4 replies to this topic

#1 vthokie

vthokie

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 01:15 PM

I bought a whole chicken from Whole Foods on Sunday. The pack date is the same day, there's no exp. date. I took it out of the plastic today and noticed it stunk (smelled rotten). Part of the skin that was tucked into the open cavity was a little brown and that's the part that smelled so bad. I've skinned it and taken off as much fat as I can and as far as I can tell, the chicken itself smells ok, but I'm not sure if it's safe to use. Does whole chicken always smell that bad or is it really starting to rot? If this were the normal boneless, skinless breasts I normally get, I'd throw it out in a heartbeat, but I don't know if this is really the same....?

Thank you! smile.gif Can you tell I'm doing this for the first time? Any tips would be appreciated (if I can use the chicken)! I'm planning to put lemon pepper and some other spices on it and put it in the crockpot.
"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law." Galatians 5:22-23

"You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who cannot pay you back." John Bunyan

#2 juleebella

juleebella

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,862 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 01:23 PM

I think I'd err on the side of caution and toss it.

#3 Hairazor

Hairazor

Salon Rouge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 01:26 PM

I would not take a chance on chicken. I would bag it up take it back to the store and get another one smile.gif

#4 vthokie

vthokie

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 01:34 PM

Thank you both, that's kinda what I was thinking. It would be BAD to make my family sick. sad.gif
"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law." Galatians 5:22-23

"You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who cannot pay you back." John Bunyan

#5 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,533 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 01:46 PM

If it does not smell good, toss it. Keep the wrapper, or your reciept, and complain and they will give you your money back. They are supposed to have a sell date though.
When you think they are ganging up against you....."Illigitimus non es carborundum"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics