

The cafe was a resprite for me. Where friends gathered and shared their days and information. It is a shame that we are now being pushed into areas that we feel so uncomfortable in. IMHO!

It would have been to my best interest to have kept quiet on the subject of Charity. But when I see someone that has been so good to our family being harassed by someone and the harassment being allowed to continue, I had to speak up. This is no longer a community web site. It is a site where a certain group of people are allowed to speak their peace and to put down anyone not agreeing with them. Oh I know, you can catch all of them... but lately, it seems that the kinder, more gentler people are being put down and the ones doing it are encouraged to do it.

Leave P.com? No way. I know how to skip threads and I can do so. It is just a shame that any of us have to do so. P.com is becoming to look like a street that is no longer safe to walk down.

All of the above is in MHO. I want to thank each and everyone of the people that have touched our lives and encourage others to come meet with us. The ones that do not feel this way, you are still welcome to come but leave you bad "karma" at the door.

God bless,
Denise

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You do A,B and C, if you are collecting for them as advocate.
They fill out questions 1-20, either one of you must file the finished report and status of your case. (at the bottom of ques. 20)

QUESTIONNAIRE AND RESPONSES: All info is confidential

A) We need confirmation from the family that they are aware of this effort and approve it. The family may PM the Community Chest with approval.
B )You will need to estimate what each meal will cost and the number of meals you wish provided.
C) Please also provide your contact information in case we need to get in touch with you.

We need the family (or a family member) to fill out the questionnaire below and provide their names, address and phone numbers.

1. Do you receive food stamps? If yes: how much and what day of the month do you receive them?
1. Answer:
2. Do you receive any other type of Aid or Assistance from Federal/State/Churches....ANY Other type of Aid of Assistance?
2. Answer:
3. Do you receive WIC vouchers? If yes: how much? What day of the month?
3. Answer:
4. Have you used Helping Hands as much is allowed in the year? (Which is: 3 times)
4. Answer:
5. Have you received any help from area churches? If yes: when, what type of assistance and which church?
5. Answer:
6. Did you apply for Paulding Christmas? Were you approved?
6. Answer:
7. Is your spouse currently employed? What is occupation?
7. Answer:
8. Are you currently employed? What is occupation?
8. Answer:
9. How many adults are in the household? How many children?
9. Answer:
10. Do you receive any aid or assistance from family members? If yes: what type of aid or assistance and when?
10. Answer:
11. In which county do you currently reside?
11. Answer:
12. When was (the date) of the last request made (by you or on your behalf) from pcom?
12. Answer:
13. What was the last request (made by you or on your behalf) from pcom? Did you receive ANY type donations from the recent request? If yes: List everything you received.
13. Answer:
14. How many requests have been made (by you or on your behalf) on pcom in the past year? List ALL types of donations received from these requests.
14. Answer:
15. Have you received money, food or tangible goods from pcommers in the past year? (This INCLUDES money paid on your behalf- ie. payment to utility co.) If yes: How much and when?
15. Answer:
16. Your situation: Was there a job lose, an accident or a medical emergency, etc? Fully explain your hardship.
16. Answer:
17. What do you specifically need or want from p.com? What is the date you need the assistance? FULLY explain your situation. (ie. power bill needs to be paid within 10 days, etc)
17. Answer:
18. Have you (or someone on your behalf) previously asked for assistance on THIS hardship on pcom? If yes: When? What was the outcome?
18. Answer:
19. Is there a charitable account set up in the family's name through a church, bank or paypal or anywhere else?
19. Answer:
20. Is this a one time effort or will the family need ongoing assistance? If yes to ongoing effort: list all the ongoing needs of the family.
20. Answer:

It is your responsibility to update the Paulding.com Community Chest with the final status of your case.
You must report whether the need(s) were met or not.
You must report ALL of the donations received including money, food, tangible items or ANY other items.

The Paulding.com Community Chest is not responsible for the success or failure of the fundraiser.
Paulding.com reserves the right to remove your request at any time.

Thanks!
CC

I love you and miss you. Rest in peace my loves.

Ashton, Tristen, Phillip Aaron

#36 overit

overit

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:47 AM

I don't think anyone is getting "picked on"! I guess to some people that have posted above we should bend the rules for certain people. Is that what you are asking for? I have no problem with people being helped out, but after helping and then weeks later re-reading and people asking for more is getting old.

I really don't get why people are having such a hard time following the RULES. And pointing fingers at Relay for Life is just dumb. Donating to cancer research will continue to help for many years to come. That SHOULD NOT even be an issue.

#37 SOLO

SOLO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,780 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:07 AM

Ok I have read the form....it is a pretty standard form and I see nothing wrong in it. I guess you wold have had to worked with charities before or applied to one to know that this type of thing is done all the time and is in use for very good reasons. This is a way to help people and to protect those helping.....this has been said over and over and keeps getting pushed aside. I can not understand why anyone or GROUP would want to cause problems with this. I have no idea about the "group" thing going on as I have always been just ME. I do know that alot of PM's and phone calls go on behind the board to get people lined up on what they "think" is their side and the only real side is that of those who want to help. The shame is that WE should all work together and WE could do so much more.

Is it not posible for us all to work together? Everyone on the same page following the same rules? I know I have no problem with it being fair and equal to all. PLEASE lets stop all this US and THEM and see what we can do by all working together. PLEASE.

Posted Image

s.l.u.t

#38 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,484 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:24 AM

Without bringing up old issues; the reality is that broad-brush projects - such as construction additions - even buildings or other charity take a degree of planning that are not always present.

For instance, I would like a project to raise money for a group home for autistic children so that they may, once they reach age 18 or 21, be able to live independently of their families. I could 'throw' money at the idea and say that it is going to cost $2 million to do it so make your donation today.

The truth is that is significantly more money than is needed for this kind of project. A little planning and the like could probably drop the cost down to about a quarter million but we're not even that far along yet.

But why not raise the two million if you can?

What's the problem, wouldn't that be wonderful?

The problem is that when you don't have the planning and you are simply asked to throw money at the problem, if you're a good advocate, you might get every penny and then some. So, when you collect $2,000, when $500 would do; you have the lost opportunity cost of the balance of $1,500.

Each and every project that comes forth and is placed out there for contributions represents a value judgment including the alternative use of the funds if they were expended another way. Say the decision were to makeover a burned out kitchen for an elderly lady ... or even Ms Jessee . One alternative calls for the biggest and best refrigerator on the market at $2200 and the recipient is an 79 year old woman living alone. Sure that fancy double-door 30 cu-ft. fridge would be great but the a $300 18.5 cu would be more than adequate since the unit is only serving that one individual. And wouldn't it be better to have some money left to put food in the fridge?

But the super-heterodyne fridge is bought because this 'charity' has the money and needs to spend it for that project.

This is what happens all to often in every walk of life but then when we look around, folks don't seem to be very rational.

The folks in the CC are truly aware of the greater needs and see how remaining $1,400 could go to provide two or three more refrigerators or even food for shelves at helping hands.

Of course, when there is no planning and everything done is done only to see the feel-good meter go up means folks donate and sacrifice to give money that is spent fixing that one kitchen and oh, it is soooo nice ... Until you think about the 40 families that could have been fed if the one project were better planned and more realistically executed.

This is the issue that the folks at the CC have brought to me. And it helps explain why I am frustrated and they are too and why we are doing what we are doing and will continue to do so.

We had a report in the news that there is no food at the pantry at two local churches and Helping Hands shelves may well be bare this week.

The open-board, you'll feel good if you do this ... absolute ad-hoc nature of who advocates and ultimately who gets and who doesn't is the problem. That is why we created the rule of one time help through the CC:

Oh, but needs don't stop at one and when one individual is out there doing this, and that and all these wonderful things ... Lord knows they are wonderful ... but we can't get a word in edgewise for Helping Hands ... forget them I guess ... and yes we should all give all our money just to the efforts of Liberty Lady because she sees all the needs and fulfills them equally and with justice for all ... not.

There are a lot of people with a lot of needs and frankly one of the efforts of the CC is to try and rationalize - make sense - of the needs and prioritize them so that the greatest good is shared with the greatest number.

Let me close by saying that there are those out there that use guilt to manipulate people and things and they need to know that I'm immune to that kind of manipulation.

Bottomline, that kind of guilting of this community and me is over. These changes are made. DONE smile.gif

pubby

#39 HiramGirl

HiramGirl

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,215 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:27 AM

That is still crazy. Yes, your board your rules but you and your crowd are making it harder for people to coordinate a little care for people. We are not talking about a $1400 frig. This is meals and help for hardships. You are comparing apples to oranges. dry.gif

QUOTE (PUBBY @ Aug 5 2008, 12:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Without bringing up old issues; the reality is that broad-brush projects - such as construction additions - even buildings or other charity take a degree of planning that are not always present.

For instance, I would like a project to raise money for a group home for autistic children so that they may, once they reach age 18 or 21, be able to live independently of their families. I could 'throw' money at the idea and say that it is going to cost $2 million to do it so make your donation today.

The truth is that is significantly more money than is needed for this kind of project. A little planning and the like could probably drop the cost down to about a quarter million but we're not even that far along yet.

But why not raise the two million if you can?

What's the problem, wouldn't that be wonderful?

The problem is that when you don't have the planning and you are simply asked to throw money at the problem, if you're a good advocate, you might get every penny and then some. So, when you collect $2,000, when $500 would do; you have the lost opportunity cost of the balance of $1,500.

Each and every project that comes forth and is placed out there for contributions represents a value judgment including the alternative use of the funds if they were expended another way. Say the decision were to makeover a burned out kitchen for an elderly lady ... or even Ms Jessee . One alternative calls for the biggest and best refrigerator on the market at $2200 and the recipient is an 79 year old woman living alone. Sure that fancy double-door 30 cu-ft. fridge would be great but the a $300 18.5 cu would be more than adequate since the unit is only serving that one individual. And wouldn't it be better to have some money left to put food in the fridge?

But the super-heterodyne fridge is bought because this 'charity' has the money and needs to spend it for that project.

This is what happens all to often in every walk of life but then when we look around, folks don't seem to be very rational.

The folks in the CC are truly aware of the greater needs and see how remaining $1,400 could go to provide two or three more refrigerators or even food for shelves at helping hands.

Of course, when there is no planning and everything done is done only to see the feel-good meter go up means folks donate and sacrifice to give money that is spent fixing that one kitchen and oh, it is soooo nice ... Until you think about the 40 families that could have been fed if the one project were better planned and more realistically executed.

This is the issue that the folks at the CC have brought to me. And it helps explain why I am frustrated and they are too and why we are doing what we are doing and will continue to do so.

We had a report in the news that there is no food at the pantry at two local churches and Helping Hands shelves may well be bare this week.

The open-board, you'll feel good if you do this ... absolute ad-hoc nature of who advocates and ultimately who gets and who doesn't is the problem. That is why we created the rule of one time help through the CC:

Oh, but needs don't stop at one and when one individual is out there doing this, and that and all these wonderful things ... Lord knows they are wonderful ... but we can't get a word in edgewise for Helping Hands ... forget them I guess ... and yes we should all give all our money just to the efforts of Liberty Lady because she sees all the needs and fulfills them equally and with justice for all ... not.

There are a lot of people with a lot of needs and frankly one of the efforts of the CC is to try and rationalize - make sense - of the needs and prioritize them so that the greatest good is shared with the greatest number.

Let me close by saying that there are those out there that use guilt to manipulate people and things and they need to know that I'm immune to that kind of manipulation.

Bottomline, that kind of guilting of this community and me is over. These changes are made. DONE smile.gif

pubby

#40 overit

overit

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:33 AM

QUOTE (HiramGirl @ Aug 5 2008, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is still crazy. Yes, your board your rules but you and your crowd are making it harder for people to coordinate a little care for people. We are not talking about a $1400 frig. This is meals and help for hardships. You are comparing apples to oranges. dry.gif

I think Pubby did a great job explaining.........tons of people are in need everyday.

Each one of us has our causes we would like to see recieve funds, but that doesn't mean we are jumping up and down screaming to see it happen. rolleyes.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics