13 replies to this topic

#1 Celeste

Celeste

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,457 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:13 AM

In this CNN op-ed piece, actors Jim Carrey and Jenny McCarthy reflect on their son’s recovery from autism in light of the recent federal court decision which conceded that vaccines could have contributed to another child’s autistic condition.

Carrey and McCarthy’s son, Evan, has been healed thanks to breakthroughs that may not be scientifically proven, but have definitely helped, such as a gluten-free, casein-free diet, vitamin supplementation, detox of metals, and anti-fungals for the yeast overgrowths that plagued his intestines. Once his neurological function was recovered through these medical treatments, speech therapy and applied behavior analysis helped him learn the skills he could not learn while he was frozen in autism.

When Evan was re-evaluated after these treatments, state workers were amazed by his improvement. But although Evan is now 5, not a single member of the CDC, the American Academy of Pediatrics, or any other health authority has asked to evaluate and understand how Evan recovered from autism. Instead, they simply posit that he was misdiagnosed and never had autism to begin with.

Carrey and McCarthy believe that autism is an environmental illness, and that while vaccines are not the only environmental trigger, they do play a major role. Even if the CDC is not convinced of a link between vaccines and autism, changing the vaccine schedule should be seriously considered as a precautionary measure.
Sources:

* CNN April 3, 2008

full CNN article
"The teacher who is indeed wise does not bid you to enter the house of his wisdom but rather leads you to the threshold of your mind." ~ Kahlil Gibran

#2 Tired of Bovine Excrement

Tired of Bovine Excrement

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:47 AM

It's not Jim Carrey's son. It's her son with her previous husband.
Posted Image
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary

I'd rather live as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than to live as if there is no God and die to find out there is.

"Legalistic remorse says, 'I broke God's rules,' while real repentance says, 'I broke God's heart." -Tim Keller

#3 Celeste

Celeste

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,457 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:57 AM

QUOTE (mrshans79 @ Apr 24 2008, 08:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's not Jim Carrey's son. It's her son with her previous husband.

I knew that but I think he has taken over the role of his father. I think he has been a huge influence in the boys life.

"The teacher who is indeed wise does not bid you to enter the house of his wisdom but rather leads you to the threshold of your mind." ~ Kahlil Gibran

#4 lulu

lulu

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,553 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:04 AM

I saw her (Jenny) on a talk show and she was so great! I commend her for taking action and researching and finding answers!!

I would love to read her book.

I also have a friend w/ autistic sons who has "controlled" their behaviors, mannerisms,etc. w/ diet and supplements (ie, cutting out certain foods, dyes, etc) I can tell a big difference!!

Posted Image

#5 Tired of Bovine Excrement

Tired of Bovine Excrement

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:05 AM

QUOTE (Celeste @ Apr 24 2008, 07:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I knew that but I think he has taken over the role of his father. I think he has been a huge influence in the boys life.

True, in the articles I've read he is a huge influence on the boy's life, but in the same articles it also says that the father-son bond with his own dad has been solidly reestablished. happy.gif
Posted Image
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary

I'd rather live as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than to live as if there is no God and die to find out there is.

"Legalistic remorse says, 'I broke God's rules,' while real repentance says, 'I broke God's heart." -Tim Keller

#6 Christy

Christy

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:31 AM

I read the book and it was great. Those kind of diets are expensive to keep up with though.
Be the kind of woman that
when your feet hit the floor
each morning the devil says
"Oh crap, she's up!"

#7 overit

overit

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:53 AM

I think you might open a can of worms with this one!
You have to add how expensive the treatments are....
the food diet do not work with all children with autism, as most are very picky eaters due to sensory issues
the money she paid out for PT,OT, Speech, Behavior Anyalist, the list goes on....

I think finding the cause and treatment for autism should be left to the researchers, doctors, and science people. I think one day the cause and treatment will be discovered.

I am truly happy Jenny "cured" her son, but what about all the families who can not afford the therapies insurance does not cover??

#8 LisaC

LisaC

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE (overit @ Apr 24 2008, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you might open a can of worms with this one!
You have to add how expensive the treatments are....
the food diet do not work with all children with autism, as most are very picky eaters due to sensory issues
the money she paid out for PT,OT, Speech, Behavior Anyalist, the list goes on....

I think finding the cause and treatment for autism should be left to the researchers, doctors, and science people. I think one day the cause and treatment will be discovered.

I am truly happy Jenny "cured" her son, but what about all the families who can not afford the therapies insurance does not cover??

So you only want the cheap cures to be publicized?

Sometimes no comment is the best comment.

#9 overit

overit

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 11:16 AM

QUOTE (LisaC @ Apr 24 2008, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So you only want the cheap cures to be publicized?

No that's not what I was saying.....I watched her on alot of TV shows, but there was no mention of how much it cost. I was wondering how much all the early intervention programs cost.

#10 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,335 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 11:32 AM

ABA alone, in studies involving autistic children, has been capable of 'recovering' kids with autism in close to half the cases. Typically the applied behaviorial analysis method in 40-60 hour per week intensive efforts will work with a large portion of the kids and will show dramatic improvements even on those who retain much of the quirkiness associated with the condition.

Whether it works better with the other aspects of diet, etc. has really not been tested but that the teaching method can have such a dramatic effect on those with autism is undisputed.... The only folks who continue to dispute it are educational administrators who balk at the idea of being forced to provide such an intense 'one-on-one' education for these kids.

Yep, it may take two or three years starting ideally at about age 2-3 but before age 5 to have the 'cure' rate.

And it costs money... significant money ... and that is why it isn't happening.

pubby

ABA alone, in studies involving autistic children, has been capable of 'recovering' kids with autism in close to half the cases. Typically the applied behaviorial analysis method in 40-60 hour per week intensive efforts will work with a large portion of the kids and will show dramatic improvements even on those who retain much of the quirkiness associated with the condition.

Whether it works better with the other aspects of diet, etc. has really not been tested but that the teaching method can have such a dramatic effect on those with autism is undisputed.... The only folks who continue to dispute it are educational administrators who balk at the idea of being forced to provide such an intense 'one-on-one' education for these kids.

Yep, it may take two or three years starting ideally at about age 2-3 but before age 5 to have the 'cure' rate.

And it costs money... significant money ... and that is why it isn't happening.

pubby

#11 Garnet1679

Garnet1679

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 03:02 PM

We have almost gone broke several times paying for my son's therapy right out of our pocket....our insurance covers nothing....ZIP. I read Jenny's book, cover to cover.....it did sound and even felt like much of what we have gone through, but she has had the money to do things the average parent couldn't dream of doing....like ordering a heart monitor to run a continuous EKG on her son through the night so she would know whether or not he had seizures. She also flew all over the country and called in favors from other actors and agents to get the best doctors on Autism. She also was able to pay to get him into a private program in UCLA for Autistic kids that most moms could never even afford, much less manage to skip ahead on the waiting list as Jenny's son was able. So yes, she may have gone through alot of the similar problems and emotions that other mothers of Autistic kids have, but she a resources that I know I personally can never dream of, nor will I ever be able to take advantage of....so big difference there already.
Posted Image

#12 crazy4boys

crazy4boys

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 04:51 PM

But perhaps through people like her, who have the resources to do it, standing up and saying "hey! this works!" the medical field will have to take another look at those methods and we can all stand up to insist it be MADE affordable. She didn't just bankroll her sons recovery, then sit fat and happy with her mouth shut - she's out there publicizing with the hopes that she can make a difference for ALL of us.

#13 Celeste

Celeste

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,457 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 07:29 PM

QUOTE (crazy4boys @ Oct 4 2008, 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
She didn't just bankroll her sons recovery, then sit fat and happy with her mouth shut - she's out there publicizing with the hopes that she can make a difference for ALL of us.

clapping.gif

#14 bellaprincess

bellaprincess

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 07:37 PM

It saddens me to know that there are things that can be done to help a child with Autism and that the lack of funds prevents it. It is just so wrong! How do the insurance companies get to deny therapy for someone that needs it? A child, at that.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics