121 replies to this topic

#1 Beulah_Girl

Beulah_Girl

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:08 AM

Just found out that my fifth grader, who has made really good grades this year, missed passing one portion of the CRCT by 10 points and now has to go to summer school and retake.

#2 Paulding Navigator Team

Paulding Navigator Team

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:09 AM

QUOTE (Beulah_Girl @ May 13 2008, 12:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just found out that my fifth grader, who has made really good grades this year, missed passing one portion of the CRCT by 10 points and now has to go to summer school and retake.

that stinks!

#3 Just Denise

Just Denise

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:12 AM

You can appeal if you would like.

No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it.

~Albert Einstein Posted Image

I'm fat... apparently, that means I am lazy, indignant and unattractive!

#4 smoke #14

smoke #14

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:13 AM

my fifth grade step son failed his math by 8 points.He made good grades all year also.

#5 zoo

zoo

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,296 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:23 AM

How/where did you find out? My 3rd grader missed the first couple of days bc of strep and she had to make it all up in 2 days (tested all day) so Im not sure how she did.

#6 gummibearz

gummibearz

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:46 AM

QUOTE (zoo @ May 13 2008, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How/where did you find out? My 3rd grader missed the first couple of days bc of strep and she had to make it all up in 2 days (tested all day) so Im not sure how she did.

I'd like to know as well!

#7 Mole

Mole

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:48 AM

Summer school? We quit fretting the CRCT's once we found out that you can still move on to the next grade whether you pass or not.

#8 Ally

Ally

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:50 AM

What school? Did all the schools get the results?

#9 Mr Wonderful

Mr Wonderful

Icon

• Membr
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,592 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:52 AM

:::puts on seat belt, sits back, and waits for the ride to begin:::
Stupidity is an elemental force, and must be respected.

#10 Sassy One

Sassy One

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:52 AM

We are in the same boat with my eighth grader. Just misssed passing Math portion. Currently has a 90 in math, and no less than mega_shok.gif on report card all year. We will appeal. They can retake test in June without summer school. It is not madatory. I find it hard to believe a child will be able to improve their score with 12 days of summer school. We will use a tutor and start now I suppose. He is an A-B student in all classes all year, this kills me!

the emoticon replaced when I tried to write eighty above!

Edited by bmoregrl, 13 May 2008 - 11:53 AM.

#11 bellaprincess

bellaprincess

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:55 AM

QUOTE (Mole @ May 13 2008, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Summer school? We quit fretting the CRCT's once we found out that you can still move on to the next grade whether you pass or not.

3rd, 5th, and 8th have to retake the test if they fail it. They can not go on to the next grade without taking the retest.

QUOTE (sportsmom @ May 13 2008, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What school? Did all the schools get the results?

Schools were told to pick up their results yesterday. Someone will call you if your child failed, but only for the "critical" grades. (3,5,dirol.gif

Posted Image

#12 Mole

Mole

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:57 AM

QUOTE (bellaprincess @ May 13 2008, 12:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
3rd, 5th, and 8th have to retake the test if they fail it. They can not go on to the next grade without taking the retest.

The parents can still move the child forward if they choose. I've seen it done.

#13 Ally

Ally

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:59 AM

QUOTE (bellaprincess @ May 13 2008, 12:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Schools were told to pick up their results yesterday. Someone will call you if your child failed, but only for the "critical" grades. (3,5,dirol.gif

My son is in 5th but I haven't received a call yet. His teacher told them last week that several had not passed the writing portion.

#14 zoo

zoo

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,296 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE (Mole @ May 13 2008, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Someone told me that you can have them retest or go to summer school or at the parents request they can just move them up....so not sure why they say if they dont pass they dont move on wacko.gif

#15 bellaprincess

bellaprincess

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:02 PM

QUOTE (Mole @ May 13 2008, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are right they can move forward, but the state has made the requirement that they retake the test first to see if they pass. After that (if they fail again) you can appeal and they will move the child on.

Posted Image

#16 bellaprincess

bellaprincess

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:05 PM

QUOTE (sportsmom @ May 13 2008, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My son is in 5th but I haven't received a call yet. His teacher told them last week that several had not passed the writing portion.

They writing portion? I know that the writing tests they took back at the beginning of the semester came in at least a month ago, (my child did not do well on this either) The CRCT results just came in yesterday. I would think that by Friday if you haven't recieved a call he passed! biggrin.gif

Posted Image

#17 GAhorsegal

GAhorsegal

Paulding Com member

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:11 PM

Two years ago my son did not pass and had to go to summer school. I was dreading it, but it actually worked out fine. He had to go to Dallas Elementary for weeks ( I can't remember how many), but the teachers there are very good and he took the test over and it was done with no problems. I would have to say the worst part was the car line at that school, it was crazy. BTW, he didn't pass because some pages got stuck together and he got confused and marked the wrong bubbles, so it wasn't even for an academic reason either but you do what you have to sometimes.
Work it!

#18 smoke #14

smoke #14

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:21 PM

The teacher called my hubby yesterday.She said they are not telling the students,they are letting the parents tell them.Which I understand.She also said that there will only be 1 week of summer school then you take the test the next monday.I thought they went for a couple of weeks.

Edited by smoke #20, 13 May 2008 - 12:22 PM.

#19 Ally

Ally

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:24 PM

QUOTE (bellaprincess @ May 13 2008, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They writing portion? I know that the writing tests they took back at the beginning of the semester came in at least a month ago, (my child did not do well on this either) The CRCT results just came in yesterday. I would think that by Friday if you haven't recieved a call he passed! biggrin.gif

I never got the results to the writing test. I'm assuming it is the same test you are referring to. I just emailed my son's teacher regarding this, maybe she'll let me know soon.

#20 bellaprincess

bellaprincess

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:25 PM

QUOTE (smoke #20 @ May 13 2008, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The teacher called my hubby yesterday.She said they are not telling the students,they are letting the parents tell them.Which I understand.She also said that there will only be 1 week of summer school then you take the test the next monday.I thought they went for a couple of weeks.

Summer School Schedules
Dallas, Ga. (May 2, 2008) - The Paulding County School District will hold summer
school on the following dates.
Elementary Summer Learning Camp will be June 2 - 6 at each elementary school. This
is open for eligible students in grades 3-5, at no cost.
Middle School Summer School will be June 2 17, at each middle school. This is open
for eligible students in grades 6-8, at no cost.
High School Summer School will be at PCHS on June 2 - July 10, from 8:00 a.m. -1:30
p.m. for all Paulding County School District high school students who qualify. All
courses must be approved by a counselor where the student currently attends and
paperwork completed at the student's current school. Cost: Full year Carnegie
Unit course is $350; half Carnegie Unit course is $180. Payment is due upon
registration from May 12-May 30, at the school where the student currently
attends. Late registration will be held at PCHS only on May 29-30 from 9:00-3:00
p.m. Full year course finals will be July 10th.
(Out of county students must register at PCHS on May 29 30, from 9:00 a.m. - 3:00
p.m. Their tuition is $500 for full Carnegie Unit course).

Posted Image

#21 Cuteyellowbug

Cuteyellowbug

Textually Active

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,422 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:28 PM

When will parents be given the CRCT results? Can we call or go to the schools and get our child's results?

#22 bellaprincess

bellaprincess

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:30 PM

QUOTE (Cuteyellowbug @ May 13 2008, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When will parents be given the CRCT results? Can we call or go to the schools and get our child's results?

They only give out the results to parents of students that failed in the critical grades, otherwise they will be sent in the summer. (that's how they have done it in years past, but you never know)

Posted Image

#23 Beulah_Girl

Beulah_Girl

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:38 PM

Mine goes to Union. Mrs B started calling parents yesterday. She did say that the summer school was not mandatory, but I guess we'll go ahead and go if it might help my child pass the test. She told me that if they still don't pass, we can appeal.

I'm just so bummed because all that my child learned in school this year was how to take this test and still didn't pass it.

#24 Jet_man1969

Jet_man1969

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,280 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:57 PM

With all the kids that make A&B's having to retake the test just makes the argument for having to take the test in the first place. It apperas that alot of paulding teachers are giving artificially high grades.

#25 Lady Raider

Lady Raider

Super Icon

• +MPS extra
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75,477 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 01:01 PM

Have I said how glad I am my boys are out of school...
"The most dangerous place in the world to be is "Between a Mother and her Child"

Posted Image

In Loving Memory of My Daddy and Mama
3-29-08
and 10-24-2012

*say what you mean, and mean what you say*

#26 redneckgirrrlll

redneckgirrrlll

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,990 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 01:30 PM

Then I guess it would be wise for me to HOPE and PRAY I don't hear from my daughters teachers this week wink.gif She is an 8th grader, who's made great grades this entire year, but she was really really stressed over the math portion, and she says she feels like she didn't do so good. Guess I will wait and see

Let's go Hiram Hornets and HHS Band of Gold!!! Lets have a great season!!

#27 QTee

QTee

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 01:37 PM

Now everyone is dreading for their phones to ring. Are they calling alphabetical?

You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think ~QTee 2/12/2008

#28 LabMom

LabMom

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,530 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 02:00 PM

QUOTE (Jet_man1969 @ May 13 2008, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With all the kids that make A&B's having to retake the test just makes the argument for having to take the test in the first place. It apperas that alot of paulding teachers are giving artificially high grades.

Amen, the teachers are supposed to be "teaching to the test". It is a test over the grade level curriculum. If large groups of kids don't pass certain parts of the test, for example, identifying cause/effect relationships in reading, then perhaps the teachers, school, or district aren't placing enough emphasis on that skill. This test is not like the ITBS or other such aptitude tests. It is supposedly testing for the curriculum.
If the teacher isn't teaching the curriculum then most likely the kids are going to have a difficult time passing the test. I know that there are teachers whose work is too simple for the grade they are teaching. I know because I taught with some teachers like that. My kids, who had a "mean" demanding teacher passed the test. Many of the kids in other classes who made good grades because the teacher was using material that was below grade level didn't pass. When we started doing grade level planning and sharing of teaching materials, our 3rd grade pass rate shot up.

Sorry, I don't take guilt trips. I already travel too much as it is..

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons....For you are crunchy & good with ketchup!

Oh, but please, don't let the facts get in the way of your opinion.

#29 bellaprincess

bellaprincess

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:08 PM

From what I hear the Math was really hard this year with changing from QCC to GPS. sleep.gif My students just came home telling me about alot of kids that did not pass. (parents called last night)

Posted Image

#30 Cuteyellowbug

Cuteyellowbug

Textually Active

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,422 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:10 PM

Moses called the kids who didn't pass to pick up an envelope to take home today..... unsure.gif I don't know if it middle school rumor or true.. but he stated around 70 people didn't pass.

I didn't get one. Whhheeew! ph34r.gif

#31 bellaprincess

bellaprincess

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:13 PM

QUOTE (Cuteyellowbug @ May 13 2008, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Moses called the kids who didn't pass to pick up an envelope to take home today..... unsure.gif

I didn't get one. Whhheeew! ph34r.gif

yahoo.gif clapping.gif

Posted Image

#32 zoo

zoo

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,296 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:15 PM

my children brought home a letter from school today (elementary) saying those in 3/5 grade who did not pass have already received a phone call. My other school age child goes to middle but she is in 7th so Im guessing I wont hear about hers. She did say 100+ did not pass but who knows where she heard that from. I did hear from several parents of 8th graders that the math section was so hard.

#33 bellaprincess

bellaprincess

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:25 PM

Is it me, or do you think that 1/4 to 1/3 of the students not passing is crazy? (now of course these numbers are just based on rumor, but alot of people at different schools are hearing the same thing at their school)

Posted Image

#34 zoo

zoo

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,296 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:31 PM

QUOTE (bellaprincess @ May 13 2008, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is it me, or do you think that 1/4 to 1/3 of the students not passing is crazy? (now of course these numbers are just based on rumor, but alot of people at different schools are hearing the same thing at their school)

The only thing I think is crazy is that they go to school all yr to get 'prepared' for this test. Still not sure why they do homework/tests daily if it all comes down to this test.

I think this is horrible pressure/stress to put on kids and I also think some kids dont do well on bubble tests not to mention math was changed.... so I wouldnt be surprised if the number was high.

#35 Shawna1

Shawna1

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:32 PM

My daughter came home bawling her eyes out. She failed the math portion by 3 points. A lot of her friends failed it also. At least she will have someone she knows to go to summer school with her.
~Shawna Hughes- With you each step of the way~
~770-653-6787~
Shawna@mymaximumone.comMaximum One

#36 southernfried yankee

southernfried yankee

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:38 PM

We did the retest during the summer and my son missed it again by 4 points. We ran threw the appeal and it's not that easy, Parents can't just move them to the next grade.
He struggled with his grades all year due to learning problems and tests horribly but we had two great teachers who sat at that table with the principle and everyone else and went to bat for my kid.
My furs are not in storage, nor lying on the bed, they're dancing' round my feet, waiting to be fed.

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....

"I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt, and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts." - John Steinbeck

#37 tzume

tzume

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:41 PM

My son attends Moses and got a letter stating he failed the math portion by 5 points. I can't say I am shocked. This new math was very difficult for my son and myself. He got absolutely nothing out of his math class this school year. He said the line of students receiving these letters was very long. When I got home there was a message on my machine from one of the couselors wanting to discuss these results. What is there to discuss? He failed!

#38 UpgradedToPlatinum!

UpgradedToPlatinum!

One Day At A Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,308 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 03:50 PM

My daughter, who has always excelled, and gone above and beyond the "meets requirements", failed by 19 points. So we're doing summer school, too. I was totally shocked to get that phone call this morning. Her principal told me that LOTS of children unexpected failed the math portion.
Posted Image

#39 Cuteyellowbug

Cuteyellowbug

Textually Active

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,422 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 04:32 PM

wow.. lot of students didn't pass. What's the problem the way the subject is being taught or the testing? Just curious.

#40 Just Denise

Just Denise

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 04:38 PM

Do the schools get "extra" state funds for the number of students that attend summer school? ninja.gif

No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it.

~Albert Einstein Posted Image

I'm fat... apparently, that means I am lazy, indignant and unattractive!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics