31 replies to this topic

#1 TabbyCat

TabbyCat

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,007 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 04:34 PM

My garden is putting out a serious amount of summer squash, both zucchini and yellow squash. I've been giving it to my neighbors, door-to-door, and I still have bunches.

What I need to find is a REALLY GOOD recipe for a yellow squash casserole. We use yellow squash in salads, and we grill it. I used to love it fried when I was a kid, but I really don't eat much fried food anymore. So, I want to make a really yummy casserole--something with squash, butter, onions, and some sort of bread-type filler.

But I'm open to ANY squash recipes anyone wants to share--for yellow or zucchini. Please help!!

Edited by TabbyCat, 26 June 2008 - 06:06 PM.

#2 Lady Raider

Lady Raider

Super Icon

• +MPS extra
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77,811 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 04:38 PM

oh my gosh send them my way if you want to get rid of them LOL

"The most dangerous place in the world to be is "Between a Mother and her Child"

Posted Image

In Loving Memory of My Daddy and Mama
3-29-08
and 10-24-2012

*say what you mean, and mean what you say*

#3 Bwitchy

Bwitchy

Witchety Cricket

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,788 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 04:41 PM

1) I love squash. happy.gif
2) I make a squash caserole that's pretty simple.
Basically you boil the squash w/ onions until tender. Drain well. Add just a little milk and shredded cheese, salt and pepper to taste. Mash everything together. Top w/ bread crumbs and then melt a little butter on top. Then bake it all together at about 350 until golden brown. Sorry, I don't have measurements b/c I just do it by "sight" and to "taste." BTW, it works with just yellow squash or a mixture of yellow and zuchinni.

"Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."—Mark Twain

Posted ImagePosted Image

Alternate signature available for those under 3 and right wing conservatives.
Why does it have to be political correctness? Why can't it just be common courtesy?
If Tylenol, duct tape, or a band aid can't fix it... you've got a serious problem!

#4 Lady Raider

Lady Raider

Super Icon

• +MPS extra
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77,811 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 04:44 PM

Have you ever pickled them?
"The most dangerous place in the world to be is "Between a Mother and her Child"

Posted Image

3-29-08
and 10-24-2012

#5 DallasRED

DallasRED

GO NAVY!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,979 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 04:48 PM

Cant go wrong with Paula.

http://www.foodnetwo...6_22718,00.html
Posted Image

"Why are some people such assholes for no reason but then are the first to bitch to the mods when the tables are turned" GO BLUE

"You judge me and think you know me, and I'm quite sure we've never met. You know nothing." MADEA

"NOT ONE DAMN ONE OF YOU HAS THE RIGHT TO TELL ME I CAN NOT FEEL THE WAY I DO." SOLO

#6 TabbyCat

TabbyCat

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,007 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 04:50 PM

QUOTE (Lady Raider @ Jun 26 2008, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you ever pickled them?

Noooooooooooo..but I'd love a recipe to do it!! wink.gif

#7 lulu

lulu

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,553 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 04:51 PM

Also my grandmother does this and it's oh so good:

cut the squash in 1/2 longways
boil til tender (20 minutes) and drain
take a fork and rake through each squash
put them on a cookie sheet and put butter and drizzle Karo syrup (white) over them
bake in the oven for 30 minutes at 350 degrees...

mmmmmmm

Posted Image

#8 Lady Raider

Lady Raider

Super Icon

• +MPS extra
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77,811 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 05:10 PM

QUOTE (TabbyCat @ Jun 26 2008, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Noooooooooooo..but I'd love a recipe to do it!! wink.gif

you can make them hot( my favorite) or sweet, have you ever made chow chow? it is about the same way.... you add onion, and then if you like hot stuff add some hot pepper, if you like them sweet add sugar.. I will look for the receipe

Posted Image

3-29-08
and 10-24-2012

#9 TabbyCat

TabbyCat

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,007 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 05:12 PM

QUOTE (Lady Raider @ Jun 26 2008, 06:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you can make them hot( my favorite) or sweet, have you ever made chow chow? it is about the same way.... you add onion, and then if you like hot stuff add some hot pepper, if you like them sweet add sugar.. I will look for the receipe

Thank you!! wub.gif

No, I've never made chow chow, so yes, I'd need a recipe. But I'll try it if you find one for me, and I'll share a jar with you for the favor! wink.gif

Keep 'em coming, folks! These are great!

#10 momof2

momof2

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 05:50 PM

Thanks for the link to Paula! I love her!! I am going to try this one very soon!

#11 TabbyCat

TabbyCat

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,007 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 06:04 PM

QUOTE (momof2 @ Jun 26 2008, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the link to Paula! I love her!! I am going to try this one very soon!

I know!! Doesn't that sound great?

I'm making this recipe for stuffed zucchini for our dinner tonight. It sounded really good, and I've got zucchini that are 12" or more, easily!

I also have fresh tomatoes, basil, and rosemary for the recipe linked above. I just LOVE it when my yard gives me such good stuff! wub.gif

I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

Edited by TabbyCat, 26 June 2008 - 06:07 PM.

#12 nadineatl

nadineatl

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 06:23 PM

My grandmother always diced them and sauteed them in butter, then added corn. MMMMMMMM
There is a fine line between being enthusiastic and being obnoxious. I call that line Richard Simmons.

#13 KRM

KRM

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,912 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE (TabbyCat @ Jun 26 2008, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know!! Doesn't that sound great?

I'm making this recipe for stuffed zucchini for our dinner tonight. It sounded really good, and I've got zucchini that are 12" or more, easily!

I also have fresh tomatoes, basil, and rosemary for the recipe linked above. I just LOVE it when my yard gives me such good stuff! wub.gif

I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

OMG!!! I copied and saved this recipe!!! Another thing you can do it saute the squash, zucchini and onin with olive oil and basil or other spices. EXCELLENT!!!

Hush up, you Stalker!!

#14 KRM

KRM

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,912 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 07:28 PM

oops! Double edit!!! The recipe was tasty looking- but...

Hush up, you Stalker!!

#15 TabbyCat

TabbyCat

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,007 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 07:31 PM

I'm lovin' all of these recipes!!

I just went out picking in my garden. I can't believe it. I just picked a zuccinhi that's--get this--18"!!!!!!!!!! (I measured it--couldn't believe how BIG it was!)

ohmy.gif

Of course I took a picture, but I'll add it tomorrow. I'm tired tonight! blush.gif

On another note and just a quick question--is anyone else who's growing tomatoes finding them slow to ripen this year?

I have WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too many tomato plants, and lots of tomatoes, but they just aren't ripening like they should.

Anyone else?

unsure.gif

Edited by TabbyCat, 26 June 2008 - 07:32 PM.

#16 1stimemom

1stimemom

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,903 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 07:31 PM

I do sort of a twice baked squash type dish. Cut the squash in half, length wise and scrape the insides out. Chop the insides up and sautee in butter with diced onion. Put the mixture back into the "shell", top with crushed Ritz crackers and sharp cheddar cheese and bake until the cheese is bubbly.
Posted Image

#17 Miss D

Miss D

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 10:12 PM

From my mother-in-law's kitchen ....

3-4 Yellow Squash
1 Medium Onion
1/2 Stick Butter or Margarine
Salt and Pepper to taste

Clean and slice squash. Slice onion and pull apart. Place all ingredients in pan on top of stove. Add butter, salt and pepper. Cook on medium heat, stirring and mashing until water is cooked down.

Medium container Sour Cream
Cream of Mushroom Soup
Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoning
1/2 Stick Butter

Add sour cream and cream of mushroom soup to mixture above. Let it simmer 5 minutes or so. Remove from heat and pour into a casserol dish. Melt butter, add just enough herb seasoning to top your casserol dish to the butter and blend well. Pour on top of casserol dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. D

Yummy. My ex-husband hated squash but loved this recipe. He's since passed and my daughter always insists that we make this dish either at Thanksgiving or Christmas in remembrance of her dad.

Enjoy!
September 25 is Ataxia Awareness Day[I][COLOR=blue][B]

#18 TabbyCat

TabbyCat

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,007 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 10:14 PM

QUOTE (Miss D @ Jun 26 2008, 11:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From my mother-in-law's kitchen ....

3-4 Yellow Squash
1 Medium Onion
1/2 Stick Butter or Margarine
Salt and Pepper to taste

Clean and slice squash. Slice onion and pull apart. Place all ingredients in pan on top of stove. Add butter, salt and pepper. Cook on medium heat, stirring and mashing until water is cooked down.

Medium container Sour Cream
Cream of Mushroom Soup
Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoning
1/2 Stick Butter

Add sour cream and cream of mushroom soup to mixture above. Let it simmer 5 minutes or so. Remove from heat and pour into a casserol dish. Melt butter, add just enough herb seasoning to top your casserol dish to the butter and blend well. Pour on top of casserol dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. D

Yummy. My ex-husband hated squash but loved this recipe. He's since passed and my daughter always insists that we make this dish either at Thanksgiving or Christmas in remembrance of her dad.

Enjoy!

Ooooh...I am SO making that one!!

Thank you!

#19 Miss D

Miss D

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 10:18 PM

QUOTE (TabbyCat @ Jun 26 2008, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ooooh...I am SO making that one!!

Thank you!

You're welcome. I hope it will become a favorite recipe for your family just as it has for mine.

September 25 is Ataxia Awareness Day[I][COLOR=blue][B]

#20 melw0103

melw0103

Paulding Com member

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 06:45 AM

zucchini bread! My kids adore it smile.gif

#21 Horsepower

Horsepower

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 07:25 AM

You can also make vegetable lasagna (sp?). YUMMY! Sorry, don't have a good recipe. Wish I did.
WHEN LIFE GETS ROUGH.....RIDE IT OUT.

Posted Image

#22 copschick

copschick

Tow's top chick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,168 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 07:43 AM

squash dressing is good too! I'll have to find the recipe when I get home smile.gif
Posted Image

#23 mrsbhavn

mrsbhavn

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,219 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 08:28 AM

I cut up squash in "coins" then quarter them so they are small, bite sized. Add chopped onion, pepper and cover with water. Boil until the squash is soft. Drain the excess water. I cook the squash in a Corningware dish that has a lid and can go into the oven.

Add shredded cheese to the bottom of the dish, return the drained squash and onions, top with a layer of Pepperidge Farm stuffing crumbs and more cheese. Bake in the oven uncovered for 5 - 10 minutes - basically until the cheese on top is melted good.

I know you said you don't fry food, but I'll add this recipe anyway:

Coin the squash. Put a cup of flour in a sack. Add the coins to the flower and shake up so they are all covered evenly. Remove the squash from flour and put in a pot of boiling oil. Fry them - I've found that once the seeds start turning golden, they are just about done. Remove the squash from the oil and put them on a stack of papertowels to drain excess grease. Sprinkle with salt - or - even better, sprinkle with garlic sea salt.

Edited by kittycrickett, 27 June 2008 - 08:32 AM.

#24 TabbyCat

TabbyCat

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,007 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 08:34 AM

QUOTE (kittycrickett @ Jun 27 2008, 09:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I cut up squash in "coins" then quarter them so they are small, bite sized. I cook the squash in a Corningware dish that has a lid and can go into the oven. Add chopped onion and pepper. Boil until the squash is soft. Drain the excess water.

Add shredded cheese to the bottom of the dish, add the squash and onions, top with a layer of Pepperidge Farm stuffing crumbs and more cheese. Bake in the oven uncovered for 5 - 10 minutes - basically until the cheese on top is melted good.

I know you said you don't fry food, but I'll add this recipe anyway:

Coin the squash. Put a cup of flour in a sack. Add the coins to the flower and shake up so they are all covered evenly. Remove the squash from flour and put in a pot of boiling oil. Fry them - I've found that once the seeds start turning golden, they are just about done. Remove the squash from the oil and put them on a stack of papertowels to drain excess grease. Sprinkle with salt - or - even better, sprinkle with garlic sea salt.

Those both sound yummy.

I love fried squash...I just don't cook it much (or for that matter anything fried in deep oil) anymore. But with so much on my hands, maybe I will. smile.gif

#25 Arrgh

Arrgh

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 08:40 AM

Hubby's Favorite: you can use both yellow and zuchinni squash- cut in half lengthwise, lightly brush with olive oil, lightly salt, and grill until tender. (we use our George Foreman).

And, yes, our tomatoes are slow to ripen too! And now I'm being invaded by tomato hornworms!

#26 TabbyCat

TabbyCat

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,007 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 08:46 AM

QUOTE (SOwife @ Jun 27 2008, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hubby's Favorite: you can use both yellow and zuchinni squash- cut in half lengthwise, lightly brush with olive oil, lightly salt, and grill until tender. (we use our George Foreman).

And, yes, our tomatoes are slow to ripen too! And now I'm being invaded by tomato hornworms!

Oh no!! ohmy.gif

Hope you can get rid of them!!

We love both yellow and zucchini squash grilled. I cut large squash in half, then quarter the halves. Mix them in a bowl with olive oil, dried oregano, garlic salt, and grated parmesan cheese (like you use for spaghetti) until coated, then grill them. YUM!!

but I'm tired of eating them like that, so that's why I'm looking for good recipes! wink.gif

#27 juleebella

juleebella

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,862 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 08:54 AM

I've got a really good squash casserole recipe that includes chopped water chestnuts which add an interesting crunch, but I'm at work and the recipe is at home. I'm pretty sure it's in my Cobb Jr. League cookbook.

#28 CATMAX

CATMAX

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 10:20 AM

my wife makes this one and it has been given rave reviews by many people

SQUASH CASSEROLE

6-8 SMALL TO MEDIUM SQUASH
1- MEDIUM VIDALIA ONION
1 CAN CREAM OF CHICKEN SOUP
1 SAMLL JAR OF PIMENTO PEPPERS
1 CAN WATER CHESTNUTS SLICED (DICE INTO LITTLE CHUNKS)
1 CONTAINER OF SOUR CREAM
1 BAG OF PEPPERIDGE FARMS STUFFING
2 STICKS BUTTER

1) SLICE SQUASH INTO ½” THICK SLICES AND ADD TO A POT WITH ENOUGH WATER TO COVER. HEAT UNTIL BOIL AND THEN TURN DOWN HEAT TO SIMMER UNTIL SOFT.
2) DICE ONION AND SAUTE WITH BUTTER UNTIL SOFT AND GLAZED
3) IN A BIG BOWL PUT SOUP AND ABOUT 8 OZ SOUR CREAM (ADJUST THIS INGREDIENT TO MAKE SAUCEY OR DRY). THEN ADD SAUTED ONIONS, PIMENTO PEPPERS ( TO TASTE) AND DICED CHESTNUTS (TO TASTE)
4) ADD SALT PEPPER TO TASTE
5) ONCE SQUASH IS TENDER DRAIN AND MASH WITH A POTATOE MASHER GOOD AND CHOPPED. ADD TO BOWL AND MIX THPROUGH TASTE TO CHECK ALL INGREDIENTS.
6) IN A SKILLET MELT ABOUT 1/3 TO ¼ STICK BUTTER AND ADD STUFFING TO BROWN, STIR NOT TO BURN.
7) IN CASSEROLE DISH ADD A THIN LAYER OF BROWNED STUFFING.
8 SPOON IN SQUAH MIXTURE UNTIL COVER BOTTOM LAYER.
9) BROWN SOME MORE STUFFING AND SPRINKLE ON TOP IN ANOTHER LAYER.
10) COOK FOR ABOUT 30 MINUTES AT 350 DEGREES

Edited by CATMAX, 27 June 2008 - 10:21 AM.

#29 juleebella

juleebella

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,862 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 10:22 AM

QUOTE (CATMAX @ Jun 27 2008, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
my wife makes this one and it has been given rave reviews by many people

SQUASH CASSEROLE

6-8 SMALL TO MEDIUM SQUASH
1- MEDIUM VIDALIA ONION
1 CAN CREAM OF CHICKEN SOUP
1 SAMLL JAR OF PIMENTO PEPPERS
1 CAN WATER CHESTNUTS SLICED (DICE INTO LITTLE CHUNKS)
1 CONTAINER OF SOUR CREAM
1 BAG OF PEPPERIDGE FARMS STUFFING
2 STICKS BUTTER

1) SLICE SQUASH INTO ½” THICK SLICES AND ADD TO A POT WITH ENOUGH WATER TO COVER. HEAT UNTIL BOIL AND THEN TURN DOWN HEAT TO SIMMER UNTIL SOFT.
2) DICE ONION AND SAUTE WITH BUTTER UNTIL SOFT AND GLAZED
3) IN A BIG BOWL PUT SOUP AND ABOUT 8 OZ SOUR CREAM (ADJUST THIS INGREDIENT TO MAKE SAUCEY OR DRY). THEN ADD SAUTED ONIONS, PIMENTO PEPPERS ( TO TASTE) AND DICED CHESTNUTS (TO TASTE)
4) ADD SALT PEPPER TO TASTE
5) ONCE SQUASH IS TENDER DRAIN AND MASH WITH A POTATOE MASHER GOOD AND CHOPPED. ADD TO BOWL AND MIX THPROUGH TASTE TO CHECK ALL INGREDIENTS.
6) IN A SKILLET MELT ABOUT 1/3 TO ¼ STICK BUTTER AND ADD STUFFING TO BROWN, STIR NOT TO BURN.
7) IN CASSEROLE DISH ADD A THIN LAYER OF BROWNED STUFFING.
8 SPOON IN SQUAH MIXTURE UNTIL COVER BOTTOM LAYER.
9) BROWN SOME MORE STUFFING AND SPRINKLE ON TOP IN ANOTHER LAYER.
10) COOK FOR ABOUT 30 MINUTES AT 350 DEGREES

That sounds like the one that I was talking about! Good stuff!

#30 mrshoward

mrshoward

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,340 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:53 AM

I know this is late in coming...

I inherited about 15 pounds of summer squash the other day.

I made this recipe last night and it was wonderful :

Allrecipes : Summer Squash Bread

smile.gif

A man must be excessively stupid, as well as uncharitable,
who believes that there is no virtue but on his own side, and that there
are not men as honest as himself who may differ from him in political principles.

- Joseph Addison

#31 krwills

krwills

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 06:24 AM

zucchini bread! My kids adore it smile.gif

You can go ahead and grate the zuchunni and freeze it in the amount needed for the zuchunni bread recipe. It work great and you can save a lot very quickly.
I also vote for the veggi lagasna. It's great, you just use sliced squash in place of the noodles.

The postings you may read may not always be the thoughts of both owners..

Posted Image

#32 Jola

Jola

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 01:21 PM

We have tons of squash right now, too. Slice the squash and a Vidalia onion and blanche them in water....don't add butter and all the good stuff. Let it cool and put it in freezer bags to enjoy later! Then around October when you're really missing all those fresh home grown veggies, pull out a bag and cook it like you normally would. It's ALMOST as good as fresh!!! I think it works best if you don't cook it all the way and try to squeeze out as much air as possible.

Love all the casserole recipes! thanks everybody.
It is never too late to be what you might have been. - George Eliot

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics