• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 county line

county line

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 12:17 PM

i had heard about these boards and i'm glad i found a place to talk about EP football with others.

how do any of you think the team will do this coming season? i dont know how much difference there really is between 4a and 5a but i do think the region we are playing in will be a great deal tougher than our old region. no osbourns or chapel hills or woodlands on the schedule. harrison, north cobb and marietta seem like a step up from most teams we played in regular season in past years. etowah won that region a while back (i think) and cherokee has moved up to join us. i know maceachern used to be an elite program in the state until a few years back but they have a new coach.

how many do we have coming back from last season? i know this coaching staff seems to get the boys ready no matter what. any thoughts from anyone else?

#2 Lady Raider

Lady Raider

Super Icon

• +MPS extra
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77,772 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 12:37 PM

welcome to pcom we are looking fwd to another great season for the Raiders....
"The most dangerous place in the world to be is "Between a Mother and her Child"

Posted Image

In Loving Memory of My Daddy and Mama
3-29-08
and 10-24-2012

*say what you mean, and mean what you say*

#3 changesintheair

changesintheair

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 02:25 PM

QUOTE (county line @ Jul 2 2008, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i had heard about these boards and i'm glad i found a place to talk about EP football with others.

how do any of you think the team will do this coming season? i dont know how much difference there really is between 4a and 5a but i do think the region we are playing in will be a great deal tougher than our old region. no osbourns or chapel hills or woodlands on the schedule. harrison, north cobb and marietta seem like a step up from most teams we played in regular season in past years. etowah won that region a while back (i think) and cherokee has moved up to join us. i know maceachern used to be an elite program in the state until a few years back but they have a new coach.

how many do we have coming back from last season? i know this coaching staff seems to get the boys ready no matter what. any thoughts from anyone else?

I think the coaching staff at EPHS will have them ready to play. I personally do not believe that there any difference in the way the game is played in AAAAA or AAAA or any other classification. They all play under the same rules. Look at Buford, they can play with any body in the state regardless of the classification. The same can be said about Charlton County.

I realize that there will be no Woodlands, Osbornes, or Chapel Hills on the schedule but I think EPHS will hold their own in the new region. Looking at their schedule I see one that is similar to the one they played the past to years. Over all the teams they will play are better but not by much.

Here is the schedule and some "side notes":

8/15 - Hiram (H) - Jamboree - Hiram has got speed but EPHS should pull it out again. BTW... Why was Coach Sauls affraid to play EPHS this year?
8/29 - Rome(H) - Tough Opener but a good measuring stick. EPHS will get a good idea of what kind of season it will have when they play Rome for the first game of the season. Don't you know that place will be packed....Rome will come in look for some revenge from 2 years ago. EPHS will be looking to continue the run.
9/12 - South Cobb (A) - A new coach, Lost of speed at SCHS and not much of a recent history - EPHS should win
9/19 - McEachren (H) - New coach at the "University of" McEachren has he gotten his team to "buy into" the new program yet. I just do not think so - EPHS should win
9/26 - Marietta (A) - Depends on which Marietta team shows up. If Coach Friday is not careful then EPHS will take this one
10/3 - Etowah (H) - Could be a tough game but EPHS should win
10/10 - North Cobb (A) - NCHS lost most of last years team to graduation may face a let down - EPHS should win
10/17 - Harrison (A) - Probably the toughest of the region schedule. Too close to call right now
10/24 - Kennesaw Mountain (H) - The coach at KMHS is one heck of a fund raiser too bad it does not translate into wins for him - EPHS wins
10/31 - Cherokee (A) - Just look at the last two years. Lots of hype leading up but like the previous two years EPHS should win
11/7 - Woodstock (H) - This teams was down last year so this one could be fun. Depending on what is on the line for both teams in this game will play into who will in this one.

#4 county line

county line

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 04:11 PM

wow! sounds like another 10-0 season! the new region looks much more even from top to bottom. i dont see any of these teams being as bad as osbourn or woodland. that opener against rome will be tough for sure. i know their loaded this year. the talk ive heard from the few i know at harrison and hillgrove is that its easy to see theres been a change at maceachern. totally different offense and some talented players to run it. lots of speed. they also said marietta should be down from graduation plus they finished terrible last season. north cobb, kennesaw and harrison also lost a bunch to graduation. i think cherokee lost more than us to graduation and last season might have been their best shot. looks like a good season to change regions.

QUOTE (changesintheair @ Jul 2 2008, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the coaching staff at EPHS will have them ready to play. I personally do not believe that there any difference in the way the game is played in AAAAA or AAAA or any other classification. They all play under the same rules. Look at Buford, they can play with any body in the state regardless of the classification. The same can be said about Charlton County.

I realize that there will be no Woodlands, Osbornes, or Chapel Hills on the schedule but I think EPHS will hold their own in the new region. Looking at their schedule I see one that is similar to the one they played the past to years. Over all the teams they will play are better but not by much.

8/15 - Hiram (H) - Jamboree - Hiram has got speed but EPHS should pull it out again. BTW... Why was Coach Sauls affraid to play EPHS this year?
8/29 - Rome(H) - Tough Opener but a good measuring stick. EPHS will get a good idea of what kind of season it will have when they play Rome for the first game of the season. Don't you know that place will be packed....Rome will come in look for some revenge from 2 years ago. EPHS will be looking to continue the run.
9/12 - South Cobb (A) - A new coach, Lost of speed at SCHS and not much of a recent history - EPHS should win
9/19 - McEachren (H) - New coach at the "University of" McEachren has he gotten his team to "buy into" the new program yet. I just do not think so - EPHS should win
9/26 - Marietta (A) - Depends on which Marietta team shows up. If Coach Friday is not careful then EPHS will take this one
10/10 - North Cobb (A) - NCHS lost most of last years team to graduation may face a let down - EPHS should win
10/17 - Harrison (A) - Probably the toughest of the region schedule. Too close to call right now
10/24 - Kennesaw Mountain (H) - The coach at KMHS is one heck of a fund raiser too bad it does not translate into wins for him - EPHS wins
10/31 - Cherokee (A) - Just look at the last two years. Lots of hype leading up but like the previous two years EPHS should win
11/7 - Woodstock (H) - This teams was down last year so this one could be fun. Depending on what is on the line for both teams in this game will play into who will in this one.

#5 hitch

hitch

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:59 PM

My inside connection from Marietta says "We're very afraid of what EPHS has this season". Marietta is struggling to get any size on the line and felt the EPHS offense would have no problem moving the ball against them. The Marietta staff is not looking for a very good record this year.

I'm happy that HS football is just around the corner. The Raiders may have some close games, but I think they will be well balanced and deep in many positions.

#6 Ball

Ball

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 09:20 PM

This region is going to be a lot more difficult top to bottom.

Marietta always reloads, they still have some nice players leftover starting with Chris Tanzy. Plus EP is playing at Northcutt and that is never easy. Harrison has been an upper level team now for years I don't look for them to just dropoff now. South Cobb always has the athletes to compete and can upset anyone on any given night. North Cobb lost a lot of talent but have Rico Mack/Derrick Lott back and they are two of the top players in GA. McEachern was young last season, they will be better then most think. Rome will be very difficult.

Its hard to gauge right now, the schedule is much tougher then last season. It wont be a cakewalk. I have heard some of the coaches talk and they think it will be very difficult.

Edited by bball, 02 July 2008 - 09:22 PM.

#7 changesintheair

changesintheair

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 10:50 PM

QUOTE (county line @ Jul 2 2008, 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wow! sounds like another 10-0 season! the new region looks much more even from top to bottom. i dont see any of these teams being as bad as osbourn or woodland. that opener against rome will be tough for sure. i know their loaded this year. the talk ive heard from the few i know at harrison and hillgrove is that its easy to see theres been a change at maceachern. totally different offense and some talented players to run it. lots of speed. they also said marietta should be down from graduation plus they finished terrible last season. north cobb, kennesaw and harrison also lost a bunch to graduation. i think cherokee lost more than us to graduation and last season might have been their best shot. looks like a good season to change regions.

Don't get me wrong I am not predicting another 10-0 season but what I am saying is that in two years I have learned that EPHS has a coaching staff that can coach with the best of them and you can never count them out.

With that said, I think you are pretty accurate in your comments on the region. It will not be a cake walk. It will be a battle every Friday night.

I am still wondering why Coach Sauls backed out of the EPHS game.

#8 RaidersRock

RaidersRock

Boo Yah!!

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,364 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 11:57 PM

QUOTE (changesintheair @ Jul 2 2008, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know you, but I like you already. My son is an upcoming freshman, we love EP and can't wait for the season to begin!!!!!
Posted Image

#9 changesintheair

changesintheair

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:10 AM

QUOTE (RaidersRock @ Jul 3 2008, 12:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know you, but I like you already. My son is an upcoming freshman, we love EP and can't wait for the season to begin!!!!!

I think you know me. I think I may know you...

#10 Proud Raiders Mama

Proud Raiders Mama

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:15 AM

I know several kids that play for McEachern -- I coached them for 5 years at Milford -- and they have a lot of very talented kids on the team and they definitely have the size and speed. Two of their kids were the fastest in the region in track for 3 years straight and one was 2nd runner up. It really just depends on the coaching that goes along with it.

Fortunately, EPHS has an excellent coaching staff and lots of talent to go with it -- so hopefully we can have another 10-0 season.

My son is an upcoming freshman too. Football season can't come fast enough!

GO RAIDERS!!!!!

I love my #23 and #24 Raiders!!!

#11 county line

county line

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 09:03 AM

QUOTE (raidernationdad @ Jul 3 2008, 08:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know several kids that play for McEachern -- I coached them for 5 years at Milford -- and they have a lot of very talented kids on the team and they definitely have the size and speed. Two of their kids were the fastest in the region in track for 3 years straight and one was 2nd runner up. It really just depends on the coaching that goes along with it.

Fortunately, EPHS has an excellent coaching staff and lots of talent to go with it -- so hopefully we can have another 10-0 season.

My son is an upcoming freshman too. Football season can't come fast enough!

GO RAIDERS!!!!!

yes, the coaching staff is great. there were actually rumors going around that maceachern was looking at our head coach when dorsey retired. im glad he stayed put. the guys i know at hillgrove and harrison told me the same thing about the indians speed they saw at passing tourneys. they were also going on about how good the qb is. not a big running threat but very strong and accurate arm. we will see how good he does once the pads are on and our defense is in his face.

#12 Ball

Ball

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 10:11 AM

QUOTE (county line @ Jul 3 2008, 10:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yes, the coaching staff is great. there were actually rumors going around that maceachern was looking at our head coach when dorsey retired. im glad he stayed put. the guys i know at hillgrove and harrison told me the same thing about the indians speed they saw at passing tourneys. they were also going on about how good the qb is. not a big running threat but very strong and accurate arm. we will see how good he does once the pads are on and our defense is in his face.

He wasnt one of the top candidates for the McEachern Job. Reid was trying to leave, he put in for the Colquitt County job and was the runner up for the job, it ended up going to Rush Propst the coach from Hoover Alabama who has been all around the media for years now. I expect Reid to stay another year waiting for his daughter to graduate then find somewhere else, its a shame how much money they are putting into the program just so that man will stay put, hes going to leave anyways, its what he does everywhere he has been. He would of left if the new field house wasnt going to be built he says so EP is building it and then once its done I bet he still leaves.

#13 Proud Raiders Mama

Proud Raiders Mama

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 10:18 AM

QUOTE (county line @ Jul 3 2008, 10:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QB at McEachern is extremely talented! (one of the kids on our Milford team).

Marietta used to have one of the strongest teams out there, next to McEachern -- not sure what they look like now.

Edited by raidernationdad, 24 July 2008 - 01:23 PM.

#14 methyl1

methyl1

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 12:03 PM

QUOTE (bball @ Jul 3 2008, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He wasnt one of the top candidates for the McEachern Job. Reid was trying to leave, he put in for the Colquitt County job and was the runner up for the job, it ended up going to Rush Propst the coach from Hoover Alabama who has been all around the media for years now. I expect Reid to stay another year waiting for his daughter to graduate then find somewhere else, its a shame how much money they are putting into the program just so that man will stay put, hes going to leave anyways, its what he does everywhere he has been. He would of left if the new field house wasnt going to be built he says so EP is building it and then once its done I bet he still leaves.

That's the first I've heard concerning the colquit job. Wow. It is a business, afterall.

This year will be much tougher for our boys. No 10-0 this year. We are moving up to a much tougher region. I think some of the new teams will over look us and we will sting them. I predict we make the playoffs with a 7-3 record. Perhaps a 6-4 record. Our coaching staff will have them ready. I have a upcoming senior on the team and he says our only ? mark is the OL. Everywhere else we are loaded and deep.

Coach Reid spent all his time with the OL in spring and will do so the rest of the way to get them ready. He did the same thing last year, and our undersized OL played very well last year.

I can't wait.

Sauls said he didn't want to start the 08 season out with a loss. He said it ruined his team last year. What a cop out. He should have been sent packing this year, especially after backing out if the EP game. He better look out for Pepperall the are tougher than he thinks.

Edited by methyl1, 05 July 2008 - 12:07 PM.

It times of universa deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
George Orwell

#15 laughin out loud

laughin out loud

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 12:28 PM

I was told that Reid tried to get a job at Harrison but did not get a interview. They said it had something to do with some of his actions at EPHS.

#16 methyl1

methyl1

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE (laughin out loud @ Jul 5 2008, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was told that Reid tried to get a job at Harrison but did not get a interview. They said it had something to do with some of his actions at EPHS.

He said at our Booster club meetingin January (i think), that he was staying put. So we'll have him for at least one more year. If he were to leave, Coach Hammontree wouldn't miss abeat. He is a great head coach himself.

George Orwell

#17 laughin out loud

laughin out loud

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 01:31 PM

You may be correct on that but Reid does know how to win.

#18 methyl1

methyl1

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE (laughin out loud @ Jul 5 2008, 02:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You may be correct on that but Reid does know how to win.

He certainly does.
George Orwell

#19 Oh No Its Me

Oh No Its Me

I'm a ninja!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,821 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 10:35 AM

Good luck to all the players!! smile.gif

If you didn't see it with your own eyes or hear it with you own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

#20 COWBELLMAN

COWBELLMAN

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 05:25 PM

Heck yea, I can't wait until football season. I'll be there on the front row and you'll be able to here me and my little crowd loud and clear. Hey EPDAD, I'm gonna get over that way sometime and take a look at the field house when its all finished, you will have to give me a tour of the place. We need to get together and play some golf sometime too.

GO RAIDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#21 Derf

Derf

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:37 AM

10-0 quit drinking the kool aid. No one in that region goes 10-0. 7-3 6-4 yes. I think they make the playoffs but Rome and Harrison will be very tough games. Also North Cobb is no joke and could win jus do to the talent at the school.

#22 county line

county line

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE (Derf @ Jul 10 2008, 11:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
10-0 quit drinking the kool aid. No one in that region goes 10-0. 7-3 6-4 yes. I think they make the playoffs but Rome and Harrison will be very tough games. Also North Cobb is no joke and could win jus do to the talent at the school.

didn't north cobb go 10-0 last season? it can be done in that region but doesn't happen often. harrison has a new head coach and lost several to graduation but i agree they will still be tough. i heard rome is loaded. north cobb and marietta had many graduate too. mceachern lost the magic but has a new coach with a new offense and plenty of talent coming back. harrison and hillgrove friends tell me if we dont pressure the indian qb he will eat us up.

#23 RaidersRock

RaidersRock

Boo Yah!!

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,364 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 02:37 PM

QUOTE (COWBELLMAN @ Jul 9 2008, 06:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Heck yea, I can't wait until football season. I'll be there on the front row and you'll be able to here me and my little crowd loud and clear. Hey EPDAD, I'm gonna get over that way sometime and take a look at the field house when its all finished, you will have to give me a tour of the place. We need to get together and play some golf sometime too.

GO RAIDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait to see the field house it is huge!!
Posted Image

#24 GT_AU_Fan

GT_AU_Fan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:37 PM

QUOTE (methyl1 @ Jul 5 2008, 01:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He said at our Booster club meetingin January (i think), that he was staying put. So we'll have him for at least one more year. If he were to leave, Coach Hammontree wouldn't miss abeat. He is a great head coach himself.

As is Coach Ryan, who is the assistant head coach.

#25 Cuteyellowbug

Cuteyellowbug

Textually Active

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,422 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 07:30 AM

I have heard the same thing from the boys... OL is the weakest part of our team. I hope they step it up. There's a drop in the talent level after the Jr class leaves, barring any move ins. I think this should be one of our best years yet! We looked to be deep in most positions. There are several 2nd/3rd string players that would be 1st string easily at other schools.

Our freshman class looks to be a little understaffed since there was the split with NPHS. I think they may have a rough year.

I wish the Varsity, JV, and Freshman Raiders the best of luck on a winning season!

#26 OMacG

OMacG

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 10:07 AM

QUOTE (changesintheair @ Jul 2 2008, 02:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, sir...anybody can say they don't think the new coach has gotten the team to buy into his program...but can you give some reasons for this belief? I know the view from over here is seen through Blue and Gold glasses...but all the evidence says our boys bought into the whole thang. Some crucial elements that have been missing the past few years have shown up again: passion, intensity, swagger...and most notably- more boys wanting to be a part of it, some who haven't played since junior program. Does this mean a return of something we've realized was once taken for granted...something that we hunger and long for: prominence on the state level? We'll see...but things sure look promising, at least with the Blue and Gold tint. wink.gif

#27 methyl1

methyl1

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:51 AM

QUOTE (GT_AU_Fan @ Jul 16 2008, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is it possible that could be a misprint? Anyway, it doesn't matter. EPHS has a great coaching staff from top to bottom that will lead the boys to another history making season. It's just great to be a part of it all.

George Orwell

#28 methyl1

methyl1

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:55 AM

QUOTE (OMacG @ Jul 17 2008, 11:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, sir...anybody can say they don't think the new coach has gotten the team to buy into his program...but can you give some reasons for this belief? I know the view from over here is seen through Blue and Gold glasses...but all the evidence says our boys bought into the whole thang. Some crucial elements that have been missing the past few years have shown up again: passion, intensity, swagger...and most notably- more boys wanting to be a part of it, some who haven't played since junior program. Does this mean a return of something we've realized was once taken for granted...something that we hunger and long for: prominence on the state level? We'll see...but things sure look promising, at least with the Blue and Gold tint. wink.gif

I'm sure the new coaching staff has knocked some of the staleness of the past few years off. The boys have to be excited about the new possiblities. Are ya'll sticking with the wing-t or running a new offense?

Best of luck this season.

George Orwell

#29 OMacG

OMacG

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 09:27 AM

QUOTE (methyl1 @ Jul 19 2008, 08:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sure the new coaching staff has knocked some of the staleness of the past few years off. The boys have to be excited about the new possiblities. Are ya'll sticking with the wing-t or running a new offense?

Best of luck this season.

"Knocked some of the staleness off" is a great way to put it, methyl1. I think any time a program gets a new coach, there is bound to be renewed excitement...even more so when the new staff shows as much focus, preparation and direction as this staff has. A heap of folks around the state questioned the hiring of Hockman when we received almost 250 resumes from coaches all over. But he wasn't an unknown to Coach Dorsey and the others; they witnessed what he had done at Campbell, a school much tougher to win at in terms of what there is to work with.

The wing-t is gone, replaced by an offense that seems more productive and especially, more flexible in terms of adjusting to the differing level of talent each class typically has. Much less predictable than the wing-t, IMO. As I've said, lots of questions in terms of how things will shake out in Region 5. Every Friday night will be a dog fight and you'll certainly see better crowds and a better game night environment almost weekly. It will be fun times watching the season unfold...

#30 ValGal

ValGal

• +Member plus
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:02 AM

This football program has improved 1000% over the past few years. They have a good shot at doing good, even in this new region, thanks to the great coaching staff. Afterall, it is these coaches that have turned this program around. Just 5 years ago the team could hardly win a game, now everyone is afraid of the Raiders game!
"Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit."--Galatians 5:25 NIV

#31 county line

county line

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 01:20 PM

QUOTE (Cuteyellowbug @ Jul 17 2008, 08:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have heard the same thing from the boys... OL is the weakest part of our team. I hope they step it up. There's a drop in the talent level after the Jr class leaves, barring any move ins. I think this should be one of our best years yet! We looked to be deep in most positions. There are several 2nd/3rd string players that would be 1st string easily at other schools.

Our freshman class looks to be a little understaffed since there was the split with NPHS. I think they may have a rough year.

I wish the Varsity, JV, and Freshman Raiders the best of luck on a winning season!

i keep hearing the o-line is the weakest part of the team and that has got to be a concern. we could not get anything at all going in the playoffs against that south georgia team and that was with a more experienced line. the first 3 or 4 games might be tough but hopefully we can get through all right until they learn to play together. like you said the freshman class is where the results of the boundary split will show up. they will probably struggle with the more established programs in the new region.

#32 RaidersRock

RaidersRock

Boo Yah!!

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,364 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 01:40 PM

My son will be a freshman this year. He came from Moses and there were only a few that that will be at East. Maybe we will pick up a few more once school starts.
Posted Image

#33 Proud Raiders Mama

Proud Raiders Mama

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:32 AM

QUOTE (county line @ Jul 22 2008, 02:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i keep hearing the o-line is the weakest part of the team and that has got to be a concern. we could not get anything at all going in the playoffs against that south georgia team and that was with a more experienced line. the first 3 or 4 games might be tough but hopefully we can get through all right until they learn to play together. like you said the freshman class is where the results of the boundary split will show up. they will probably struggle with the more established programs in the new region.

There are actually a large number of talented and experienced players on the freshman team this year. We can't judge the talent of the players based on their record from 8th grade. That was an entirely different world of football. smile.gif We have a strong team and an incredibly dedicated and knowledgeable coaching staff -- so that should make for a good season. It may take a few games to get the OL and the defense where it needs to be, but after that we should be pretty solid. The speed and player knowledge is definitely there.

Three of my best friends have kids that are starting at McEachern this year ("the twins" and two other players) and their kids are very talented as well. However, they are not playing freshman ball this year -- they are playing JV. From conversations I've had with parents (friends) with kids at Marietta, McEachern, Pebblebrook, Hillgrove and South Cobb, majority of their experienced and talented 9th graders are going to be playing JV. We played rec ball for 5 years with a very large number of the McEachern and Marietta players over the years. I can't take it away from them, they are stocked full of seasoned, experienced players. .... but so do we!!! smile.gif

Granted, I don't know every kid on the team -- but the kids that I do know, that pose a threat to our freshman team -- they are playing JV, not freshman ball.

On another note --- the 8th grade Raider team is COMPLETELY LOADED with talent this year!

All of this should make for a very entertaining football season! Personally, I can't wait for Thursday nights, Friday nights and Saturday mornings to start! We love a good game of football -- ESPECIALLY RAIDER FOOTBALL! yahoo.gif

clapping.gif GO RAIDERS!!! clapping.gif

Mrs. Raidernationdad wink.gif

#34 OMacG

OMacG

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 09:10 AM

QUOTE (raidernationdad @ Jul 23 2008, 08:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are actually a large number of talented and experienced players on the freshman team this year. We can't judge the talent of the players based on their record from 8th grade. That was an entirely different world of football. smile.gif We have a strong team and an incredibly dedicated and knowledgeable coaching staff -- so that should make for a good season. It may take a few games to get the OL and the defense where it needs to be, but after that we should be pretty solid. The speed and player knowledge is definitely there.

Three of my best friends have kids that are starting at McEachern this year ("the twins" and two other players) and their kids are very talented as well. However, they are not playing freshman ball this year -- they are playing JV. From conversations I've had with parents (friends) with kids at Marietta, McEachern, Pebblebrook, Hillgrove and South Cobb, majority of their experienced and talented 9th graders are going to be playing JV. We played rec ball for 5 years with a very large number of the McEachern and Marietta players over the years. I can't take it away from them, they are stocked full of seasoned, experienced players. .... but so do we!!! smile.gif

Granted, I don't know every kid on the team -- but the kids that I do know, that pose a threat to our freshman team -- they are playing JV, not freshman ball.

raidernationdad-

I posted this on another PC board, regarding middle school ball:

IMO, the football programs at the Paulding schools would benefit greatly by joining the North Georgia Football League and getting away from staying in-county and having the middle schools only compete against one another. Currently, you've got kids on middle school teams who will attend and play at different high schools playing against future team mates at another middle school that feeds the same varsity program. I can't figure out why this hasn't been done yet, unless the "higher ups" are against such a move. I would think Coach Dorsey at Hiram would be a huge proponent of doing so- he's seen first-hand how it helps build a program.

The NGFL is made up of almost 30 teams; all of the Cobb, Cherokee and North Fulton public schools are represented in the league. Rome and Chapel Hill also recently joined. The Paulding schools are easily within proximity and the league typically places teams in geographic divisions. Player participation is determined by high school district, regardless of what middle school he attends (or if he is private schooled or home schooled). With this setup, the scheme and philosophy of the varsity program can begin being implemented at the 6th grade level...which flattens the learning curve immensely by the time they reach high school, allowing the varsity staff to spend less time teaching scheme, fundamentals, and especially working together as a unit once they come up to high school. I haven't seen any posts pushing this idea, but it's something to think about.

Check out the link: North Georgia Football League

Do you have any thoughts/opinions on the issue?

We do have some good players coming up through the pipe line; there was so much talent on that 8th grade team last season that some good players played 2nd or 3rd string. With Smith, Gamble, Cody, etc. spending time on JV, this will really give more kids opportunity to play and help develop our future depth even more. Moving them up also helps out the JV, as the rising sophomore class was relatively thin. The only twins I know of are the Barnwell boys, so I assume you know them. The last I heard, only one of them is playing football. He can be special...if he keeps his school work in order.

#35 Proud Raiders Mama

Proud Raiders Mama

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 09:57 AM

QUOTE (OMacG @ Jul 23 2008, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
raidernationdad-

I posted this on another PC board, regarding middle school ball:

IMO, the football programs at the Paulding schools would benefit greatly by joining the North Georgia Football League and getting away from staying in-county and having the middle schools only compete against one another. Currently, you've got kids on middle school teams who will attend and play at different high schools playing against future team mates at another middle school that feeds the same varsity program. I can't figure out why this hasn't been done yet, unless the "higher ups" are against such a move. I would think Coach Dorsey at Hiram would be a huge proponent of doing so- he's seen first-hand how it helps build a program.

The NGFL is made up of almost 30 teams; all of the Cobb, Cherokee and North Fulton public schools are represented in the league. Rome and Chapel Hill also recently joined. The Paulding schools are easily within proximity and the league typically places teams in geographic divisions. Player participation is determined by high school district, regardless of what middle school he attends (or if he is private schooled or home schooled). With this setup, the scheme and philosophy of the varsity program can begin being implemented at the 6th grade level...which flattens the learning curve immensely by the time they reach high school, allowing the varsity staff to spend less time teaching scheme, fundamentals, and especially working together as a unit once they come up to high school. I haven't seen any posts pushing this idea, but it's something to think about.

Check out the link: North Georgia Football League

Do you have any thoughts/opinions on the issue?

We do have some good players coming up through the pipe line; there was so much talent on that 8th grade team last season that some good players played 2nd or 3rd string. With Smith, Gamble, Cody, etc. spending time on JV, this will really give more kids opportunity to play and help develop our future depth even more. Moving them up also helps out the JV, as the rising sophomore class was relatively thin. The only twins I know of are the Barnwell boys, so I assume you know them. The last I heard, only one of them is playing football. He can be special...if he keeps his school work in order.

My apologies in advance for the length....

Yes, I totally agree with your thoughts on the North Georgia Football League program. This program enables the players to play together for 3 years before even entering high school. Anyone that knows the game of football knows that when the kids play together for an extended amount of time, the team plays better as a whole. They all get to know each other's mannerisms, strengths and weaknesses and enables them to learn the offensive and defensive plays without any hesitation or thought! So once they get into high school, majority of the fundamentals pertaining to THAT team are already second nature to them. Not to mention -- this allows them to play football in 6th grade.

We moved to Paulding when my oldest son was in 5th grade. At that time, we continued to play rec ball in Cobb County. It wasn't until my oldest entered middle school that I noticed the difference in the sports programs. When we realized that he wouldn't be able to play school football in 6th grade, I made a few phone calls and I got the impression from the BOE that their sports program wasn't really that high on their "importance" list. It seemed like they viewed their sports programs as if they were just there for an "intramural" type thing. I could be wrong, but that's just my observation and impression. Where do we even begin to push for the change to North Georgia Football League? Is that something that is started by the coaches or directly from the BOE?

All of the kids you mentioned were on our rec team for several years. My kids played with them since they were 5 years old! smile.gif The Barnwell boys are a force to be reckoned with -- and always have been. At the age of 6 they were LAYING players out on the field. Both of them are great kids -- if they can just keep their grades up, and stay out of the fights -- the "Barnwell" name will definitely be one that is remembered in the area! Smith, Gamble and Cody were all on our team too. Gamble's speed was off the charts (and I'm sure still is). My kids also ran track with him for several years and he set many records! There wasn't a player in the NGYFL that could hawk him down once he got going! Smith is just a mack truck. He has ZERO fear (that he will show anyway laugh.gif ) and is a valuable player on both offense and defense. I was told this morning that one twin will be playing for JV and the other for freshman ... not sure of the actual outcome though! smile.gif

There are several names on all of EP's team that are well known in the NGYFL too. The size of some of the players on our teams is just astonishing. Not to mention the enthusiasm and dedication that has been instilled in them. The past few years of phenomenal seasons just boosts that even more. We will definitely be able to hold our own in the new division.

However, I must let you know that this is Mrs. Raidernationdad! smile.gif My husband would probably get into a MUCH more in depth conversation with you. laugh.gif
He coached for 5 years with Smith, Gamble and Marshall's dad. (Marshall plays for Hillgrove -- another incredible player).

Good luck to you in your upcoming season. It sounds like the game in September is going to be a very entertaining one! Even though several kids from your team have been to my house more times than I can count, I gotta be in my BLACK AND SILVER ROOTING FOR THE RAIDERS ALL THE WAY! clapping.gif However, I may be seen "visiting" with people on the other side of the field at half time or hugging some players in blue and gold after the game! wub.gif

Edited by raidernationdad, 23 July 2008 - 09:59 AM.

#36 OMacG

OMacG

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 10:20 AM

QUOTE (raidernationdad @ Jul 23 2008, 09:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My apologies in advance for the length....

Yes, I totally agree with your thoughts on the North Georgia Football League program. This program enables the players to play together for 3 years before even entering high school. Anyone that knows the game of football knows that when the kids play together for an extended amount of time, the team plays better as a whole. They all get to know each other's mannerisms, strengths and weaknesses and enables them to learn the offensive and defensive plays without any hesitation or thought! So once they get into high school, majority of the fundamentals pertaining to THAT team are already second nature to them. Not to mention -- this allows them to play football in 6th grade.

We moved to Paulding when my oldest son was in 5th grade. At that time, we continued to play rec ball in Cobb County. It wasn't until my oldest entered middle school that I noticed the difference in the sports programs. When we realized that he wouldn't be able to play school football in 6th grade, I made a few phone calls and I got the impression from the BOE that their sports program wasn't really that high on their "importance" list. It seemed like they viewed their sports programs as if they were just there for an "intramural" type thing. I could be wrong, but that's just my observation and impression. Where do we even begin to push for the change to North Georgia Football League? Is that something that is started by the coaches or directly from the BOE?

All of the kids you mentioned were on our rec team for several years. My kids played with them since they were 5 years old! smile.gif The Barnwell boys are a force to be reckoned with -- and always have been. At the age of 6 they were LAYING players out on the field. Both of them are great kids -- if they can just keep their grades up, and stay out of the fights -- the "Barnwell" name will definitely be one that is remembered in the area! Smith, Gamble and Cody were all on our team too. Gamble's speed was off the charts (and I'm sure still is). My kids also ran track with him for several years and he set many records! There wasn't a player in the NGYFL that could hawk him down once he got going! Smith is just a mack truck. He has ZERO fear (that he will show anyway laugh.gif ) and is a valuable player on both offense and defense. I was told this morning that one twin will be playing for JV and the other for freshman ... not sure of the actual outcome though! smile.gif

There are several names on all of EP's team that are well known in the NGYFL too. The size of some of the players on our teams is just astonishing. Not to mention the enthusiasm and dedication that has been instilled in them. The past few years of phenomenal seasons just boosts that even more. We will definitely be able to hold our own in the new division.

However, I must let you know that this is Mrs. Raidernationdad! smile.gif My husband would probably get into a MUCH more in depth conversation with you. laugh.gif
He coached for 5 years with Smith, Gamble and Marshall's dad. (Marshall plays for Hillgrove -- another incredible player).

Good luck to you in your upcoming season. It sounds like the game in September is going to be a very entertaining one! Even though several kids from your team have been to my house more times than I can count, I gotta be in my BLACK AND SILVER ROOTING FOR THE RAIDERS ALL THE WAY! clapping.gif However, I may be seen "visiting" with people on the other side of the field at half time or hugging some players in blue and gold after the game! wub.gif

Thanks for the reply, MRS. raidernationdad (smile).

I know the Smiths and Gambles well and it is obvious you do, too- Cameron can still fly (though there are others who can keep up with him now, and a couple who are faster) and AJ is more than a bit sadistic (and I mean that in the most complimentary fashion). Presently, Cameron and Cody are playing defensive back and AJ is at running back. With the number of kids in high school, it is rare in AAAAA to need a player to go both ways. I won't say too much more about Kenyan and Kelton on a public forum, other than they both are much brighter than their academic performance indicates...and they've certainly had some tough things to overcome in life.

IMO, the push to create true feeder programs and join NGFL should come from the coaches at the high schools, as well as parents like yourself. Like I mentioned, Andy Dorsey over at Hiram should be more than willing to move in that direction...perhaps he has tried and received the same response you did. Very apt description in saying the County views the middle school sports programs as "intramural" type events. I'm amazed they still don't understand the place and importance athletic success brings to a community, particularly the sport of football in this state.

Welcome to Region 5 and we look forward to hosting you folks on a Thursday night in September...and visiting you all the following week on a Friday night. smile.gif

#37 GT_AU_Fan

GT_AU_Fan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 10:01 AM

QUOTE (methyl1 @ Jul 19 2008, 09:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is it possible that could be a misprint? Anyway, it doesn't matter. EPHS has a great coaching staff from top to bottom that will lead the boys to another history making season. It's just great to be a part of it all.

Nope, not a misprint. He's been assistant head coach since the first season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics