Recent Topics Recent Topics

- - - - -

Download Pcom Alexa Bar here

27 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_publisher_*

Guest_publisher_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2004 - 12:11 AM

Paulding.com has teamed with Alexa, a division of Amazon.com, to bring a new type of site search to Paulding as well as provide its members who use Internet Explorer as way to compare the ranking of sites they see.

Paulding.com's ranking has increased dramatically in the past three months from over 200,000 in the world to 118,433. That ranking puts the site in the top .2% of the world's 66.3 million web domains.

The 118,433 ranking represents a decrease in the ranked number (smaller is better and number #1 is the best) by 4,000 places in just the last week.

Users will be able to not only track the growth of Paulding.com but will be able to see how the other sites they visit stack up. The alexa tool bar also includes both a site (paulding.com) search and an Internet search box.

When looking for items with a single word, the Alexa search of Paulding.com actually works as well as the site's internal search routine, said Paulding.com publisher G. Patton Hughes. The Alexa search of the web also works well.

"The search brings up some items for sale on Amazon," said Hughes. Ignore them if you want but if you do choose to buy, know that Paulding.com does earn a commission on the sale.

To download the toolbar, complete with the Paulding.com logo, just click here.

#2 thatboyaintright

thatboyaintright

Called to preach on p.com

• ^BOPPER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,156 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 09:57 AM

I downloaded the toolbar. Easy to use on IE.

Anyone else using it?
"Great men wake up to slay dragons. Most are content to chase lizards. Therein lies the difference. Live Brave."

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 satellite

satellite

Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 11:17 AM

Anyone else using it?

No..I use Mozilla Firefox for my browser. It blows IE out of the water. Maybe I can get the toolbar for Firefox. I am off to check.

-sat

Gangsta rap made me do it.

#4 thatboyaintright

thatboyaintright

• ^BOPPER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,156 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 11:24 AM

I won't work on Mozilla browsers. I usually use Netscape. Lately I've used Maxthon too.

I agree that Firefox/Netscape is far superior to Internet Explorer.
"Great men wake up to slay dragons. Most are content to chase lizards. Therein lies the difference. Live Brave."

Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 GAhorsegal

GAhorsegal

Paulding Com member

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 12:07 PM

You guys had me at hello biggrin.gif, but you lost me at Alexa, Firefox, Mozilla ect. blink.gif
Work it!

#6 thatboyaintright

thatboyaintright

• ^BOPPER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,156 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 12:46 PM

You're a hoot, GAhorsegal!

Look in Webby's post & click on the link he gave. You can download the Alexa toolbar from there. It is pretty kewl.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 Guest_publisher_*

Guest_publisher_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2004 - 01:00 PM

GAHorsegal:

The Alexa bar is like having a 'rating toolbar' that tells you if anybody has ever heard of the site you're looking at. (If it has no data ... well it has no data.)

I'm one of those 'numbers guys' ... who likes the idea that these folks out in California not have heard of Pcom, but will probably put us in the top 100,000 Internet Sites before the end of year.

I'm trying to help them do that by having folks install the alexa bar. It lets you vote for sites as you surf and makes it kind of like you are on the Neilsen rating panel for Internet sites.

For the fellow geeks, let it be known that I use Mozilla and Firefox for a good part of my browsing but I do have alexa installed on MS IE.

What I do is if I want to see what I'm doing (whether there has been progress - there has, there has - ) is crank up MSIE.

If I want to see how another site rates, I'll do the same.

Oh, we've improved, BTW: Our three month average on Dec. 10th was 122,052 and now we're down to 109,533.

What was even more exciting was that our latest info showed we ranked at #25,595 for 'today' and #67,729 for the week. If we keep that up, we'd be in the top .1% of all world wide websites.

I suppose the real thing to know is that if every man, woman and child in Paulding were to log on to Paulding.com every day, our reach in the universe of 1 billion plus webusers would be .005% or about 100 daily users figure per million on the 'more stats page'.

The reason for the 'weirdness' of the figure is that their audience measurement is based on probably 300 million to 1 billion meaning our 15.5 users per million equates to over 3,000-10,000 daily users 'today'. Pcom's webstats show over 3300 unique daily users which means these figures do 'make sense'.

The cool part is not that alexa gives exact traffic figures - our webstats already provide real, logged numbers - but that it shows how we compare to other local-oriented sites and we're blowing them away.

#8 Quasimodem

Quasimodem

Paulding Com member

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 04:31 PM

Sounds like a great advertising tool, Pat.

Kinda like Gavin was/is for radio, although this Alexa probably doesn't provide local demographics, correct?

Q
The Georgia Ride for Wet Noses - April 2009. Stay tuned!

#9 thatboyaintright

thatboyaintright

• ^BOPPER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,156 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 05:45 PM

Looks like p.com is "moving on up."

Can we get a P.com screen saver?

Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 QTee

QTee

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 06:42 PM

I DL the Alexa bar...its pretty neat!
It tells me the # of every site I am on. It said, Yahoo was #1

You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think ~QTee 2/12/2008

#11 VoicesInMyHead

VoicesInMyHead

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 12:20 AM

Spyware, folks... Stay away. They throw a bunch of tools at you that you want (like pop-up blockers) simply to entice you to install the app. (Google does the same thing... so does MSN's toolbar). All of them are spyware.

Adding 3rd-party tools to your browser is a very bad idea. Don't get suckered by all the neato tools you get.

From Alexa's website:

To use certain features of the Alexa Service, such as the Alexa browser companion, you must install client application software. The software causes Alexa to collect and store full Uniform Resource Locators, more commonly known as "URLs," for every Web page that you view while using the Alexa Service. These URLs sometimes include personally identifiable information. In addition, versions 5.0 and higher of Alexa's browser companion software collects information about the content of Web pages that you view, which can also include personally identifiable information, as well as the products that you purchase and the search terms that you enter while using the Alexa Service.

By collecting URLs and other information, Alexa tracks and collects a record of users' Web browsing activity within and across websites ("usage paths"). Alexa also collects and stores other user information, such as the demographic and contact information you give Alexa when you download and install the software. For more detail about usage paths, URLs, personally identifying information, and Alexa's data collection and data use practices, see Alexa's Privacy Policy, which is a part of this Agreement.
When you use the Toolbar Service, we collect information about the websites you visit, the searches you perform when you use the "search" function, and the pages you view. This information allows us to provide you with information about the Web page you are viewing (Alexa's Site Info) and to build our database of information about related Web pages (Alexa's Related Links). Thus, for every Web page you view while using the Toolbar Service, the Alexa software transmits and stores the following information from your computer to Alexa:

Your IP address, which may include a domain name.
The full URL of the Web page you are visiting.
General information about your browser.
General information about your computer's operating system.
Your Alexa cookie number.
The date and time the above information is logged.
All of the above information is logged together in a single data string for each Web page you visit. Each string is logged in our database in the chronological order received from our hundreds of thousands of users.

The URLs we collect through the Toolbar Service sometimes contain personal information about you. For example, when you enter information on a Web page (e.g., when you complete an online registration form or sign up for a contest), the operator of the website may insert that information into its URLfor that or the next page. This information often appears after a question mark ("?") in the URL, although it can appear in other places. This means that your name, your address, your e-mail address, or similar information you might consider private or personally identifiable which you enter into a Web page sometimes becomes part of a URLthat is then transmitted to Alexa and automatically stored in Alexa's databases. This can also occur with words, topics, products, or phrases you enter into search engines whether those engines are provided by the Alexa Toolbar Service itself or found elsewhere on the Web while using the Alexa Toolbar Service. Alexa has no control over what information third party websites put into their URLs or where they put it, but any information in each URL is collected and stored by Alexa when you are using the Toolbar Service.

Edited by VoicesInMyHead, 20 December 2004 - 12:21 AM.

#12 Guest_publisher_*

Guest_publisher_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2004 - 12:52 AM

I wouldn't dispute a word you said, VIMH:

Two things, though. First, I do my 'buying' using Mozilla or Firefox largely because these browsers provide so much more security than does IE.

Since I'm aware of the spying ... I do consider that the information is not being collected in a personalized way by alexa although they may receive some of this information ... when a site uses the URL to transmit info such as a search on Pcom ... means I don't buy the idea that this is nearly as sinister as the NSA's monitoring of the Net.

Alexa has no interest in that material although they may collect it if it is run through the URL

So if you are paranoid about privacy, dump Internet Explorer and use Firefox... and if you do know that Alexa doesn't work on that browser anyway.

Otherwise, install alexa on IE and let it remind you of the spyware and use it when you don't care. If you do 'care' ... start up mozilla or firefox.

#13 Guest_publisher_*

Guest_publisher_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2004 - 12:59 AM

Quasi:

It provides no local demographics but the reality is that all this type of information is more or less available from my webstats or from the discussion/polls here.

TBAR A Pcom screensaver... it might come sooner than you think.

QTEE: Yep, Yahoo is number one ... Spent a little time on that site today as well.

#14 satellite

satellite

Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 01:02 AM

Yahoo is number one

Where does Google rank?

I would guess close to the top....it is the mother of all search engines.

#15 Guest_publisher_*

Guest_publisher_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2004 - 01:02 AM

Oh, BTW, new numbers came in today... we're down to #104,355. The daily and weekly stayed the same. I guess they update the three-month average (the 104,355) a little later in the day.

#16 buttercup

buttercup

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,883 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 12:53 PM

QUOTE (thatboyaintright @ Dec 19 2004, 09:57 AM)
I downloaded the toolbar. Easy to use on IE.

Anyone else using it?

I am going to try it, it looks pretty cool..... blum.gif
Don't worry about tomm, today has it's own set of problems.

#17 Nanny

Nanny

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,850 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE (GAhorsegal @ Dec 19 2004, 12:07 PM)
You guys had me at hello biggrin.gif, but you lost me at Alexa, Firefox, Mozilla ect.  blink.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif thats GAhorsegal, needed a chuckle

I will have to ask my brother smile.gif
what I use and if I should laugh.gif laugh.gif
hes my computer geek blink.gif

#18 mountainwoman

mountainwoman

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 07:17 AM

I use Safari browser. It is great for Macs.
Choose to be happy.

#19 lacey

lacey

Super Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,812 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 06:52 PM

On the alexa toolbar, it now says 65,116. Does that mean that the site has gotten that much more hits. That is a big jump for 100 and something thousand to 65 thousand.

WOW good job Pubby!!! It is now barely over 65,000.

#20 Guest_publisher_*

Guest_publisher_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2005 - 02:32 AM

I have to report that alexa puts us at 39075 now ... we actually broke 50,000 on January 1st.

Our weekly rating is under 10,000.

I figure something like 20 people put the Pcom Alexa toolbar on.

Makes me wonder where we might rank if 200 people installed this alexa bar? What if 2000 did? smile.gif

Fact is I find this exceedingly inspiring smile.gif

Know, though, that Alexa creates its ratings based on two things. The first is reach and the second is loyalty as measured by the number of pages.

What I'm seeing is that alexa ratings recognize the power of local.

If we were able to get two thousand pcommer's to use Alexa, we would be demonstrating the power of local in a totally appropriate and, in my mind, meaningful way.

#21 Guest_publisher_*

Guest_publisher_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2005 - 11:28 PM

Our Alexa toolbar rating is now 14,226 which compares to AccessAtlanta's 13,459.

Rating, as stated before, is based on a combination of reach and page views and while we have about a quarter of the reach of AccessAtlanta, we have 20 times as many page views so the 'popularity' ranking puts us neck and neck in the rankings.

Indeed, today, Accessatlanta.com ranked 17,338 with a weekly average of 12,972 showing they are 'going up,' for the week.

Pcom, by comparison, ranked at 14,326 today and our weekly ranking was 12,323 or nearly 650 slots ahead of AccessAtlanta.

We are hoping that the final numbers from next Friday or Sunday will give us the milestone we've been waiting for ... beating accessatlanta in the the three-month average ranking.

Paulding.com already ranks at the top of the 'county' section which you can see by clicking here ... Here's the graphic of that page showing us at the top of the 2910 local sites in that category. Attached File  mostpopularcountysitesingeo.gif   10.67KB   54 downloads

Meanwhile, www.pauldingcountygeorgia.com; the Chamber's site, has zoomed in the rankings from over 2,425,890 to rank at under a million at 826,863. For a quick comparison the Chamber site for Douglas County now ranks at 2,781,980.

Our goal, for those who are interested, is to help Paulding gain the reputation as the most wired community, not only in Georgia, but in the world. We feel that this is possible if those in the Paulding.com community reach out to those in the greater Paulding community.

We all have a lot of work to make this happen but the benefits of doing so for the entire community are enormous.

Our recent emphasis on being nice is also a recognition of the understanding that in a very special way, Paulding.com is our community's window to the world. People from far and near will ultimately come here to see what makes this website the success it has already proven to be.

As we seek others to join in locally, we need to be aware that what we say about ourselves and others is recorded and will be read by them and by others elsewhere.

#22 Meltid

Meltid

Icon

• ^BOPPER
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 11:45 PM

I downloaded the Alexa toolbar a couple of weeks ago and love it! ~ Meltid

Please Don't Litter! Fix Your Critters!

We Can Help! pauldinghumane@aol.com

Paulding Humane Society

"Please do the right thing! SPAY/NEUTER your pets!"

Please read "Cindi's" story at Cinderella

#23 Gem Man 86

Gem Man 86

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 09:19 PM

satellite: Google rates at # 3

Thanks,

Gem Man 86

P.S. I'm keeping an eye out on this alexa bar, but as for now it seems to help P.com so it stays. smile.gif

#24 thatboyaintright

thatboyaintright

• ^BOPPER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,156 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 12:07 PM

p.conm is moving on up the ratings!

Posted ImagePosted Image

#25 thatboyaintright

thatboyaintright

• ^BOPPER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,156 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 03:05 PM

QUOTE (satellite @ Dec 20 2004, 02:54 AM)
Where does Google rank?

I would guess close to the top....it is the mother of all search engines.

Yahoo is number 1. Google is #2.

Excite ( the portal I prefer) is #171 but MyWay is # 75 & it is exactly like Excite.

P.com is 7754 in the whole world.

WSB TV is # 17.903.

Looks like P.com is movin' on up!

Posted ImagePosted Image

#26 satellite

satellite

Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 03:35 PM

Excite ( the portal I prefer) is #171

You are sooo behind the times...I don't think I have even visited excite since at least 1997/98.

#27 thatboyaintright

thatboyaintright

• ^BOPPER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,156 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 03:38 PM

QUOTE (satellite @ Jul 16 2005, 05:27 PM)
You are sooo behind the times...I don't think I have even visited excite since at least 1997/98.

That's because I don't need a continuous stream of Lights, Sounds and Flashes to keep my attention.

I graduated 1st grade years ago.

Now, I only need the news, customized to my preferences. mellow.gif

Posted ImagePosted Image

#28 pauldingbabe

pauldingbabe

ICON

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 05:51 PM

i would like to have the bar but im not opening IE for anything.

im a Mozilla girl.

blum.gif
Posted Image

No matter how hard you try, you can't baptise cats!

"Satire is a sort of glass, wherein beholders do generally discover everybody's face but their own"--Jonathan Swift

Posted Image x3 Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics